Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

I stupidly went for an interview this morning with DB Organisation, it's actually Roar promotions. Don't bother, when I asked what the job intailed, they explained and I walked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Has anybody dealt with the Vision Organisation based in Drogheda? They seem to be part of AppCo Group Ireland which is part of Cobra group. Have an interview with the tomorrow but wanted to do some research before I go there. There website seems to be bit unprofessional which got me suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 whitewater32

but43r I applied for a job in one of these companies Did they ask you to go business dressed and bring a CV was told that the MD had personally selected my cv and was very impressed with me. I did a little research on them and they bring you off that day and drop you off in housing estates to start selling. Your are also self employed didn't go for the interview hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 daisyk

I am very upset now and wish I had of read this thread sooner. I have been looking for a job for ages now so I can earn some money before I have to return to college in September.
    I was so excited to get the first interview and the fact that I had a little bit of sales experience, I thought I would be suitable for this position.

Not once was I told that it was a door to door sales company, nor did I realize the same business kept changing it's name. I'll definitely keep on my job search. I can't believe after all this they're still continuing. Do they ask everyone back for the "Second Interview"? I'm not going to go to it. Very upset. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Allie G wrote: »
    If ya dont wanna do door to door , your not been held at gun point are ya??? stop winging n get a job!

You are a disgrace.

How there you talk to people like that given your obvious allegiances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hi folks reading through this thread and the address 39 Northumberland Avenue Dun Laoighre came up.

I have an interview with a company called Clearwater Advertising at this address. A quick google brings me to these websites:
    http://www.worky.com/company/clearwater-advertising
    and
    http://www.appcogroupireland.ie/

I am wondering if they are part of this 'scam', should I just not bother with the interview?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

daisyk wrote: »

Not once was I told that it was a door to door sales company, nor did I realize the same business kept changing it's name. I'll definitely keep on my job search. I can't believe after all this they're still continuing. Do they ask everyone back for the "Second Interview"? I'm not going to go to it. Very upset. :(

Chin up. At least you found out now rather than a few more days, weeks down the line.

They ask everyone back. I went along to the "2nd interview" because back then there wasnt' anything on the net about them. That raised a flag in itself. Took me about 10 mins listening to the explaination of how it worked that it was a scam. I still went along with it for the day because i wanted to see exactly how it worked and quite frankly i didnt have anything else to do that day.

A about a week later i had an interview and got a job somewhere else and have been working there ever since.

In case you are curious, It was 2006. Same office on Capel street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

pithater1 wrote: »
    Hi folks reading through this thread and the address 39 Northumberland Avenue Dun Laoighre came up.

I have an interview with a company called Clearwater Advertising at this address. A quick google brings me to these websites:
    and

I am wondering if they are part of this 'scam', should I just not bother with the interview?

Thanks.

Can't answer that myself. I don't know.

However, i can suggest you ask a few questions which will tell you immediatly.

1) What will your role be?

Ie will you actually be an employee on salary or a "Contractor" . If the 2nd then run like hell. Find out exactly what they do and what they want you to do

2) Who takes care of the tax implications? VAT, PAYE, PRSI, USC ... etc

Watch them squirm at this one. If they are legit then they will. Otherwise they will leave it to you.

Point is ask the questions and dont let them evade or delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

and

Thanks.

Clearwater Advertising , Impala Direct , Protea Direct - ignore the names because they mean nothing.
    The ads are the giveaway - positions in marketing , customer service , team management , etc and No Experience required.
    These scammers are very easy to spot and I can't figure how people still fall for it - they are as ubiquitious as the Nigerian e-mail scam.

Don't waste your time going for ' interview '.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 racheldxxx

I am an interview for impala direct cosmetics in the morning anyone know anything about them??? gettin a bit worried reading this :confused:

• Advertisement

racheldxxx wrote: »
    I am an interview for impala direct cosmetics in the morning anyone know anything about them??? gettin a bit worried reading this :confused:

Be afraid , be very afraid.......... seriously rachel if you have read this thread on its own ( and not read the half dozen similar ones on boards ) do you really need to ask that question ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

As a previous 'independent contractor' for two different marketing companies I can assure you all it is not a scam. It is commission based door to door marketing, they never tell you otherwise thus negating the 'scam' that the majority of people on here believe is going on.

As sales/marketing companies however, they do use alot of different techniques to keep you motivated, mainly because if you heard it was a 'door2door commission only job' you wouldn't even think twice of applying. Truth is, if you go into it with an open mind as opposed to thinking its a scam you will actually realise there is alot more to it. It just seems most people are stuck in their ways and refuse to listen to what these people have to say. I can honestly say I have seen people have success and I have seen and experienced the rewards within the structure. As I previously said I used to work for them, no longer do, but because of what I learned from my time there I am now on the cusp of starting my own company, which in my eyes does go to show that what they preach can actually be very valuable to you if you keep an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 racheldxxx

Just got back from an interview on capel street for impala. have a second interview on monday but im a bit worried now anyone know what i should do???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

racheldxxx wrote: »
    Just got back from an interview on capel street for impala. have a second interview on monday but im a bit worried now anyone know what i should do???

if you have read this thread through you will know exactly what is involved, so I'm not sure what answer you want here?
    if you want to go door to door selling crap and be self employed and do your own tax returns, then go to your second "interview".
    If you want a more secure job where you get paid a set wage for a specified job, don't bother going back.
    Fairly clear I would have thought from all the information already given. Its up to you to decide if you want to sell door to door or not.

What I find unforgiveable about these adds scooby is the lies they churn out - if the work is door-to-door then be upfront about it and stop wasting peoples time and money in travelling to ' interviews '.

The industry has a lousy name and it has nobody to blame but itself.

I've saw a few threads about these type of companies lately, perhaps it may be an idea to list these companies in this thread to warn those of us who are currently jobseeking and to tell us who to avoid. Perhaps an idea for a stickie mods?

Impala Direct
    Protea Direct
    B & B Direct
    Clearwater Advertising
    D7 Marketing Solutions
    DB Organisation
    ACT Marketing Direct
    ONYX Marketing

Any others feel free to ad, this thread isn't a bashing session for these companies, merely a resource to save people from wasting their time and money.

I really don't see the need for this, working door to door or at events stands is a job that will provide you with an income. May not be the most fun job in the world but at the end of the day its a way to earn money in a time where jobs are tough enough to come by. No need to discourage people, let them make up their own minds. Some people do enjoy it and as I have said it is a way to earn money.

The only reason they do tend to slightly sugar coat things is to try and make it a little bit more respectable, there isn't really anything malicious about working for any of these companies. For alot of people its a very easy way to make money and enjoy the job. Jobs are tough enough to come by now and these companies are offering a chance to be able to work and earn your own money.

Fair enough if its not for you because of a previous experience or from what you have heard, but I don't think its fair that most people here will actively dissuade people for going for interviews or working with these companies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

scooby2791 wrote: »
    As a previous 'independent contractor' for two different marketing companies I can assure you all it is not a scam.

Actually, I've updated the thread title. People don't seem to understand that there's a difference between a "scam" and just a very tough job..

• Advertisement

Tough job? Thats really up to each person to decide, its a very easy job if your easy going and good with people. All in all this thread, I feel, is very unnecessary. We don't see other threads bashing other tough jobs do we?

Its a tough job if you make it hard on yourself, just like any job. Enough with the hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Reason66

Did anybody ever work for 'capre diam'? any feed back is welcome.

Carpe Diem not a bad outfit. They do Airtricity events sales, so at stands in shopping centres etc.. Alot easier than door to door. Its run by a Vinny Chapus, very nice Frenchman. They work out of the talbot street office with ROAR,DB & Intense. Good atmosphere and a pretty sweet office.

Anyone want any information on any of the Appco companies drop me a PM, met most of the owners of the different companies and know what products and method of sales they all do. I can let you know what there all like basically from my experience under the Appco banner.

Well the point of this exercise is to make people aware of these companies and what they 'offer'.

Let the people be aware of these companies and let them make their own minds up I say.

Scooby, do you work for, or are you an 'MD' of any of these companies?

Full disclosure is always of a benefit on this forum.

Given that these companies at best '' sugarcoat '' ( your words scooby ) the job details then there is a need for a place where people can get the truth and make an informed choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I'm not aware of their practices, can a general outline of the problems with these types of companies be outlined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Reason66

scooby2791 wrote: »
    Carpe Diem not a bad outfit. They do Airtricity events sales, so at stands in shopping centres etc.. Alot easier than door to door. Its run by a Vinny Chapus, very nice Frenchman. They work out of the talbot street office with ROAR,DB & Intense. Good atmosphere and a pretty sweet office.

Anyone want any information on any of the Appco companies drop me a PM, met most of the owners of the different companies and know what products and method of sales they all do. I can let you know what there all like basically from my experience under the Appco banner.

Thanks for the feedback scooby. :)

JackieChan wrote: »
    I'm not aware of their practices, can a general outline of the problems with these types of companies be outlined?

I shall direct your attention to this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055734558

and this one:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056051270

make your own mind up...

• Advertisement

Scooby, do you work for, or are you an 'MD' of any of these companies?

Full disclosure is always of a benefit on this forum.

No I do not work for any of those companies, I did previously for awhile but left about 2months ago for personal reasons. Enjoyed my time there thoroughly though, kept an open mind and my wits about me. Despite what many people believe, alot of the stuff your taught does stand to you and is very useful.

Also, any particular reason you have MD within quotations? As if to assume they are not really MD's?

Advertisement