Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

SevereMMA wrote: »
    Apparently its his left this time, was his right the first time
    Yeah his post on twitter said it was the left. The article I read said it was his left back in 2011,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Barao v Dillashaw the replacement main event for 173, very underwhelming. Another Barao massacre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I wouldn't call any title fight underwhelming tbh. But I don't see Dillashaw lasting long either. The morale in the team alpha male camp after this will be horrible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

On the off chance he does win will Faber accept a fight with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah his post on twitter said it was the left. The article I read said it was his left back in 2011,

did you get a chance to watch his new documentary? all the early stuff is a little bleugh but when it goes through the fights and starts involving the trainers, then his injury etc, i have to say, i really enjoyed it. His camp is seriously analytic, and the trainers are great to listen to. worth the watch for the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

did you get a chance to watch his new documentary? all the early stuff is a little bleugh but when it goes through the fights and starts involving the trainers, then his injury etc, i have to say, i really enjoyed it. His camp is seriously analytic, and the trainers are great to listen to. worth the watch for the second half.

What's it called? Is it on Netflix? I know his "The Striking Truth" doc is on (canadian or US) Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

MagicIRL wrote: »
    What's it called? Is it on Netflix? I know his "The Striking Truth" doc is on (canadian or US) Netflix.

it's called takedown: the dna of GSP

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2626102/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

LAS VEGAS – A training injury has forced Tarec Saffiedine (15-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) to bow out of next month’s UFC 172 event in Baltimore. With his intended opponent scrapped, Jake Ellenberger (29-7 MMA, 8-3 UFC) will now shift to May’s UFC 173 fight card, where he’ll meet fellow welterweight Robbie Lawler (22-10 MMA,.. 7-4 UFC).

MMAjunkie and USA TODAY Sports today confirmed the changes with UFC President Dana White.

nice to see him bounce back

Reffing at another EFC event.

Spolier in the link to GIF

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/imported_assets/2125253/ipm_gif.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

So if its ;

Ellenberger vs Lawler
    McDonald vs Woodley
    Matt brown vs Erick Silva

Surely the last fight to be made is Nick Diaz vs Hector Lombard? I can't even begin to think how good that would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As much as GSP is a loss to the division.
    Welterweight has suddenly become far more exciting.

WSOF welterweight title bout last night.
    Paul Harris by, yep you guessed it, heel hook.

Also, beauty of a KO by Burkman

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

dulux99 wrote: »
    So if its ;

Surely the last fight to be made is Nick Diaz vs Hector Lombard? I can't even begin to think how good that would be

absolutely

If I could make one fight this year it would be this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Would love that to headline Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Ariel has tweeted about Hendo / Cormier at 175.

Dana has responded to the tweet saying the fight is not done. Wow, that is a first.

UFC Octagon Girl Carly Baker is trading bikinis and mascara for gum shields and gloves as she makes the transition into the newly formed UFC women’s strawweight division.

Source

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Cathal Pendred is on the UFC World Podcast with Gareth A. Davies this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

'The Janitor' Vladimir Matyushenko is planning to retire after his next fight with Joey Beltran.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/2/5574318/bellator-vladimir-matyushenko-joey-beltran-last-fight-mma-news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Being reported that Jake Shields has been cut. I'm a bit surprised but should I be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Being reported that Jake Shields has been cut. I'm a bit surprised but should I be??

Pretty damn harsh. Yea his performance against Lombard was none too exciting but prior to that, he beat Demian Maia and Tyron Woodley!

Looks like another Fitch / Okami style cut

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The guy did himself no favours. He has done a good bit in MMa but he doesn't have the style to be a top guy/Champion.

He hardly set the world alight. Was it 4 Split decision wins?

He's way too grappling oriented. HIs astounding grappling has gotten him this far but he was horribly exposed by Lombard last time out. It was embarrassing to watch almost. He as terrrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

With actions like this.its clear the ufc is going down the entertainment route, and not looking to House the best talent in the world.
    He is still top 10 welt IMO.

It looks like ufc are looking to change themselves to an organisation that puts on entertaining fights/ knockouts on all cards big and small, and not build big name fighters like back in the day.

I do miss the days of a star studded card, which was up until a couple of years ago. The next 3 cards on over the next week or so should be pulled together for a solid medium tier card, which would be equal to a versus card 3-4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,828 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

not a fan of shields at all and he makes fitch looks exciting

no way did he deserve to be cut though
    he may have been going nowhere in the division but
    at least give the lad a couple more fights
    going the distance with lombard was a decent effort

at least I won't lose any more money backing against him (woodley/maia)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Four wins out of his last five fights, seems like a crazy cut. Maybe they just didn't want to pay him on the same scale anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

mailburner wrote: »
    not a fan of shields at all and he makes fitch looks exciting

no way did he deserve to be cut though
    he may have been going nowhere in the division but
    at least give the lad a couple more fights
    going the distance with lombard was a decent effort

at least I won't lose any more money backing against him (woodley/maia)

I agree although I hold the belief that a fighter should gradually fall down the maincard into the prelims before being cut. To fight on the main card, go the distance, and then get cut seems incredibly bad form, but the UFC is there to make money and to etertain so...

It brings up an interesting opportunity for another organisation to really try to build up solid fighters (as mentioned above) as opposed to going all out for KO/TKO fights on every card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

I think if WSOF were to pick him up their WW division could contain some of the best in the world. Even some of their lower tier WW fighters are pretty good. Palhares, Fitch, Burkman, Aaron Simpson, Jorge Santiago. Some serious talent in there.

Melvin Guillard has recently signed with them aswell and he has fought at WW in the past so it's another potential addition to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Could you imagine Guillard v Paul Harris? Jesus! There'd be nothing left of poor Melvin!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement