Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free .ie domain with 2 years free hosting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

basquille wrote: »
    There's no real software that I know of persé... besides the obvious (and often ugly) tools like Dreamweaver....
    I'm a big fan of Wordpress.. I use it on practically everything, but it's not for everyone...

I agree, Wordpress is great. There's also the WYSIWYG web page creator Kompozer (formerly Nvu). It's good for creating simple web sites, or just a few pages, with text and images. It's free software licensed under the GPL.

To publish a document "as is" directly on the internet, OpenOffice has a web publishing wizard built in. To use it, open OpenOffice Writer, and go to File - Wizards - Web Page.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

I just tried to register a domain with these guys. Their ordering process is a joke!! I'm a sole trader with an RBN and they don't seem to have that option. In the end I filled in company with my rbn in the vat field.

They made me verify my mobile number via sms and then a second verification via voice call. I couldn't for the life of me get this second voice verification to work. Seems like stupid verification system!

Sorry guys .. its a great offer but this company doesn't seem to have a clue about how the IEDR application process works.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,798 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cr8or wrote: »
    I just tried to register a domain with these guys. Their ordering process is a joke!! I'm a sole trader with an RBN and they don't seem to have that option. In the end I filled in company with my rbn in the vat field.

They made me verify my mobile number via sms and then a second verification via voice call. I couldn't for the life of me get this second voice verification to work. Seems like stupid verification system!

Sorry guys .. its a great offer but this company doesn't seem to have a clue about how the IEDR application process works.
    That process was painless for me anyways..

Got their SMS fine, and then the voice call was simply entering the code on your phone keypad when prompted.

Sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

It is that you can't change is during the 2 year contract then it's legal, if they hold onto the domain after the two years then it's not legal.
    Is that legal?

You can't sign away a legal right. Just because a company puts something in the T&C / usage agreement / etc does not make it legally binding...
    dlofnep wrote: »
    You accept it as part of the terms & conditions. So yes,
    kazzer wrote: »
    Is that during the 2 years or after the 2 years? Surely you can change when the 2 years is up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Right lads enlighten me as to what the implications of this is in simple terms.

I would also imagine that changing MX records falls under DNS changes which makes it useless for a company with an exchange server.
    Also no A record changes mean no reverse DNS capability even if you can change the MX records.

Grand for a sole trader but no good for a medium to large business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Right I'll give this a miss so, selling a pig in a poke tbh

Their regular domain prices seem reasonable, €5.99 for a .com is good: http://www.ovh.ie/domains/ Plus looks like you can hide your registration details, with their privacy feature for free, most other domain resellers, including GoDaddy, charge for that: http://www.ovh.ie/domains/owo_service.xml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I don't get why everyone is complaining about this, A company is giving away a free domain and some very good hosting for free, Digiweb, blacknight or any else havn't done this, So why are people complaining? :confused:

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I don't get why everyone is complaining about this, A company is giving away a free domain and some very good hosting for free, Digiweb, blacknight or any else havn't done this, So why are people complaining? :confused:

Yeah well said, welcome to Bargain Alerts, where some people look for the faults with every bargain. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Oracle wrote: »
    ...looks like you can hide your registration details, with their privacy feature for free, most other domain resellers, including GoDaddy, charge for that: http://www.ovh.ie/domains/owo_service.xml
    Not with .ie domains, apparently...
    The free OwO service (OVH Whois Obfuscator) enables you to hide your personal whois information for all domain names ending with .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, .mobi, .tv, .cc and .me .
    Sniff.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

Which documents does it require? I have to upload a document to prove my legal name but what's the "other document evidence" about?

peckerhead wrote: »
    Not with .ie domains, apparently...
    Sniff. ;)
    ... not sure about that PeckerHead. There's a option to activate this service in the control panel, not 100% sure though, as my .ie hasn't been processed yet. Maybe Basquille could confirm? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Yeah well said, welcome to Bargain Alerts, where some people look for the faults with every bargain. :D

I've been here a long time, And never noticed that... Mustn't read enough of the replies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,798 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I also don't know why people are getting a tad bent out of shape..

.. you're getting a free domain .ie name with 2 years hosting. It wasn't meant for a small or medium business.

It's a cracking offer.. even for the webspace alone. You're also getting up to 10 databases and up to 100 e-mail addresses. Blacknight's cheapest package only include 3 databases AFAIK.
    ... not sure about that PeckerHead. There's a option to activate this service in the control panel, not 100% sure though, as my .ie hasn't been processed yet. Maybe Basquille could confirm? :confused:
    There is a 'Hide Whois' option but don't think it's available for .ie domains. But to be honest.. if you're getting a personal .ie domain, who registered the domain might be fairly obvious from the web address. Valid person domain names formats for .ie include the following:
    Johnsmith.ie [first name / surname]
    Johnpaulsmith.ie [first name / middlename / surname]
    John-smith.ie [first name / - / surname]
    John-paul-smith.ie [first name / - / middlename / - / surname]
    Johnpsmith.ie [first name / middle initial / surname]
    John-p-smith.ie [first name / - / middle initial / - / surname]
    Jsmith.ie [first initial / surname]
    Jpsmith.ie [first initial / middle initial / surname]
    Jp-smith.ie [first initial / middle initial / - / surname]
    J-smith.ie [first initial / - / surname]
    J-p-smith.ie [first initial / - / middle initial / - / surname]
    Paulsmith.ie [middlename / surname]
    Paul-smith.ie [middlename / - / surname]
    Psmith.ie [middle initial / surname]
    P-smith.ie [middle initial / - / surname]

Whether it includes the free privacy feature or not, I think its a great offer. It's clear it's more suitable for personal, small business/sole trader and non-commercial use. That doesn't make it any less of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Like I said...
    peckerhead wrote: »
    Sniff.

;)
    Thanks for the heads up, Basquille.

Looks like I'll finally be able to change my sig! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Blacknight's cheapest package only include 3 databases AFAIK.
    That's not correct
    Our entry level plan gives you 30 of each type of DB available, so you could have 30 MySQL4, 30 MySQL 5, 30 MS SQL and 30 PostGres on the same plan
    There is a 'Hide Whois' option but don't think it's available for .ie domains. But to be honest..

The IEDR whois only shows the name of the registrant and the type of registration, so no address, email or telephone number is visible regardless of whether the registrant is a private individual or a limited company

Thanks yeah, but do you offer 2 years free hosting and a free .ie domain? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Thanks yeah, but do you offer 2 years free hosting and a free .ie domain? :rolleyes:

Obviously not - no.

However if you do register a domain with us you can update the dns etc., as per the IEDR's registrar contract :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ricky91t wrote: »

I am not sure that people are complaining as such, I know I certainly was not.
    People were clarifying the limitations of the free service.

As an offer it is brilliant, as long as you do not fall in to the danger of registering your precious new .ie company name only to find you can't use your shiny new exchange server or set up A records pointing to your server for remote purposes etc.

As long as people are careful and it is useful to them then as an offer it can't be beat but a certain amount of warning is warranted considering once you use it, you are stuck with it for 2 years.

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    Obviously not - no.

However if you do register a domain with us you can update the dns etc., as per the IEDR's registrar contract :)

Yeah just kidding. Thats good to know. Although I've a feeling most people who will take this up won't be interested in DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Getting Error 1 like others :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Thanks I will try Wordpress when I get up and going.

For anyone having trouble filling in the form I read on the other thread that you need to watch how you enter phone numbers, they need to be in +353 format.

I copied the details of the offer

Your hosting Starter

Price per month Free
    for 2 years!
    Invoicing 24 months

Renew your Starter offer

At the end of the first year of subscribing to your starter offer, you will receive a renewal email . You will need to validate this email to take advantage of your second year of testing with your Starter offer .

What then?

After two years of testing, you will be totally free to choose:
    To stop everything
    To only keep your domain name
    Or to choose from the range of OVH offers to host your site and emails. The change in offer in done 1 click, without your intervention.

Limits to the Starter offer

Your Starter offer allows you to test all the features of OVH's shared hosting , with the exception of Task Scheduler, shared NAS, SSH access and SVN version management.

Editing the DNS and changing DNS zones (fields Cname, A. ..) are not available.

All of these functionalities are available on the Personal, Pro, Business and Premium hosting offers

I read it as you certainly can keep your domain name without having to stay with OVH after the two years or am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

loopymum wrote: »
    I read it as you certainly can keep your domain name without having to stay with OVH after the two years or am I missing something?

Yeah I think so, after the 2 years We're free to cut all ties completly with OVH.

I'm having problems registering though, It's got to the place where it asked me if it's for business or personal. I've chose personal and continue, but it says the domain is not available when I've checked and it clearly is. Just keeps sending around in circles then when choosing continue.

Anywho will try again later!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭colferma

BCawley wrote: »
    I'm having problems registering though, It's got to the place where it asked me if it's for business or personal. I've chose personal and continue, but it says the domain is not available when I've checked and it clearly is. Just keeps sending around in circles then when choosing continue.

Just incase you didn't hear, the domain name problem can happen if it's not in one of the approved formats: briancawley.ie, etc.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Hi there,

I tried to register for this on friday and sent in the documents yesterday. I use Ken as my name even though it says Kenneth on my passport. I tried to register Kencollins.ie, and i'm wondering will this be rejected? Ken isn't exactly a nickname, just a short version of my name!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

How long does it take for the email to come through? I've signed up for myself and helped a friend with it and nothing since yesterday for them and nothing for me for about 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Won't let me enter this format [First name / Surname]. I have an o in my surname

e.g. The personal domain name 'peaderobrien.ie' is not valid, should be one from list : peadero brien.ie, peader-o brien.ie, po brien.ie, p-o brien.ie

Why does it expect a space after the 'o'?

Update: The reason they expected a space is I had one in my surname. Also found the registration worked first time in IE. Was a bit flaky in Firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

snappieT wrote: »
    Very simple - free .ie domain with a 20GB hosting package (4TB monthly bandwidth) for 2 years
    I only got 1 year :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭jaykay74

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I only got 1 year :confused:

I noticed that too :confused: It said 2 years in the original link but when the form was completed it mentioned 1 year.

Advertisement