Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...for President!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

flash1080 wrote: »
    Bertie helped bring about the good times, having him involved in anyway is vital to our recovery.

L.M.F.A.O.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I would opine that that would be the limit of Higgins' ambitions

I would opine that he would be the only one who wouldn't take a big scuttery ****e, you know the ones flutt, that get a bit of sweetcorn stuck in them, after a big curry, on the graves of Connolly, Pearse and Collins while trying to be funny while they wipe their dingleberry clad flatulent fat chocolate factories on what some of us know as the Proclamation of Independence.

Or am I talking ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sykk wrote: »
    So what exactly does the president of this country do anyway? Besides live off of our taxes?
    Effectively, nothing. It was a position created by Dev during treaty negotiations to be a counterbalance signatory to the British Monarch.

Therefore it's a non-executive presidential position and possibly a unique example in modern constitutional democratic republics. For all intents and purposes the position is our 'King' or 'Queen'.

We can't afford this political frippery of a bauble any more. It should be abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mowhawk

To Morlar:

Declan Ganley might get to be president when Donegal becomes an independent state. He got his answer from the rest of Ireland in the last referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

We need a black president if we wanna be cool like usa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

A president who takes a breath after every 50 words, it would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Taking this on a serious note: he'd get my vote. He'd be the best candidate (i.e: the one which would do the least harm) and is an excellent orator to represent the nation both at home and abroad.

Out of the declared candidates so far, even though its year away, I'm stuck with either David Norris or Michael D. Higgins. So much for choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

He'd get my vote : a gentleman and a great Irishman.

I don't think he would run for office : more's the pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

flahavaj wrote: »
    He commentates on his last All ireland final this Sunday.I think its a no-brainer to make him president. He stands for everything that is good and great about being Irish. All political parties should unite as one and put him forward as the sole candidate.

How about using your brain for your next suggestion for the presidency?

I have nothing against him as a person. But president material, I dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    We need a black president if we wanna be cool like usa.

No we don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Micheal O Mhuircheartaigh is one of the most decent, charming men ever to come out of this country

An absolute gent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I can't get over the fact that the man is 80 years old??? I thought he was about 60.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

orourkeda wrote: »
    How about using your brain for your next suggestion for the presidency?

I have nothing against him as a person. But president material, I dont know.

in all fairness out president isn't about being a politician - it's about being a people's person to represent us abroad - Micháel would be perfect for this role because who wouldn't get on with them man... He just has that character that everyone would love and would be a great ambassador for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Having brought peace to our Island and created economic prosperity , which only collapsed after he left office, is Bertie Ahern an ideal candidate for president and to represent Ireland abroad ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

He wouldn't know his Aras from his elbow.

I vote no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Atari Jaguar
    No. That is all.

Actually OP, add a poll. Just for the craic like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Níl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Now that you mention it, he is ideal to represent us abroad seeing as he sums up everything that is wrong with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

NO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

SeaFields wrote: »

Ooh! Ooh! Yeah add a poll.

My vote is No.

He deserves to be left in the kitchen press advertising NOTW for the rest of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

SeaFields wrote: »
    No. That is all.

Let him run! Then we will see how little support there is.

Michael D Higgins by far is the best candidate. Not a big fan but would be an excellent president.

I heard George Hook will run as well if Bertie does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

I want to add a poll
    How do I add a poll ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Atari Jaguar
    alex73 wrote: »
    Let him run! Then we will see how little support there is.

Michael D Higgins by far is the best candidate. Not a big fan but would be an excellent president.

I'd like to see David Norris there. But then again I think the general consensus is

ANYBODY BUT BERTIE

I want to add a poll
    How do I add a poll ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Absolutely no.Having someone who is suspected of dishonesty and deceit as President would be like having a minister for health who is obese.......or a minister for education who can not talk properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

I want to add a poll
    How do I add a poll ?

Why waste your time!. I think the responses so far mean WE DONT WANT BERTIE BACK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Having brought peace to our Island and created economic prosperity , which only collapsed after he left office, is Bertie Ahern an ideal candidate for president and to represent Ireland abroad ?

He didn't create 'economic prosperity'. He was the chief architect in creating the conditions that have led to the mess the country finds itself in today.

Advertisement