Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ya LW has been one of the more competitive divisions in the UFC over the years.

Shame the chasing pack is being held up due to an inactive champion but thats goin on in other divisions at the moment too never known it as bad.

The UFC should think again when making current champs coach TUF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Khabib looks the real deal. The fight with Cerrone planned for UFC 178 would've put him up there for the next shot (after Gil). I can't wait to see him fight the top guys

Yeah i was gutted for him after the injury, seems like a nice guy to. The video of him wrestling a bear when he was a kid is ridiculous.
    Ya LW has been one of the more competitive divisions in the UFC over the years.

Shame the chasing pack is being held up due to an inactive champion but thats goin on in other divisions at the moment too never known it as bad.

The UFC should think again when making current champs coach TUF.

The amount of champs injured is mental. I think MM & Weidman are the only fit champions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

TUF is going to go all European next year, was that the news that was supposed to be released in dublin?

I see Istanbul didn't get a fight night, no sign of the polish one either?! So thats only 4 of a promised 6 for Europe this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

ASOT wrote: »
    The amount of champs injured is mental. I think MM & Weidman are the only fit champions?

Yep just add Dillashaw on the next PPV aswell, the rest were plagued, although all apart from Hendricks & RR have bouts scheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Still can't get over the fact that Danny Castillo vs Tony Ferguson is the co main event for UFC 177.

The absolute state of that card. If this isn't proof that the UFC are doing too many shows, then I don't know what is.

Bantamweight T.J. Dillashaw (c) vs. Renan Barão
    Lightweight Tony Ferguson vs. Danny Castillo
    Women's Bantamweight Bethe Correia vs. Shayna Baszler
    Lightweight Ramsey Nijem vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira

I mean, if you scrap the two shows that happened this weekend, and condense the three of them into one card, you have something that looks like this ;

TJ Dillashaw vs Renan Barao
    Michael Bisping vs Cung Le
    Ben Henderson vs Rafael Dos Anjos
    Mike Pyle vs Jordan Mein
    Tyrone Woodley vs Dong Hyun Kim

This wouldn't even be a particularly packed card 2/3 years ago.

This over saturation is good for the UFCs pockets, but in the long run its very bad for the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

dulux99 wrote: »
    Still can't get over the fact that Danny Castillo vs Tony Ferguson is the co main event for UFC 177.

The absolute state of that card. If this isn't proof that the UFC are doing too many shows, then I don't know what is.

Bantamweight T.J. Dillashaw (c) vs. Renan Barão
    Lightweight Tony Ferguson vs. Danny Castillo
    Women's Bantamweight Bethe Correia vs. Shayna Baszler
    Lightweight Ramsey Nijem vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira

I mean, if you scrap the two shows that happened this weekend, and condense the three of them into one card, you have something that looks like this ;

TJ Dillashaw vs Renan Barao
    Michael Bisping vs Cung Le
    Ben Henderson vs Rafael Dos Anjos
    Mike Pyle vs Jordan Mein
    Tyrone Woodley vs Dong Hyun Kim

This wouldn't even be a particularly packed card 2/3 years ago.

This over saturation is good for the UFCs pockets, but in the long run its very bad for the fans.

Of course it's bad for the fans, compare 177 to 178, one is stacked, the other is just woeful, but if ya have a go most people will say that some of the less stacked cards prove better. Fcuk that, if i'm paying top prices i wanna see top fight/ers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'm paying 19.99 a month so not exactly too dollar for all the fights I get to see

scudzilla wrote: »
    Of course it's bad for the fans, compare 177 to 178, one is stacked, the other is just woeful, but if ya have a go most people will say that some of the less stacked cards prove better. Fcuk that, if i'm paying top prices i wanna see top fight/ers

I fcuking hate when Dana White gives the spiel about "don't judge the fights until they've happened!!!"

In that case, then don't stand there shouting with Rogan just before a PPV main card about how brilliant these fights are going to be, because we can't judge it till it's over. :rolleyes:

Iv already made the decision not to stay up and watch 177, will be the first event in i dont know how long were iv been home and wont watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

7 fight cards in 6 weeks on the way

a couple of bad ones in that lot most notably the brazil card like a lot
    of brazil cards
    the canadian card looks pretty bad also
    hate having two cards on a weekend myself
    it almost becomes a chore at times with so much quantity and damn all quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'm paying 19.99 a month so not exactly too dollar for all the fights I get to see

We're lucky, VERY lucky, the yanks get charged $60 per PPV.

I was more meaning getting tickets to go see the fights, i went to all UK/Ireland events from UFC 70 through to 95 i think, after that i just gave up, was not willing to pay the prices for below par cards.

Look at the cards in the period i went to, Rampage vs Hendo, BJ vs Joe Daddy (2 title fights), plus seeing mma legends like CroCop, Rich Franklin, Forrest, Werdum, Shogun, Coleman.

Now the cards have just gone crap and they'll remain that way while sheep buy the tickets, i know what a cards worth and i won't go over that budget.

Not a hope we'll get any of the names like that over here again (i know a few have gone, but the same size names at the same point in their careers)

The cards over here started going down when Setanta went bust as the contract stated they had to provide 6 events per year in our time zone.

On to the worldwide thing, WAY too many cards, used to get excited about a card, wait till the Sunday night and watch on Bravo days, now i can't remember the last time i felt this way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

scudzilla wrote: »
    We're lucky, VERY lucky, the yanks get charged $60 per PPV.

I was more meaning getting tickets to go see the fights, i went to all UK/Ireland events from UFC 70 through to 95 i think, after that i just gave up, was not willing to pay the prices for below par cards.

Look at the cards in the period i went to, Rampage vs Hendo, BJ vs Joe Daddy (2 title fights), plus seeing mma legends like CroCop, Rich Franklin, Forrest, Werdum, Shogun, Coleman.

Now the cards have just gone crap and they'll remain that way while sheep buy the tickets, i know what a cards worth and i won't go over that budget.

Not a hope we'll get any of the names like that over here again (i know a few have gone, but the same size names at the same point in their careers)

The cards over here started going down when Setanta went bust as the contract stated they had to provide 6 events per year in our time zone.

On to the worldwide thing, WAY too many cards, used to get excited about a card, wait till the Sunday night and watch on Bravo days, now i can't remember the last time i felt this way

Looking back I would say two years for me. Silva / Sonnen II was the last time I definitely know I felt that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

unknown13 wrote: »
    Looking back I would say two years for me. Silva / Sonnen II was the last time I definitely know I felt that way.

I'm still pumped for 178, even without Jones v Cormier, it's the first card in a while I'm actually going to stay up for. McGregor gives me the same feelings I used to get watching Lesnar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Robert Drysdale apparently released after his second failed drug test. Here's a question, are Abu Dhabi competitors drug tested?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/8/23/6060963/robert-drysdale-released-from-ufc-after-second-failed-drug-test

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

p to the e wrote: »
    Here's a question, are Abu Dhabi competitors drug tested?
    I don't think so. Not in Gi BJJ either.

Certain Bjj players have complained about it for years but it falls of deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

It is a problem at high level grappling tournaments no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just watched the first episode of TUF: Latin America

Bar the fight everything about it is pretty crap. Standard TUF fare really. May just flick through until the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Dd I hear norman parke is facing Diego sanchez next??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Dd I hear norman parke is facing Diego sanchez next??

Seems so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Sanchez to win by getting repeatedly punched in the face for 3 rounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Fair play to Parke for getting that fight. If he defeats Diego in Mexico it will certainly put him on map. For a decent fighter and a bit of a mouth he is seemly void of any hype or hope. An ultimate fighter winner with a fantastic win streak but IMO quite overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Fair play to Parke for getting that fight. If he defeats Diego in Mexico it will certainly put him on map. For a decent fighter and a bit of a mouth he is seemly void of any hype or hope. An ultimate fighter winner with a fantastic win streak but IMO quite overlooked.

He has a great record but there's a few reasons why he's moving at a slower pace than others.

Some people are of the opinion that "a win is a win", but as far as the UFC are concerned, an exciting win is more important I think. He has a few decision wins in there so I reckon he needs a few exciting finishes to help get him more recognised.
    McGregor has shown how it's done when it comes to hype. Parke doesn't operate that way. He seems to be plodding along relatively quietly. That's not a bad thing though. He seems to be letting results do the talking but that can slow things down a bit if they're not exciting finishes.

I like him though and I hope he can pull off a big win against Sanchez. That'll propel him a bit more into the limelight.
    If he learns to hype himself up a bit more and then back it up, that'll do wonders for him.

That's a very winnable fight for Parke.

Sanchez is massively on the decline, his last two "wins" have been against Pearson and Gomi, both of which he lost fairly decisively IMO. By rights he should be 0-5 in his last 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I also think that a factor in this is that he hasn't got the fanbase behind him, wrongfully so!

If he was from London, he'd have the UK fan base all over him. If he was from Dublin, he'd have the Irish fan base all over him.

But his "nordieness" means UK fans don't really give a sh*t. And the McGregor-esque breed of "fan" would rather see him lose simply because he doesn't have a tricolour tattooed to his forehead! It's a sad state of affairs for someone who should have the whole force of the Irish MMA fan base behind him, but simply doesn't!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I also think that a factor in this is that he hasn't got the fanbase behind him, wrongfully so!

If he was from London, he'd have the UK fan base all over him. If he was from Dublin, he'd have the Irish fan base all over him.

But his "nordieness" means UK fans don't really give a sh*t. And the McGregor-esque breed of "fan" would rather see him lose simply because he doesn't have a tricolour tattooed to his forehead! It's a sad state of affairs for someone who should have the whole force of the Irish MMA fan base behind him, but simply doesn't!

Id agree with this up until UFC Dublin, he got a terrific reception at the weigh ins, fight night and then when he won. Its mainly down to him not hyping his fights as much which hes been changing since his last two fights. e.g his scuffle at the Dublin weigh ins & then calling out Sanchez!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Parke is a skilful fighter with an interesting fighting style and a top notch tattoo, his personality leaves a lot to be desired though, still I wish him all the best like I would anyone from the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Most of Normans fights have not been that exciting in the UFC and he doesn't appear to have bucket loads of charisma or wit. His interviews are very bog standard kind of stuff. With a roster of 300+ fighters you have to be a little different to stand out and get attention. Be it in the Octagon or outside it (even better both.)

He is a very good fighter and is on a great streak. But it would almost be safe to say you gain more from an exciting loss in the UFC, than a not so entertaining decision win.

The fans need to want to see you, thats how the UFC makes money. It doesn't really matter where you are from if you are exciting people will watch you, so I don't buy the whole "he is hard done by because he is from NI".

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Saints#33

I bumped into Norman on the Sat night after the UFC event in the wee hours and he was buzzing. Absolute top bloke. He got an unreal reception and to me is the most exciting fighter we have other than Conor.

I hope he murders Sanchez as he's due a hiding and it'll open big doors for Norman when he does. I just hope he doesn't let it go to the judges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This is the perfect fight for Norman because it'll be exciting, it's against a big name, it'll get huge exposure because it's in Mexico and, let's not forget, that Norman will win hands down! (Diego's hands will literally be down a lot of the time)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement