Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free .ie domain with 2 years free hosting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

seanor3 wrote: »
    Right and wrong.. I am Sean O'Reilly, but I haven't put any punctuation in at all. It won't accept any variation of my name, at all.. [No apostrophes!]

Is the domain you're trying available?
    Check here;
    http://www.iedr.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=217&Itemid=71

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bodybuildme

basquille did you create that CV from scrach?
    or did you edita pre made wordpress template?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,799 ✭✭✭✭Basq

basquille did you create that CV from scrach?
    or did you edita pre made wordpress template?
    It's a Wordpress Template - http://www.elegantthemes.com/gallery/myresume/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bodybuildme

that site has a yearly fee of 39 USD per theme, u really pay this?

Anyone fancy helping me work out something that's probably quite simple?

I have no knowledge whatsoever of building websites (aside from a Proboard or two :pac: ) but so far I've managed to add the Zenfolio module and uploaded and sorted photos into albums, etc. etc.

So now I've got that done, I'm trying to figure out how to make an actual home page.

Tried my luck with that Joomble! module, but found it extremely awkward to understand.

Playing with the Drupal one at the moment, but not exactly blown away by the results. Looks pretty crap and I'm not entirely sure I know how to make an actual homepage on it.

I can make a homepage on it, but it just looks like a blog entry that had little effort put into it.

Wordpress, though I haven't really looked at it also looks like it will be more blog-like pages. Meh.

I just want a simple enough page, nothing too complicated or busy, perhaps a customisable background image or theme if possible, where i can stick an introductory message, and have a menu to link to a gallery page (the Zenfolio page), a contact page and then if i get bored in future a blog.

Is there an easy way to do this? Or will I need to just play with Drupal for a while until I figure it out?

EDIT: I've been playing with this for ages and have gotten nowhere! Why don't the different modules acknowledge each other?

The zenphoto one creates a gallery and nothing else, it seems, so i can't create a home, or contact, etc. page with that module, but when I use one of the other modules for that, such as Spip, which I'm trying to use now, it won't let me make a gallery tab on the menu to bring me to the zenphoto page I created.

I still can't seem to make even the most basic or minor changes to Spip. Complicated bastards. I made a relatively nice website using webs before. Now, obviously webs is kinda dumbed down (or at least has that feel to it) but it looked good and was easy to make. This is just making me go around in circles.

EDIT 2: Actually finally got a decent looking website out of WordPress. Was a painstakingly slow process but it was all actually coming together quite well. I knew I was going to have trouble actually getting the site up and running, so I decided to do that and then go back and fix up the other small bits and pieces that were in need of repair.

In my attempt to do so (never dealt with FTP or such before, didn't even know what it stood for, to be honest, until today) so I figured, on my wordpress admin section, my site URL was shanemaguire.ie/wordpress. I reckoned that if I changed that to just shanemaguire.ie, then OVH Manager would know that I did that, and would get rid of their "coming soon" page and instead direct to my wordpress home page (which is a static page, so should have been fine, I thought).

Of course, that's not what actually happened. Instead, I somehow managed to lock myself out of the WordPress admin section, and now get an error message when I put in my user/password telling me that "The requested URL /wp-login.php was not found on this server."

So I thought perhaps that getting rid of the zenphoto module might help me out and clean things up a bit (I downloaded filezilla, an FTP programme) seen as I have all my photos on the wordpress module anyway.

I re-read the "get your site online" OVH tutorial where it says to delete their index.html and change your site name to index.html. So I deleted theirs and then went looking for my own (though I do have a copy of the URL from theirs saved on my PC as a firefox application incase it needs to be replaced again). No such luck finding anything with shanemaguire in the title, so I went looking instead for the Wordpress "index.html". Found an "index.php" i think, but I'm not sure if i moved it or not.

Pretty much, ever since I took the "wordpress" off the url in the wordpress admin that I mention above, the site has imploded and I haven't a clue what to do with it.

I've been up all night messing with it (was actually enjoying figuring it out) but I think it's just after draining all my energy now.

Anyone have any idea of a quick fix to this issue? I'm gonna go to bed and hope that when I come back to the PC, someone will have replied saying something like "just press the big green button in filezilla", and when I do that, the whole site is up and running and looking better than ever before!

I'm doubtful, though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i was in the same position as you were, i installed my wordpress in a sub directory but then i decided to move to to the root directory. so www.mysite.ie/ instead of www.mysite.ie/WordPress/
    luckily i had a suspicion that something like this might happen so decided to uninstall WordPress and reinstall it (didnt have much on it)...

There will be a config setiting somewhere on your WordPress, i had a quick look in the files and it doesnt appear to be there so its probably in your WordPress database tables somewhere. should be handy enough to go in and edit those 2 fields you updated.

if you didnt put much time into your WordPress setup, past putting in the theme you could consider just uninstalling the module from your ovh control panel and reinstall it
    this time install it just to the domain itself (no sub directory)... though that might overwrite and index.php u have in there already.

Thanks Samhail.

I actually got it up and running in the end. A user called JohnathanM helped me out in the web development forum.

I'm shanemaguire.ie and I'm quite pleased with it all things considered.

yeah thats a nice theme. install on some sort of SEO onto that site too and it would look a bit nicer

I wouldn't have a clue how to, to be honest. And I don't want to mess too much with the site incase I accidentally ruin it again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Quoi?

When this says you cant change DNS A Records etc - doesnt mean that I can't use a simple URL Forwarding?
    I.e. my current domain names simply point to my photo hosting as I have no other need for them as yet.

• Advertisement

the starter pack is very limited, doesnt even allow ssh access.
    you can use a html redirect http://www.instant-web-site-tools.com/html-redirect.html

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Great find OP, thanks.

I'm in the process of registering.

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to point my domain to a blogger.com account? I'm fairly handy with template design on blogger, and it would make life very easy if johnsmith.ie just redirected to johnsmith.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

soundbyte wrote: »
    Great find OP, thanks.

I'm in the process of registering.

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to point my domain to a blogger.com account? I'm fairly handy with template design on blogger, and it would make life very easy if johnsmith.ie just redirected to johnsmith.blogspot.com

I just checked and yes, you can redirect to an address of your choice from the admin panel - both visible and invisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,799 ✭✭✭✭Basq

carbsy wrote: »
    I just checked and yes, you can redirect to an address of your choice from the admin panel - both visible and invisible.
    Yeah.. and if all else fails, you could also set up a redirect in Javascript / PHP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Ive registered and I see a couple of documents are needed

Identity evidence of the applicant's legal name
    Is this just a copy of a passport? Would a full driver's licence do?

Other document evindence

is this a bill or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

LowOdour wrote: »
    Ive registered and I see a couple of documents are needed

Identity evidence of the applicant's legal name
    Is this just a copy of a passport? Would a full driver's licence do?

Other document evindence

is this a bill or something like that?

Yes and yes. :) I used a drivers licence and util bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

I take it I missed out? The link just brings me to the prices page now

yeah front page doesnt have the deal anymore. looks like its gone

Shame it's over. Truly an excellent offer.

That said, it's only €2 per month for the basic package anyway, so it's still a steal at €25 per year in my opinion. Even if I don't need or use the site in the next two years, I shall be staying with them, even if just to keep the shanemaguire.ie domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Happy I signed up when I did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Shame it's over. Truly an excellent offer.

That said, it's only €2 per month for the basic package anyway, so it's still a steal at €25 per year in my opinion. Even if I don't need or use the site in the next two years, I shall be staying with them, even if just to keep the shanemaguire.ie domain.

How long did you wait for IEDR registration. I've been waiting 3 days now??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

carbsy wrote: »

Hmm are you sure about this?? The options are there but they are crossed out for me and it says " This option is not active / available in your service ", same for anything to do with DNS or even multi-domains. The free hosting can't even be used for your other domains, it's specifically for your chosen personal .ie domain. You can of course do the redirect with code in your index file and also adding a link in case of browser issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭LowOdour

what day did this end? I got all the email to say my account was created and just to upload docs. Have heard nothing back since

harry21 wrote: »

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I signed up on a Saturday, but it was a bank holiday weekend. I think I was able to start making it on the Thursday.

I know i registered on a saturday, and a week later i was messing about with the site, so it was within four working days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

harry21 wrote: »

Signed up on Sunday night. Rang on Tuesday to see what the story was and was told it was with the IEDR for approval and that can take 24-48 hours. It's now Friday morning and still nothing.

Still, it is free, so I can't complain really.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

soundbyte wrote: »
    Signed up on Sunday night. Rang on Tuesday to see what the story was and was told it was with the IEDR for approval and that can take 24-48 hours. It's now Friday morning and still nothing.

Still, it is free, so I can't complain really.

I signed up and sent my driver's license last Saturday and it was fully set up by Wed morning 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

Heebie wrote: »
    Irish providers can't compete with OVH on pricing for 2 reasons:

1.> None are large enough to get the kind of bulk discounts OVH does on hardware.

2.> Irish providers are doing business in Ireland, which is still an expensive country to do business in.

um, while I know that introducing facts into an argument is generally frowned upon, there are several irish hosting providers who host their kit in Ireland, who provide lower cost hosting and domain registration than OVH (this excludes OVH's free hosting offer on the basis that free hosting is generally worth no more than what you pay for it).

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

** Bump **

I'm bumping this old thread because this offer is almost expired now. I just got a renewal email, and I was wondering if anyone is going to renew. Renewal is about €30 (incl VAT) for 12 months personal hosting, with the .ie domain name. Is there better value than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭doctorg

I am currently with blacknight but this seems to be alot cheaper.

How many websites can I host on the Personal account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

doctorg wrote: »
    I am currently with blacknight but this seems to be alot cheaper.

How many websites can I host on the Personal account?

1000, but only one 200mb SQL database :( : http://www.ovh.ie/web-hosting/web_hosting_personal_25gb_traffic_unlimited_technical_sheet.xml

Advertisement