Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Reason66 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback scooby. :)

No problem, hopefully you will enjoy it. Need any more info, just drop me a pm

Delancey wrote: »
    Given that these companies at best '' sugarcoat '' ( your words scooby ) the job details then there is a need for a place where people can get the truth and make an informed choice.

Sugarcoat is a fair word IMO, they do not lie. It just stops people deciding the don't like it before they try it. Hence why 'commission only' job offers get such low hits. Unfortunately all the threads started here about said companies are very slanderous, and many are actually from ex employee's who feel hard done by or others who have no experience in dealing with them but just have a dislike towards them.

The companies under the Appco group do actually offer a fantastic opportunity to anyone willing to give it a shot and not just turn their nose up at it when they here commission. Unfortunately, I believe that anyone who comes on here will never find the full truth about these companies because the majority on here all have issues with it.

Nothing dodgy about these outfits, I never had any issues with them, paid on time every week, always got the amount I earned, never mis-treated, had some great nights out, met some very cool people(one of which I will be opening a company with next week). Its a pity none of the success stories are posted on here. Ah well, all I can do is say give it a try, make up your own minds after a few weeks in the job, what you read here hopefully won't influence your decision, make your own one up after giving it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

scooby2791 wrote: »
    Sugarcoat is a fair word IMO, they do not lie. It just stops people deciding the don't like it before they try it. Hence why 'commission only' job offers get such low hits. Unfortunately all the threads started here about said companies are very slanderous, and many are actually from ex employee's who feel hard done by or others who have no experience in dealing with them but just have a dislike towards them.

The companies under the Appco group do actually offer a fantastic opportunity to anyone willing to give it a shot and not just turn their nose up at it when they here commission. Unfortunately, I believe that anyone who comes on here will never find the full truth about these companies because the majority on here all have issues with it.

Nothing dodgy about these outfits, I never had any issues with them, paid on time every week, always got the amount I earned, never mis-treated, had some great nights out, met some very cool people(one of which I will be opening a company with next week). Its a pity none of the success stories are posted on here. Ah well, all I can do is say give it a try, make up your own minds after a few weeks in the job, what you read here hopefully won't influence your decision, make your own one up after giving it a try

Well Shaggy, my main grievance would be the fact that these companies are so deliberately vague during the 'first interviews' that they offer. If the jobs are so good, why not let the candidates know during this interview instead of dragging them around housing/industrial estates 'observing' door to door salesmen plying their trades on supposed 'second interviews'?

Answer me that Shaggy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

A good read to be had is this thread where a potentially dodgy company was being discussed, the owner of the "company" turned up to defend it in the guise of a regular poster, got busted as being the actual owner, and then got slated from a height for the rest of the thread. Read and learn folks...

scooby2791 wrote: »
    No I do not work for any of those companies, I did previously for awhile but left about 2months ago for personal reasons. Enjoyed my time there thoroughly though, kept an open mind and my wits about me. Despite what many people believe, alot of the stuff your taught does stand to you and is very useful.

Also, any particular reason you have MD within quotations? As if to assume they are not really MD's?

Well the basic assertion would be that I presume these 'companies' to be essentially legalised pyramid schemes, hence my use of quotations surrounding the term MD.

An example as to how the scheme operates (in three crude basic implements) if you please:

Bottom Level : The 'grunt'
    You have no rights, you are an 'independent contractor'. You spend a few weeks in 'training', basically watching some other poor sap try to sell things door to door. Once you've completed your 'training' you may do the same yourself on a 100% commission basis only (do you see how this may be a problem for a lot of jobseekers, the term 'chicken and egg' comes to mind).

Middle Level : The 'MD'
    Right, so you've survived your time as a grunt? Fair play, now you get to exploit the new 'Grunts'. Now you can exploit their meager earnings to supplant your own, of course some of your own earnings goes on up to the 'Upper Echelons'.

Top Level : The 'Upper Echelons'
    Congrats, you're atop the pyramid, lets reap it all in now.

Shaggy, I offer you the right to respond if you care to do.

• Advertisement

psni wrote: »
    A good read to be had is this thread where a potentially dodgy company was being discussed, the owner of the "company" turned up to defend it in the guise of a regular poster, got busted as being the actual owner, and then got slated from a height for the rest of the thread. Read and learn folks...

Excellent read, I'd advise all other users to have a gander.

pithater1 wrote: »
    Well the basic assertion would be that I presume these 'companies' to be essentially legalised pyramid schemes, hence my use of quotations surrounding the term MD.

An example as to how the scheme operates (in three crude basic implements) if you please:

Bottom Level : The 'grunt'
    You have no rights, you are an 'independent contractor'. You spend a few weeks in 'training', basically watching some other poor sap try to sell things door to door. Once you've completed your 'training' you may do the same yourself on a 100% commission basis only (do you see how this may be a problem for a lot of jobseekers, the term 'chicken and egg' comes to mind).

Middle Level : The 'MD'
    Right, so you've survived your time as a grunt? Fair play, now you get to exploit the new 'Grunts'. Now you can exploit their meager earnings to supplant your own, of course some of your own earnings goes on up to the 'Upper Echelons'.

Top Level : The 'Upper Echelons'
    Congrats, you're atop the pyramid, lets reap it all in now.

Shaggy, I offer you the right to respond if you care to do.

'Some other poor sap', You really do have some sort of vendetta against these companies? Firstly under Appco, there is several different divions(Energy,Securities,PayTV) you'll never ever be selling random objects out of a bag within Appco.

The general pyramid is used in pretty much all companies incase you haven't noticed. Come in at entry level, do work to get paid and to make sure the 'upper echelons' get paid. Guy sits atop the company watching you earn him money. Only difference is Appco structure it with commission only. I for one enjoyed working on commission, earned closed to a thousand euro once, was earning in excess of 600euro a week. Commission does suck, eh?

You get to the top of the pyramid, reap larger rewards. Takes a bit of hard work but anyone can do it. Does it really matter? All the people I know who are MD's now only took them about 2years and under - 2 years hard work to be an MD with a company earning roughly around 2,000 + PROFIT each week? Its a great opportunity for those who can work hard, and hey if it doesn't work out, so what? It was an experience and you have learn't alot from it. And right now with the lack of jobs for unqualified and even qualified people, I don't see why you can't just let people give it a shot for awhile to see can succeed or until something better comes along. I don't see the need to go out of your way to put the job down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Scooby... Cut it out. These companies are fundamentally dishonest because they basically lie in their jobs.ie advertisements (I emailed a complaint about one of them to jobs.ie, doubt they did anything about it) They don't tell you that its going to be door to door work until you do the interview and even then they don't tell you that you'll be technically 'self employed'. They are a pyramid scheme as they rely on a fast turnover of staff, few last more than a couple of weeks. Differentiate between a tough job and one that makes a mockery of your intelligence and that strips you of your human dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

psni wrote: »

That's an epic thread. Sometimes I get the feeling the mods are not human.. Like how to earth did you analyse and detect someone like that.

This is t the first time I've seen the mods do something like this.

Epic thread..

I have an interview for inspire marketing. Has anyone heard of it.

Denerick wrote: »
    Scooby... Cut it out. These companies are fundamentally dishonest because they basically lie in their jobs.ie advertisements (I emailed a complaint about one of them to jobs.ie, doubt they did anything about it) They don't tell you that its going to be door to door work until you do the interview and even then they don't tell you that you'll be technically 'self employed'. They are a pyramid scheme as they rely on a fast turnover of staff, few last more than a couple of weeks. Differentiate between a tough job and one that makes a mockery of your intelligence and that strips you of your human dignity.

They do not lie on the adverts. They never say your going to be doing 'x' and end up doing 'y'. They tell you straight away that you are self employed in the interview, I've sat in on interviews for many many new people. The only reason you all dislike these companies is because its commission and/or door to door. Literally every single bloody type of workplace has some sort of pyramid scheme - working in a pub, supermarkets, banks, but no one complains about them because there seen as a higher class of job compared to sales and marketing.
    Differentiate between a tough job and one that makes a mockery of your intelligence and that strips you of your human dignity.

Well thats a bit much? Its a bloody job in which you can earn an awful lot of money for very very easy work, it in no way shape or form strips you of your 'human dignity' or makes a mockery of your intelligence. How did you come to this conclusion?

Now, bear in mind I am only ever speaking about Appco Group sales and marketing companies, I do not have a full understanding how the PerDiem Group works or other independent companies. Not all the companies on jobs.ie are within the Appco Group

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

TI have an interview for inspire marketing. Has anyone heard of it.

Nope , but that means nothing as these places use a plethora of different names.
    Check out their Modus Operandi - that is the key .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

You're right, sales marketing does have a bad reputation, and for all the right reasons. It is whollely deserving of that bad reputation as it champions slimyness as a 'business virtue'; basically deny the facts and truth at all times in order to make a sale at all costs. A truly disgusting line of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 archyrich

pithater1 wrote: »
    I've saw a few threads about these type of companies lately, perhaps it may be an idea to list these companies in this thread to warn those of us who are currently jobseeking and to tell us who to avoid. Perhaps an idea for a stickie mods?

Impala Direct
    Protea Direct
    B & B Direct
    Clearwater Advertising
    D7 Marketing Solutions
    DB Organisation
    ACT Marketing Direct
    ONYX Marketing

Any others feel free to ad, this thread isn't a bashing session for these companies, merely a resource to save people from wasting their time and money.

I have also worked for one of the companies associated with AppCo and had a really positive experience. I'm a student so I don't exactly have many other chances of earning the money I did on the doors. Everyones generally quite young and friendly so it's always good craic and I learnt so much when I was there, between learning how to sell, train and manage people.

It's not the perfect job but its an opportunity and if there's nothing else going for you, you might as well give it a shot and see if you're any good. I know I wouldn't have even applied for the job if I had known it was door2door but I can say I'm glad I did now.

Btw that other thread catching out the MD is pretty funny..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Hi All,

I just wanted to write in an explain about a company called MkM Direct. i have read the previous threads about them and must agree totally. i had gone for an interview with PMD marketing around a year or so ago. needless to say it didnt go very far.

i had looked into MkM marketing before any threads were posted and went in just to Drop a CV in. Funny that the same guy who ran PMD is also running this place from the exact same office, wearing the same suit he had on last year. he didnt remember me and asked if i wanted a chat as i was there so i said ok for the hell of it.

what a load of non-sense, it was the exact same speil as last time, when i said i was on the dole and asked what to do about comming off it i was told that as i would be down as self employed he had no concern about if i came off it or not. what kind of employer would neglect to say that you must come off the dole???

anyway i just wanted to put the word out there, the website make look nice and official but it is the EXACT same company as before, even has a few familiar faces in the office who are still doing the same job a year later, even though we were told we should be running an office inside a year.

thanks all

Tis a true post, if these companies were so proud of how they do business why do they hide behind lies and promises. company owners telling you how they earn well over a hundred grand or more a year.

another dodgy company is XL marketing from kilkenny. i have had loads of people from this call to my door looking to sell airtricity, even though i had signed up a year ago. they just seem to decend on an estate an call to everyone, i must get 3 calls a month. if they were such a professional company surely they should have a data monitoring system which would show exisiting customers at the least.

thanks

You're right, sales marketing does have a bad reputation, and for all the right reasons. It is whollely deserving of that bad reputation as it champions slimyness as a 'business virtue'; basically deny the facts and truth at all times in order to make a sale at all costs. A truly disgusting line of work.

Where does all of your information come from may I ask? 'Deny the facts'? Please elaborate. Not once was I mislead by Appco, or anyone I worked with, nor did I ever witness and lying to customers, new people or within interviews. Everything was above board each day at all times, Appco are very strict when it comes to crossing the line with regards to unprofessionalism and lying. I have seen entire companies shut down by them for such things aswel as witnessing staff being let go for lying, setting bad examples and acting unprofessionally.

Appco have strived to create a better persona about sales marketing. Unless you have direct evidence from within an Appco company, you are simply a sheep, listening to others and forming your opinion by what they say.

I have only had experience in Appco, so if anyone has had bad experiences with a PerDiem outfit or anyone outside of Appco fair enough. But don't tar them all with the same brush

This is the last you will hear from me with regards to this topic as I feel I have said what I have needed to say and I know what Appco is like so thats good enough for me at this point. Later haters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

A lot of the criticism would go away if the marketing companies put "commission only" in their adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stupidface

think its a bit **** that you are naming companies that are creating jobs, and giving people a genuine chance to make some good money just cos you dont get it

I have been in some of these companies and ive never been lied to, had stuff sugar coated or had the wool pulled over my eyes. was told how to make sales, how to train others. i was shown how much the office makes and where they have to spend money.

in the first interview i was told what they sold and how they done it. i was then interviewed.

the second interview i went on an obsevation day. they do this to see if its right for the company and the person selling for example why would a company waste their time because someone is moaning cos their feet are sore from walking.

Ive been in sales for awhile now and i wouldnt be in a job now if these companies hadnt given me a chance and an opportunity to learn a new skill... look at any other the sales job and it will say that at least 2 or 3 years sales experience required... these companies just look for good people that they can teach sales to. if its not for you then then do something else but dont force your negative attitudes on others just because you dont get it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

stupidface wrote: »
    think its a bit **** that you are naming companies that are creating jobs, and giving people a genuine chance to make some good money just cos you dont get it

But they're not creating jobs, the people going door to door are self employed. And they're certainly not genuine.

Are they ccommissioned based only.

Because in some of the ads on jobs.ie, they say €300 per week or something

Is this one of their lies?

• Advertisement

Do any of these companies provide a basic weekly wage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

Do any of these companies provide a basic weekly wage ?
    A lot of them are commision only.

I would have thought they were ALL commission only ?

Has anyone worked for field management Ireland. They've got loads if riles including sales.

They pay 8 -13 per hour including commission.

Hi Guys, and especially scooby.

i have also had experiance both working for these types of companies and seeing how they operate. when i did my interviews you were told half truths,and a good few lies. yes there were upfront about the fact you would be on commision, but as to how that works eg tax and welfare and such you were not told at any stage. also the commisions only works if the entire sale goes through, a customer can still cancel and order days after and you get nothing for your trouble.
    there is also a lot of information left unanswered in when you are given your product. you could not leave any info with customers or could not give any factual answers as you are told to avoid them with side leading questions and very hard line sales designed to really push consumers.

also from the other side of the fence we have employed in my current role a direct marketing company for a product launch, but removed them very quickley due to complaints from customers. these mainly centered on very young and in-experianced staff who knew little to nothing about the product and were very evasive to answering questions. there were other issues regarding employee insurance and tax that i will not go into.

all in all some companies may have genuine jobs, and listen up scooby, but they do hide a lot of information from you in the hopes that you will come on board with half notions of what to expect and how much you can earn. many people who said they would make 500+ a week were often signing on and were always asking for petrol money etc fro the new commers.

regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GOB_Bluth

I went for an interview with them to in Limerick. I hadn't seen any of these threads about them so I was looking for ward to it. I bearly said a word the whole interview he just rambled on about what they do and how it will take me 6-10 months to be running my own office etc. I was thinking what was the catch and why isn't he telling me what I will be actually doing??

I left after the interview and they rang me and 6 that evening and asked me to come back for my "second interview" the next day from 12:30 - 8:00. The ****?? nearly 8 hours!!

I was actually looking forward to it but then I came on here and everything people were saying started to make sense. I'm not 100% sure if they wanted me to door to door because I never went back but by looking in here i'm almost poitive!!

So I had my interview with one marketing company today.

I will be told if i get the job in 3 days time.

I spoke to a guy before hand and he said it was a basic wage of 10e per hour plus commission which was clarified by my interviewer.

I will see how it goes and I will keep you posted.

I actually went for two interviews today. The other was for a shop.

So I had my interview with one marketing company today.

I will be told if i get the job in 3 days time.

I spoke to a guy before hand and he said it was a basic wage of 10e per hour plus commission which was clarified by my interviewer.

I will see how it goes and I will keep you posted.

I actually went for two interviews today. The other was for a shop.

Basic of 10e per hour plus commission has me tempted to post my picture of flying pigs but I'll hold off for now.
    I would be fascinated to hear if that promise is met.........

Delancey wrote: »
    Basic of 10e per hour plus commission has me tempted to post my picture of flying pigs but I'll hold off for now.
    I would be fascinated to hear if that promise is met.........

For some reason I kind if believe them.
    Like the guy I spoke to I knew him but not that well, I only knew he was working there when I saw him at the Luas, We got the same tram together.

So he told me what they basically do plus their targets.

In fairness most marketing companies are commissioned based. A few aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MkM Direct

GOB_Bluth wrote: »
    I went for an interview with them to in Limerick. I hadn't seen any of these threads about them so I was looking for ward to it. I bearly said a word the whole interview he just rambled on about what they do and how it will take me 6-10 months to be running my own office etc. I was thinking what was the catch and why isn't he telling me what I will be actually doing??

I left after the interview and they rang me and 6 that evening and asked me to come back for my "second interview" the next day from 12:30 - 8:00. The ****?? nearly 8 hours!!

I was actually looking forward to it but then I came on here and everything people were saying started to make sense. I'm not 100% sure if they wanted me to door to door because I never went back but by looking in here i'm almost poitive!!
    Hi GOB_Bluth
    I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for not making it clear that the entry stages are field sales based, and that the particular client was for a residential, direct sales door to door campaign, however we do also represent clients for Business to Business and Event campaigns but all begin at entry level field sales.
    The second interview consists of an evaluation of the candidate, and it is where the candidate gets to see exactly what to expect on a daily basis. So they can see if its for them and as a company we can see if they are right for the role.
    It is possible to get through to the management stages in a 6 to 10 month period, but it is criteria based, both on sales targets and training targets, it is hard work but as a company we do put a lot of time into coaching and helping people to make sure they have all the information they need to progress.

As a closing point i would like to say that direct sales is not for everybody, it is hard work, that is why we have a full day interview for the second round, so people can see if its something for them, again i would like to apologize if it was not made clear for you.
    If you would like more information or have any other questions you can mail us directly at <removed>

Advertisement