Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options
  • 09-11-2009 3:14pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

<BOARDS.IE EDIT>This thread is now where you can post about Direct Marketing Companies.

Please stick to the charter, do not post anything you wouldn't be willing to sign your name and address to and respect the forum moderators.

Any companies mentioned on thread are more than welcome to sign up and answer people's questions about their business. We just ask that you're honest!

Thanks

Darragh

</edit>

My friend has an interview with these people tomorrow.

Does anyone know if they are door to door sales?

thanks

----

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Hathor

Yes they are! I was at a second interview today. I applied for a totally different job on a recruiting site and what they have up on the internet is totally different to what they want you to do.
    They didn't mention anything about door to door in the first interview, they told me to come back for a second interview where I'd be able to see what the job would be like. Couldn't get a job spec till I came back. Arrived today and they wanted me to go around the city for 6 hours doing door to door! Absolute waste of time. What they are looking for is nothing like what they have advertised for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Is the meeting place still on top of that run down polish supermarket? ah class. Went for a interview myself a month ago- i ran from them literally-NO WHERE IN THE AD ON JOBS.IE DID IT DAY DOOR TO DOOR SALES! Tell them to go fuk themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Hathor

That's the one! I legged it after 10 mins :D Total disgrace how they can get away with the ads they have up on recruitment websites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Giz a job

I went to them once and when I saw the location and how small it was and remembering that they are constantly advertising for loads of people I realised it could only be door to door sales so I didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hathor wrote: »
    That's the one! I legged it after 10 mins :D Total disgrace how they can get away with the ads they have up on recruitment websites!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - if job advertisements are fake, or misleading, do what I did and get onto the Advertising Standards Association of Ireland. www.asai.ie.

Moaning about it on Boards.ie will achieve nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

irishbird wrote: »
    My friend has an interview with these people tomorrow.

Does anyone know if they are door to door sales?

thanks
    I think theres another thread here about them. Stay away, they are a commision only door to door sales company

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

great thanks

just managed to get them before they left the house :)

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again - if job advertisements are fake, or misleading, do what I did and get onto the Advertising Standards Association of Ireland. www.asai.ie.

Moaning about it on Boards.ie will achieve nothing.

thanks Tom, i have reported the advert :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NerdPantzz

I am due to have an interview with thesepeople tomorrow and had no idea door to door sales is what I'm goeeting involed in! Don't think I'll go to the interview now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BOOKWORM.1

Thanks for the link Tom. I complained to jobs.ie last week about a certain company advertising jobs that don't exist. I'll be e-mailing the standards authority today.

Why do they bother advertising in the first place? Is it for advertisement purposes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Woodgate

They are advertising on FAS website aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BOOKWORM.1

That is unreal - I can't believe they are advertising with FAS. A friend of mine has a small business and was looking for sales people to work on a commission basis only. When she asked FAS could she advertise with them; they ran her.

i received a letter from asai today saying they are investigating my complaint and will be in touch

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The ASAI are excellent - they'll keep you informed of how it all is progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

BOARDS.IE EDIT: Protea Direct have asked to clarify that this post is not directly about their company.

Yeah I have noticed these on job ad sites now for a while. I think I even replied to a few of these ads at some stage. Normally when you see these type of emplyers who constantly have ads up they are cold calling sales companies. As for not telling people at the 1st interview that really pisses me off. This happened me in Galway once where I went for this "big interview" and got the call back to do a days training where we got to find out more about how the supposed marketing company worked. They brought us off in cars for the day to some **** hole in Mayo and we had to observe cold calling houses all day. Couldn't even leave as we had no lift back to Galway. Unbelievable how these companies get away with doing this. Was only around 19 at the time so a bit naive and just told them I didnt want the job when they offered it to me but if something like this happened now I would really let them have it. The last thing people need when they are looking for a job is to have their time wasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

BOARDS.IE EDIT: Protea Direct have asked to clarify that elements of this post do not directly relate to their company. They do not sell door to door.

I know someone who went to one of the interviews only this week (hence why I decided to check them out on Boards, because the name rang a bell!). Like others she was told to come back for a second interview. SECONG INTERVIEW!!!!! :eek: to traipse around and sell door to door??? anyway, I've given her the heads up so that she doesn't waste her time. She doesn't mind sales actually, but its the idea of dragging yourself all around the city selling sh!t from a holdall that she doesn't like!

However she is not convinced by my advice to her that this is what they do. They told her in interview that they have lots of high profile telecoms clients such as <snip> and she would be essentially doing B2B sales.

Can any one tell me exactly what kind of selling they do? is it business to business for decent products? if so she would actually be happy with that as it is what she did in her last job and was really good at it. or is it anything like other places where they give you a giant holdall of crap that Tommy's world of wonder would find hard to sell, or make up that would probably strip the skin off you, and they expect you to basically flog this crap to people in work, going into shops and offices etc?

any more information anyone? before she wastes her time on Friday?

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Dublin branch is full of assholes-it really is. Hope your friend is used to being fake, self centered and overall douchebag. Enjoy.

so helpful - really, thanks for that! :rolleyes:

anyone else actually got some information on what they actually do as part of the daily routine?

My mate mentioned to me last night that she asked what the work was on a day-to-day basis and they fobed her off with their best marketing speil without actually giving an account of a typical day/typical duties etc. She asked about salary and was told that would be discussed at the second interview!
    Red flags everywhere now!
    We are both still very curious to know actually what they do though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

i have an interview with them tomorrow morning, went to the first interview of another company like this called onyx marketing. they are all the same .evasive questions when i further enquired about the door to door selling and commision only salary.Avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

O my god! Thank you!

I was just about to click send on my application.

I while back i applied for a marketing job and they pretty much kidnaped me and brought me to Maynooth and made me do door to door sales ALL day!!!

Job description was totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

BOARDS.IE EDIT: We have been requested by Protea Direct to point out that the below post is not about their company.

---

I cant believe these people are still around!

I dropped out of college when I was 19(7 years ago) and to soften the blow to my mom, I applied to AKDS in Cork.(Jason Freyne was in charge of the dublin office and brought it to cork) It promised career progression, on the job training, bonuses etc. I got the job and stuck with it for 2 months.
    Iv now trained as a chef and have been working as one for 5 years and although the catering industry is very tough at times-long hours, unpaid overtime, weekend work- Its nothing compared to the ****e you have to put up with when selling door to door!
    We never had things in a holdall. We had a few campaigns, like loyalty cards really. 2 I remember were Clancys restuarant in Cork city and 4 Star pizza. You sold the card to the customer for €30. For the €30 the customer could benefit from a buy one get one free type deal for 3 months. It worked out, if you were a frequent customer of either of these businesses then You could save a lot of money.

Of the €30 we got to keep €10. Target of each day was over 7 sales. If you made over 7 sales 3 days running you were promoted to a trainee manager. As a trainee manager you were then responsible for recruiting your own staff.....hence all the advertising me thinks.
    Your day started out at 10am...out all day back in the office for 9pm.
    You were screwed if assigned to a poorer area, as I usually hadnt a penny until the first sale.
    The one thing about it is there was a great social scene with it-cos everyone was in it together.
    The way I see all those people with the scratch cards selling them door to door is well at least they're being proactive about it all, Its better than sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring!
    Phew long message!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I have also experienced this, with this particular company.
    I replied to a job advert on a certain website for a "Customer Contact Advisor." I applied, as I do have experience in a customer service role, and my immediate thoughts were a call center environment.

I received a phonecall the next day, and my 1st interview was scheduled
    At no time during this interview, was I informed of the commission only structure, or the actual nature of the job (door 2 door). I was informed that it was a selling role, (which is not mentioned in the job title), but looked over this as I have selling experience, and consider myself a good salesperson.

They immediately invited me to a few hours (I consider a few hours to be 3-4 hours) of observing what they do and how, worded as a second interview. I pitched up to this, to be bought out to a housing estate, to sell door to door. Again, while I hate door to door salesmen calling to my house, I thought I need a job, money is money.

After spending a few hours trapsing around, I am then informed that its a commission only role. I was reassured that within a few months that I would be a manager, and would not be out in the field. But again, a managers salary is commission only, depending on the sales and performance of those under you. So its your imperative as a manager/assistant manager/trainee manager to get more salesmen on board. And thus repeat the circle again, and again, and again (exactly how it was explained to me, maybe not word for word)

While I am sure that their agents do make money, and there might be genuine oppurtunites to progress, a commission only role is not enough security for me. Not only that, you are considered to be self employed, and thus retain an accountant to do annual tax returns. An extra expense not incurred in a usual job. No allowance made for travel or work expenses. ANd again, you are totally open to market conditions, one week you could probably make €500-€600, but the next you might make nothing. I prefer a guaranteed wage, with commission if its a sales role.

I was offered the role, but of course turned it down, as I believe I was mislead by the job advertisement, and the 1st interview. I am going to report it to the jobs website in question, and the ASAI.

Steer clear folks!

Edit: I do believe this could be catagorised as Multi-Level Marketing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_level_marketing

bongi69 wrote: »
    I have also experienced this, with this particular company.
    I replied to a job advert on a certain website for a "Customer Contact Advisor." I applied, as I do have experience in a customer service role, and my immediate thoughts were a call center environment.

I received a phonecall the next day, and my 1st interview was scheduled
    At no time during this interview, was I informed of the commission only structure, or the actual nature of the job (door 2 door). I was informed that it was a selling role, (which is not mentioned in the job title), but looked over this as I have selling experience, and consider myself a good salesperson.

They immediately invited me to a few hours (I consider a few hours to be 3-4 hours) of observing what they do and how, worded as a second interview. I pitched up to this, to be bought out to a housing estate, to sell door to door. Again, while I hate door to door salesmen calling to my house, I thought I need a job, money is money.

After spending a few hours trapsing around, I am then informed that its a commission only role. I was reassured that within a few months that I would be a manager, and would not be out in the field. But again, a managers salary is commission only, depending on the sales and performance of those under you. So its your imperative as a manager/assistant manager/trainee manager to get more salesmen on board. And thus repeat the circle again, and again, and again (exactly how it was explained to me, maybe not word for word)

While I am sure that their agents do make money, and there might be genuine oppurtunites to progress, a commission only role is not enough security for me. Not only that, you are considered to be self employed, and thus retain an accountant to do annual tax returns. An extra expense not incurred in a usual job. No allowance made for travel or work expenses. ANd again, you are totally open to market conditions, one week you could probably make €500-€600, but the next you might make nothing. I prefer a guaranteed wage, with commission if its a sales role.

I was offered the role, but of course turned it down, as I believe I was mislead by the job advertisement, and the 1st interview. I am going to report it to the jobs website in question, and the ASAI.

Steer clear folks!

Edit: I do believe this could be catagorised as Multi-Level Marketing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_level_marketing

wonder how long Protea will take to contact boards about your post. Aparently they are NOT a door-to-door sales racket. Well maybe they say they are not but IMO they are - and that is my opinion only, and they can bog off if they think they will change this opinion with emails asking the mods to edit the posts.
    I notice they haven't clarified anything or come back with an explanation as to why they don't mention salary, the commission structure, that you are self-employed etc at the interview???? answer that one Protea if what you do is not in any way underhand????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Well they can contact boards.ie all they like about my post. If they really wanted to they could easily figure out who I am, considering that the manager and I hail from the same part of the world and my alias here gives it away.
    So they have my mobile number (ugh!), and if they want to clarify any details of my post they can go right ahead, because all of the above is the truth, and I have a few choice words that wouldn't be acceptable here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

If I remember correctly they're based in dunlaoghre? *spell check sorry*
    anyways several companies operate out of these. To name a few onyx, Xr and Cobra. Simply google the address or the companies. You will find they're not even registered. Got roped into a day out with em before. Its horrible. commission only. No basic, which means if you don't make a sale you don't get to eat tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 missneedajob

Like everone else here i had no idea this was a door to door sales role , in fact commision only has not been mentioned to me either, due for interview this thursday the 14th of jan 2010 but do not think i'll bother.
    its tough enough looking for work without people lie these about to waste our time.
    How can their add's be so differnt to the roles on offer?
    Its just so wrong .
    Thanks everyone on boards.ie
    withour you my thursday afternoon would have been a total waste

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EskimoJack

I work for one these companies looking after the IT.

The worst part of these out fits is the amount of money they take for themselves. If you sign up for one of the cancer charities on a direct debit of 15e per month, the salesman gets 50e the company gets 50e living the charity with very little in the first year of the subscription. They run under the Cobra umbrella who should not have been allowed to operate in this country.

It is discusting that these companies make vast amounts of money in this way particulary cancer charities = pure scom.

If you want to help a charity give it to them directly

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I really cannot believe that the admins on boards are entertaining these people and editing posts. It is obvious that they are misleading people at a time when jobs are scarce. I wonder do Protea Pine realise that there is an organisation using a similar name that could tarnish their brand by their deceptive actions?

If this is unfair or wrong then I challange someone from Protea Direct to respond to peoples concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

gandalf wrote: »
    I really cannot believe that the admins on boards are entertaining these people and editing posts. It is obvious that they are misleading people at a time when jobs are scarce. I wonder do Protea Pine realise that there is an organisation using a similar name that could tarnish their brand by their deceptive actions?

If this is unfair or wrong then I challange someone from Protea Direct to respond to peoples concerns.
    +1

I was unemployed a while back and was delighted to get a call back from these...until i found out what they were!

Its really unfair in this climate to raise peoples hopes and then screw them over with crappy door to door commisiion only sales jobs - that were advertised as everything under the sun from "sales technician" to "customer service"

What I dont understand is, if theyve nothing to hide why dont they post in the thread instead of running squealing to the admins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

gandalf wrote: »

Actually I read about this company before in opinions from past employees and interviewees, I thought they were exaggerating, but after reading the MODs edits on behalf of the company, I have made my mind up!!

It just confirms what people are saying if all they can do is say they are not a pyrymid scheme. ha ha...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,218 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Went to an interview in Capel Street. Unbelieavbly vague, would not tel me anything more until the second interview.

Did my research and thankfully cancelled the second interview.

Everyone here who has dealt with them should contact ASAI.

Advertisement