Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

They use IR flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

joujoujou wrote: »
    They use IR flash.

And you can see it on dashcam footage. ;)

Unregistered Users

I'm aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cummins138

Unfortunately I don't have a dash cam so I can't say if they were recording and used a flash or not

Unregistered Users

Even though, they flash at everything passing by, regardless of speed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

joujoujou wrote: »
    Even though, they flash at everything passing by, regardless of speed. :)

I'm aware of that. :D

Unregistered Users

Wasn't you I replied to. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cummins138

Yeah they'd only flash if they were recording speeds. So if they were packing up they might have not flashed/recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Aston martin

i
    I was on the motorway last night. I was probably 10-20kph over the speed limit. I passed a speed van with rear door towards me, with the rear doors open and the tripod outside. I couldn't see any operator.
    Reckon I'm caught or got lucky and he wasn't recording? I heard before that the tripod has to be inside and doors closed.

ITS UNLIKELY THAT YOU WERE CAUGHT < IF YOUR WERE ASK FOR THE PICTURE , IT SHOULD SHOW THE TRIPOD AND YOU COULD BE IN THE RIGHT IT CAN't TAKE A READING AS WASN'T EITHER a) SET UP OR b) TRIPOD IS CLEARLY IN THE WAY OF BOTH AGD RADARS , GOOD TO HEAR YOU HAVE SLOWED DOWN

user_offline.pngreport.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Hiding behind a pesky bus :D.

O1Zg2iJ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,672 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

116 in a 100? That'll be a ticket I'd say.

Agree say your caught on this , i think if passing out a slow moving bus in the past you seem to get off, i would ask for the picture from the Garda taken by the Go Safe van , you are entitled to it

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    116 in a 100? That'll be a ticket I'd say.

Yep, it was a 100 zone.
    GPS indicated speed (dashcam).

No ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

Kramer wrote: »
    Yep, it was a 100 zone.
    GPS indicated speed (dashcam).

No ticket.

Interesting, maybe the camera isnt always on or you just got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The_Kitty wrote: »
    Interesting, maybe the camera isnt always on or you just got lucky.

he was beside a bus they can't tell which vehicle is speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Yes they can.

It can monitor up to 8 lanes at a time, and it can measure approaching and receding traffic. It can also measure the length of a vehicle, to determine if it towing a trailer.

Screenshot-20201218-152153.jpg

Here's some bedtime reading

https://www.agd-systems.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/AGD-343PM_ISS1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

it can be measured, but can a gosafe van actually do someone for it?

it can be measured, but can a gosafe van actually do someone for it?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

mikeecho wrote: »
    Yes

When people don't get a ticket but were speeding what could the reasons be?
    Is it just slowing down on time or they werent really speeding or the equipment is turned off in van?

The_Kitty wrote: »
    When people don't get a ticket but were speeding what could the reasons be?
    Is it just slowing down on time or they werent really speeding or the equipment is turned off in van?

I think you've answered your own question.

• Advertisement

Yes judge, I am contesting this speeding ticket. I contend, in this case, it was clearly the bus who was speeding. It was clearly undertaking me, as it passed the gosafe van.

:D.

Kramer wrote: »
    :D.

That's enough of an element of doubt.

Unless evidence is produced showing what lane the offence was detected.. however.. a bus with the side profile of a metallic building is enough scientifically to cause an error of a reading.

I'd be in agreement with the poster that there is a sufficient reason to presume that there could be s reasonable doubt as to the accuracy of the reading.

Although, these systems are fairly accurate.

I'd take my chances in court.. but then I have a good understanding of the limitations of these devices, to and would convey that to my solicitor.

its two AGD 340 radars in the back of the go safe vans. one is a AGD tracking radar the other is a AGD speed radar both are put in a Redflex box and call Redflex radar system both AGD radars can take speed readings ........ Any radars can mix two vehicles and think its one or get reflection from the bus or buildings ... did you notice in the manual they always show the radars pointing in the direction of travel of the rear of the cars , where in ireland the go safe vans point to the front of the cars .... interesting Redflex are one of the owners of Go-Safe .

sure there are a few Go safe people on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Driving back to Dublin today after Christmas visit to Kerry and speed checkers out in force. GoSafe vans up on two separate Garda lay bys on the M7, a Garda car on the southbound side of the N7 at Kill and a sneaky one on the N69 coast road in Limerick peeping out of a small side road on a wide straight stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jaqueline Monedula

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone is able to help. I have trawled through this megathread and searched as best as I can, however if anyone can help specifically with the following I'd be grateful:

Scenario:

Drishane Road, Millstreet, Cork coming away from centre towards Drishane Castle.
    I come round a corner past the Dairygold co-op, and spot Garda Traffic 4x4 sitting at the far end of the road just where it turns left to the cemetery so it is facing a long straight stretch out of front windscreen, and out of side windows.
    For some reason I decided that doing 55/56kph was fine, and carried on until my brain kicked in and as I got really close to the marked 4x4 I was doing 49/50kph. Don't ask, just stressed about covid in family and not paying detailed attention to my speed. I'm normally a bit neurotic about it tbh.

I looked at the Gard in the front seat as I got close (could only see one Gard) and he quite frankly had a thousand yard stare on him, and was just looking up the road the way I'd come. Couldn't see anyone round the back of the vehicle skulking.

Questions:

1. Would there likely have been another Gard in the back using a speed camera through the side window which had darkened glass?

2. Do An Garda Siochana use ANPR to catch speeders (presuming all Garda Traffic 4x4s have ANPR systems?). All road tax and insurance and NCT in order.

3. Does a Gard have to be out of the vehicle to use the new speeding cameras or can s/he just lean out of the window and point it at traffic?

and, and this is the question to which I really really would LOVE an answer from either a Gard or an ex-Gard, or someone who truly "knows"

4. How long does it normally/usually take Garda Traffic branch to issue non-intercept FCPNs? I know I've 28 days from the date of issue of the FCPN, but there seems to be absolutely no clarity on how fast the Gardai actually issue the FCPN.

I found something in "the Fixed Charge Processing System" (a report of the AGS Inspectorate) but it dates back to 2014, and is therefore rather out of date "Recommendation 2.6.....The Inspectorate recommends that the Garda Síochána ensure full compliance with the timeframes laid down in the Fixed Charge Processing System policy manual"...... but could I find the Fixed Charge Processing System policy manual? Of course not, it's an internal AGS document I am guessing. So, is there ANY duty upon a Gard to actually get the FCPN out to a person, or can they sit on it for months and months and months, which is most unfair to the driver, in my opinion. Is there a time limit overall?

5. It is likely that a traffic corps 4x4 would solely be running ANPR checks (though this refers back to question 2). I don't know what else he would be doing?!

6.I know I know, don't speed, and you won't have all this worry, please don't tell me that, I already know and am beating myself up. I am also aware that my speedo runs somewhat fast....do the Gards have discretion if I was actually doing 51/52 kph (in a 50kph zone)?

Go raibh maith agat / Thanks in advance for your patience with yet another set of speeding questions.

Jaqueline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone is able to help. I have trawled through this megathread and searched as best as I can, however if anyone can help specifically with the following I'd be grateful:

Scenario:

Drishane Road, Millstreet, Cork coming away from centre towards Drishane Castle.
    I come round a corner past the Dairygold co-op, and spot Garda Traffic 4x4 sitting at the far end of the road just where it turns left to the cemetery so it is facing a long straight stretch out of front windscreen, and out of side windows.
    For some reason I decided that doing 55/56kph was fine, and carried on until my brain kicked in and as I got really close to the marked 4x4 I was doing 49/50kph. Don't ask, just stressed about covid in family and not paying detailed attention to my speed. I'm normally a bit neurotic about it tbh.

I looked at the Gard in the front seat as I got close (could only see one Gard) and he quite frankly had a thousand yard stare on him, and was just looking up the road the way I'd come. Couldn't see anyone round the back of the vehicle skulking.

Questions:

1. Would there likely have been another Gard in the back using a speed camera through the side window which had darkened glass?

2. Do An Garda Siochana use ANPR to catch speeders (presuming all Garda Traffic 4x4s have ANPR systems?). All road tax and insurance and NCT in order.

3. Does a Gard have to be out of the vehicle to use the new speeding cameras or can s/he just lean out of the window and point it at traffic?

and, and this is the question to which I really really would LOVE an answer from either a Gard or an ex-Gard, or someone who truly "knows"

4. How long does it normally/usually take Garda Traffic branch to issue non-intercept FCPNs? I know I've 28 days from the date of issue of the FCPN, but there seems to be absolutely no clarity on how fast the Gardai actually issue the FCPN.

I found something in "the Fixed Charge Processing System" (a report of the AGS Inspectorate) but it dates back to 2014, and is therefore rather out of date "Recommendation 2.6.....The Inspectorate recommends that the Garda Síochána ensure full compliance with the timeframes laid down in the Fixed Charge Processing System policy manual"...... but could I find the Fixed Charge Processing System policy manual? Of course not, it's an internal AGS document I am guessing. So, is there ANY duty upon a Gard to actually get the FCPN out to a person, or can they sit on it for months and months and months, which is most unfair to the driver, in my opinion. Is there a time limit overall?

5. It is likely that a traffic corps 4x4 would solely be running ANPR checks (though this refers back to question 2). I don't know what else he would be doing?!

6.I know I know, don't speed, and you won't have all this worry, please don't tell me that, I already know and am beating myself up. I am also aware that my speedo runs somewhat fast....do the Gards have discretion if I was actually doing 51/52 kph (in a 50kph zone)?

Go raibh maith agat / Thanks in advance for your patience with yet another set of speeding questions.

Jaqueline

i think you might just getting urself a bit worked up.Deep breaths and relax, by your description your seem to being doing 55 and under , which would be probably be 50/51 km/h. if you were speeding they would have stopped you.

there would no fellow hiding in the back only the guard u see with the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jaqueline Monedula

Thank you.

Yes, I'm working myself into a tizzy so I am! (didn't really sleep last night); first 3 points in 27 years of driving if it is, and if it's not, well, result!

Appreciate the "calm down", excellent advice.

Going for a walk now to stretch the legs and get some fresh air! Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭bmc58

i think you might just getting urself a bit worked up.Deep breaths and relax, by your description your seem to being doing 55 and under , which would be probably be 50/51 km/h. if you were speeding they would have stopped you.

there would no fellow hiding in the back only the guard u see with the camera.

Most cars have their speed'os set about 4kms below what is showing on the dashboard.If your car shows you at 60kmpk you are actually doing 56 kmph.It's to help you with not being over speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the 12 th man

I would be very surprised if you were caught speeding if you were driving as described,you normally are notified within 2 - 3 weeks if you are getting done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

Not speed van related but didn’t want to start up another thread, please move if required.

I was stopped by the squad car today about 5miles outside of a village I passed through, told me I was doing 67 in a 50 and passed 2 cars out while doing it. This is true, I explained my reasons to him (I had 3 kids in the car with me and explained I was in a rush due to my reasons and that I’d take whatever he was throwing at me but I needed to attend to a family matter)

He gave me 10 days to produce my license at my local station, wished me well and said get there in one peace is all we’re trying to do with people. A very decent guard it has to be said. As he walked away I asked him what was the story now and he said ‘look we’ll see, but you were taking that bend fairly fast’ explained I knew that and apologised and we went away.

I assume I won’t be booked or will I? Not that I don’t deserve the fine and points but it’s the not knowing that bugs me. I’d be thinking if you’re going to be fined and get points that the Guard would have to tell you this before leaving (what your charge is, what your charge costs and penalty’s for not paying it) or am I wrong?

As I said, no complaints if I receive a fixed penalty, none at all with it, just want to know judging by his reaction if it would seem like I’d get one.

Thanks.

Advertisement