Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Go home ya Polish bastard"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Its easy when you are in a high paid job requiring perhaps a bit more than minimal English and also a local emphasis in your education, to forget that competition between the Irish and foreigners for scarce jobs is at a fever pitch.
    In most service jobs, requiring little local and language skills there is a large reduction in conditions, security and wages due to the presence of large numbers of people from Eastern Europe whose wage expectations are somewhat lower than the Irish. This changes in a matter of months as they find out how dear everything is and either go back home or look for higher wages. In the meantime the employers have 6 months to a year low cost labour until the foreigners find out the true cost of living in Ireland.

It is hard on our lower skilled workers to make the adjustment to higher demands, lower wages, less job security that the recession and foreign labour competition bring to the workplace. It is a human reaction to feel anger towards those who are powerless and different and new to the work scene. The real anger should be directed at the politicians and those in positions of influence who allowed free access to our labour markets to happen in the first place. Why did we go for the fastest and most liberal transition to full access to our labour markets when other European countries delayed it? Who did this suit? Certainly not the low skilled, lower paid people in service industries who now have no hope of improving their lot.

The loudmouths in pubs are only saying out loud what a lot of Irish people are thinking quietly to themselves but are too afraid to say. When hard times bring hunger and desperation in their wake these quiet people may not stay quiet for long and those with differences, whether national, linguistic racial etc. will not stay quiet for long.

Will you expect the parents of this country to accept that their children have to go away for work while foreigners take the few available jobs here?

Would anyone expect the long term unemployed to accept foreign labour in local shops etc. when they can't get a job for years?

So far the forces of the left have tried very hard to emphasise the international nature of labour and have defended the rights and safety of foreign labour but it may not be able to do so if the grass-roots support is pushed further in poverty by being displaced by foreign workers.

There is an urgent need for policing initiatives to counter this threat but those in power don't want to know. So long as they have an endless pool of cheap compliant and powerless labour to do their bidding they will leave the real trouble and conflict to those at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Somebody got insulted on a night out? Call the army.

Seriously though: it could have been worse and it happens everywhere to everyone for being anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A Polish fella got badly done over in Coolock last night, I won't suggest it was the same fella but it shows how different the experience could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I was in a club last night and after 3 days of heavy drinking and no sleep I decided to stay on the ribena. Que some drunk Polish man coming up to me and offering to teach me how to drink!!! He caught me on an off night and I feel I let our country down. I'm sorry Ireland.

He was lovely though, like a giant drunken bear.

Can't we all just get along and drink together, we all like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sorry to hear this op. I often get abused the same way aswell...:( Only thing is I am Irish....:(:(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

stovelid wrote: »
    Somebody got insulted on a night out? Call the army.

lol ive never heard someone say that before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

OP, I'm Irish, and I was driving home one evening and there was an idiot on the side of the road staggering home after a skinful (and this was only 7pm or so).

As I passed he gave me an exaggerated two-finger salute; I don't know the guy and don't want to.

Basically, there are drunken idiots everywhere, and unfortunately "getting pissed" seems to be a pastime to far too many people (without being insulting, many Polish people too).
    Some people are simply an embarrassment to their country.

I definitely wouldn't take it to heart; as I always tell myself, what counts is not what strangers think of me, it's what people I know think of me. Anyone else is basing their opinion on their own prejudices, ignorance, and inadequacies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this op. I often get abused the same way aswell...:( Only thing is I am Irish....:(:(.
    You need to put a protective cocoon around your accent when you're in Dublin/talking to Dubliners - I have it down to a fine art. Then when they get to know you and like you and they can't be mean to you any more: BAM! Ear assault! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    OP, I'm Irish, and I was driving home one evening and there was an idiot on the side of the road staggering home after a skinful (and this was only 7pm or so).

As I passed he gave me an exaggerated two-finger salute; I don't know the guy and don't want to.

Basically, there are drunken idiots everywhere, and unfortunately "getting pissed" seems to be a pastime to far too many people (without being insulting, many Polish people too).
    Some people are simply an embarrassment to their country.

I definitely wouldn't take it to heart; as I always tell myself, what counts is not what strangers think of me, it's what people I know think of me. Anyone else is basing their opinion on their own prejudices, ignorance, and inadequacies.

Autually Liam a bit o/t but the day I got married we were on the way to the hotel in Blarney and I looked out the window at a drunken pedestrian and when he copped the wedding car he started making fap fap gestures at me..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

Aww, man up, OP! you're making the Irish think we've got no idiots looking for a fight in nightclubs in Poland ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I thought you were from Laois or somewhere like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

andala wrote: »
    Aww, man up, OP! you're making the Irish think we've got no idiots looking for a fight in nightclubs in Poland ;)

Second that, Walking through old town Warsaw last night with a group of Chinese in front of me and 3 Polish blokes "drunk" abused them as they walked by.
    It happens everywhere don't be so upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    I remember I got racial abuse when I was over in Poland.
    Ye didn't see me starting a thread about it on the internet!!!

Starting thread/participating in thread....much the same

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    I remember I got racial abuse when I was over in Poland.
    Ye didn't see me starting a thread about it on the internet!!!

Nah, you just decided to tell everybody reading this thread about it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

You should have stabbed him in the abdomen with a rusty screwdriver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

alex73 wrote: »
    Crockets in Ballina were refusing Poles because of a fight. Believe me there is a lot of prejudice

there is, and its going to get worse.
    There's a lot of resentment that polish workers remain occuping jobs that would normally be filled by irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Obaraten wrote: »
    To clarify im not Polish,im Irish but i was in the presence of Polish company when this idiot began his vitriol,he heard me speaking in Polish and assumed i was,it was more of a question why do some think its perfectly acceptable to go start a row with strangers

Well if you love Poland so much, you should consider moving there. :P

No doubt he'll run into a crowd who will teach him some manners before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I know it could have but i just find it strange that this randomer would come over to a group of lads trying his best to start a row

if there was a group of you and just one of him, he's an idiot. the whole racism thing is pretty stupid too but going against a group is like saying, 'yes, i want to be battered.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

People shout abuse at me all the time and I'm not Polish. A couple of weeks ago I was going for a walk and some bastard driving past beeped at me and shouted something incoherent. Then a red-faced, inbred looking twelve year old child in the backseat stuck his fingers up at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

I had this hurled at me on friday night at the night club while i was talking to some friends,some random guy walks over and starts to try his absolute best to start a row before fecking off somewhere else to try again,i dont know if he succeeded i find it sad if this is how some people get their kicks:(

Don't feel bad mate, muppets like this are all around unfortunately. Its idiotism but unfortunately its idiots like this that make alot of non nationals thing most Ireland don't like them. I've often being called a "Mayo bastard" even in Mayo a couple of time and I've often seen my brother in law called a "northern bastard" etc.... These ppl are first class idiots and can't think of a proper insult so they just think of something as simple as nationality, home town etc... and add bastard on the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

People shout abuse at me all the time and I'm not Polish. A couple of weeks ago I was going for a walk and some bastard driving past beeped at me and shouted something incoherent. Then a red-faced, inbred looking twelve year old child in the backseat stuck his fingers up at me.

why? We're you dressed in Nazi Uniform or something offensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Did you ask the person if they were born within wedlock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Just a scumbag, looking for any excuse to have a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Dont worry about it, I have been called a Limerick scumbag for no reason many a time !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

IvySlayer wrote: »
    They need to Polish up their attitude.

Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Gobshítes are everywhere. I'm Irish with Mexican ancestry and i get stupid racist shít said to me a fair bit while out. The kind i hate most are the subtle fúckers who try sneak it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

OP - Me and a friend were called foreign spongers by some drunk prick here in Waterford about a year ago.. I was speaking Irish at the time to a friend. I actually know of the guy - and I'm certain he's a dole-sponging junky himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

dlofnep wrote: »
    OP - Me and a friend were called foreign spongers by some drunk prick here in Waterford about a year ago.. I was speaking Irish at the time to a friend. I actually know of the guy - and I'm certain he's a dole-sponging junky himself.

I love this!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement