Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

curlzy wrote: »
    You're right, irrational fears/hatred don't have anything to do with maturity. Recognising your fear is irrational and addressing the issue so as not to have hatred for an entire species of innocent animals, that's maturity.:D

Alternatively they could just continue to avoid cats and get on with their life, even though they have upset somebody on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

mikom wrote: »
    Cats are bitches, just using you for food, heat and lodging.

How many cats do you see sat with a homeless person?
    Now ask yourself how many dogs do you see sat with a homeless person?

Case closed.
    those dogs are only used as a tool to get more money from begging. people feel sorry for the little cute dog more than the scruffy tracksuit wearing begger.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

kylith wrote: »
    What really grinds my gears is that if a dog behaved like those cats it would be instantly put down, but for some reason it's ok for cats to act like homocidal maniacs.

Would it?

The dog that bit me lived to a ripe old age, while I was scared to go outside for months after the attack...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

only read pages one and the last page and i'm jumping in straight away with this: why the f'uck cant i dislike cats without being branded like there's something wrong with me!?

if i started a thread asking why irish people had a pathological hatred of frogs legs, cold weather or rain you'd think i was a nut job - but if i dont like cats i'm an underevolved moron!

god i love AH! :p

Hey BigBiffo, no one's giving out about people disliking cats, that's fair enough. What people have a problem with is HATRED of cats. And the utter scumbags like "newmug" that brag on this forum about kicking one to death, surely you can see the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Shenshen wrote: »
    Would it?

The dog that bit me lived to a ripe old age, while I was scared to go outside for months after the attack...
    I'm sorry that you were so upset by it.

Dogs are put down these days for snapping or even for growling, not just for 'vicious' bites, no matter what the provokation to the dog, whereas cats bite and scratch every day and despite the fac that they have more communicable diseases than dogs, no one bats an eyelid. I'd go so far as to say that if a child was mauled by a cat and the parent wanted the cat destroyed people would think they were mad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

How is this thread on 330+ posts?

They are animals! Not people! End of.

Copper23 wrote: »
    End of.

eh....... nope:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I heard that if you died, a dog would stay with you or go to find help but a cat would facebook all his mates and have a rape party.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Alternatively they could just continue to avoid cats and get on with their life, even though they have upset somebody on the internet.

Which would be just lovely, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that at all. I would love to see people that don't like cats just ignore them, it's the likes of "newmug" bragging on this thread about shooting them and kicking them to death that gets people worked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I ****ING HATE CATS!!
    And I'm a lesbian, so like my favorite thing after women and motorcycles is supposed to be cats..

Nah, you're thinking of pussy :p

• Advertisement

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Nah, you're thinking of pussy :p

About 20 pages too late :D

Which would be just lovely, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that at all. I would love to see people that don't like cats just ignore them, it's the likes of "newmug" bragging on this thread about shooting them and kicking them to death that gets people worked up.
    He should be entitled to do what he wants without being harassed by the likes of you.
    I welcome his honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

About 20 pages too late :D

Doh!

Ah well, never too late to think of pussy I suppose ;)

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Doh!

Ah well, never too late to think of pussy I suppose ;)

BAZINGA!!!!! And you're back in the game. I doff my cap sir :D

He should be entitled to do what he wants without being harassed by the likes of you.
    I welcome his honesty.

His honesty about murdering innocent animals??? You ripping the piss??? You're very much mistaken if you think people are entitled to go around killing animals because they don't like them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Domesticated cats, yes. Their wild cousins, not so much.

It's fairly simple, domesticated cat get fed. They still hunt, it's the instinct, but not being hungry they have not interest in killing and eating the prey as fast as possible, they're more interested in the "entertainment".
    Dogs will actually do much the same, only due to their average size and strength they end up killing their prey faster, but they can then spend hours playing with the corpses. If their humans let them, that is.
    I don't agree. Having had a few dogs and one cat in my care I've never seen a dog play with a corpse. They either kill it and eat it on the spot or leave it. I suppose that may be down to dogs being more likely to eat until they burst. The term wolf it down is well named. Fewer dogs will leave food in their dish the way cats do. I have defo never heard of a dog act the way a previous users cat did by putting multiple prey animals where they can't escape to play with them later.
    Right... totally different to when humans introduced dogs to ecosystems that weren't used to hunters, right?
    Certainly they would have had an impact alright when early man showed up to a virgin landscape. Previous archaic humans when they arrive in an area don't seem to have nearly the impact on local fauna, especially larg local fauna as when we moderns show up(presumably with dogs in tow). You could almost date our arrivals with mass extinctions that occur.

Even native groups that now are seen as conservationalists by hippies. Though the usual culprit is seen as the bad European coloniser. Australian Aboriginal people for example. So "in touch" with nature that when they first arrived they set huge fires to flush out prey animals and their arrival killed off a large section of the Australian megafauna. Ditto more recently with the Maori who only arrived in the 14 century and wiped out countless species(moas being the most obvious). Native Americans would stampede buffalo over cliffs in a very wasteful practice.

Humans are the worst for this, but of the non native species we have introduced, three stand out as major extinction drivers, rats, pigs and cats. Far more than dogs. Again we're to blame for releasing them and every cat owner out there that doesn't neuter their cats or put bells on their necks is to blame today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

His honesty about murdering innocent animals??? You ripping the piss??? You're very much mistaken if you think people are entitled to go around killing animals because they don't like them.
    How do you know they were innocent?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You're very much mistaken if you think people are entitled to go around killing animals because they don't like them.
    I would agree. I don't care if someone likes or doesnt like any animal but going around killing them(outside of hunting, conservation or food) is one sick bugger. Ironically mirroring the cats they hate who will "torture" and kill smaller animals for fun.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Because he said he killed them because they were on his land and he kicked one to death for entering his house, (that sounds pretty innocent to me). I'm going to assume you're trolling because you're defending the indefensible. I'm not interested in chatting with someone who's obviously just out to wind me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

They were hardly selling drugs to kids.

Probably.

• Advertisement

Because he said he killed them because they were on his land and he kicked one to death for entering his house, (that sounds pretty innocent to me). I'm going to assume you're trolling because you're defending the indefensible. I'm not interested in chatting with someone who's obviously just out to wind me up.
    Trespassing and breaking & entering. They don't sound like pillars of the community to me.

Trespassing and breaking & entering. They don't sound like pillars of the community to me.

Oh it's back to a joke now you're losing. pfffffft LOSER:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I love to pet my pussy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

I ****ing hate cats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Wibbs wrote: »
    I don't agree. Having had a few dogs and one cat in my care I've never seen a dog play with a corpse. They either kill it and eat it on the spot or leave it. I suppose that may be down to dogs being more likely to eat until they burst. The term wolf it down is well named. Fewer dogs will leave food in their dish the way cats do. I have defo never heard of a dog act the way a previous users cat did by putting multiple prey animals where they can't escape to play with them later.

Humans are the worst for this, but of the non native species we have introduced, three stand out as major extinction drivers, rats, pigs and cats. Far more than dogs. Again we're to blame for releasing them and every cat owner out there that doesn't neuter their cats or put bells on their necks is to blame today.

I've had hunting dogs and A cat, and all give great pleasure. Dogs are perhaps more attached to the owner whereas cats display greater independence. That said both are wonderful, dogs for energy and companionship, cats for their cunning elegance and independence. I think it is the cat's independence that people reject and get upset about, maybe such people should have pet mice?

Hunting dogs do also play with captured prey eg rats or crows, a kind of training trophy display?

Oh it's back to a joke now you're losing. pfffffft LOSER:p
    I'm deadly serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Greg, how come you don't like cats?

I don't not like cats. I-l just-- I just prefer dogs. I mean, I'm just more of a dog kind of, you know, come home, wagging their little tails, happy to see you kind of--
    You need that assurance? You prefer an emotionally shallow animal?

I--

You see, Greg, when you yell at a dog, his tail will go between his legs and cover his genitals, his ears will go down. A dog is very easy to break, but cats make you work for their affection. They don't sell out the way dogs do

I'm deadly serious.

You're deadly serious in saying that cat's aren't pillars of the community? You drunk or something?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In relation to cats biting, often cats will "nip", ie. bite lightly, as a warning. This is a world apart from a proper bite. Not saying this is always the case, but it's possible people could confuse a nip with a proper attempt at a bite if they were unfamiliar with the behavior.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

You're deadly serious in saying that cat's aren't pillars of the community? You drunk or something?
    You're saying they are?

Advertisement