Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free .ie domain with 2 years free hosting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

If you guys read the details of the offer, it says this

Renew your Starter offer

At the end of the first year of subscribing to your starter offer, you will receive a renewal email . You will need to validate this email to take advantage of your second year of testing with your Starter offer .

My domain is up and running since Monday, great offer

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Thanks for the link. All signed up and just need to upload my password image!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Got my free domain and hosting today thanks OP. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

Signed up Sunday night, Got it Sorted today. Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Eventually registered. Didn't like Firefox in Ubuntu for some reason (It kept getting stuck on one of the screens). I also had to abbreviate my name in the billing as well for some reason and then received an email telling me I couldn't do that :rolleyes: Telling me now I have an order in progress so fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Signed up late last week, adn domain registration went through today. Cheers op, great bargain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭colferma

Many thanks OP, my domain just got the OK. Now I realise I don't have a bull's notion how to upload the site I made onto the domain. Can anyone recommend an FTP client or a beginners' guide or the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

colferma wrote: »
    Many thanks OP, my domain just got the OK. Now I realise I don't have a bull's notion how to upload the site I made onto the domain. Can anyone recommend an FTP client or a beginners' guide or the like?

I always use filezilla and have never had any issues. Once connected, it's as easy as dragging and dropping files from your machine to your FTP location.

Download from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Bawnmore wrote: »
    I always use filezilla and have never had any issues. Once connected, it's as easy as dragging and dropping files from your machine to your FTP location.

Download from here.

Yeah Filezilla is good, there's also gFTP for GNU/Linux users. A handy way to connect quickly to your site is to bookmark the connection. Then, just like using a browser, you can select the bookmark and connect instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

Many thanks to OP for this bargain alert.

I have my business domain with Blacknight and I'm very happy with them but this offer was too good to miss for a personal domain & hosting.

My experience with the sign-up process was smooth and hassle-free so it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

This is probably the best B.A. freebie since the Zinio subs two years ago. :D

Must go and sign up the rest of the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Can an address be registerered with just "surname.ie" or does it have to include "firstnamesurname.ie" or other naming combination ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

ninja 12 wrote: »
    Can an address be registerered with just "surname.ie" or does it have to include "firstnamesurname.ie" or other naming combination ?

Thanks

I'm confident it's firstnamesurname.ie.

This offer sounds amazing though... I'm going to sign up for it when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

OK, maybe I'm missing something, tried to register a domain name, went through the entire process until i came to the final page requesting unique identification number under the choice "Uniquely Irish?", i assumed this is were you put a passport number or whatever but it does not permit entering any details, trying to get to the next page i am informed my choice of domain name is not valid despite trying numerous variations of my full name (seems it only for personal domain names). Am i doing something wrong? can anyone direct me through this process! seems like a great deal if i could actually register! Thanks in advance!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

Dempo1 wrote: »
    OK, maybe I'm missing something, tried to register a domain name, went through the entire process until i came to the final page requesting unique identification number under the choice "Uniquely Irish?", i assumed this is were you put a passport number or whatever but it does not permit entering any details, trying to get to the next page i am informed my choice of domain name is not valid despite trying numerous variations of my full name (seems it only for personal domain names). Am i doing something wrong? can anyone direct me through this process! seems like a great deal if i could actually register! Thanks in advance!

I've had that error too, saying the domain is not valid. Basically I tried again in an hours time and it just worked then.
    The "Uniquely Irish" malarky was just checking if it was for business or personal use. IIRC the box is greyed out if you choose uniquely Irish.

BCawley wrote: »
    I've had that error too, saying the domain is not valid. Basically I tried again in an hours time and it just worked then.
    The "Uniquely Irish" malarky was just checking if it was for business or personal use. IIRC the box is greyed out if you choose uniquely Irish.

Appreciate that BCawley, i'll keep on trying although its a pain in the ass! LOL:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

People are complaining about this?! Seriously?!

AdMMM wrote: »
    People are complaining about this?! Seriously?!

No not at all, there was issues registering but resolved now:D

I took a picture of my passport and I'm trying to upload it... but it's taking a while, it just says "Operation being processed" after I choose the picture to upload and click 'upload now'. Did this take long for anyone? The pictures is only ~700KB.... it's been saying "operation being processed" for over 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Mark200 wrote: »
    I took a picture of my passport and I'm trying to upload it... but it's taking a while, it just says "Operation being processed" after I choose the picture to upload and click 'upload now'. Did this take long for anyone? The pictures is only ~700KB.... it's been saying "operation being processed" for over 5 minutes.

Same here :( I tried it on firefox, opera and IE, still won't upload the pic!

Yes had the same problem so reduced the size of the photo, you need t reduce the dpi (corel draw is quite good) or change the settings on your scanner to reduce resolution, should do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Yes had the same problem so reduced the size of the photo, you need t reduce the dpi (corel draw is quite good) or change the settings on your scanner to reduce resolution, should do the trick.

I've got my scan down to 37 kb... still wont send :(

I just took a picture of my passport with my phone, but I'll see if I can do that and if it works.

Edit - Can't see how to reduce DPI, but I'd imagine that since the picture is below the file size limit that it should work.... perhaps it's just a problem with the website tonight.

I just took a picture of my passport with my phone, but I'll see if I can do that and if it works.

Edit - Can't see how to reduce DPI, but I'd imagine that since the picture is below the file size limit that it should work.... perhaps it's just a problem with the website tonight.

I initially had trouble with my passport photo and utility bill scans but after reducing file sizes i had no problems, just keeping trying is my best advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Got mine set up a few days ago! Thanks OP

I initially had trouble with my passport photo and utility bill scans but after reducing file sizes i had no problems, just keeping trying is my best advice!

Thanks, I just realised there that the picture was actually quite large (whenever I opened it in paint, paint was actually just at 33% zoom), so I reduced it to normal size and I managed to upload it then at about 120KB. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Can anyone who has completed the domain setup process confirm that a scan of my passport is all I need to upload? OVH aren't 100% clear about the documentary evidence acceptable in the final domain ordering stage. The best I could find is http://forum.ovh.ie/showthread.php?p=1751.

Also, beware the voice verification service won't work during "unsocial" hours. Calls are queued until 07:00 (08:00 French time) the following morning. This had me stumped last night, but I got a nice wakeup call this morning :(

MugsGame wrote: »
    Is there an OVH page that describes the documentary evidence acceptable in the final stage?

Also, beware the voice verification service won't work during "unsocial" hours. Calls are queued until 07:00 (08:00 French time) the following morning. This had me stumped last night, but I got a nice wakeup call this morning :(

After you have successfully registered you should have received and email confirming your passwords etc, this brings you to your manager console and here you will find the documentation verification section, i also received and email directing me to the documentation verification page, did you not receive these emails?

The voice verification thingy worked fine for me!

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Can anyone who has completed the domain setup process confirm that a scan of my passport is all I need to upload? OVH aren't 100% clear about the documentary evidence acceptable in the final domain ordering stage. The best I could find is http://forum.ovh.ie/showthread.php?p=1751.

I used a scan of my UK passport and a pdf of my Airtricity bill from the Airtricity website - all went through ok

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

i also received and email directing me to the documentation verification page, did you not receive these emails?

Yes, but did any of the emails you received tell you exactly what documents are required / acceptable?
    The voice verification thingy worked fine for me!

In case I wasn't clear, the voice verification did work for me and I'm now at the documentation stage. However the voice verification WILL NOT work late at night, they have obviously programmed their system to prevent you supplying someone else's number and harassing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 LiquidSquid

Yes, but did any of the emails you received tell you exactly what documents are required / acceptable?

In case I wasn't clear, the voice verification did work for me and I'm now at the documentation stage. However the voice verification WILL NOT work late at night, they have obviously programmed their system to prevent you supplying someone else's number and harassing them.

The documents accepted are:
    - Irish passport
    - Irish driver's licence
    - Irish revenue / social welfare document showing PPS no.
    - Irish birth certificate
    - Irish marriage certificate
    - Irish utility bill (e.g.: NTL, Chorus, SKY / ESB, Airtricity / Bord Gais / Eircom / Vodafone, O2, Meteor, Three - bill pay phones only)

I received an email from Niall in support regarding my question asking what documents they accepted.

I showed them an AIB statement but they wouldn't accept it. I honestly don't think a free domain and hosting is worth divulging your personal information especially when they could've confirmed my name on the statement.

Advertisement