Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Go home ya Polish bastard"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

doolox wrote: »
    Its easy when you are in a high paid job requiring perhaps a bit more than minimal English and also a local emphasis in your education, to forget that competition between the Irish and foreigners for scarce jobs is at a fever pitch.
    In most service jobs, requiring little local and language skills there is a large reduction in conditions, security and wages due to the presence of large numbers of people from Eastern Europe whose wage expectations are somewhat lower than the Irish. This changes in a matter of months as they find out how dear everything is and either go back home or look for higher wages. In the meantime the employers have 6 months to a year low cost labour until the foreigners find out the true cost of living in Ireland.

It is hard on our lower skilled workers to make the adjustment to higher demands, lower wages, less job security that the recession and foreign labour competition bring to the workplace. It is a human reaction to feel anger towards those who are powerless and different and new to the work scene. The real anger should be directed at the politicians and those in positions of influence who allowed free access to our labour markets to happen in the first place. Why did we go for the fastest and most liberal transition to full access to our labour markets when other European countries delayed it? Who did this suit? Certainly not the low skilled, lower paid people in service industries who now have no hope of improving their lot.

The loudmouths in pubs are only saying out loud what a lot of Irish people are thinking quietly to themselves but are too afraid to say. When hard times bring hunger and desperation in their wake these quiet people may not stay quiet for long and those with differences, whether national, linguistic racial etc. will not stay quiet for long.

Will you expect the parents of this country to accept that their children have to go away for work while foreigners take the few available jobs here?

Would anyone expect the long term unemployed to accept foreign labour in local shops etc. when they can't get a job for years?

So far the forces of the left have tried very hard to emphasise the international nature of labour and have defended the rights and safety of foreign labour but it may not be able to do so if the grass-roots support is pushed further in poverty by being displaced by foreign workers.

There is an urgent need for policing initiatives to counter this threat but those in power don't want to know. So long as they have an endless pool of cheap compliant and powerless labour to do their bidding they will leave the real trouble and conflict to those at the bottom.

I thanked this, because there is some truth in it - not because I agree with the sentiments of racist people.

During the height of the so-called "Celtic Tiger, a local developer laid off about 75% of his staff, saying he had no work for them.
    Within a week, he had employed a similar number of Eastern Europeans - at much lower wages, of course!!!

There was some animosity toward the Eastern Europeans until someone pointed out that it was the developer who contacted an employment agency, and actually searched for these new workers. It didn't help the guys who had lost their jobs to pay the bills, but at least they directed their anger at the right source, and filed en-masse for redundancy.
    I rather suspect that said developer found himself in some hot water, because he was out of business long before the crash.

To summarise, both groups of people lost out here - both the Irish and Eastern European workers. I'm of the opinion that similar goings-on happened throughout the country, more frequently than many of us realise....
    For those who blame foreign nationals though - Open your eyes, and see where the blame lies. It lies firmly on the shoulders of greedy businessmen, and their political friends who abused their power to enable this kind of abuse of our labour legislation.:mad:

Noreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Well if you are from Poland I'd actually be proud; for once a scumbag actually shouted abuse at someone from another country and actually got the country right! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 82,166 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I thanked this, because there is some truth in it - not because I agree with the sentiments of racist people.

During the height of the so-called "Celtic Tiger, a local developer laid off about 75% of his staff, saying he had no work for them.
    Within a week, he had employed a similar number of Eastern Europeans - at much lower wages, of course!!!

There was some animosity toward the Eastern Europeans until someone pointed out that it was the developer who contacted an employment agency, and actually searched for these new workers. It didn't help the guys who had lost their jobs to pay the bills, but at least they directed their anger at the right source, and filed en-masse for redundancy.
    I rather suspect that said developer found himself in some hot water, because he was out of business long before the crash.

To summarise, both groups of people lost out here - both the Irish and Eastern European workers. I'm of the opinion that similar goings-on happened throughout the country, more frequently than many of us realise....
    For those who blame foreign nationals though - Open your eyes, and see where the blame lies. It lies firmly on the shoulders of greedy businessmen, and their political friends who abused their power to enable this kind of abuse of our labour legislation.:mad:

Noreen
    Noreen I'm confused: surely the workers that were laid off could have taken that employer to court? That's a trademark definition of unfair dismissal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

dave 27 wrote: »
    id say 99% or irish people have no problem with polish people, they're hilarious, very similar to us Irish, i suppose you always get one or two acting the magget, doesnt matter where ur from, england, poland, dublin! i wouldnt get too upset over it man!
    Proof that Dublin is a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

all polish should go home. except all the hot polish woman.:D

:eek::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

gsxr1 wrote: »

Naughty..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I was in the pub last week and some bollock hurled abuse at me and told me, "Fukk of back to Tajikistan." I LOLed in his face cos I'm from Kyrgyzstan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

OP i think you should of started talking polish to your mates and then laughing out loud. You should of then told the scumbag that you were going home at three o clock and did they want to share a taxi, the boot would be available.

"thats right irish man. we are not going Anywhere. we are nihilists. This country is ours now"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

DonJose wrote: »
    I was in the pub last week and some bollock hurled abuse at me and told me, "Fukk of back to Tajikistan." I LOLed in his face cos I'm from Kyrgyzstan.

Is that near whywhystan? Are we neighbours? If not, go home ya kyrgyzstan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

knird evol wrote: »
    "thats right irish man. we are not going Anywhere. we are nihilists. This country is ours now"

You the man!!!

knird evol wrote: »
    " we are nihilists."

Polish for numb nuts, maybe???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭santiago

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    I remember I got racial abuse when I was over in Poland.
    Ye didn't see me starting a thread about it on the internet!!!

Assuming that you are an Irish lad you belong to the same race-'caucasian race' so its impossible to be racial abuse by someone from the same race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭santiago

Noreen1 wrote: »

Noreen

Noreen there are hundreds of movies based on Irish Emigration in States.
    There are still using 'nasty' remarks in UK about employing an irish to do low paid labour.
    Now eastern european are coming to work here.
    In 20 years time eastern european jobs will be taken by people from Mongolia,Thailand.etc
    This is life its just a business!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

djimi wrote: »
    I got that shouted at me by a homeless guy in town because I wouldnt give him money. Im from Dublin...

Had the same thing happen to me in Dundalk. I just started laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And it is usually the most "fuck the Brits, United Ireland, IRA" types who say it.
    I find it hard not to laugh if they're wearing an english premiership jersey when shouting the anti-brit abuse...
    doolox wrote: »
    Would anyone expect the long term unemployed to accept foreign labour in local shops etc. when they can't get a job for years?
    During the boom years the polish got told to f**k off back home, usually by the unemployed terd who never did a days work in his life.

In the last few months, I know of lots of foreigners who got jobs. Now, you may ask: why didn't the jobs goto the Irish? Simple answer, really: can't think of any Irish who speak mother-tongue Swedish, Finnish, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

gsxr1 wrote: »

I agree. No point in just sending her arms back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

digme wrote: »
    fight club?

First rule of Fight Club, digme... *tuts*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

I think the biggest problem that people have with any Eastern European migrants is due to the fact that alot of them don't try to integrate and socialize with the local community. There is still alot of unknowns regarding the typical Pole, Latvian etc.. A number houses around me have families from east europe and unless they have very young kids that are in school and they then hang around with the local kids we very rarely speak to the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Overheal wrote: »
    Noreen I'm confused: surely the workers that were laid off could have taken that employer to court? That's a trademark definition of unfair dismissal.

Of course it is! But if your son starts another limited company the week after yours folds............
    I think the guy got in some hot water, but I didn't get the full details, so there's no point in speculating. Besides, I think the redundancy payments made a pretty deep hole in his pocket.:D

Noreen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Obaraten wrote: »
    I had this hurled at me on friday night at the night club while i was talking to some friends,some random guy walks over and starts to try his absolute best to start a row before fecking off somewhere else to try again,i dont know if he succeeded i find it sad if this is how some people get their kicks:(

YEEEEEEEEW TUUUUURRRRKK EEEEEEEEOOOOOAAAARRRR JJJEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swan eating vodka swiller!!!

ah no, im only messing.

Ignore it, there are idiots everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

I'm not racist, but I'm getting sick of how these people keep pushing their opinions on everyone. Every Sunday - the Poles say this, the Poles said that - I don't care how satisfied they are with Enda Kenny, and I don't understand why the medya are so obsessed with their random east European thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I think the biggest problem that people have with any Eastern European migrants is due to the fact that alot of them don't try to integrate and socialize with the local community. There is still alot of unknowns regarding the typical Pole, Latvian etc.. A number houses around me have families from east europe and unless they have very young kids that are in school and they then hang around with the local kids we very rarely speak to the parents.

I had an interesting conversation with a Polish priest about that. He noted that in general the Irish had been very welcoming hosts, and that Poles had not necessarily reciprocated in kind. However, it wasn't because they didn't like Irish people, or that they were inhospitable, for most people it was because of the language barrier (in his parish anyway).

I'd also add that my experience as an English-speaking foreigner in Ireland was that it was easier to make friends and socialize with non-Irish people, because Irish people generally had their own sets of friends and networks. The only Irish friends I made when I was there were people who had recently moved back to Ireland, so didn't have their own sets of friends. I'll also add that many of my continental European friends found it very difficult to hang out with Irish people because of the drinking issue - they didn't drink as much, so they couldn't keep up with rounds, and they said they felt a bit ostracized because they would only have one or two beers after work rather than six.

I guess this is a long-winded way of saying that it's not that people want to keep to themselves, but sometimes there are hidden cultural barriers that limit socialization. Did you ever say hello to your Eastern European neighbors or invite them over to try to get to know them better?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I was walking down Blessington Street and I came across two middle aged, middle class people, don't think they were a couple. There were three black guys walking down the street and I couldn't get over what this pair said.

Stupid white man: Its a disgrace those lads are still allowed to be here what with all the Irish people out of work.

Stupid white woman: Oh its desperate, isn't it. Look at them with their fancy runners paid with by our tax I bet.

Stupid white man: They should all be rounded up and deported, monkeys the lot of them.

Me: People like you should be all rounded up and shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

I'm not racist, but ...

Why is that when a sentence starts with these famous words, you always know that you're in for an intelligent, well thought out and enlightening opinion, made with perfect grammar and spelling. Without fail.

I'm not making fun of you Donal, but ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Didn't get the joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Why is that when a sentence starts with these famous words, you always know that you're in for an intelligent, well thought out and enlightening opinion, made with perfect grammar and spelling. Without fail.

I'm not making fun of you Donal, but ...

onlyrockandroll,...have you ever had a nightmare...that you're intellectual capacity, was in reality, only a tiny fracton of what you hoped it might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Obaraten wrote: »
    I had this hurled at me on friday night at the night club while i was talking to some friends,some random guy walks over and starts to try his absolute best to start a row before fecking off somewhere else to try again,i dont know if he succeeded i find it sad if this is how some people get their kicks:(

How did he know you're Polish? My workmate is Polish and he looks Irish. Perfect English too and he's sound. My wife doesn't like the Poles, . . .mainly because she fears their stunning women. :)

hmmmmmm, Polish women.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I had an interesting conversation with a Polish priest about that. He noted that in general the Irish had been very welcoming hosts, and that Poles had not necessarily reciprocated in kind. However, it wasn't because they didn't like Irish people, or that they were inhospitable, for most people it was because of the language barrier (in his parish anyway).

I'd also add that my experience as an English-speaking foreigner in Ireland was that it was easier to make friends and socialize with non-Irish people, because Irish people generally had their own sets of friends and networks. The only Irish friends I made when I was there were people who had recently moved back to Ireland, so didn't have their own sets of friends. I'll also add that many of my continental European friends found it very difficult to hang out with Irish people because of the drinking issue - they didn't drink as much, so they couldn't keep up with rounds, and they said they felt a bit ostracized because they would only have one or two beers after work rather than six.

I guess this is a long-winded way of saying that it's not that people want to keep to themselves, but sometimes there are hidden cultural barriers that limit socialization. Did you ever say hello to your Eastern European neighbors or invite them over to try to get to know them better?

Cue the "they have to integrate with our way" replies!

But yeah, Irish people can be very clannish and I'm sure it can be hard to break cliques. Sure it is common for Irish people abroad too.

Good point about the pub.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

I'm not racist, but

lol, was anything not racist ever likely to follow this statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

K-9 wrote: »
    Cue the "they have to integrate with our way" replies!

But yeah, Irish people can be very clannish and I'm sure it can be hard to break cliques. Sure it is common for Irish people abroad too.

Good point about the pub.

Haha, when I first moved to Spain, if I was feeling lonely or wanted to have a conversation in English, I would go to an Irish pub! I made more Irish friends in Madrid than I did in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

johnn wrote: »
    lol, was anything not racist ever likely to follow this statement

It really bugs me. At least be honest that you are about to make a racist comment, if you really believe in what your saying why would you care if its racist or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement