Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That's not how they work. Stop posting scaremongering stuff.

They only take a measurement at approx 20M away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

minimum range: 15 metres/50 feet
    maximum range 610 metres/2000 feet
    minium detection speed: 5mph
    maximum detection speed: 155mph

Go figure...

Post some proof before I get an itchy finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

franksm wrote: »
    maximum detection speed: 155mph

Interesting :D, sounds like a challenge!

Post some proof before I get an itchy finger.

Say 'please' !

These are from the suppliers of the detection equipment, based in Co. Kildare.

There are three units mainly in use in various forms – handheld, fixed and handhelds mounted on an adjustable frame (eg. in the back of a van)

Minimum 50 feet/15m, maximum 2460 feet/750m http://www.teletrafficuk.com/products_truspeed.htm
    Minimum 20m, maximum 1000m http://www.teletrafficuk.com/products_ultralyte1000.htm
    Third unit is mobile Gatso and has a maximum range of 2000m, but I can’t find a URL to it right now.

More info on the main detector here, including a nice PDF for your pleasure http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/freedom-of-information/released-information1/foi-archive-research1/18834-LTI20-20-Ultralyte1000/

• Advertisement

The vans used here do not use laser equipment. They are very low powered ka band radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

minium detection speed: 5mph

so i could get done for speeding in tescos car park;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Travelling on the cork to mallow road last about 3am,I was travelling at 100kph but the van still flashed at me?

Do they take pictures of a cars passing or just the ones speeding?

It definitely flashed the camera found it very very strange, was tempted to pull in and go ask him:(

Is there a 80 zone just past the blarney turn off if your heading towards mallow?

reason i know i was doing limit is i had passed him 10 mins before going the other direction, so i knew he was there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Say 'please' !

These are from the suppliers of the detection equipment, based in Co. Kildare.

There are three units mainly in use in various forms – handheld, fixed and handhelds mounted on an adjustable frame (eg. in the back of a van)

Minimum 50 feet/15m, maximum 2460 feet/750m http://www.teletrafficuk.com/products_truspeed.htm
    Minimum 20m, maximum 1000m http://www.teletrafficuk.com/products_ultralyte1000.htm
    Third unit is mobile Gatso and has a maximum range of 2000m, but I can’t find a URL to it right now.

More info on the main detector here, including a nice PDF for your pleasure http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/freedom-of-information/released-information1/foi-archive-research1/18834-LTI20-20-Ultralyte1000/

Utter internet garbage from the first line.

All GoSafe vans are outfitted by RedFlex based out of Arizona in the good old US of A. Based on low powered, polarised, K Band radar.

What you just posted are Laser (Lidar) guns based in the 905nm band chiefly used by An Garda Siochana in mobile applications. Absolutely nothing to do with the GoSafe or any vans in operation in Ireland.

Further more, just because my rifle can shoot 3 miles, doesn't mean I shoot it 3 miles every time. Most detections are under 100m. And its quite correct to say these vans operation at under 20m. Ever tried shooting something with a laser even at 100m? Its damn near impossible. No one will ever get a ticket for being clocked at 2460ft. Thats ridiculous. The max most Garda will do is about the length of your average off/on ramp.

You clearly have absolutely, positively no idea what your talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

ironclaw wrote: »
    Most detections are under 100m. .
    This raises issues about the effectivness of safety law enforcement.

GalwayGirl92 was obviously speeding in an area where she must have been aware of the speed limit as it was near where she lives. But, due to the 100m range used and the high visibility of the GoSafe vehicle, she has probably avoided being brought to account for her wrongdoing and and has not as yet come to the attention of her insurance company or Gardai.

This is a common problem, and a huge percentage of motorists continue to break speed limits with impunity.

What's the best way of remedying this defect in road safety measures?

Incognito van colours would probably raise safety issues for the operatives, risking collision from the very people they're trying to put off the road.. Remotely operated static cams would probably be targetted by members of the speeding community and destroyed.

Any other solutions out there?

• Advertisement

<blah blah blah>

Someone piss on your parade ? LOL

Internet-Warrior-500x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

<blah blah blah>

Someone piss on your parade ? LOL

Internet-Warrior-500x400.jpg

Dont be getting upset frank, it's not your fault that you haven't a clues what you're taking about.

Go back to the first page of this thread and enlighten yourself, then you can come back and enlighten us.

Another useless, dorky, holier-than-thou reply, thanks Mike.

I am pretty sure the first page in the thread does not mention minimum or maximum detection distances. Maybe you can go back there yourself and enlighten us.

Another useless, dorky, holier-than-thou reply, thanks Mike.

I am pretty sure the first page in the thread does not mention minimum or maximum detection distances. Maybe you can go back there yourself and enlighten us.

Read some of my previous posts, instead of complaining about replies you get highlighting inaccuracies that you have posted.

I appreciate that it is a very long thread, but in the first few pages exists info that explains a lot,.and what it does't explain can be researched by using what has been stated as a good starting point.

This is well worth a read (its in the first post of this thread)
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056091811

As for the range of a gosafe van.... The radar and camera look out the rear window at an angle of approx 24°

So using that angle you can work out the distance that the camera operates (speed reading and photo taken at same time)

I appreciate that, but why not explain that and reply to GalwayGirl's question with facts rather than "it's not your fault that you haven't a clues what you're taking about" ?

I provided the facts I found, with links to external sources and to be clear, I still haven't seen objective facts here about the radar-based systems other than some Boards posts which amount to nothing more than hearsay.

The first page could be updated with the facts I found on the laser-based systems plus whatever exists about the the radar systems.

I appreciate that, but why not explain that and reply to GalwayGirl's question with facts rather than "it's not your fault that you haven't a clues what you're taking about" ?

I provided the facts I found, with links to external sources and to be clear, I still haven't seen objective facts here about the radar-based systems other than some Boards posts which amount to nothing more than hearsay.

The first page could be updated with the facts I found on the laser-based systems plus whatever exists about the the radar systems.

I've stated multiple times what system is being used and.its specs, there comes a time when you just get fed up repeating yourself.

All the info is out there for anyone that wants to do a little research, theres no need for.anyone to get pissy when what they state is debunked.

trust me. My info is 100% correct.
    Just read my previous posts.

There are a few guys on here that will vouch for my info

reply to GalwayGirl's question with facts rather
    She'll get the information she needs by post.

I'm not sure it's a good idea if the operational range of the detectors is known. It might only help people who want to break the law without being caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

opti0nal wrote: »
    She'll get the information she needs by post.

I'm not sure it's a good idea if the operational range of the detectors is known. It might only help people who want to break the law without being caught?

All the information's out there, we're just discussing it.

Start a different thread if you want to have a circular argument about the rights and wrongs of exceeding the speed limit. Don't ruin this one.

AltAccount wrote: »
    Start a different thread if you want to have a circular argument about the rights and wrongs of exceeding the speed limit. Don't ruin this one.
    Breaking the law is wrong. No new thread needed.

The issue I raise is whether or not disclosing the operational parameters of law-enforcement activities is a good idea, given that it might facilitate or encourage law-breaking.

These details are in the public domain. There is no problem discussing them here.

• Advertisement

These details are in the public domain. There is no problem discussing them here.
    It may be in the public domain, but does propagating this information help or hinder speed-limit enforcement?

It makes no difference. Now drop the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

opti0nal wrote: »
    It may be in the public domain, but does propagating this information help or hinder speed-limit enforcement?

The chances of the average Irish driver, seeing, responding and slowing down in the distance is minimal. And even so, just because they operate from 100m to 20m doesn't mean they will ever time. So really knowing the range doesn't affect most drivers. Either way, you have to see it before they can snap you, so that is your range. Whether you get caught or not is your reaction time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

I see this thread is still going in circles :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Tapped the go pedal to blip past a BMW that was doing almost 100mph and suddenly slowed down to 60 on the M6 today only to notice a Garda van in a layby and slow down to 120kmph from 135 or so, anyone been in this situation and gotten points ?

Was on way back from the Motors meet and to make it worse the BMW and 5-6 other cars blasted by me as i did a steady 120-125kmph for the rest of the journey, would they allot for the fact i was overtaking or ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Tapped the go pedal to blip past a BMW that was doing almost 100mph and suddenly slowed down to 60 on the M6 today only to notice a Garda van in a layby and slow down to 120kmph from 135 or so, anyone been in this situation and gotten points ?

Was on way back from the Motors meet and to make it worse the BMW and 5-6 other cars blasted by me as i did a steady 120-125kmph for the rest of the journey, would they allot for the fact i was overtaking or ?

Thanks

If theres more then one car in the picture the ticket is void ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

When i was passing/parallel to the BM i was doing 135 or so and i allowed the car to slow naturally instead of braking so as not to brake in the BM's face, was doing 120 just before coming parallel to the Garda car i think.

My gut feeling is i was caught though even though i didn't even look to see the speedgun, kicking myself now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

Theres always one, I'll take the bait.. It's a wide angled lens so things aren't as they seem..

Hes still in front of him... that means he's not driving close enough DUH

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jerryqu

I was driving a HGV east on the N73 out of Mitchelstown when i passed a gosafe van which was cleverly masked until the last minute by an overhanging tree.
    Because of the long down slope I had inadvertently coasted up to 90Kph - 10 Kph over the HGVs ordinary speed limit of 80kph.
    My question is can the gosafe equipment automatically tell the difference between cars and lorries or does the MK I eyeball inside need to manually snap HGVs as they pass by the van?
    - I can hardly sleep wondering..

• Advertisement

jerryqu wrote: »
    I was driving a HGV east on the N73 out of Mitchelstown when i passed a gosafe van which was cleverly masked until the last minute by an overhanging tree.
    Because of the long down slope I had inadvertently coasted up to 90Kph -
    So, if the van had not been masked by a tree, would your speed have inadvertently drifted up?

Advertisement