Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

16.5k in 1.33 odd

I'm doing a month long experiment with a Paelo lifestyle; just for a change and to see how it works for me tbh.

Linked to that I had been reading about running on empty in a few blogs I was reading, where you do one or two longish runs a week in a fasted state [so run before you eat before breakfast & not having eaten anything for 12 hours - the theory being that you run into fat burning mode quicker, and get your body used to that and you become better at running into that mode; and no harm at all burning some extra fat in the process.

All just an experiment, and I think now is the time to do that, in the off season. It may all be rubbish, but I want to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

16.5k in 1.33 odd

I'm doing a month long experiment with a Paelo lifestyle; just for a change and to see how it works for me tbh.

Linked to that I had been reading about running on empty in a few blogs I was reading, where you do one or two longish runs a week in a fasted state [so run before you eat before breakfast & not having eaten anything for 12 hours - the theory being that you run into fat burning mode quicker, and get your body used to that and you become better at running into that mode; and no harm at all burning some extra fat in the process.

All just an experiment, and I think now is the time to do that, in the off season. It may all be rubbish, but I want to check it out.

I did that in training last year, no gels and even starved myself prior to my 16 with 10 at MP, there's merit to it but there's a direct link between carb depletion and the immune system, just be sure to recover properly from each session and get those carbs back into the body asap after your run.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I've been kind of paleo for a couple of months now. OH went paleo, so dinner suddenly contains a lot more meat and less carbs, bread not allowed in the house, and I've been upping my protein intake (two eggs for breakfast these days, plus the muesli) Seem to be running okay on it, and getting seriously skinny.
    Can't do the fasted running thing though, eating breakfast before I run fits my schedule too well.

My weakness foo wise was always bread and carbs! From a tiny age. My diet is not too bad these days, but still has too much rubbish (mainly in and around work) but the paelo concept makes a lot of sense to me.

So im going to give it a lash for a month and we will see from there! Test for me will be getting planned/organised for work lunches!!

So im going to give it a lash for a month and we will see from there! Test for me will be getting planned/organised for work lunches!!

I can't imagine you'd see much in the way of results in one month, open to correction though! ;)

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I can't imagine you'd see much in the way of results in one month, open to correction though! ;)
    Challenge for me here will be if I can do it and stick to it more so than "feel a better in only 14 days or your money back" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

My weakness foo wise was always bread and carbs! From a tiny age. My diet is not too bad these days, but still has too much rubbish (mainly in and around work) but the paelo concept makes a lot of sense to me.

Does it though? Does it really? Are you sure you're not just being brainwashed by the media. I mean, I'm reliably informed that people have been eating bread for around 30,000 and it doesn't make nutritional sense to exclude dairy products from your diet :confused:

We have not been eating grains and carbs in anything like the processed nature and volumes and quantities we do now for 30,000 years. The fact folks cant excape from, is that the western world is getting fatter and less healthy. There are many reasons for that, eating processed crap [cos its generally cheap] is one of them IN MY OPINION!

Anyway, Im pretty up on these things having read many books on all kinds of food/nutrition on my weight loss adventure and afterwards as I just got interested in it - and therefore try different plans, programs for myself sometimes, generally for a month or so, to form my own opinion and to just make things interesting having to make new types of food or do without stuff and having to work around and thus educate myself [eg: on one of these things I discovered Quinoa, for example, never even having heard the name/word before, and I have that at least once a week now].

From where I sit now, this [paelo] style of eating makes sense to me - not to say that in a couple of weeks I will agree with that anymore, hence looking into it for myself - not just reading one book and taking that at face value..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Test for me will be getting planned/organised for work lunches!!

Work days are usually better for me than the weekends, because I can plan what I'll be eating. I bring a bag of apples, bananas, oatcakes, and soup in with me to work and that's my diet. This week I'll be bringing a load of cheese and ham in with me too. It's like having your gear ready before your run - getting organised is a bit of hassle, but its so much easier to follow through on a good decision already made.

From where I sit now, this [paelo] style of eating makes sense to me - not to say that in a couple of weeks I will agree with that anymore, hence looking into it for myself - not just reading one book and taking that at face value..
    Ok.....just remember though cavemen are so last ice age :p

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTptfyCxkytSnHVVNX1SzwS10z9a0Z_EnGQgiRl5LaVUkpsJWiTcQ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

RayCun wrote: »
    Work days are usually better for me than the weekends, because I can plan what I'll be eating. I bring a bag of apples, bananas, oatcakes, and soup in with me to work and that's my diet. This week I'll be bringing a load of cheese and ham in with me too. It's like having your gear ready before your run - getting organised is a bit of hassle, but its so much easier to follow through on a good decision already made.

Whatever about runners, this is great advice for someone trying to lose weight. Organising your eating helps remove the likelihood and temptation to eat convenient/bad foods.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Does it though? Does it really? Are you sure you're not just being brainwashed by the media. I mean, I'm reliably informed that people have been eating bread for around 30,000 and it doesn't make nutritional sense to exclude dairy products from your diet :confused:

It really depends on what 'sort' of paleo diet you adopt. Many wouldn't advocate excluding dairy products, they actually encourage them as a way to up your good fats.

It really depends on what 'sort' of paleo diet you adopt. Many wouldn't advocate excluding dairy products, they actually encourage them as a way to up your good fats.
    Oh right thanks. I just googled it quickly and whatever I was looking at said no dairy. I thought that was a bit strange actually :)

Everyone's an expert! :P

Everyone's an expert! :P

I know everything.

I know everything.

Betcha don't know what I'm thinking now? :pac:

Betcha don't know what I'm thinking now? :pac:

Something stupid and not at all funny.

See, I TOLD you I know everything.

Sorry to drag this back to the subject in hand...

8.5k in 46 mins - Up to the track in Irishtown over lunch and did some marathon pace laps. Highlight of the run being the redicilous fake dogs on the infield to scare birds away :D - Also the inside lane on the back straight is utterly ****ed with far more holes and torn sections than a couple of months ago, someone must have run around it with a lawn mower :(

Im entered into the "Race in Dark for Mark" around town tomorrow, but with a work gang. Not racing at all, doing it as a 2 by 3 mile quality session with a min inbetween [or so!]

On food front, started on the eating regime Monday - not doing full hardcore Paelo, for a range of reasons, but doing a version of it which I saw on a diets for runners type website. As RQ said, there seems to be hundreds of versions of it out there.

My beloved caffine is gone :eek: [Seriously, I was drinking too much coffee and diet coke/coke zero anyway, no loss, but I reserve the right to winge now and again!]

10k in 46.37

Run in the Dark for Mark with a work gang. Did it as a training run of 2 by 3 miles, where I did more like 5k at desired 10k pace, almost a km at marathon pace and struggled to get near desired 10k pace for last 4km [so a good bit was slipping to half pace for a while]

When its not a goal race its hard to dig out that last bit of energy isent it :)

Start a complete disaster, hate races which dont have some element of wave starting - but I was not bothered as I was doing it for "fun" :)

A small bit stiff from the race the other night and groin was a fraction stiff. So my plan was to take a couple of days off [not in full training mode yet, so who cares about an extra day off! I deserve it!].

Thursday:
    I had to do a couple of last second messages at lunch yesterday, so all in all did a 90 min cycle between one thing and another!

Friday:
    Today, I had to get a part for the car, so cycled over to Park Motors on the Navan road, which was about 45 mins round trip of a cycle..

So two sessions of "free" exercise :D

Food thing going really well actually, not missing caffeine [Drinking Roobios tea] or gluten at all, and generally eat a lot of fruit and veggies anyway.

• Advertisement

Easy Saturday morning run, did not have a huge window in which to run, so ran up to the park and up Kyber and around and home by Garda HQ..

Paid no attention to pace at all, so that was all over the place - but I do enjoy off season runs like that :)

So just short of 12k in 1.08

Food thing going really well actually, not missing caffeine [Drinking Roobios tea] or gluten at all, and generally eat a lot of fruit and veggies anyway.
    532172_302260833217619_2143609114_n.jpg

16.5k in 1.32

A nice, mucky run around the outside wall of the phoenix park. Absolutely baltic out there, at least it felt that way for the first while. really enjoying these off-season "random" runs with no particular training plan in mind :)

Saw the tail end of the NYC-Dublin Marathon thing, some of the slower folks running on their own, a great idea to put the race on for them :)

Totally not in the mood for this at all, would much rather have sat on my arse and watched telly for no real reason other than laziness!

But zipped up the aul man suit and got out and did it, only an easy Tuesday night run, but its the point of getting off yer arse and getting out there which counts.

Freezing cold out, but with my audiobook for company the run flew by :)

10.5k in 57 mins odd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

16.5k in 1.32

A nice, mucky run around the outside wall of the phoenix park. Absolutely baltic out there, at least it felt that way for the first while. really enjoying these off-season "random" runs with no particular training plan in mind :)

Saw the tail end of the NYC-Dublin Marathon thing, some of the slower folks running on their own, a great idea to put the race on for them :)

+1 :)

Woke up like I had done a marathon last night, with legs really sore, quads, glutes, groin, knees all sore - wtf? Dont you hate when that happens. Its like those days you wake up feeling like you have a hangover without having drank anything!!!

So walked slowly to work, as I'm away for the weekend from Thurs, so today is my only chance to a quality session.

Headed up the club over lunch at last min as its a great day out and had to cut what I had planned short a bit, so did 14 by 200m @ 5k pace with 200m recovery - good hard session and the last couple of 200m's were really tough.

Overall 6 miles in just over 50 mins

Away for weekend yay, first time in my recent memory that I have gone away and NOT brought running stuff :eek:

My weight down .9 of a Kilo, which is great after a week and a half on new regieme :cool: Not a huge deal, I was out with nephews on Sunday and was bold and had some food on banned list, but feck it, Im a firm believer in "cheat" meals once a week; as long as your good 90% of the time, you can do what you want [within reason!] the other 10% :D

Thurs to Sunday
    Away for weekend with other half. No running, but about 30 hours walking over the weekend as we did the tourist thing, about 4 million calories consumed in food and drinks as we did the other side of the tourist thing :)

Monday
    Did a longer run than usual for early week out and back up and down the canal, just over 12k in just over 70 mins as I see to run off some of the weekends excesses! cold enough, so I broke out the ultra sexy running tights for the first time :)

8.5k in 45 mins

Really want to get into the habit of going to Tuesday evening club sessions, for one night a week of speed work while I do some crazy long miles for the Ultra. But when I have gear with me and plan to go, something ALWAYS comes up! [Im also away next Tuesday, so cant do then either!]

As was today, I have a work thing to do after work now [as of 10am], so I was going to do a session at lunch. And as I was leaving I got told I had to attend a meeting in under an hour, so I had to really cut short my planned session. Damn real life getting in the way of my running :(

So I ended up doing 5 by 200's with 200m in-between, at faster than 5k pace; then I did 2 by 400 with 400 in-between, also at faster than 5k pace.

Not an amazing session and much shorter than planned, but better than nothing!

• Advertisement

10.5k in 56 mins odd

Not really in the mood for a run this evening, but knew I would be grand as soon as I got out the door. My lord as its cold out there!

I was ok as soon as I was out there, but still a fraction flat. Could be any number of reasons, a few crap nights sleep in a row and work being a bit mad today could be obvious reasons.

Tomorrow may now turn into a rest day, we will see. No point in trying to be a hero in the off season :)

Advertisement