Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

I'd say Giraffe Marketing is real enough. I saw girls driving around in one of their cars in Ranelagh handing out bags of Haribo, so they definitely do some promotional work.

They are real, they run various projects. Main example is I know they used to run the sky stands in the shopping centers ( I used to work for them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Eh, yeah ...

I was pointing out that, from my experience, Giraffe shouldn't be lumped in with Spire/Onyx etc.

Eh hang on a minute. They are all part of the same company, so yes they most definitely should be lumped in together. How can you rationally dispute this?

Do you actually have any experience with the rest of the companies? Or are you just guessing that they are not like Giraffe?

Regarding the question of whether they are scams are not, here is your answer: Divisions of this company (under different names) are known to advertise a job position. People have gone in for interviews for this position and have then been hired for that position, and when it comes to doing the job it turns out to be a different job to what they were interviewed for. FACT. They have also hired staff and got them to do work, and then not paid them. FACT.

So yes it is "really sh1t" work, and they have also scammed potential employees. FACT.

So there's your answer.

The fact that there are people who have been employed by Giraffe and have enjoyed working with them does not change any of these facts, no matter how much you may like it to.

Vero Solutions Ltd is a proper company and quite a innovative and successful one at that, i'd be removing that one from your list.

And no i dont work for them.

Removing them from the list? Why is that? Are they not part of the same company that the rest of them came from, no? So tell me, where did Vero Solutions come from?

Trashbat wrote: »
    Nail on the head there. While its a little deceptive when they advertise, at the end of the day, its the prospective employees responsibility to find out what they're letting themselves in for.

It is indeed the prospective employee's responsibility to find out what they are letting themselves in for. The problem arises when they do the research and are provided with incorrect information. i.e. they are scammed. as has happened with this company which is divided into many subdivisions going under the names I listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Travelled from Galway to Dublin for an interview with Field management ireland and never got a yay or nay from them even after e-mailing the person who carried out the interview AND the managing director!! Another €50 down the swanny :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

whirlpool wrote: »
    Eh hang on a minute. They are all part of the same company, so yes they most definitely should be lumped in together. How can you rationally dispute this?

Do you actually have any experience with the rest of the companies? Or are you just guessing that they are not like Giraffe?

Regarding the question of whether they are scams are not, here is your answer: Divisions of this company (under different names) are known to advertise a job position. People have gone in for interviews for this position and have then been hired for that position, and when it comes to doing the job it turns out to be a different job to what they were interviewed for. FACT. They have also hired staff and got them to do work, and then not paid them. FACT.

So yes it is a "really sh1t" work, and they have also scammed potential employees. FACT.

So there's your answer.

The fact that there are people who have been employed by Giraffe and have enjoyed working with them does not change any of these facts, no matter how much you may like it to.

This is a completely unbalanced response. I have no vested interest in this subject, couldn't care less if all of these were closed down tomorrow. Are you saying all of the names mentioned in the OP are subdivisions of the same company?

This is a completely unbalanced response. I have no vested interest in this subject, couldn't care less if all of these were closed down tomorrow. Are you saying all of the names mentioned in the OP are subdivisions of the same company?

It is entirely balanced. You were suggesting that just because you have had a positive experience with Giraffe, that that means they aren't of the same breed. Yet, you seem to know nothing of the rest of the companies, thus deeming your claim entirely invalid.

And yes, all of the companies listed in the OP are subdivisions of the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

It is entirely balanced. You were suggesting that just because you have had a positive experience with Giraffe, that that means they aren't of the same breed. Yet, you seem to know nothing of the rest of the companies, thus deeming your claim entirely invalid.

And yes, all of the companies listed in the OP are subdivisions of the same company.

Actually I wasn't. There's no need to jump down people's throats just because they disagree with you. If you had read more carefully you would see that I have only an observer's experience of Giraffe, and I had an interview with D7. Does that mean my contribution is invalid? Which would suggest that you are thoroughly familiar with the operations of each of the subdivisions you listed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Removing them from the list? Why is that? Are they not part of the same company that the rest of them came from, no? So tell me, where did Vero Solutions come from?

Vero Solutions (http://www.vero.ie/) are a reputable company and i have no idea why they are on your list. Yes the hire marketing people but they are proper jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

These companies are wan**rs. I went for an interview and ended up walking around watching a guy sell airtricity. After 30mins I was like fcuk you I'm outta here!! He said he usually pulls in E120 on commission a day, but I found that very hard to believe.

They are a scam because they wont tell you what your doing until a few minutes before they send you out.

The guy who interviewed me was a creep and thought he was Bill Gates. HA! I pretty much laughed at hime when he offered me a job! :D

The company was ONYX.

Do yourself a favour and stay away!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dreababyluxe

Have friends who work for Giraffe and I'd say they're a bit different to the other "businesses" you've listed. I have had interviews with some of those companies you mentioned tho and I do reckon the ones I encountered are scams and they do spam job sites - it's really annoying. Most their ads are recognisable tho, the same jibber jabber, "No Experience? No problem. Start a career in sales and marketing today." I just don't bother applying to them anymore. There's a few you haven't mentioned I've had interviews with, in Galway, Limerick and Cork but can't think of their names... PMD was one of them. It really p***es me off that they won't put up the employers name when they advertise either!

I've worked for Imagine Marketing and CMS Marketing tho, who are as far as I know along the same lines as Giraffe and were/still are fantastic to me as an employee, and the work is generally great fun!

PS I did a job once in Clonmel for Field Marketing Ireland distributing leaflets for carphone warehouse but I never got paid. Was owed about €400 too. It was back in about 2005/6.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,934 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There are definitely some people involved in these organisations posting in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Jobs.ie will not remove the ads anymore than Ebay will remove adverts from people selling fake Ralph Lauren Polo shirts.

Somebody has to make money and so long as the company is incorporated then why should Jobs.ie shun them.

Even during the "boom" years there were nasty jobs out there. Its only now when there are 500k people looking for jobs(maybe) that people notice how little good jobs are out there and fixate on these jobs.

Another example is Carzone. There is a company in North Dublin importing cars from the UK. Many of their cars are not even in Ireland. They have not even bought them. They will buy it if you but it off of them. If you do a search for BMWs on Carzone you get flooded with these cars which are not even for sale in this country. Will carzone do anything about it? They haven't.

So lets not expect Jobs.ie(whom have to make money) to do anything soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Dont understand why some people cant accept that Giraffe are nothing at all like the other companies metioned. They pay basic salaries plus commision for staff who run the kiosks. People here should check their facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,934 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dont understand why some people cant accept that Giraffe are nothing at all like the other companies metioned. They pay basic salaries plus commision for staff who run the kiosks. People here should check their facts.
    Don't understand why you care so much, or do I?

OP what company are they all a sub division of?...

And I don't see why people on this site are obsessed of accusing people of being associated with X,Y and Z just cause they defend them. I really don't think giraffe could in any way be associated with the sorts of places we're discussing which I repeat I've been interviewed for and ran a mile from!!! They're sales jobs sugar coated as marketing posts IMO, and giraffe seem to be more of a promotional company who are upfront about the jobs, brief staff and pay hourly or daily rates going by what friends tell me...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

CSF wrote: »
    Don't understand why you care so much, or do I?

I previously worked for this company and I dont like to see genuine companies being lumped in with those who are part of the "Cobra" operation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055734558

Protea direct are now trading as Impala.

As discussed in the thread above, a few of us (me included) were dragged around housing estates etc. etc., and the only recourse you can really have is taking a case with the ASAI, if the job ad is misleading or misinforming, as a number of us did, successfully.

I also made a complaint to Jobs.ie, and their general manager called me the next day to say that they are investigating the company involved, and had received correspondance from the ASAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robe4ie

Hey I worked for Roar promotions for a number of months. It's not a scam it's just a ridiculous job. You can earn up to like 600 a week, although that will probably happen once and some weeks you will make basically nothing. You pay all your own expenses (travel, credit, food), the job ends up costing you money some weeks. You work your basic 11 hours days (joke on the basic) and you're pretty much forced to work Saturdays or else "you won't be promoted". I was pretty good at sales but I still didn't make half as much money as I should of for the amount of hours I put in.
    Do yourself a favour and get any other job. This job is an exception to the rule, Beggars CAN be choosers!

Also I work for Giraffe sometimes, they have nothing to do with Cobra and they pay well. Great company.

But if you go in to an interview and they tell you that you will have an unpaid training day walking around some dodgy estate in Tallaght in the lashing rain. Spend your bus money home on a bag of popcorn and walk home cause you'll probably find more money on the street than you'll make on your first week in these companies. :)

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lespoon

i got a call from "intense marketing" today saying i had an interview. anyone have experience with this group? is it worth the journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NR04

I thaught those people on the sky stands were only paid on commission??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Batiste

the only job scams i know of are fas and jobfit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

NR04 wrote: »
    I thaught those people on the sky stands were only paid on commission??

Very random, this is a very old thread...

Em, no they aren't only paid on commission. I used to work in one of them stands (if you need proof go through my posts back a year or two and you will find someone caught me out on it)

From my memory i got paid like 10 or 12 an hr, plus commission. The commission was very hefty to, averaging 50 quid per transaction or so I think it was, but you didn't make a big number of sales 1 or 2 a day if lucky? but basic + would of been good enough reason to do the job tbh!,

Only bad point was, that the job got boring and lonely quite fast... oh and the one in stephens green was freezing!!! It's right beside the entrance doors, and the breeze through there is horrible!

Btw, I worked for Giraffe Promotions. Can personally vouch for them. That was the only job I worked for them, I done it for about 9 months or so? I don't know if they also have a door to door sales thing do.

They are based near UCD, think they worked under an umbrella though... creative solutions possibly?

Either way, I got a sweet job with them, got it from jobs.ie
    That are decent.

*** EDIT not sure if its clear, but it was the sky job that was with Giraffe Promotions. I was contracted to Giraffe, who were contracted to Sky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jackiemoon10

Any idea on the legitimacy of DB organisation? Stood up the Spire Marketing job interview the other day after reading this thread (sent them on a bit of a wild goose chase in galway), but also got an interview for DB organisation which seems very similar by its description on jobs.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Impala Direct (as protea are now known) are still advertising jobs in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FayeRayRay

anyone know if Carpe Diem Marketing are dodgy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

I would be instantly suspicious of any organisation with such a cheesy name tbh. I suppose it oculd just be worth turning up for an interview if you get one (which you will), and if you hear something that you don't like, just walk out straight away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭City Boi

I applied for "marketing" jobs on jobs.ie before and ended up going door to door. However, I just finished reading through this thread and heard that some places aren't so bad, such as Giraffe and Vero, was just wondering though are they the type of jobs that tell you to 'apply today, start tomorrow'? or do you need lots of qualifications to join them|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ericdogg

Called for an interview 2mro!! Anyone know anything about them??

Advertisement