Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options
  • 27-09-2010 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭

So this is dangerous, as I'm doing this without reading anyone else's log so I could be doing it totally wrong! I will edit if needs be.

Background: 4 months ago I was over 20 stone and hardly able to walk up the stairs to my apartment. I got motivated and starting loosing weight via a radical change in my diet and also starting to go to gym. Im now 4 stone lighter, and things are going really well. My discovery of running has been a huge part of that success.

My weight loss was done with a brilliant weight loss club in town - <Snip> URL removed at mod request</Snip>

As part of going to gym I starting building my fitness slowly but surely. I started on cross trainer for 10 minutes and running for a couple of minutes, and basically using the 10% principal I built it up more and more each week.

When I was on holidays in west cork during summer, after I had started loosing weight I went for a run on the roads, in the middle of nowhere and found that I could do it, and that I loved it. I also found that people did not stop and look at this big lump running. Which was a big thing for me, psychologically.

So I started running around the block, just a single k or so to begin, and again I loved it. During the summer a mate was running the Adidas 10 mile thing in the park, I went up for a look. By a myracle I saw him, and started running with him, rain jacket, tracksuit, back pack and all. I ran the last 6k with him, which was the furthest I had ran at that point. While I was sweatting and wrecked, I knew I had more. That was a big step for me, as I knew I could do it, and I also saw with my own two eyes that the people in these races are regular folks of all shapes and sizes, not just stick insect size zero type people :)

Yesterday I ran my first ever road race, the rathfarnham 5k. I did that as I have grown up around there and i have seen it run in the past and always thought to myself I could never do that. I did it in 26.11 [official time was 26.17, but I was right at the back, so it took me 5 or 6 seconds to get over the start line. That was beyond my wildest dreams, as in my training runs I had not broken into the 28's yet, let alone the 26's :) [that being said, I was utterly ruined at the end, I really gave it every single thing I had, but I guess that is what your meant to do in races!]. But I have never been so proud of myself to be honest, I had a big dirty grin on my face all day, indeed into today.

So as I begin to kick on to longer distances and doing more challenging runs I thought why not start one of these..

Next on the list for me:

Simon 5 Mile in Phoenix Park - Raised over €200, which while not going to win any awards is not a bad return for asking a few people once. I dont want to beg for money in these times when many people have it tough.

I]going away for 10 days in late October, in what will be quite a boozy/unhealthy affair, so leaving November free, to get back into shape :)[/I

Aware 10k - December in the Park

Will most likely enter the jingle bells 5k - but only heard about it in flyer after race yesterday.

Need to find other 10k type races around the place into the new year. As if I dont have these things to aim for I could get lazy. These forums are solid gold for that, as thats how I heard about the rathfarnham one! So no worries there tbh.

Short term targets:
    Im doing just over 20k a week now, so I want to move that up to 30k a week, and I think I could leave it around there for the winter tbh.

Need to find some more interesting runs! I live right in the middle of town, and at the weekend I run in Phoenix Park, but during the week I run up to the canal, and around it. Going to read around here and see if anyone else has any better ideas :)

Long term:
    Clearly thinking about the longer distances, even the big M maybe. But need to loose a bit more weight first. Im in no rush at all. So Im sort of thinking of maybe the Dublin marathon in 12 months might be a fair goal..

I lived in London for 5 years and always went out to watch it, as it went quite close to where I lived at one stage. So I would LOVE to do the one over there, but maybe that could be my second one :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats on your weight loss, and on the 5k at the weekend :)

Good luck with the log! What's the next goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Welcome to the logs, and fair play on the first race - good time too. I love hearing stories of people losing weight and making changes and running being part of that.

My advice is be patient and be consistent. stick to the 10% increase rule, warm up and down and stretch. injuries are a runners enemy.

Keep up the good work and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Tuesday night:
    4.5k in around 25 minutes.

A horrible wet night, and I really did not want to go out. But I forced myself, glad I did.

I also ran without music for the first time, which was interesting. Maybe on the dark winters nights you really have to have your wits about you.

Entered the jingle bells 5k this evening too, it will be good training and practice for the aware 10k the week after :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I see you are looking for races in the new year.
    There is a 5 mile race in Raheny every year at the end of january. The Date for 2011 has yet to be announced but you'll find the info here.
    It is perfect for getting you back in training in January to knock off the christmas flab.

Best of luck with the training.

P.S. Have you joined us in Boards AC? I noticed your post in the XC thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

nice one on starting the log and fantastic stuff on the weight front.

Il be at the simon 5 miler all as are a good few boardsies from what i gather so might catch ya there

I'm learning to swim, so last night I went for a swim for 45 minutes to practice rather than run :)

Tonight I have my actual swimming lesson, so I will be doing that for 70 or 80 minutes

It has been my new years resolution to learn to swim for years, every year, so now I am actually doing it, Im crazy focused on doing it and learning properly!

Nightmare of a day in work, and where 3 or 4 months ago I would have come home with a 16" Pizza and beers, I came home and went for a run - mad how things change :)

Just over 6k in 33 minutes

Saturday Morning:

The highlight of my week, a lap of the phoenix park, circa 11k in 66 minutes odd.

Was feeling great, and could have gone on and done more tbh, but things to do, damn real life :)

Was also using my new Garmin F60 for the first time, enable me to track my HR and time a bit better

menoscemo wrote: »
    P.S. Have you joined us in Boards AC?
    Sent off the stuff to join Boards AC today :)

• Advertisement

Went swimming today, for over an hour.

I can now swim about 20 meters, but have to stop then as I have not learned to take a breath while swimming yet. But Im pretty pleased with that after only 2 lessons :)

5.5k in 30 mins odd

Avg HR: 138 bpm
    Max HR: 152 bpm

40 minutes free weights in gym, followed by 30 mins swimming. So THATS why I pay to be in the expensive gym :)

I had a tiny twinge in my lower back running yesterday, and again I have a tiny twinge there now. Its not bad at all, but its enough to make me nervous.

I really hope this does not become something more serious and mess up my Simon 5 mile run on Saturday morning :(

45 min swimming lesson

Ran home from the pool [just under 5k] - have started to play around with interval training, going hard for 30 seconds and then slow for a minute..

Jesus Im wrecked now :)

Simon 5 Mile race in the phoenix park.

Time: 00:46:10

Avg HR: 150 bpm
    Max HR: 163 bpm

Bit slower than I had hoped, but it was really windy and also the start was mental with all the kids! But its not too bad, so you cant be that unhappy :)

Really good to see some of the boards ladies and gents afterwards :)

514 Joe O'reilly 1125 45:59 47:27 01:27

Chip Time, saving me 11 seconds..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Need to find some more interesting runs! I live right in the middle of town, and at the weekend I run in Phoenix Park, but during the week I run up to the canal, and around it. Going to read around here and see if anyone else has any better ideas :)

I live in the city centre too and the 2 best places to go are sandymount and clontarf in the dark. For sandymount run straight down pearse street and through irishtown before the seafront opens up. The beach is lit up, you can run on that or the footpath, then there is over a mile of grass path before the level crossing. Town to the train tracks is 3 mls and 3 back so its a good distance.

For clontarf, head out past the front of Connolly onto the north strand road, you then hit fairview park, best avoided after dark. You then pass clontarf dart station and the seafront opens up. here you have 5 miles of illuminated pathways and 2 mls of grass trail which leads all the way to sutton cross. My fav running spot in the country. The best part of the seafronts is that there are no crossroads so its uninterrupted running, can get windy though.

Only major problems with both routes is the fact that it takes 1.5 mls before you hit the seafront at both places so best to save these runs for 5 mls or further. City centre living is great for everything but running :rolleyes:

Good to meet you yesterday and best of luck. Remember i said to you yesterday that the start of your running life is the best, with pb's all round the place. Enjoy it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good to meet you yesterday and best of luck. Remember i said to you yesterday that the start of your running life is the best, with pb's all round the place. Enjoy it.

Pfft I'm running 3 years now and I still pb all over the shop. :cool:

7.5k in 45 minutes

Avg HR: 136 bpm
    Max HR: 150 bpm

Yesterday - Lazy B4stard

This Morning : 45 mins swimming [can swim about 12-15 meters, but have not mastered breathing without drinking half of pool yet, we continue to practice].

Tonight, intend to do a good long run. I may go some random direction play it by ear, rather than up and down canal..

• Advertisement

8.4k in 50 minutes..

Was messing with Garmin last night, so I turned off heart rate thing by accident. So have no HR, but suffice to say Im wrecked, and my knees and hips are sore - so thats a sign I did enough for me :)

Went to the gym, as I have been all running running over last few weeks. I cant forget this all started with a quest to loose weight, and while running is great to do that, I need to keep doing a bit of gym work at least once a week.

45 mins sundry weights and 30 mins going quite hard on cross trainer

Im very pleased with myself now, as I just run for longer [in terms of time] and further [distance] than I ever have done before :)

15k on the nose in just over an hour and a half - while the pace wont break records, I was just going to complete the run more than anything.

Avg HR: 134 bpm
    Max HR: 154 bpm

I was really struggling in the last kilometer, a good learning experience in terms of having to take on liquid on long runs before the stage where your fecked :)

Gym for an hour this morning...

Im away on holidays for a week now - be good, good luck in marathon everyone :)

Back from an awesome holiday, a week later! Drank more over last week than over previous 6 to 9 months combined!

Hope everyone who ran the marathon on Monday had a good day and was happy with result..

Anyway straight back into things, I did an hour of weights in the gym around lunch [with 20 mins extra in sauna at the end, to sweat out some of that booze!].

Just been for a 7.5k run, took around 45 mins. Did not wear Garmin so have no HR number, as I just wanted to get out and get some miles under my belt again, and get back into it!

oh, and I entered the Connamara Half Marathon..

I realize its a good while away, and I could maybe train for the big one by then, but I'm in no rush to run the full race so the half will do fine for now :)

I love that part of the country, so its a good excuse to check the place out from somewhere other than the back of a car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I realize its a good while away, and I could maybe train for the big one by then, but I'm in no rush to run the full race so the half will do fine for now :)

Fair play to you! I'll be running it too, despite not having ran farther than 6km since taking up running 8 weeks ago. Are you going to use a plan?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good stuff, make sure you run some hills in training too in preparation! You probably couldn't have picked a more scenic half.

feeling rubbish at the end of a weird day in work, but forced myself to go out for a short training run to clear the head and do some thinking :)

Went a new route, and found a nice hill I think I am going to grow to hate :)

Did a fraction under 6k in just over 36 minutes - never killing myself at all tbh [but the hill hurt a small bit, but thats just a weary body after long day I think].

Avg HR: 144 bpm
    Max HR: 157 bpm

• Advertisement

Strange, was feeling great as soon as I actually got out of bed, but as soon as I started to run I was really dragging my arse around.

Mat a couple of the boards lads for the first time, and we ran together around the park, which was brilliant. I had to leave them after a circuit [and a bit] of the park as I was wrecked [to be honest] and I have to get ready to go out later this afternoon. So if I was crippled and unable to move that would be bad :)

First stage [for me] was 5k [in 32 minutes odd] to get from my gaff up to the papal cross, to meet the lads. I use that as a warm up, so Im not killing myself at all. :)

After the 3 of us met up and went off I was with them for around 8km, done in 47 odd minutes.

It was clear from my lungs and legs that I was going a bit faster than I was used to! My phone tells me we were doing an average of 5.56 per km, which was just beyond walking pace for them, but I could really feel it [for my 15k run a couple of weeks ago I was doing 6.22 on average per km. Where I have a bad habit of 'resting' mid-run and doing a slow KM or two, where I have to learn how to get a pace and stick to it, and no do that. Runs like this today will be good for that.]

Overall:
    Average HR 141
    Max HR 167

[Note that both the average and max hr are up on my 15k run a couple of weeks ago. I must check out of thats good or bad :)]

It was great to meet the boards lads, and great to be pushed. It is very easy to run within yourself when your doing a long run on your own. Thats the whole point of being in a club and training isent it :)

Advertisement