Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

The white unmarked ones are painful, on the Cork side of Mallow this morning one sitting in the hard shoulder in the 60 zone, hard to keep bang on 60 with traffic from Mallow town merging from the left.
    I probably got caught at 65 or something while changing lanes.
    So much for them being a visible deterrent...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Maruney wrote: »
    The white unmarked ones are painful, on the Cork side of Mallow this morning one sitting in the hard shoulder in the 60 zone, hard to keep bang on 60 with traffic from Mallow town merging from the left.
    I probably got caught at 65 or something while changing lanes.
    So much for them being a visible deterrent...

White unmarked ones are more than likely Garda TC vans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

-Chris- wrote: »
    Do you seriously not get his point??

they are both talking ****. one is going yes the other is going no every couple of pages.

(like the Nct). everyone here believes they are not corrupt.

wasting ur time arguing here.

know alls start coming in and screwing the whole thing up here.

And IrishSpeedTraps.com will stop charging for its speed trap avoidance service?

To support your claim that it's a revenue raising exercise, say how much net profit is made from speeding fines?

just to keep the Fight going!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-410449/Undercover-probe-reveals-buckets-money-speed-cameras.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/1571469/Anger-as-fines-from-speed-cameras-soar.html

Good reading as well
    http://www.speedcameras.org/speed_camera_facts.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

A related rant.....cops out on the 80 kmph stretch of the N2/M2 yesterday with the speed gun. This is a brand new 4 lane HQDC. How in the name of God is that a safety issue. The old single lane road which runs parallel to this has the same speed limit so perhaps a better place to patrol. Definitely a case of getting the end of the month stats up. The more I see of the laziness of the Irish traffic Corp the more I despair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

And IrishSpeedTraps.com will stop charging for its speed trap avoidance service?
    How do you think we should pay for the running and development of the web site then? Will you fund it?
    To support your claim that it's a revenue raising exercise, say how much net profit is made from speeding fines?
    Ask the Garda Press Office, they won't give out those stats. You might have more luch than we've had.

well if it is anything like the money they make in england. it is loads of money form speed cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Will you fund it?
    Thank you for asking: By punting your service in boards.ie postings and charging money for the app.
    Ask the Garda Press Office, they won't give out those stats. You might have more luch than we've had.
    You're the one making the claim. Back up what you say. Make an estimate if necessary, give an analysis how you arrived at it. Costing for personnel, vehicles, equipment vs income generated from fines. Then, factor in the economic benefits of lives saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This is the second thread where you have asked questions about the funding/profitability of irishspeedtraps.com.

In both cases it has not been relevant to the thread. Please stop attacking this poster personally and instead address the content of the post.
    Thank you for asking: By punting your service in boards.ie postings and charging money for the app.

I've asked you already not to attack irishspeedtraps.com.

Cyclopath2001 banned for 3 days for ignoring Mod instruction.

I've asked you already not to attack irishspeedtraps.com.

Cyclopath2001 banned for 3 days for ignoring Mod instruction.

good stop gob****es wrecking the thread every 2 mins slagging each other

• Advertisement

good stop gob****es wrecking the thread every 2 mins slagging each other

JamesBond2010 banned fro 3 days for personal insults.

You can't call another poster a gob****e and expect it to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Uggoon

Re speed camera vans, I've been told that you cant be taken to court for non payment of the fine and that you wont be logged with points ether. But however if you pay the fine, you get logged with the points as your admitting the crime!!

Uggoon wrote: »
    Re speed camera vans, I've been told that you cant be taken to court for non payment of the fine and that you wont be logged with points ether. But however if you pay the fine, you get logged with the points as your admitting the crime!!

Can you post a link to back up that information/advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Uggoon

Unfortunately I cant post a link or site, but I've been informed its all to do with a loophole within the summonsing authority. IE only a Garda can summons a speeding motorist. As the speed vans are operated by non Garda staff, they may not be in a position to summons. As I say I've only been told this.. :D:D

Uggoon wrote: »
    Unfortunately I cant post a link or site, but I've been informed its all to do with a loophole within the summonsing authority. IE only a Garda can summons a speeding motorist. As the speed vans are operated by non Garda staff, they may not be in a position to summons. As I say I've only been told this.. :D:D

GoSafe are operating under the direction of the Gardai, effectively acting as their agents/representatives.
    I'd be surprised if they didn't have a clause that allowed for this.

GoSafe are operating under the direction of the Gardai, effectively acting as their agents/representatives.
    I'd be surprised if they didn't have a clause that allowed for this.

Summons are issued in the name of the Inspector in charge of the FCPS system. The summons are brought to court and the go safe operator is called as a witness and gives evidence as to operating the vehicle.

Any Garda name can be on the summons.....same way if you as a civilian report dangerous driving to Garda Bloggs, Garda Bloggs summons the offending party and you are the witness in court.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

NGA wrote: »
    Summons are issued in the name of the Inspector in charge of the FCPS system. The summons are brought to court and the go safe operator is called as a witness and gives evidence as to operating the vehicle.

Any Garda name can be on the summons.....same way if you as a civilian report dangerous driving to Garda Bloggs, Garda Bloggs summons the offending party and you are the witness in court.

Not a case of your word against theirs, like a normal civilian report which tend to get ignored as a result?

Sully wrote: »
    Not a case of your word against theirs, like a normal civilian report which tend to get ignored as a result?

Civilian reports are never ignore, however if said civilian refuses to make a statement and go to court then we have nothing to go on.

In regards your word vs them, they have video evidence with is covered under the RTA. The RTA makes no reference to who operates the equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am sure that will unravel at some stage when someone with the money takes go safe to the superior courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Did anyone else see the report in the Liffey Champion about 2 months ago

Judge Zaidan , who I have seen reports of putting people in prison for speeding , throwing out 3 gosafe cases because I think he wouldn't accept their credentials. I am not a lawyer so I didn't really understand what happened , but from my simple reading it looked like Judge Zaidan asked the gosafe chap to prove they were trained on the equipment etc , they couldn't produce the certs so the cases were thrown out. Judge Zaidan said something like ' the whole private speed camara thing is a mess '

I have searched everywhere for a link or whatever , Liffey Champion are not on line , I am surprised that the Nationals didn't pick it up at the time .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭reiger

normally judge Desmond Zaidan aint too far off the mark in his observations,saw him in action a few times when he was in donegal.he calls it as it is,hence he may not be liked with many law/finance makers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

reiger wrote: »
    normally judge Desmond Zaidan aint too far off the mark in his observations,saw him in action a few times when he was in donegal.he calls it as it is,hence he may not be liked with many law/finance makers.

I couldn't resist Googling a name like Desmond Zaidan. He seems to be one of those judges who make court reports enjoyable reading, and has even inspired a Bebo fan club.
    Judge Zaidan loses his cool over speeding

28 October 2009

JAIL sentences were last week handed down to three men in separate cases for travelling at speeds approaching 200km/h on Kildare's roads.

Local district court judge Desmond Zaidan described the speeds in the cases before him at Naas and Kildare District Courts as some of the worst he had ever seen in his career as a judge.

He said the the speeds were "suicidal". And in a warning to Kildare road users from the bench, he said that the message had to go out that such speeding wouldn't be tolerated.

Commenting in court on the spate of cases, Judge Zaidan said: "This redefines the word dangerous. So many people have lost their lives as a result of speed."

He told one driver that he could have been "driving his own coffin. This is madness".

Totally OT, but I particularly liked this report:
    Intrigued judge goes easier on Mr Happy

February 23 2010

Mr Happy appeared in court yesterday -- but he avoided a more serious sentence after the judge became intrigued with not just his name but that of his employer's too.

When John Happy appeared at Naas District Court over motoring offences, Judge Desmond Zaidan heard he worked as a care assistant for a firm called TLC.

"What does TLC stand for?" the judge asked.

"Tender Loving Care (a nursing home)," replied Tony Hanahoe, solicitor for Mr Happy.

"How can I sentence someone to prison who works for a company called Tender Loving Care, and whose name is Mr Happy?" the judge wondered aloud.

Mr Happy, of Church Court, Craddockstown, Naas, Co Kildare, was charged with failing to remain at the scene of an accident after he struck another vehicle in a car park on August 7 last year.

The court heard the incident was caught on CCTV, and gardai were able to trace him from his car registration. When questioned by gardai, he said he was not aware he had hit a car.

"I don't accept that," the judge said. "If you hit a stone, you'd know about it. You would know you hit a car."

The judge said it was a shame Mr Happy did not demonstrate tender loving care in his driving.
    I didn't find any comments from Judge Zaidan on the subject of speed cameras, but I wouldn't doubt that he'd have something to say on the topic if he thought there was anything amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I couldn't resist Googling a name like Desmond Zaidan. He seems to be one of those judges who make court reports enjoyable reading, and has even inspired a Bebo fan club.
    Judge Zaidan loses his cool over speeding

28 October 2009

JAIL sentences were last week handed down to three men in separate cases for travelling at speeds approaching 200km/h on Kildare's roads.

Local district court judge Desmond Zaidan described the speeds in the cases before him at Naas and Kildare District Courts as some of the worst he had ever seen in his career as a judge.

He said the the speeds were "suicidal". And in a warning to Kildare road users from the bench, he said that the message had to go out that such speeding wouldn't be tolerated.

Commenting in court on the spate of cases, Judge Zaidan said: "This redefines the word dangerous. So many people have lost their lives as a result of speed."

He told one driver that he could have been "driving his own coffin. This is madness".

Totally OT, but I particularly liked this report:
    Intrigued judge goes easier on Mr Happy

February 23 2010

Mr Happy appeared in court yesterday -- but he avoided a more serious sentence after the judge became intrigued with not just his name but that of his employer's too.

When John Happy appeared at Naas District Court over motoring offences, Judge Desmond Zaidan heard he worked as a care assistant for a firm called TLC.

"What does TLC stand for?" the judge asked.

"Tender Loving Care (a nursing home)," replied Tony Hanahoe, solicitor for Mr Happy.

"How can I sentence someone to prison who works for a company called Tender Loving Care, and whose name is Mr Happy?" the judge wondered aloud.

Mr Happy, of Church Court, Craddockstown, Naas, Co Kildare, was charged with failing to remain at the scene of an accident after he struck another vehicle in a car park on August 7 last year.

The court heard the incident was caught on CCTV, and gardai were able to trace him from his car registration. When questioned by gardai, he said he was not aware he had hit a car.

"I don't accept that," the judge said. "If you hit a stone, you'd know about it. You would know you hit a car."

The judge said it was a shame Mr Happy did not demonstrate tender loving care in his driving.
    I didn't find any comments from Judge Zaidan on the subject of speed cameras, but I wouldn't doubt that he'd have something to say on the topic if he thought there was anything amiss.

Off to change my name by deed poll to mr safety happy fluffy mc puppy. :D:D

RustyNut wrote: »
    Off to change my name by deed poll to mr safety happy fluffy mc puppy. :D:D

I think you may be on to something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

28 October 2009

That all sounds lovely and in line with what people expect to be necessary regulations etc.

However, I'm assuming (as I think I've heard previously) that these speeds were done on the motorway and seeing that the condition of these particular motorways is nearly better than the Autobahn (which has no limits), how can he consider it as suicidal?

They are breaking the law, sure. Playing with God? Please..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

NGA wrote: »
    Civilian reports are never ignore, however if said civilian refuses to make a statement and go to court then we have nothing to go on.

In regards your word vs them, they have video evidence with is covered under the RTA. The RTA makes no reference to who operates the equipment.

Iv given my number a good few times when reporting dangerous driving and never hard nawt back. How do the Guards make the call as to when a statement should be taken?

That all sounds lovely and in line with what people expect to be necessary regulations etc.

However, I'm assuming (as I think I've heard previously) that these speeds were done on the motorway and seeing that the condition of these particular motorways is nearly better than the Autobahn (which has no limits), how can he consider it as suicidal?

They are breaking the law, sure. Playing with God? Please..

Since the speed limit on a motorway is 120 kph, a collision with a vehicle travelling at 200 kph (albeit in the same direction) could be disastrous. Perhaps "suicidal" is not the best adjective in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Since the speed limit on a motorway is 120 kph, a collision with a vehicle travelling at 200 kph (albeit in the same direction) could be disastrous. Perhaps "suicidal" is not the best adjective in this context.

200km/h on any Irish road is suicide. As much as I like abit of a cruise that type of speed is stupid. Even last night in the pouring rain a Merc flew past me at well over 160km/h just here on the M11 Anyone who drives that route will know the road surface there in any type of rain is a skid pan.

I have no issue with people who want to drive fast as long as they know how to handle there car and more importantly, know when its appropriate to travel at excessive speeds. Sadly I know of few Irish drivers who appreciate that.

Anyway, on the issue of speeding, there actually is no point in Ireland. If you took a 100km route, Car A does it at a steady 120Km/h and Car B speeds at 150km/h, Car A does it in about 50 mins and Car B does it in about 10 minutes less. In all honesty, who has to get there in 10 minutes less time? To put that in context, on a trip from Dublin to Galway, you'd save 20 mins if you could maintain your speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

ironclaw wrote: »
    200km/h on any Irish road is suicide. As much as I like abit of a cruise that type of speed is stupid. Even last night in the pouring rain a Merc flew past me at well over 160km/h just here on the M11 Anyone who drives that route will know the road surface there in any type of rain is a skid pan.

I have no issue with people who want to drive fast as long as they know how to handle there car and more importantly, know when its appropriate to travel at excessive speeds. Sadly I know of few Irish drivers who appreciate that.

Anyway, on the issue of speeding, there actually is no point in Ireland. If you took a 100km route, Car A does it at a steady 120Km/h and Car B speeds at 150km/h, Car A does it in about 50 mins and Car B does it in about 10 minutes less. In all honesty, who has to get there in 10 minutes less time? To put that in context, on a trip from Dublin to Galway, you'd save 20 mins if you could maintain your speed.

You have exactly made the point that so many drivers seem unable to grasp. Some years ago I was working for a company based on the outskirts of Waterford. One of our guys came into my office to complain that he had just been clocked for speeding at 60 clicks in a 50 zone driving a works van from Tramore, 12 km away. I couldn't resist pointing out to him that if he had stuck to the limit he would have arrived in 14 and a half minutes. At 60 he would have done it in 12 minutes. The saving of
    1 1/2 minutes was a bit irrelevant as he had just taken 10 minutes complaining to me about it!

On a similar point, how many of us have been overtaken by someone who doesn't know what speed limits are only to find them the next car ahead at the traffic lights?

I am not a slow driver. I have driven a lot of high performance cars in my life, and I can drive well over the ton with the best of 'em. But I can't see the point when it's not going to get me any benefit other than extra consumption of expensive fuel, and it might earn me some penalty points!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ironclaw wrote: »

Marine Road in Dun Laoighaire would be suicide at about 80km/h I think...

(think your link's gone wrong)

Advertisement