Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TimRiggins wrote: »
    He needs to realise that they are different careers in MMA that he can do, as his fighting career was finished in 2007.
    He's coaching too. He's joined an MMA TV show in Oz as full time wrestling coach. Personally I hope he uses ra to ice into coaching full time as this is one last hurrah. And gets the W.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Rogan being brutally honest with Shaub atm on his podcast , very intresting

Watched bits of it, very harsh and blunt but generally spot on. Schaub will continue to get KO'd if he fights elite guys. The sad thing is that I think he'll fight on regardless but what Joe said might play on his mind a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Watched bits of it, very harsh and blunt but generally spot on. Schaub will continue to get KO'd if he fights elite guys. The sad thing is that I think he'll fight on regardless but what Joe said might play on his mind a lot.

Agree with this. I saw the internet reaction at first at thought it was blown way over the top. Rogan is spot on in fairness, and If i was good mates with Brendan Schuab I would have worried for him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Just for anyone who hasnt heard it, Im a massive Big Brown fan but Joes right hes not an Elite fighter, tough love from Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

There are guys like Schaub in every division, who just don't have what it takes to mix it with the elite guys. I think the big issue here, is that Schaub fights in a division where so many fights end with a blow to the head and the potential for long term brain injury is far greater. Same could be said about many more in the heavyweight roster.

Pound for pound, in my opinion he's no worse than the likes of Ross Pearson or Diego Brandao or any other fighter who will never realistically gain that elite title in the UFC.

• Advertisement

John_D80 wrote: »
    There are guys like Schaub in every division, who just don't have what it takes to mix it with the elite guys. I think the big issue here, is that Schaub fights in a division where so many fights end with a blow to the head and the potential for long term brain injury is far greater. Same could be said about many more in the heavyweight roster.

Pound for pound, in my opinion he's no worse than the likes of Ross Pearson or Diego Brandao or any other fighter who will never realistically gain that elite title in the UFC.

Thats exactly it, its only the fact that the division is so thin that it makes him stand out more. Theres no shame in getting to the level of pearson/brandaos etc but when the division is so thin like the HWs its alot easier to notice when you wont reach a certain standard. Theres a massive gap at the top of the heavyweights, Cain then down a bit is the JDS/Werdum, then down again is the likes of Brown, Hunt (since his revival), Nelson, then another drop down to the likes of Schaub, Palelei, Reem. Obviously a left fighters out but theres the gist of it anyone imo its WAY easier to see the difference in class when theres **** all in the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

Tough love, but there's a time and a place and that place was not live on air on his radio show. If you want to tell someone you're friends with, some home truths do it down the pub or while playing xbox. Don't tell him live on air. To me this smacks of Rogan telling it like it is for content.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

At one point Rogan was saying "I have other fighter friends and if I had to tell them this i'd bring them on a hike, out with nature, and i'd sit them down and i'd tell them".

Maybe that's what he should've done here instead of doing it on a joint edition of two of the most popular podcasts of their kind in the world. He said at one point it was Callen's idea to do it. I felt kind of sorry for Schaub. Sure, they're trying to look out for their buddy. But he just fought the #3 guy in the world and they're telling him he should give it up. It's obviously not going to be that easy, especially when the loss was only 3 days previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don't think Rogan emphasized enough that this was simply his opinion.

He often eulogizes on his podcast about things as if they are fact when most of the time it's just his opinion based on a new article or idea he's heard on the internet. Need I bring up the bulletproof coffee nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ush1 wrote: »
    Need I bring up the bulletproof coffee nonsense?
    Coffee + oil = Energy

Where's the nonsense there?
    Basic maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mellor wrote: »
    Coffee + oil = Energy

Basic maths.

The nonsense was Joe Rogan promoting Dave Aspreys claim that other coffees had large amounts of mycotoxins which was totally untrue.

He also had another doctor friend talking about certain vitamins negating the effects of alcohol. He was challenged on it by someone saying that his doctor friend was merely trying to sell his product. Rogan said his friend wasn't selling anything, and it turned out he was.

I like Rogan, I think he can be entertaining, but I take a hell of a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I agreed with Joe Rogans analysis of the situation and I am glad it was on the podcast. It really gives food for thought for a bunch of other fighters out there.

It might be tough to listen to but its the truth. Schaub fights in the division with the most knock outs and arguably the most head trauma. Joe can see Schaubs skill set is not good enough to reach the top or even properly protect himself from the higher level fighters in the division.

Schaub has not been fighting a long time and had some early success due to his athletic ability and strength. He leaves himself very open, his lack of skill will more than likely mean more head trauma and probably more knock outs in his future.

What is worrying/interesting is when Schaub was asked "Do you think you can be champion" he said yes without batting an eye. It kind of shows the worrying delusion some fighters are under, when you are successful is it self belief and when you are not -delusion? raises an interesting point on self assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mwin80

Mellor wrote: »
    Coffee + oil = Energy

Basic maths.

What's your point? the controversy isn't around the legitimacy of coffee and MCT oil providing energy. It was about Dave Asprey's claims regarding mycotoxins in coffee due to mould on coffee beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mwin80

Ush1 wrote: »

I like Rogan, I think he can be entertaining, but I take a hell of a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt.

I fully agree - I used to really love his pod-cast when it was basically just a bunch of friends shooting the breeze and having a laugh with each other but as it got bigger and evolved it seemed to go from being a very fun and entertaining pod-cast to being a platform for Joe to jump on his self-righteous soapbox and preach at people. I used to never miss his pod-casts but these days I frequently skip a lot of them rather than listen to him say the same stuff over and over again.

He's right about Schaub though and what's annoying about Schaub is that he tries to talk a big game but can't always back it up. His latest example was "if I show up at 100% and Travis shows up at 100% then I win 100% of the time". I know you gotta believe in yourself, especially in the fight game, but c'mon son! As for Rogan airing his concerns to his friend on the pod-casts - I too find it strange that this wasn't done behind closed doors unless there were other motives at hand like publicity for the pod-casts which you would think would mean it was pre-planned and not off the cuff.

I don't think it was off the cuff from Joe. He seemed like he wanted to talk about it from the get go. He had thought about it and wanted to use the podcast as the forum to tell Brendan and the listeners what he thinks.

I think there is slight absolution element to it but also a MMA public awareness one which I think is important. Yesterday everyone in the gym I was speaking to was talking about it. It is important to shine light on these issues, and for fighters to think and talk more about the elephant in the room that many choose to ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I thought the show was good, the 5min clip earlier really does not do it justice because it lasted about 2 hours and frequently went back to the Schuab situation.

I'm not sure why people are getting at Joe though :confused: he stats quite early that Schuab wanted to discuss it on the show, that they had already said what they would be covering and Schuab agreed. Maybe Schuab wasn't expecting a couple of his mates to sound so harsh but as already said its tough love. The guys kept saying they were telling him as friends and it was not just directed at him but they wanted other fighters to hear the conversation and might make them think about their own careers also.

I was surprized that they were building up Schuab's performance against browne though, to me Brown was playing with him before finishing the fight. I didn't see any evidence that Schuab as "winning the fight before the stoppage". I think it was a good stoppage although Schuab disagrees but the way he was recalling the fight "I remember this","I remember that", "I remember saying to the ref...."etc sounded weird to me, there was too much emphasis on him "remembering" I wasn't sure if he was trying to convince me(the listener) or himself.

Schuab certainly looked gobsmacked by the end but sometimes the truth hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

I think I read that Schaub said that if he beat Browne he was going to ask for a title shot. If that's the case then he really needed this dose of reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

p to the e wrote: »
    I think I read that Schaub said that if he beat Browne he was going to ask for a title shot. If that's the case then he really needed this dose of reality.

Yeah I think Joe asked him if he beat Browne where he seen himself and he said possibly in title fight or title eliminator against winner of JDS/Miocic ..... both of these ideas are ridiculous! I didn't give him any chance against Brown before the fight and felt a bit sorry for him after the fight. I like him but he's not in the upper tier of fighters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I think Joe went way over the line here tbh. He Basically said "You're not Cain or Werdum, you should retire". Should every guy who isn't in the top 3 in each division retire so? Every fighter will get knocked out at some stage, not everyone can be champion. Lost a bit of respect for Joe after listening to that.

I think Joe went way over the line here tbh. He Basically said "You're not Cain or Werdum, you should retire". Should every guy who isn't in the top 3 in each division retire so? Every fighter will get knocked out at some stage, not everyone can be champion. Lost a bit of respect for Joe after listening to that.

He was speaking to a friend who is a mediocre fighter in the heavy weight division. Schaub as been on the bad end of a number of knock outs/TKOs already and he is only 30.

Heavy weights in general hit much harder than over divisions. Its a very very tough place to eek out a career as a journey man. His point being if you have no chance of being a top level fighter do you really want to hang around likely suffer irreversible brain damage or maybe try another path in life, as Schaub is currently a smart guy and has that option. Maybe 4 or 5 knock-outs down the line that option might not be there for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Thought Rogan was spot on with what he said. Schaub is never gonna be more than a 50/50 fighter, especially if he fights top guys. He would be wise to get out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I don't think even Rogan thought Schaub might decide to walk away after the podcast. However he still seems largely ignorant to what Rogan said and why. He seems to focused on the emotions of it all to be able to focus on the criticism.

Man i love Bryan Callen.

EDIT - I also love Schaub, feel for the guy immensely. Could rival JDS for UFCs nicest athlete haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

He was speaking to a friend who is a mediocre fighter in the heavy weight division. Schaub as been on the bad end of a number of knock outs/TKOs already and he is only 30.

Heavy weights in general hit much harder than over divisions. Its a very very tough place to eek out a career as a journey man. His point being if you have no chance of being a top level fighter do you really want to hang around likely suffer irreversible brain damage or maybe try another path in life, as Schaub is currently a smart guy and has that option. Maybe 4 or 5 knock-outs down the line that option might not be there for him.

He was way too harsh imo. There's a time and place for it also, a podcast isn't a place for an intervention.

Mark Munoz v Caio Magalhaes and Alan Jouban v Richard Walsh added to the UFC 184 card.

Great fight for Magalhaes, think he'll take Munoz to be honest. Jouban was robbed in Brazil on the Shogun/St.Preux card and imagine he'll take Walsh. UFC 184 is some show so far.

Can't be long before we get a main for UFC 185 either. Dillashaw v Cruz?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

Roy Nelson gets punched in the head 50 times more than Schaub. Doesn't knock him out but thats not necessarily a good thing. Boxing is full of brain dead 50yr olds with great chins. If Joe wanted to address this to a friend it should have been in a personal capacity. If he wanted to address an issue he should have made a seperate show of it and named 20 guys. This was both degrading and professionally damaging for his "friend".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

If i recall Joe critiquing him was all planned and it was Schaub's idea to do it on air.

Schaub needed to be told.. The way he talked about his fight with Arlovski and the way he thought that fight went versus the reality of what everyone else saw, for me he needed to be told the truth.

Also i feel if it was done off air then Schaub would have just ignored Rogan. This way he might actually realise that he needs to up his game or get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Mark Munoz v Caio Magalhaes and Alan Jouban v Richard Walsh added to the UFC 184 card.

Great fight for Magalhaes, think he'll take Munoz to be honest. Jouban was robbed in Brazil on the Shogun/St.Preux card and imagine he'll take Walsh. UFC 184 is some show so far.

Can't be long before we get a main for UFC 185 either. Dillashaw v Cruz?

Cancelled.
    Caio Magalhaes is getting surgery after he had his teeth pulled, so he'll miss the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Jouban was robbed in Brazil on the Shogun/St.Preux card and imagine he'll take Walsh. UFC 184 is some show so far.

Walsh was actually criminally robbed in his last fight too, I like that match up

• Advertisement

Walsh was actually criminally robbed in his last fight too, I like that match up

Some card so far.

Weidman v Belfort
    Rousey v Zigano
    Romero v Jacare
    Bigfoot v Mir

Koscheck v Ellenberger, Walsh v Jouban and more on prelims, Shame Magalhaes is out, but still a stacked card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement