Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Mellor wrote: »
    lmfao
    The whole "streets" tactics argument is nonsense. Even more so with somebody like War Machine would would have zero qualms about fighting dirty.
    whats nonsense is an mma fighter getting one over on a guys whos job it is to track down and apprehend dangerous criminals, my point was that Im sure the bounty hunter can handle himself sufficiently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Pendred has tweeted recently that he's going to donate a sum of his bonus that he got from King to Temple Street Hospital. Absolute gent.
    https://twitter.com/PendredMMA/status/499935469103513602
    Thank you @danawhite @lorenzofertitta & J.Silva for rewardeding me for being PED free. I will donate a sum to Temple St. children's hospital

Oh.. and King has released a statement saying that the UFC has released him from his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

absolute gentleman pendred

makes my day seeing all that

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Balls I actually liked King. 100k for one night, not too shabby Cathal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

different on the street, Id use gouges, groin strikes, pressure points, gun...

Really?

If he got near him Dog would mace him, he doesn't have the ability to handcuff a professional fighter otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Big Jon is now back reffing in Vegas. Finally sense has prevailed with the NSAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

unknown13 wrote: »
    Big Jon is now back reffing in Vegas. Finally sense has prevailed with the NSAC.

What was that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What was that all about?
    Keith Kizer and Big John didn't see eye to eye, because he criticised Kizer and the NSAC judging in the past.
    So Kizer declined to use him in vegas, saying that their referee requirements were full. Kizer's out now so Big John is back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mellor wrote: »
    Keith Kizer and Big John didn't see eye to eye, because he criticised Kizer and the NSAC judging in the past.
    So Kizer declined to use him in vegas, saying that their referee requirements were full. Kizer's out now so Big John is back in.

They didnt agree for a reason, NSAC are a joke!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Dana saying Gus Vs Rumble 'makes sense'.

Can't say I agree with this, it'll only kill of a contender. If Jones beats DC, then beats the winner of Gus/Rumble, the division is well and truly cleared out.

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/8/15/6004983/ufc-dana-white-alexander-gustafsson-vs-anthony-johnson-fight-makes-sense

• Advertisement

I see where the UFC are coming from but feel kinda lousy for Gus. I think he should have gotten a rematch as it was so close. Then he doesn't get the fight when Jones gets injured and now he's not allowed wait for the winner. Again, I can see why all of this is happening but Gus has asked for 3 things (rematch, fight Jones in Jan and then wait to fight the winner) and UFC said no to everything.

He's on a tear and it's hard to argue with that but I don't think Johnson is a serious contender at 205, he's big and powerful but an elite fighter like Gustafsson will finish him and make it look easy. Phil Davis hasn't improved since he beat Gustafsson in 2010 and beating Lil Nog isn't the achievement it used to be.

Johnson v Gustafsson is a good fight that will draw PPV viewers, I don't think we're losing a contender because unless he beats Gustafsson Johnson isn't really one to begin with.

Hopefully Big John is replacing Kim Winslow.
    He reffed at Glory 17 there and was pretty spot on with all his calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I see where the UFC are coming from but feel kinda lousy for Gus. I think he should have gotten a rematch as it was so close. Then he doesn't get the fight when Jones gets injured and now he's not allowed wait for the winner. Again, I can see why all of this is happening but Gus has asked for 3 things (rematch, fight Jones in Jan and then wait to fight the winner) and UFC said no to everything.

Not strictly true in fairness. He got his rematch but he pulled out of it. And if they had given him a fight with Jones in January, that would have been just plain wrong.

Yes everyone is making the case that it was his fight first, but its DC's now and until DC pulls out, no one else has a legitimate claim to the next title shot.

Ah I just felt bad for Gus because he didn't get an immediate rematch but what made it worse, his next fight was against Manuwa on a Fight Night card. You can just tell he doesn't have much bargaining power in the ufc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

And he got a huge cheer despite beating the hometown hero. It seems like everybody loves him, but not everybody can warm to DC the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

UFC have confirmed they'll be using "leg reach" in the tale of the tape from now on. Good addition!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    UFC have confirmed they'll be using "leg reach" in the tale of the tape from now on. Good addition!

I'd rather they added the fighters weight on fight night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd rather they added the fighters weight on fight night.

So would i but can't see it happening, imagine a show on Fox Sports, millions of new fans tuning in and then they go to the main event, a LHW fight at 205lb where both fighters weigh around 230, would cause too much confusion..at the moment

scudzilla wrote: »
    So would i but can't see it happening, imagine a show on Fox Sports, millions of new fans tuning in and then they go to the main event, a LHW fight at 205lb where both fighters weigh around 230, would cause too much confusion..at the moment

Johnny Hendricks 170 (220 fight night) Vs Some random guy who fights at 180.

Fair fight.
    I know it's a can of worms and it has it's own cons to it but I would prefer if they did same day weigh ins.
    The fighters like Hendricks and Bendo are doing serious damage to their livers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Jaysus joe rogan will be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

A few years too late right when Anderson Silva is at the end of career. Would have been great when Anderson was destroying his opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

wow

10443615_584925161618971_4489872736003775281_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Johnny Hendricks 170 (220 fight night) Vs Some random guy who fights at 180.

Fair fight.
    I know it's a can of worms and it has it's own cons to it but I would prefer if they did same day weigh ins.
    The fighters like Hendricks and Bendo are doing serious damage to their livers.
    Same day weigh ins are really dangerous. Their is a good reason why striking sports weigh in the day before.

I don't think I've seen any evidence that a successful cut is damaging to the liver it anything else. Pushing it too far can obviously cause damage but that's a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Same day weigh-ins are too dangerous. The day before is the safest option, imo.
    I'd prefer if fighters didn't get a second chance to make weight though. They've already pushed themselves to the limit to make weight and I think it's too dangerous to ask them to head off and work their ass off for a few more hours before they step on the scale again. They've had enough time to make sure their weight is on point.
    I think they should get one chance at making weight and if they fail to do so (providing they're not way over) then a percentage of their purse goes to the other fighter, but the weight cutting is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Same day weigh-ins are too dangerous. The day before is the safest option, imo.
    I'd prefer if fighters didn't get a second chance to make weight though. They've already pushed themselves to the limit to make weight and I think it's too dangerous to ask them to head off and work their ass off for a few more hours before they step on the scale again. They've had enough time to make sure their weight is on point.
    I think they should get one chance at making weight and if they fail to do so (providing they're not way over) then a percentage of their purse goes to the other fighter, but the weight cutting is over.

What about scale errors? They can happen and denying a fighter the chance to make weight cause of them would be pretty weak, but i do see your point for fighters who have struggled and are bricking it before hopping on the scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Would same day weigh ins not discourage weight cutting instead of making it more dangerous? Or will fighters take the risk anyway just to get the size advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The only way to get around that would to have several weigh-ins on the week leading up to the fight. That way you almost certainly are getting fighters fighting their true weight. But obviously that has it's fair share of problems with the possibility of fighters missing one/several of their weigh-ins and making others. Is it really fair on them if that was to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

As a big fan of both MMA and Game of Thrones, it really doesn't get any better than this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I'm a big fan of MMA and GOT too but I'm not too sure about that....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement