Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Allie G wrote: »
    well weirdly enough i know a girl off 2 canada wit dis company in 3 weeks. She is living outta home and has been able to afford to go out every weekend!! money can't be dat bad !!!!

Yeah, she's probably pretty high up on the scam. You can do pretty well out of it if you have no inhibitions or morals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Allie G

no actually!!! she isn't!! and she has a good head on her shoulders!! She has a great work ethic and I have known her to leave a job because she didn't agree with what they were doing!!! plus i see most of these threads are about the dublin office!!!! i'm sure they hav more than 1 office coz she is always gone on roadtrips!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Please don't use text speak.

It's a bit sad that because some people get off their backsides to do a bit of work they get dogs abuse!! is it fair that the people who will do the jobs most of us turn our noses at get the slack!

They would not get dogs abuse if they were open and upfront with people. Full disclosure and all that good stuff.

• Advertisement

well if you get misleading information contact airtricity and they will be sacked! And they have a leaflet in hand so how could they give misleading information???

Who mentioned Airtricity? Look at the thread title.

Are you a sales person for them? You seem to know alot about them. There seems to be an awful amount of them around these parts today.

no but isn't that not what they do???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Airtricity/eircom/sky digital are legit as they are upfront and honest to potential employee's. I'm criticising the dishonest cúnts who run these glorified pyramid schemes, businesses based entirely on deceit and misleading people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Right so some new poster comes along and makes almost every post defending a rather indefensable company.

I assume you wont declare your interests?

Go back through the thread. Read the links. Go to google, look up Multi level marketing scams and stuff like Cobra marketing...

If you have the misfortune to work for them. Leave now. Save yourself.

I passed by that address on capel st today. I think they are calling themselves Impala direct now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 lizzyxox08

hiya :) did any of you work for one of these companies before?? jus wanna know a bit about them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mary.

This work involves being the slave labourer at the bottom end of a huge pyramid scheme. Only the strangest or most sales orientated people will stay. Horrible horrible setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Their job adverts are totally misleading, and they hide the fact that you have to work for free.

Protea are also known as impala direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Was disappointed that todays prime time on rte didnt mention protea direct as they promised but rather was a generic stab at pyramid schemes.

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

hello932 wrote: »
    Was disappointed that todays prime time on rte didnt mention protea direct as they promised but rather was a generic stab at pyramid schemes.

<SNIP>

God damn, I was really looking forward to seeing that . I used to (a couple of years ago for a short period of time :P) be a receptionist for a company like this , and let me tell you.... the things I was asked to do, and the things I had to put up with you would not believe. I was behind the scenes somewhat so I knew exactly what kind of financial position the company was in, and everyday I would here the boss tell the people working there how they would be making millions in a year if they stuck with it. I made it my business before I left to tell everyone who was working there everything I knew about the inner goings on.

Some people do make a good bit of money doing it, but those are few and far between, most of the people there were losing money everyday traveling around the bloody place.

It wasn't my finest moment being associated with a company like that, but hey i actually got paid weekly. It was a short stint to say the least.

Would have loved to have seen Prime Time name and shame all the companies like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭poncho000

Anybody had any dealings with S&S installations?? I have an interview with them tomorrow and am worried. They say they sell for SKY but would like to have that confirmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Is it bothering anybody else that when you search for jobs in Dublin on Jobs.ie that the results page is saturated with the scam-artist companies who claim to be "Marketing companies?" A few years ago, over the space of two years, I went for three interviews with these companies. Yes I may have been stupid to keep falling for it, but I eventually learned my lesson. And in my defense, the three companies had listed themselves under different names.

My main issue with them now is that they take up about half of the Jobs.ie listings pages.

They are coming under new names all the time; the common denominator being that their new names are always very dramatic, epic and purposely "cool-"sounding, which I can only assume is to dredge in the vulnerable and easily-impressed (as I once was.)

At the moment, they are going under the following names:

Intense Marketing
    ACT Marketing Direct
    Field Management Ireland
    Roar Promotions
    Vero Solutions Ltd
    Clearwater Advertising
    Carpe Diem
    Impala Direct Ltd
    ONYX Marketing
    Majestic Marketing
    Giraffe Marketing
    [edit] also Spire Marketing (which this thread reminded me of. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055864600)
    etc etc etc

And yes they are all the same company. And the only company who even during the recession are constantly hiring "25 PEOPLE NOW!!!" and with "NO QUALIFICATION REQUIRED!!!!" *Alarm Bells*

The job ads suggest you're going to be working in marketing. What you are going to be doing, to be more precise, is going door-to-door trying to sell people stuff. I know, I fell for it three times (although never once went back for a second "interview," despite being called for one each time.)

I remember about a year ago there was a radio phone-in show where loads of people were ringing up complaining about this company (sorry - "these companies"), about how newly-hired "staff" showed up and were made go door-to-door after being told they were going to be doing something different, and then not even getting paid. etc etc...

In each of the interviews I went for, they told me I would be a manager within 9 months. *More ALARM BELLS*

Anyway, I'm over it. I just WISH Jobs.ie would stop letting them clog up their website!!! It's wrecking my head while I'm trying to search through the jobs listings.

Mod note from this post:
    Eoin wrote:

All the door-to-door/commission-only job threads are being moved into one thread from now on.

Please consider the words you use; we would rather we can keep these threads open, but if people continue to throw around libellous terms, then the threads will just have to be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I'd say Giraffe Marketing is real enough. I saw girls driving around in one of their cars in Ranelagh handing out bags of Haribo, so they definitely do some promotional work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

D7 marketing are the worst.
    I got the job for them they told me i was starting on a monday few months back as a Administrative/Cleric.
    Long story short!!!
    I ended up in monaghan with a car load of people with cases full of veronica jackson make up selling it on doors.
    Warning to all use my expeirence as an eample because its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 overeager

I totally agree OP, jobs.ie should sort it out!

One surefire way of knowing is to ring them up, they usually refuse to explain what the job is. It was actually quite funny how hard they tried to avoid answering a simple question.

Everyone should ring up and organise fake interviews to waste their time as they have wasted many job-seekers' time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

I'd say Giraffe Marketing is real enough. I saw girls driving around in one of their cars in Ranelagh handing out bags of Haribo, so they definitely do some promotional work.

Giraffe is real, not actually a bad company to work for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Giraffe is real, not actually a bad company to work for

Yes, the companies are real. Nobody was exactly suggesting they were imaginary...

whirlpool wrote: »
    Yes, the companies are real. Nobody was exactly suggesting they were imaginary...

Eh, yeah ...

I was pointing out that, from my experience, Giraffe shouldn't be lumped in with Spire/Onyx etc.

Not taking any sides here but think giraffe are a bit better than the rest of that crowd BUT i wouldn't consider working for them or ask anyone too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Vero Solutions Ltd is a proper company and quite a innovative and successful one at that, i'd be removing that one from your list.

And no i dont work for them.

Yeah, I've had a negative experience with the one on Capel St., and there is a legitimate point to be made, but I think it's diluted by mixing up different kinds of company. The "self-employed," "door-to-door" brigade are different to companies who employ promo girls at regular rates etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Are they actually "scams" though, or just really shìt jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

eoin wrote: »
    Are they actually "scams" though, or just really shìt jobs?

Nail on the head there. While its a little deceptive when they advertise, at the end of the day, its the prospective employees responsibility to find out what they're letting themselves in for.

Obviously there's the whole issue of being self employed etc.... but realistically, I'd research any job i was going for, and turn down one i didnt agree with.

Yeah, I've had a negative experience with the one on Capel St., and there is a legitimate point to be made, but I think it's diluted by mixing up different kinds of company. The "self-employed," "door-to-door" brigade are different to companies who employ promo girls at regular rates etc.

D7 is the worst i hate them.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭poncho000

does anybody have any experience with company called s&s installations? They are on jobs.ie but in fariness they are not hiding the fact that they are door to door. Just looking for some feedback on them

Advertisement