Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free .ie domain with 2 years free hosting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

The documents accepted are:
    - Irish passport
    - Irish driver's licence
    - Irish revenue / social welfare document showing PPS no.
    - Irish birth certificate
    - Irish marriage certificate
    - Irish utility bill (e.g.: NTL, Chorus, SKY / ESB, Airtricity / Bord Gais / Eircom / Vodafone, O2, Meteor, Three - bill pay phones only)

I received an email from Niall in support regarding my question asking what documents they accepted.

I showed them an AIB statement but they wouldn't accept it. I honestly don't think a free domain and hosting is worth divulging your personal information especially when they could've confirmed my name on the statement.

All .ie domains have the same identity requirements as far as I know, regardless of who you buy it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Mark200 wrote: »
    All .ie domains have the same identity requirements as far as I know, regardless of who you buy it from.

Thanks, I still don't think it's clear what combinations from the list are acceptable to OVH. My confusion is coming from the fact that OVH have two documentation upload boxes. Do OVH require me to prove both my identity and my address? Will OVH accept a Revenue document as proof of address?

The IEDR policy doesn't explicitly state only one document is required, but e.g. Blacknight will accept passport on its own. I've registered IE domains before without having to provide passport or utility bills, but they weren't personal name domains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I showed them an AIB statement but they wouldn't accept it

For the record, I used an AIB Mastercard statement without issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 chubbyhomer

Just to let ye know I uploaded a passport scan in the first box and then an ESB bill to show where I lived in the second box

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I just used my driving license :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I used my three mobile bill. Just downloaded the PDF from my3 and reuploaded it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

While free, I am disappointed. I tried to register, but it wouldnt go through. Tried again with a different domain and now I am being told I am not eligible for the free domain, as I already had an account with them. Even though I told them it was because of failed registration, which they have on file.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

MugsGame wrote: »
    The IEDR policy doesn't explicitly state only one document is required, but e.g. Blacknight will accept passport on its own. I've registered IE domains before without having to provide passport or utility bills, but they weren't personal name domains.

If it's a personal name then you only need one document. If it's a business name then you usually just need the business number and possibly a covering letter ie. no ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,963 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Blacknight wrote: »
    If it's a personal name then you only need one document. If it's a business name then you usually just need the business number and possibly a covering letter ie. no ID.

Seems to me your company is making it near impossible to register, have gone through the entire process, was accepted, documents verified only to be told my commonly used name is not my official name on the documents supplied. Commonly people use abbreviations, such as John as opposed to Johnny, Joe as opposed to Joseph, Dick as opposed to Richard etc etc. Whilst i do understand the strict policies re domain.ie registration, a little leeway would be helpful. Also at the outset it may have been helpful if your company advised people this free offer is for personal name registrations, not particular useful. I don't intend wasting anymore time on this nonsense.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 james77

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Seems to me your company is making it near impossible to register, have gone through the entire process, was accepted, documents verified only to be told my commonly used name is not my official name on the documents supplied. Commonly people use abbreviations, such as John as opposed to Johnny, Joe as opposed to Joseph, Dick as opposed to Richard etc etc. Whilst i do understand the strict policies re domain.ie registration, a little leeway would be helpful. Also at the outset it may have been helpful if your company advised people this free offer is for personal name registrations, not particular useful. I don't intend wasting anymore time on this nonsense.

this thread is not Blacknight's offer?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Two things
    1 - the rules about which names are acceptable as a "personal name" are set out by the IEDR. Go to http://www.pdn.ie - those are the only formats they'll accept

2 - I am not running this offer or involved with it directly, but as we have been mentioned several times in this thread and there seemed to be a lot of odd things being said about IE domains I have been replying to some general queries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

looks like ordering system is down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

it says you can use middle names eg "John Paul Smith" -> johnpaulsmith.ie.

But there is nowhere to enter the middle name...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Just noticed under the 'summary' section of the manager it says expiration date is 2011-10-1 .. thought it was for 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

brk3 wrote: »
    Just noticed under the 'summary' section of the manager it says expiration date is 2011-10-1 .. thought it was for 2 years?
    They'll send you an e-mail after one year and you just validate it to get another year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Mine's all up and running just FTP'd to it, No issues here! :)

RToolan.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

MugsGame wrote: »
    Also, beware the voice verification service won't work during "unsocial" hours. Calls are queued until 07:00 (08:00 French time) the following morning. This had me stumped last night, but I got a nice wakeup call this morning :(

Wish I'd read that before signing up at 4:30am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

OVH is very cheap.. things that business might want to note:

The IP addresses OVH hands out are not Irish IP addresses, so when searching from within Ireland people would see your results far below sites actually hosted here in Ireland.

OVH doesn't peer with Irish ISP's at INEX here in Dublin, nor even in London at LINX, so most traffic to/from sites hosted by OVH have to go through to Amsterdam several hops away before leaving from there to one of OVH's data centres. The trip is several hops longer than a site hosted here in Ireland by an INEX-peered ISP. This means that there would be significantly more latency to those sites for Irish viewers.

Irish providers can't compete with OVH on pricing for 2 reasons:

1.> None are large enough to get the kind of bulk discounts OVH does on hardware.

2.> Irish providers are doing business in Ireland, which is still an expensive country to do business in.

If you can afford a plan from an Irish ISP for hosting, please get one to support the Irish economy, and your fellow Irish residents.

I do have to say, for good measure, that I work for an Irish-owned and Irish-based ISP that hosts websites, among other things. I'm not going to name my employer, nor go so far as to ask you to go with any particular Irish ISP.. that wouldn't, in my opinion, by an ethical thing to do in this forum.

In these troubled times, if the Irish don't start helping the Irish, the economy is going to continue to slide. (buy Irish whenever you can.. and for God's sake make your opinions known the next time there's an election!)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Heebie wrote: »

The IP addresses OVH hands out are not Irish IP addresses, so when searching from within Ireland people would see your results far below sites actually hosted here in Ireland.

OVH doesn't peer with Irish ISP's at INEX here in Dublin, nor even in London at LINX, so most traffic to/from sites hosted by OVH have to go through to Amsterdam several hops away before leaving from there to one of OVH's data centres. The trip is several hops longer than a site hosted here in Ireland by an INEX-peered ISP. This means that there would be significantly more latency to those sites for Irish viewers.

Irish providers can't compete with OVH on pricing for 2 reasons:

1.> None are large enough to get the kind of bulk discounts OVH does on hardware.

2.> Irish providers are doing business in Ireland, which is still an expensive country to do business in.

If you can afford a plan from an Irish ISP for hosting, please get one to support the Irish economy, and your fellow Irish residents.

I do have to say, for good measure, that I work for an Irish-owned and Irish-based ISP that hosts websites, among other things. I'm not going to name my employer, nor go so far as to ask you to go with any particular Irish ISP.. that wouldn't, in my opinion, by an ethical thing to do in this forum.

In these troubled times, if the Irish don't start helping the Irish, the economy is going to continue to slide. (buy Irish whenever you can.. and for God's sake make your opinions known the next time there's an election!)

You should have started with your disclaimer first:
    "I do have to say, for good measure, that I work for an Irish-owned and Irish-based ISP that hosts websites".
    I agree with you btw regarding helping your local people first, we are all in this together after all, even though I'm what you might call a non-national working for a multi-national but hate to hijack the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Heebie wrote: »

OVH doesn't peer with Irish ISP's at INEX here in Dublin, nor even in London at LINX, so most traffic to/from sites hosted by OVH have to go through to Amsterdam several hops away before leaving from there to one of OVH's data centres. The trip is several hops longer than a site hosted here in Ireland by an INEX-peered ISP. This means that there would be significantly more latency to those sites for Irish viewers.....

I'm not sure about the IP address issue, OVH let's you choose what country's IP address your site comes from. You can choose from 11 countries, including Ireland: http://www.ovh.ie/shared_hosting/geolocalisation.xml

Also regarding the latency, I'd say you're talking about maybe a few extra milliseconds, most web site viewers aren't going to notice.

• Advertisement

Haven't got the first notion of websites, or making them, or anything, really, so thought i'd register one with this offer. Don't really care if i make a jock of it, it's free afterall!

Did the SMS and Phone call. Just scanned and sent my Passport and Social Services card to them (with certain parts blurred out on them) and I don't really know what happens next.

Have a message on the screen saying;

"The operation was successfully executed!
    The modification will be effective in few minutes.."

But I have no options now, except going back to the previous page. I assume I should just leave this page until it refreshes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Haven't got the first notion of websites, or making them, or anything, really, so thought i'd register one with this offer. Don't really care if i make a jock of it, it's free afterall!

Did the SMS and Phone call. Just scanned and sent my Passport and Social Services card to them (with certain parts blurred out on them) and I don't really know what happens next.

Have a message on the screen saying;

"The operation was successfully executed!
    The modification will be effective in few minutes.."

But I have no options now, except going back to the previous page. I assume I should just leave this page until it refreshes?

Just have to wait now, because of the bank holiday might take a bit longer too... When I asked, they said "We are wait to complete the registration process with the IEDR." So, you're not the only one waiting :)

Just have to wait now, because of the bank holiday might take a bit longer too... When I asked, they said "We are wait to complete the registration process with the IEDR." So, you're not the only one waiting :)

Ah that's grand, so. At least I know I'm not alone. Will keep my eyes peeled on my email on Tuesday and see if there's any word.

Can't wait to get my website up and running. Should be a laugh trying to figure it all out. :pac:

I've done the SMS and phonecall, but haven't been asked for my documents yet. In the manager it says there's an 'internal error' with the domain creation. Anyone else gotten that?
    Fingers crossed it'll be sorted out soon.

face1990 wrote: »
    I've done the SMS and phonecall, but haven't been asked for my documents yet. In the manager it says there's an 'internal error' with the domain creation. Anyone else gotten that?
    Fingers crossed it'll be sorted out soon.

Have you been checking your emails? I got lost a little along the way, and used a link sent to me in an email to get back to the manager to where i could continue and where they wanted my documents (i believe).

Have you been checking your emails? I got lost a little along the way, and used a link sent to me in an email to get back to the manager to where i could continue and where they wanted my documents (i believe).

Yeah, I've checked the spam folder and everything. In the manager there's a thing called 'Information Authentication' in the My Domains section, but it says there aren't any domains to be verified. Presumably it's something to do with the internal error I mentioned above.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Mine's all up and running just FTP'd to it, No issues here! :)

RToolan.ie

Can't get onto that.. :(

Anyone else want to post theirs? For inspiration :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Are they still offering this?
    'Cause every domain I try gets rejected!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

seanor3 wrote: »
    Are they still offering this?
    'Cause every domain I try gets rejected!

I'll take a guess your surname is o'rielly or has a ' in it, don't use that in your actual name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

I'll take a guess your surname is o'rielly or has a ' in it, don't use that in your actual name.
    Right and wrong.. I am Sean O'Reilly, but I haven't put any punctuation in at all. It won't accept any variation of my name, at all.. [No apostrophes!]

Advertisement