Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The door-to-door / commission-only jobs thread (super dooper mega merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

ladder wrote: »
    not every post is true on these threads here is an example of that.

I would like to say that there are so many of these posts that are true, i own a company and i can confirm that i came through the field, when i did it was hard work and most weeks i did earn between 400 and 500 per week, and some weeks i didnt.
    If you are reading this and are just looking for a job then, these positions are not for you, if you are looking for something that you can make money in then maybe its for you but be warned its not easy, its hard work and direct sales is not for everyone, it takes a few weeks to learn how to sell direct face to face if you have never done it before, and there is alot of rejection. If you are looking for a career in sales and want to run your own company then this is again, only maybe for you, it is 100% commission based and you are self employed, there is no basic salary at any stage, running your own company means you only get paid for the results you get.

I also have experience of working with one of these companies. I could copy bods post earlier and pass it off as my own it was that similar an experience.

I think at this stage, a lot more people have an idea of what they may be letting themselves in for.

Ladder, a lot of posters here, myself included have a problem with how you go about recruiting staff, rather than what the job actually entails. Why can't you be a little bit more honest in the adverts? Why hide behind the flash suits at the interview, instead of telling people what is actually involved?

On your website mkmdirect.ie, in the careers section, there is absolutely no reference to any kind of sales. You try to pass yourself off as a marketing company.

How can anyone get any inkling that they will be going door to door by reading a statement like this:
    When the economy is slow our clients are looking for a successful but also cost-effective marketing approach that will immediately guarantee new customers. When the economy is booming our clients are expanding on a national scale.
    As our client base expands, the need for new managers becomes essential. Therefore, we are looking for individuals who possess the capability to manage clients as well as individuals on a one-on-one basis.

Why can't you be a little bit more honest, instead of wasting peoples time?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sales / marketing types excel at saying as little as possible while using as many (preferably buzzword compliant) words as possible, so there's no reason why their job ads would be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ladder

I also have experience of working with one of these companies. I could copy bods post earlier and pass it off as my own it was that similar an experience.

I think at this stage, a lot more people have an idea of what they may be letting themselves in for.

Ladder, a lot of posters here, myself included have a problem with how you go about recruiting staff, rather than what the job actually entails. Why can't you be a little bit more honest in the adverts? Why hide behind the flash suits at the interview, instead of telling people what is actually involved?

On your website mkmdirect.ie, in the careers section, there is absolutely no reference to any kind of sales. You try to pass yourself off as a marketing company.

How can anyone get any inkling that they will be going door to door by reading a statement like this:

Why can't you be a little bit more honest, instead of wasting peoples time?

i agree completely with you, alot of ads and sites need to be more clear, and if you read the full site, there is no smoke screens, i do tell everyone at the interview that it is either going b2b or d2d i also tell people it is not office based that it is face to face sales to begin with.
    i can really only speak for myself when i say i am trying to move away from what i was taught to do as a new manager, by giving the smoke screen stuff, i dont tell people about how much money i make personaly, simply because its none of their business, getting back to the point from the site you took a snip of what it says, and there is also a link to the job site which we advertise on, and if thats not clear enough to what we do i tell people in the interview.
    here is where the snip was taken from off the site
    We appreciate talent. We respect hard work. We understand and support our people. And we pride ourselves on being candid. Our lines of communication are always open, resulting in the enhanced value of our company. The proof of which is in both our client satisfaction, and in the significant career growth opportunity for our team.

MkM Direct follows the philosophy of putting people first, with 100% promotion from within, and no seniority. Every person in our organization starts off at the entry-level position regardless of degrees or experience to insure that the associate will learn all aspects of our company. Associates are promoted through our program based on three factors: work ethic, ability to manage people and clients, and aptitude for learning.
    Many companies are adversely affected by the economy. MkM Direct, however, has never had a quarter where we have not grown, nor have we ever been forced to downsize. When the economy is slow our clients are looking for a successful but also cost-effective marketing approach that will immediately guarantee new customers. When the economy is booming our clients are expanding on a national scale.
    As our client base expands, the need for new managers becomes essential. Therefore, we are looking for individuals who possess the capability to manage clients as well as individuals on a one-on-one basis.

the site and description of what we do on our jobs site also state it is face to face direct sales, out sourced.
    if you have anymore questions please just ask i am more than happy to answer any questions, as long as they are questions, i will not respond to attacking remarks, i have been in this business for 2 years and will share information with you.

Delancey wrote: »
    I know I've said it before but these outfits seem to be able to procure a steady stream of ' cannon fodder ' . Some people seem blissfully unaware of what they get themselves into.

cannon fodder ??
    I think thats an unfair term to use, i know severl people that have from experience gained in direct sales, have gone on to careers in sales, both within the companies and other channels, recruitment consultancy, supervisory roles in retail sales, telcom in store sales etc, who had no experience before they started, im sure they would not like to be known as "cannon fodder"

i agree completely with you, alot of ads and sites need to be more clear, and if you read the full site, there is no smoke screens, i do tell everyone at the interview that it is either going b2b or d2d i also tell people it is not office based that it is face to face sales to begin with.
    i can really only speak for myself when i say i am trying to move away from what i was taught to do as a new manager, by giving the smoke screen stuff, i dont tell people about how much money i make personaly, simply because its none of their business, getting back to the point from the site you took a snip of what it says, and there is also a link to the job site which we advertise on, and if thats not clear enough to what we do i tell people in the interview.
    here is where the snip was taken from off the site
    We appreciate talent. We respect hard work. We understand and support our people. And we pride ourselves on being candid. Our lines of communication are always open, resulting in the enhanced value of our company. The proof of which is in both our client satisfaction, and in the significant career growth opportunity for our team.

MkM Direct follows the philosophy of putting people first, with 100% promotion from within, and no seniority. Every person in our organization starts off at the entry-level position regardless of degrees or experience to insure that the associate will learn all aspects of our company. Associates are promoted through our program based on three factors: work ethic, ability to manage people and clients, and aptitude for learning.
    Many companies are adversely affected by the economy. MkM Direct, however, has never had a quarter where we have not grown, nor have we ever been forced to downsize. When the economy is slow our clients are looking for a successful but also cost-effective marketing approach that will immediately guarantee new customers. When the economy is booming our clients are expanding on a national scale.

the site and description of what we do on our jobs site also state it is face to face direct sales, out sourced.
    if you have anymore questions please just ask i am more than happy to answer any questions, as long as they are questions, i will not respond to attacking remarks, i have been in this business for 2 years and will share information with you.

Yes, I was quite selective with what I quoted, as the piece quoted was very distinctly giving the impression that it was a marketing set up. It probably is a form of marketing, as you are getiing whatever you sell out in peoples faces. But that page doesn't mention anything about what the job entails. It fluffs it up a bit and makes it look pretty.

In fairness, you do mention face to face sales etc. in the job advert. However, it gives absolutely no idea of what it may involve. This is how you describe the company:
    Job Advert wrote:
    Our key business areas are face to face sales and Marketing through business to business, business to consumer and event campaigns.

Its pretty vague isn't it? Mr Whippy going around in his ice cream van does face to face sales and I suppose you could pass his ice cream van off as a marketing machine, considering it will have a few logos and a shop window on the side.

It tells you you'll need to be a team player, have good communications and any other buzz words that can be fitted in.

But, why can't you say what the job is? Why waste peoples time if they think they wont be up to it? You say earlier that a lot of people aren't suited to the roles. Then, how does everybody get past the interview stage? Why cant you let people decide for themselves at the application point instead of dragging them around for a few days, and maybe getting a couple of sales at their expense?

What does the "business to business" aspect of the company involve? Would also be interested in hearing a little about the "event campaigns". Maybe there's more to your particular business that I am not accounting for.. but, all I can see is that "smoke screen" you insist you dont hide behind.

• Advertisement

Hi Elviscostello,
    B2B is in this case would be calling to businesses normally representing either telcoms or energy suppliers, events in my case is for promotions and is not commission based its for promotions of cosmetics but only 2 to 3 days per week where people are casual workers still independant or self employed but get paid for the days work, it does not involve sales its presentations and giving out free samples etc, and well D2D is residential sales calling to peoples homes.
    the job ads are not specific sales door to door etc because i recruit for all 3 and then in the interview stage would pick which the person is most suited to, there is also the progression that goes with the field sales, i started out on D2D and made it, and i have promoted 2 people who now run their own divisions, not everyone makes it through the interview process, and if they are invited back for a second interview they know exactly what the day is for, but i do tell everyone its field sales to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

What an interesting day. I was on the forks doing some promotions, actually I was completing my training.

And I saw guys from sky+ and they told come work for us.

With one sale you make €100.

It was tempting but i reasoned that the €100 covers commission plus basic.

Realistically you're meant to make 2 - 3 sales a day.

Door to door work is a pain in the ass.
    I've the house at 10:40 and I'm getting in at 10:50.

I guess this is the job one results to when there are no jobs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭AceHi

Thanks to everyone who has give info on this thread. I have recently finished college and was thrilled to have got an interview with Elite Marketing. The interview is tomorrow and I am delighted I have read these posts first. These companies are definitely scams, they are costing job seekers time and money (travelling to interview, "training week" ie. unpaid weeks work ) and from the sounds of the threads about what the potential customers think of the door to door sales persons techniques, they are probably even costing their clients custom (I refer to a post regarding a man who actually left Eircom altogether after a bad experience with a person trying to sell phone watch). Furthermore their aggressive techniques appear to be suspect under consumer protection legislation. To say that these companies websites sugar-coat what the work entails would be a lie in itself, even the skeptic would believe that the extent of "promoting clients" would be perhaps upselling a product via a telephone from an office. I myself was directly misled by being told I would be involved in customer service and when I asked what exactly that entailed I got some ten minute rant about something totally unrelated, obviously a not so good distraction technique the recruitment manager learned from her days on the field. When I asked if payment was solely commission based I was told it was uncapped earnings, and that last weeks new comer earned 1950 in 9 days! Likely. And for the companies that actually say at the interview stage that the job does in fact involve selling door to door, is this not a bit late to say what the actual activities of the job include? People have already dropped plans etc to go to some interview they have been lured into on false pretences. If the job is not so terrible why not disclose what exactly it is at the start? And anyone that says you will earn 600+ p/w door to door selling during this economic climate has to be crazy. I also feel sorry for the people who get hassled by these sales people who no doubt become desperate and pushy to make a sale when they are probably actually in debt from taking the job. No doubt the majority of people who buy these products are lonely people who are actually grateful for the company of the sales person or the kind hearted who buy out of pity for the sales person. These companies are definitely scammers, to everyone involved. Thanks for all the informative posts which have confirmed my suspicions and have saved me and hopefully others their valuable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I could create a commission only sales job if I wanted to, I assume most sales companies could.

Is there an environment where commission only sales is seen as a positive opportunity ?

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I could create a commission only sales job if I wanted to, I assume most sales companies could.

Is there an environment where commission only sales is seen as a positive opportunity ?

of course there is, infact most sales jobs are commission based one way or the other, alot of companies offer low basic salary with commission but then have a target that must be hit and are pretty ruthless about targets, commission only is a different ball game no sale no cost, and alot of companies are looking to go down this road because of the economy, as its a win only situation for them. Like everything in life there are positives and negitives, i stand by what ive always said, sales is just not for everyone, it takes alot to sell, it takes even more to sell on commission only.

• Advertisement

What an interesting day. I was on the forks doing some promotions, actually I was completing my training.

And I saw guys from sky+ and they told come work for us.

With one sale you make €100.

It was tempting but i reasoned that the €100 covers commission plus basic.

Realistically you're meant to make 2 - 3 sales a day.

Door to door work is a pain in the ass.
    I've the house at 10:40 and I'm getting in at 10:50.

I guess this is the job one results to when there are no jobs!!!

Hi are you working D2D sales at the moment ???
    just thought id say i have friends working for sky and they have a basic but only 1 or 2 of the 5 i know make over 450 a week, its min wage plus commission target 3 per day or 15 per week for min wage after that its commission for sales, to get up to the 450 from what they told me you need to do 20 sales, not impossible but still hard to hit, so all in all not a bad job if you can get your head around the D2D aspect.

AceHi wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who has give info on this thread. I have recently finished college and was thrilled to have got an interview with Elite Marketing. The interview is tomorrow and I am delighted I have read these posts first. These companies are definitely scams, they are costing job seekers time and money (travelling to interview, "training week" ie. unpaid weeks work ) and from the sounds of the threads about what the potential customers think of the door to door sales persons techniques, they are probably even costing their clients custom (I refer to a post regarding a man who actually left Eircom altogether after a bad experience with a person trying to sell phone watch). Furthermore their aggressive techniques appear to be suspect under consumer protection legislation. To say that these companies websites sugar-coat what the work entails would be a lie in itself, even the skeptic would believe that the extent of "promoting clients" would be perhaps upselling a product via a telephone from an office. I myself was directly misled by being told I would be involved in customer service and when I asked what exactly that entailed I got some ten minute rant about something totally unrelated, obviously a not so good distraction technique the recruitment manager learned from her days on the field. When I asked if payment was solely commission based I was told it was uncapped earnings, and that last weeks new comer earned 1950 in 9 days! Likely. And for the companies that actually say at the interview stage that the job does in fact involve selling door to door, is this not a bit late to say what the actual activities of the job include? People have already dropped plans etc to go to some interview they have been lured into on false pretences. If the job is not so terrible why not disclose what exactly it is at the start? And anyone that says you will earn 600+ p/w door to door selling during this economic climate has to be crazy. I also feel sorry for the people who get hassled by these sales people who no doubt become desperate and pushy to make a sale when they are probably actually in debt from taking the job. No doubt the majority of people who buy these products are lonely people who are actually grateful for the company of the sales person or the kind hearted who buy out of pity for the sales person. These companies are definitely scammers, to everyone involved. Thanks for all the informative posts which have confirmed my suspicions and have saved me and hopefully others their valuable time.

just read the careers part on the web-site of the company you mentioned and it says field representative, i mean its fairy clear what it is, i do agree with you on the telling you how much money someone made last week, its possible but i run a company like this and im going to say that was one hell of a week !! and here lies the problem where the company in fairness did say its field sales in their careers section, they tried to sell you the position, and its not really their fault either its a sales thing its how managers are trained, so im going to say you must have been a good interview and sold yourself well, on the up side, you have got some interview experience out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

I just want to say fair play to Ladder for answering this thread. In the 2-and-a-bit years I've worked with Boards.ie, he's the only Direct Marketing Company to respond to a thread, so kudos for that...

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

I feel the need to get involved as these companies are something I detest. Its disgusting.

One simple way to know is when checking the companies website see what its more worried about selling their service or hiring people. If its hiring people then it makes no sense! Does anyone really think in a economy like this people are hiring like that!

My cousin was destroyed by them. I believe they can brainwash naive people into thinking they are gonna make it and just to be patient. They were using his car, not paying him and over working him. But still he stuck up for them until my Aunt begged him to stop. They use buzzwords and ****e to suck people in. Its just horrible.

Every day people reckon they are going to hit the big time and instead are being used for this horrible scam. I went for an interview 2 years ago and looking back it kills me to think of some of the people there. Married men that had clearly been let go and thinking this was their way back. Horrible.

I don't care what anyone says here they are sick scams benefiting very few. I hate to say it but anyone on here backing them up is most likely is or has been involved and can't see past the bull.

of course there is, infact most sales jobs are commission based one way or the other, alot of companies offer low basic salary with commission but then have a target that must be hit and are pretty ruthless about targets, commission only is a different ball game no sale no cost, and alot of companies are looking to go down this road because of the economy, as its a win only situation for them. Like everything in life there are positives and negitives, i stand by what ive always said, sales is just not for everyone, it takes alot to sell, it takes even more to sell on commission only.

Exactly, however solely commission based in this climate is a bit too close to exploitation for my liking and it would also be maybe more acceptable if the job adverts actually said it was door to door selling, rather than filling people with empty promises about promotions to manager etc at the interview, so people could actually make an informed decision about whether they want to take the job or not.

just read the careers part on the web-site of the company you mentioned and it says field representative, i mean its fairy clear what it is, i do agree with you on the telling you how much money someone made last week, its possible but i run a company like this and im going to say that was one hell of a week !! and here lies the problem where the company in fairness did say its field sales in their careers section, they tried to sell you the position, and its not really their fault either its a sales thing its how managers are trained, so im going to say you must have been a good interview and sold yourself well, on the up side, you have got some interview experience out of it.

However I was told I was being interviewed for a customer service position. Didn't sound like door to door selling to me. But of course everyone starts on the field. I do not have a problem with these jobs, I have a problem with the indirect sales jargon you hear when you enquire about salary etc. They should just be more upfront. At the end of the day their people is their product and like every business they are trying to keep costs down. I would just have liked to know what it really entailed as I would not be good at door to door selling. I have had many interviews and it is not worth my money or time to get "interview experience" for a job I am not interested in. I appreciate your comments and as I said it is not the jobs I have a problem with, its the misleading of people, why not just get people in who want and would suit this kind of job.

Exactly, however solely commission based in this climate is a bit too close to exploitation for my liking and it would also be maybe more acceptable if the job adverts actually said it was door to door selling, rather than filling people with empty promises about promotions to manager etc at the interview, so people could actually make an informed decision about whether they want to take the job or not.

again thats where the problem is the promise of management, and thats why i started in this business, i knew it was commission and door to door from the interview, i guess maybe im different i did the field sales and made it (living proof it can be done) not saying its easy but it can be done.
    My point is and always is some companies do over promote the progression, but its down to training. if you are taught 2+2=5 you wouldnt know any different so you would just think its right.
    one of the reasons im on here to change what i do, learning from the mistakes of others, and myself to make it better.

However I was told I was being interviewed for a customer service position. Didn't sound like door to door selling to me. But of course everyone starts on the field. I do not have a problem with these jobs, I have a problem with the indirect sales jargon you hear when you enquire about salary etc. They should just be more upfront. At the end of the day their people is their product and like every business they are trying to keep costs down. I would just have liked to know what it really entailed as I would not be good at door to door selling. I have had many interviews and it is not worth my money or time to get "interview experience" for a job I am not interested in. I appreciate your comments and as I said it is not the jobs I have a problem with, its the misleading of people, why not just get people in who want and would suit this kind of job.

ah the old customer service role ......agreed very misleading
    tip toe around saying its commission is wrong to i just tell everyone its easier using words like performance based etc just makes managers and owners look like bad in the interview, again i learned this the hard way.
    as for the interview experience if you learned something from it then it a good thing.

Thanks for your replies ladder. Would you not consider adding some of the detail that you have given here about how the company works, to the website that I was quoting? Like I said earlier, one of my big problems is the fact that it's all hidden behind fancy words.

Thanks for your replies ladder. Would you not consider adding some of the detail that you have given here about how the company works, to the website that I was quoting? Like I said earlier, one of my big problems is the fact that it's all hidden behind fancy words.

im actually doing that right now, a big part of the site is for clients rather than people applying for positions, and alot of that might seem like jargan but it makes perfect sense to the clients.
    i do agree my careers section needs some attention, and im changing that.
    thanks for the feed back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 gorrillafrier

Having read this thread im sorry i didnt come across it 3 weeks ago when i went for interview for one of these jobs. I'm only a student and i was looking for a summer job and i was offered an interview.

The first peculiar thing that happened was at the interview, I wasn't really asked any questions but just told about how much money you could make and how the the managing director owns everything and I wasn't even told what the job entailed.
    I went back the following Monday for training and it involved learning about the product (Sky) and then been told basically how to worm your way into a customers house and seal the deal more or less.
    I found this slightly irritating as I didnt want to be a pushy sales person or taking advantage of anyone or basically using bad manners to con a customer.
    I wasn't even provided with all the true facts as when I looked up some of the facts regarding the digital switchover etc. I found out that I was basically been told a pack a lies and I was been told to tell customers these unknown to me.

When I went on to the field I was left to my own resources in an estate with little knowledge or training and told to get into as many houses as possible and that would eventually lead to sales.
    As expected the majority (<80%) of houses already had Sky Tv and it was like selling snow to the eskimoes imho. I was then told that my selling was probably not good enough when I told my manager that the estates had mostly got Sky and in many cases were understandably incensed about been pestered every month or so about getting more Sky.

At this stage I was out of pocket to the tune of 200 euro including Fuel expenses and food and clothes expenses etc. and was yet to make a sale. As i was a student I had not much else to be at so didn't give up hope but after two weeks of no sale and no propsect of a sale I quit.
    I dont regret it though as it gave me a good experience and motivation for my studies and tbh the fun was good enough sometimes but fun wasn't going to pay bills for me.

In hindsight I learned that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is and in this case it definitely was.

Gorrillafrier, that experience sounds terrible, fortunately I read these posts in time! At least u learned something from it-stay in school! :P

Ladder, as others have said your feedback is appreciated and you do seem to try let people know what they're getting themselves into and you're taking the feedback here on board. It's a pity that some of the others that run these companies are not the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Keeb

I really hate when people are so negative about life and opportunities. First of all, I joined this site to share my knowledge of these companies to try and HELP people. However, I was told off for having a positive outlook!!!! and accused of working for the companies and trying to promote them when I clearly stated that I had just gone for interviews. What a nice way to welcome someone to boards.ie. Secondly as I have said I am just a student looking for summer work. I have tried elsewhere but jobs are pretty skint at the moment so indeed, this type of job is a last resort for most people. Nevertheless, I am just back from a training day with one of these companies and I am utterly shocked at the nerve of some people on this site. Direct marketing (door to door) costs a lot less for the client (sky, eircom etc) than indirect marketing (advertising on billboards etc). It is so cheap for the client because yes we all know it's commission based. It is also a more effective way of advertising for them as the customer can ask questions and it is a lot more personal than just an add on tv that could cost thousands! From the training today we were told all about the product and the pitch for how to sell it. It was STRESSED that we are NOT to be pushy or to scam anyone into buying the products or service as they will ultimatly be unhappy with it if they did not wish to sign up in the first place and if they are unhappy, they will give the company a bad name. We were simply told to only sell it to the people who are interested. We can sell it to people door to door at a cheaper rate than otherwise because field representatives (door to door callers) bring a lot of custom to the clients. Yes, we were told ways of helping the customer warm to you but these were not sneaky ways of tricking them into buying the product. For example; if you were about to drive to the airport with your wife or husband and said "hunny go on the m50 cause it'll be quicker that way, they'll be way too much traffic in town". Or if you said "hunny Mark was driving to the airport last week and he said he saved a lot of time going by the motorway cause there was less traffic. He thinks we should go that way". Which is better? The second. The first was too aggresive, the second said the same thing in a less aggresive way by adding a third party. We were taught simple tips like this to get favourable responses from people but these skills can be used everywhere they are not sneaky tricks! If the person is not interested, the field rep will not waste their time in trying to convince them as it is wasting both persons time! These companies get far too much stick for being dishonest and it is unfair. This type of job is a great opportunity for those who are suited to it. A inherently lazy, pessimistic person would not do well in this field as the customer does not want to meet these type of people at their door, no one does! For people who are willing to put the work in and have a positive outlook towards it can do very well. Having this attitude is contagious and people will like you just form meeting you at the door and hear what you have to say. Ambitious people keep aiming to make more sales and hence can earn a lot of money in this type of job. I think it's pretty clear how some people can do well in it and earn loads. But it is not suited to everyone and not everyone who tries it will like this type of job. I could rant on for ages about it but I think I have made my point. And I realise I will most likely be critiscised again for my optimistic outlook and accused of working for the companies but all I can say is I am a 20 year old student experiencing all of this for the first time. I have not started yet so I may have a different opinion afterwards but from what I have expereinced, these companies and jobs aren't half as bad as they're made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Keeb wrote: »
    I really hate when people are so negative about life and opportunities. First of all, I joined this site to share my knowledge of these companies to try and HELP people. However, I was told off for having a positive outlook!!!! and accused of working for the companies and trying to promote them when I clearly stated that I had just gone for interviews. What a nice way to welcome someone to boards.ie. Secondly as I have said I am just a student looking for summer work. I have tried elsewhere but jobs are pretty skint at the moment so indeed, this type of job is a last resort for most people. Nevertheless, I am just back from a training day with one of these companies and I am utterly shocked at the nerve of some people on this site. Direct marketing (door to door) costs a lot less for the client (sky, eircom etc) than indirect marketing (advertising on billboards etc). It is so cheap for the client because yes we all know it's commission based. It is also a more effective way of advertising for them as the customer can ask questions and it is a lot more personal than just an add on tv that could cost thousands! From the training today we were told all about the product and the pitch for how to sell it. It was STRESSED that we are NOT to be pushy or to scam anyone into buying the products or service as they will ultimatly be unhappy with it if they did not wish to sign up in the first place and if they are unhappy, they will give the company a bad name. We were simply told to only sell it to the people who are interested. We can sell it to people door to door at a cheaper rate than otherwise because field representatives (door to door callers) bring a lot of custom to the clients. Yes, we were told ways of helping the customer warm to you but these were not sneaky ways of tricking them into buying the product. For example; if you were about to drive to the airport with your wife or husband and said "hunny go on the m50 cause it'll be quicker that way, they'll be way too much traffic in town". Or if you said "hunny Mark was driving to the airport last week and he said he saved a lot of time going by the motorway cause there was less traffic. He thinks we should go that way". Which is better? The second. The first was too aggresive, the second said the same thing in a less aggresive way by adding a third party. We were taught simple tips like this to get favourable responses from people but these skills can be used everywhere they are not sneaky tricks! If the person is not interested, the field rep will not waste their time in trying to convince them as it is wasting both persons time! These companies get far too much stick for being dishonest and it is unfair. This type of job is a great opportunity for those who are suited to it. A inherently lazy, pessimistic person would not do well in this field as the customer does not want to meet these type of people at their door, no one does! For people who are willing to put the work in and have a positive outlook towards it can do very well. Having this attitude is contagious and people will like you just form meeting you at the door and hear what you have to say. Ambitious people keep aiming to make more sales and hence can earn a lot of money in this type of job. I think it's pretty clear how some people can do well in it and earn loads. But it is not suited to everyone and not everyone who tries it will like this type of job. I could rant on for ages about it but I think I have made my point. And I realise I will most likely be critiscised again for my optimistic outlook and accused of working for the companies but all I can say is I am a 20 year old student experiencing all of this for the first time. I have not started yet so I may have a different opinion afterwards but from what I have expereinced, these companies and jobs aren't half as bad as they're made out to be.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,309 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Lol

I am going to start a boards project to get that post the most thanks ever! Sums up my own thoughts perfectly.

Keeb wrote: »

Hi Keeb
    what division are you working on ??
    i can see your point about some of the negitive posts and about being new, there are so many people who have had bad experiences working in direct sale because they were not told or taught the basics of sales, and without the correct training in sales its a bit like trying to swim without water, having a positive attitude or outlook is a great asset to have and i wish you well on your path within the sales industry for the summer, but take it from someone with a vast knowledge of this industry, its great when your selling and making money but there is alot of no's at the door and it can be heart breaking, my advise is spend as much time as you can with the top sellers and managers see how they do it and just copy them, share your good days and more importantly your bad, be humble and ask for the help when you have bad days, dont just have the attitude of it will be better tomorrow !
    Best of luck and if you ever need advise on it just message me

Darragh wrote: »
    I just want to say fair play to Ladder for answering this thread. In the 2-and-a-bit years I've worked with Boards.ie, he's the only Direct Marketing Company to respond to a thread, so kudos for that...

Darragh

Thanks Darragh,
    I am really learning alot from the posts and people on the threads and can see where changes can most definitely be made in the industry, to make it a better place, and as an owner in direct sales it is my suggestion that more managers/owners come on and give their opinions.
    Thanks again

Lads enough of this bulsh1t.
    If you can't sell you can'i sell.

Look a good sales must be chatty.

you do not use the business approch, make anyone you are talking to fell special.

Be honest to them.

I've just started doing a sales job and its puts me outside my comfort zone.

commission based sales should be scrapped off entirely, BUT a good sales man get the sales either on commission or not.

Look were i work for Guys hit their target in a DAY to a WEEK.

Not all have do this, some have bad days like me, but you learn.

Selling is not for everyone tats why there are training and observation days.

Most of you boardsies complaining that ads are misleading if the ads were straight up and you applied and got the job you wont make any sales because you're negative.

sales is the only job out there.

its better than doing nothing.

make anyone you are talking to fell special.
    Be honest to them.

So all these people are honestly special to you? Strange.

• Advertisement

So all these people are honestly special to you? Strange.

That makes no sense rephrase your point.

And don't be putting words into my mouth basically I was implying that a good sales man makes a connection with whomever he sees at the door. If they're having a bad day make a smile, at that moment in time it's your job to lift their mood up.

if you think sales is 100% business you're wrong intact it's just 30%.

I've done this for a work and it's as if i've been doing this for a year.

Advertisement