Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free .ie domain with 2 years free hosting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Good offer, but there's a catch...
    Editing the DNS and changing DNS zones (fields Cname, A. ..) are not available

• Registered Users Posts: 43,799 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FYI..

This was posted last week, but had to be locked as the person who posted it was affiliated with the company, and we all know that's not the spirit of Bargain Alerts.

I'm happy to leave it here providing it stays user-driven and no commercial interaction from OVH takes place without consent from myself or the other Bargain Alerts moderators.

My own opinion - I can wholeheartedly recommend this superb office from OVH though as I signed up on it a week back, and am currently running my Cirriculum Vitae site. The only negative for me is the OVH Manager isn't great (would have preferred CPanel), and I don't need an e-mail to my e-mail account telling me I've logged every time I sign onto the OVH Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

testicle wrote: »
    Good offer, but there's a catch...

Right lads enlighten me as to what the implications of this is in simple terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

i tried to sign up to this, helping to design a site for a small local business, but it just would not let me go through with the process, asking me for passports and stuff, not a clue what is goin on.

Right lads enlighten me as to what the implications of this is in simple terms.
    You won't be able to change the hosting provider of your website after 2 years... it'll need to stay with OVH.
    sherdydan wrote: »
    i tried to sign up to this, helping to design a site for a small local business, but it just would not let me go through with the process, asking me for passports and stuff, not a clue what is goin on.
    I don't think you would have been able to use a business name. As far as I know, they were only offering free personal domain names (e.g <firstname><surname>.ie> etc).

As for the passport, this is the norm.. they need to validate your identity for a .ie domain.

• Advertisement

yes, but the name of the business, is a persons name, she is trading under her own name. bah, confusement!

yes, but the name of the business, is a persons name, she is trading under her own name. bah, confusement!
    That would have been fine so I reckon.

But the passport check is normal.. I wouldn't worry about that. I scanned my passport, but blurred out my signature and the strip along the bottom.

well i put myself down as admin and all the rest so that it would be me being contacted with any issues about anything techy. but i put her name as the owner, so i assume i am going to need to send them a scan of her passport?

but i put her name as the owner, so i assume i am going to need to send them a scan of her passport?
    Yep, I'd be pretty sure of that.

thanks a million for the help... i may just give them a ring lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Excellent, Verified and uploaded my three bill to their site, All went very smoothly no catches so far! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

What a deal! Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ahh no matter what( my name, made up names ) i put into the domain name it gives error 1, stupid thing

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭chazlan

So this can't be used to set up a website with a business name!? Anywhere else cheap to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

lmimmfn wrote: »
    ahh no matter what( my name, made up names ) i put into the domain name it gives error 1, stupid thing

Same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Keep getting an error when I sign up. Meh. "Error 1". Tried loads of different domain names.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Me too. :(
    basquille wrote: »
    ...currently running my Cirriculum Vitae site.
    Pssst, Brian — Curriculum Vitae? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Signed up today, where did you guys upload your ID(passport, etc) on their website, it's not very clear or can I just email a pic of it?

Thanks

peckerhead wrote: »
    Pssst, Brian — Curriculum Vitae? ;)
    Ha.. thanks for that!

Did a site for my girlfriend's CV and didn't mispell it there! :p

loopymum wrote: »
    Signed up today, where did you guys upload your ID(passport, etc) on their website, it's not very clear or can I just email a pic of it?

Thanks
    You should have gotten an e-mail from them with the following subject line - " Subject: OVH : Creation of the domain name <domain name here>, documents required" - with should contain a link to their manager / control panel to upload the ID.

Is this working for anyone else right now? I still can't get it working :(

• Advertisement

Thanks Basquille, just uploading a pic of the passport now.

That is sufficient isn't it? I don't need anything else before I validate it?

That is sufficient isn't it? I don't need anything else before I validate it?
    Nope, that should be sufficient. Might be Monday or Tuesday before you hear back from them though.

Thanks again Basquille!

Can you recommend any software to do my the webpage, it's for a business but don't need anything fancy, just somewhere to advertise our special offers etc.

Thanks again Basquille!

Can you recommend any software to do my the webpage, it's for a business but don't need anything fancy, just somewhere to advertise our special offers etc.
    There's no real software that I know of persé... besides the obvious (and often ugly) tools like Dreamweaver.

I'm a big fan of Wordpress.. I use it on practically everything, but it's not for everyone.

Look in your local free ads newspaper.. you'll probably find businesses / students-in-need-of-beer-money who will throw together a very basic decent website for under €100 nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

There's no real software that I know of persé... besides the obvious (and often ugly) tools like Dreamweaver.

I'm a big fan of Wordpress.. I use it on practically everything, but it's not for everyone.

Look in your local free ads newspaper.. you'll probably find businesses / students-in-need-of-beer-money who will throw together a very basic decent website for under €100 nowadays.

There are loads of free templates you can use too. Also coffee cup is good as is expression web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

It's not giving "error 1" anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Where are these guys hosting from, as in which data centre?

Further investigation leads me to believe they are hosting out of Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You won't be able to change the hosting provider of your website after 2 years... it'll need to stay with OVH.

>SNIP

Is that legal?

Is that legal?

You accept it as part of the terms & conditions. So yes,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Is that during the 2 years or after the 2 years? Surely you can change when the 2 years is up?

Advertisement