Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

claralara wrote: »
    Vagga I'm following your log - you seem to be tipping away nicely but I'd be lying if I said it was giving me a huge indication of how you're getting on in advance of Berlin... Any chance you want to give the milers a quick low down in real mararthon language?! :D

Miles? i don't see any miles here...
    strecke-2012.jpg

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

@cl - it's all about km's, miles are so last century

I would not be telling the truth if I said I was utterly confident of 3.30 at Berlin, but will give it a good lash. The 10 mile tomorrow will tell a good tale and show how I'm doing.

@slow - aiming for sub-1.15 tomorrow, did 1.17 in mallow in march, and was thrilled with that at the time. So that would not be a bad improvement for a few months work :)

Preamble:
    As per what I said in the first post in this log, it was 2 years ago today that..:
    ...a mate was running the Adidas 10 mile thing in the park, I went up for a look. By a miracle I saw him, and started running with him...I ran the last 6k with him, which was the furthest I had ran at that point...That was a big step for me, as I knew I could do it, and I also saw with my own two eyes that the people in these races are regular folks of all shapes and size

Was in west cork all last week, and while I got a few sessions done, all the food and drink was hardly ideal preparation. The goal is sub-3.30 in Berlin, so I turned this into a fast finish LSR of sorts [have the second half of your LSR much faster than first bit, aim to simulate end of marathon and run hard on tired legs. So I did 9k in 52 minutes, as a slow warm up of sorts.

Race:
    I wanted to go sub-1.15, so that was around 4.40 km's - started about half way down first wave I guess. My race plan was to bank a small bit of time in first 6/7 miles, knowing the hills over last couple of miles would take it out of me. So that is what I did.

I also took a chance and wore my new racing flats in a race for the first time, having wore them for 2 or 3 short training runs up to now.

First KM was 4.26, my usual fast start. Second, I slowed down a fraction and did it in 4.33, feeling pretty damn good :)

Next 3 KM's were all around 4.35 km's, around the back road, and again I was feeling pretty good. I was conscious that in almost every single race I have ever done I slow down in the middle, and loose time, KM 6 started off and I drifted off into 4.44 min/KM's - but I spotted it early, and counter acted it and sped up a bit. Cue a 4.28 KM :)

We are now going back down chesterfield avenue again, and I am starting to suffer the merest fraction, and worryingly I start to think mentally "ah crap, am I only half way, maybe I should drop out..." - Im usually very strong mentally in these races, so that was a first. But put head down and sped up a bit, and did the 3 KM's in and around 4.31 min/km's.

Turning the corner, by the magazine fort and the brief downhill section I held off a small bit, and was passed by a load of people, I still did a 4.23km, but I knew what was up ahead and it was sensible.

Low and behold on the military road, and the sharp hill I kept 4.40 pace going up there and passed most of those folks who had just passed me.

I was a bit wrecked there, and as I thought before hand my pace slowed a bit for these miles, and averaged 4.42 min/km or so for the next few KM's, around the S bends and over and around toward the finish area. It really was a struggle, but I was able to stick with it. I was passing people and being passed by others in equal measure.

I was begging the finish to come, and thankfully due to the nature of the course, we were back on Chesterfield avenue, and could see the finish and hear the bloke talking rubbish but mustered up a finish, and a final 4.32 min/km.

Epilogue:
    Watch time, 1.14.10 - I was wrecked at the the line, but that's the point. I think I paced the race pretty well, and it went totally according to my race plan, which was great :)

PB by over 3 mins from my time in Mallow from March [which I was thrilled with] - so that improvement in a few months [on a harder course here] is great :)

Its also a good run to setup Berlin, and that stab at 3.30. Its still a reach if Im totally honest, but anything close to it would be a huge PB and a great achievement, and I will keep shooting for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That's a great run, well paced. I was a little faster last year, 73.51, and that was without the long warmup run (and maybe cleaner living in race week:))
    So 3.30 is still within reach - but it will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Preamble:

Its also a good run to setup Berlin, and that stab at 3.30. Its still a reach if Im totally honest, but anything close to it would be a huge PB and a great achievement, and I will keep shooting for it :)

That's a great race vAGGABOND. I did this in 83 last year and made three and a half for the marathon so it shouldn't be a bother to you if you get those long runs in over the next two months. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

So 3.30 is still within reach - but it will be tough.
    I am thinking the same exact thing Ray. Its one reason I was a bit worried by the mental weakness in the middle of the race today, as that mental strength is just what I will need at the end of the race to get me over the line, on pace...

But I have 2 or 3 weeks of hard work left to make some further improvements, so loads of room to make those "1%" differences that will get me over the line in time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Well done Vagga - stick to your guns and go for it - you'll be there or there abouts in the closing kms in Berlin so it'll be down to the head. Hope you had the club colours on :)

This morning 18k in 1.46 odd on tired legs...

Misplaced garmin (since found) and therefore just ran without, on feel, tracking with endomondo on the phone. Average Pace ended up just under 6 min km's. Which is just fine by me :)

Legs a bit sore now, after those two runs and a busy weekend around it too, back to work tomorrow, boo :(

Monday:
    Have to go to London Wednesday with work for the day, also legs sore from weekend and have a couple of tiny niggles, so did some last minute rejigging of the plan for this week and next. Ditched tempo/speed work from this week [not taking risk of doing it on niggles a month out from Berlin], and moved stuff around.

So did a 8k recovery run in about 48 mins. Legs a bit tired and stiff, but fine by end of the run.

Tues AM:
    17.5k in 1.40

Out to poolbeg lighthouse and into work. Very slow to get going this morning, so first few KM's were slow, slow, slow as body and mind woke up! Those cobbles on lighthouse wall always make **** of my legs [came off last run out there injured for a week!], so don't think I will be doing this run again pre-Berlin, even if it is beautiful to do in the mornings...

This time next month I will be in the mist of full blown taper madness - cant wait :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Hey Vagga,

Run out poolbeg direction quite a bit but always stop short of those cobbles, your a brave man running on them, I've always seen them as an accident waiting to happen!!!

I finished the FD 10 miler around the same time as you and will be hopping to sneak in under the 3:30 in Berlin, so it looks like we'll be sharing the same stretch of road over there, good luck with the rest of your training.

• Advertisement

Have tiny pain on inside of inner thigh, aka a really small [grade 1] groin strain/pull..

Poxy timing, I totally know it should be fine, and gone in a few days [or so], but this was to be my biggest KM week for Berlin, and it really is the worst time to get any kind of injury...

Bought good strapping for it, wearing now, and a huge box of ibuprofen - and will rediscover religion and say a few prayers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Bought good strapping for it, wearing now, and a huge box of ibuprofen - and will rediscover religion and say a few prayers :)

Bad luck regarding the injury Vagga but take it easy with the ibruprofen* cos if that merely masks the pain it will allow you to do a couple of days of decent mileage but you could well be worsening the injury itself without knowing it, thereby setting you back even further.
    *I'm assuming ibruprofen is the same as nurofen, etc.?

Its ok, taking them more as anti-inflammatories than something to mask pain and keep me running..

The irony is Im pretty sure I had this from weekend and have done 25k on it this week as I thought it was nothing and would go away, and may be able to train fine on it forever, but its a case of treat it now and get it sorted, or risk it becoming grade 2 or 3 and really messing with me..

:mad:

Was told that grade 1's take anywhere from 2 days to 10 days, so for the last two days I have been RICE'ing left leg to death - and thankfully this morning I was doing a couple of stretches for the first time and it seemed fine...

So did a 6.5k on the club track in Irishtown in 37 minutes - no issues or problems..

Did 10 laps, getting a fraction quicker with each lap, starting very slow, and ending doing 2 laps at near marathon pace - and all is well..

Still not doing a LSR tomorrow, just in case, but still aim to do it Sunday - but not sure if Im mad or not, may well pull the plug on that and figure something else out, not sure, will decide 5 min's beforehand..

Saturday 1st:

Terrified of breaking myself so close to Berlin, so took saturday off and did couple stuff, yoga in the phoenix park [really good actually, by the band stand 11am, all ages, shapes and sizes] and then did some c25k with other half and her mate, who I have guilt tripped into doing rathfarnham 5k [along with half my family!]

4k run/walk in 35 mins odd :)

After this I had a TINY groin ache, so rested all evening...

Sunday 2nd:
    Did not know what to do here, risk a long run after a small pain after only 4k yesterday..

In the end I changed my mind 2 or 3 times, and eventually went out at about 10am, missing the boards and club groups in the park, and did it on my own.

Did two laps of the park, paying close attention to my various aches and pains and had on issues or problems at all.

32.5k in 3 hours and 3 min or something... [a fraction faster than any of the 4 20 milers I have done before, which is nice, given I was not pushing it AT ALL] :pac:

Took a gel at 10k and 20k..

Hard work on my own, with no music or anything, a few phantom pains and my hip injuries of a few weeks back were at me a tiny bit right at the end, but after a bath and a small rest its all good.

Very happy to have done it now :)

Oh, forgot, I'm pacing 2 hours for Dublin half in a couple of weeks - excited and honoured :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oh, forgot, I'm pacing 2 hours for Dublin half in a couple of weeks - excited and honoured :)

I saw that. Ryans afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    I saw that. Ryans afterwards?

You buying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You buying?

CL is buying out of last weeks winnings.
    She is reinvesting the money in the sport :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    CL is buying out of last weeks winnings.
    She is reinvesting the money in the sport :D

Excellent, I thought she'd have blown that on EPO by now :D

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Excellent, I thought she'd have blown that on EPO by now :D
    excellent - our very own lance Armstrong :)

No problem buying...

Slept funny or something this morning as awoke and my back is in bits today - really sore...

Life is never easy is it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

You lot can expect your papers as co-defendents in the defamation case I'm instituting first thing tomorrow - get saving!!

Back seems ok now, I walked to work this morning ok...

But at 6am when I tried to run [80-90 min run planned] after a single step it was like getting stabbed in the back with each step...

This "many tiny injuries" thing is getting old now :)

Still cant run - back causes no problems at all doing anything EXCEPT running - went to see a physio near work today [one I have heard good things about], and indeed I was well impressed.

No running this weekend, it came just too soon for me. I have other things in plan to stop myself going bonkers and loosing too much fitness this close to marathon!

So cant run on physio instructions [legs perfect, weird back issue :(], but he wanted me to go for walks, so I was out doing stuff for the time I was due to be running..

Saturday :
    Power walk down the canal, around by Donnybrook, around to Rathmines and home - 70 mins out walking..

Sunday:
    Today, walked the long way up the sugar loaf, about 2 1/2 hours walking in total. Fantastic walk and a really nice day for it..

Its not running and I'm sure I'm losing fitness and gaining weight :mad:, and its a utter pain in the arse I have missed this whole week running, but being active and out doing stuff is something...

Back to physio tomorrow..

So cant run on physio instructions [legs perfect, weird back issue :(], but he wanted me to go for walks, so I was out doing stuff for the time I was due to be running..

Saturday :
    Power walk down the canal, around by Donnybrook, around to Rathmines and home - 70 mins out walking..

Sunday:
    Today, walked the long way up the sugar loaf, about 2 1/2 hours walking in total. Fantastic walk and a really nice day for it..

Its not running and I'm sure I'm losing fitness and gaining weight :mad:, and its a utter pain in the arse I have missed this whole week running, but being active and out doing stuff is something...

Back to physio tomorrow..

Where does that leave you with pacing on Saturday?

Where does that leave you with pacing on Saturday?
    Should be back running in a day or two...

So I hope to be grand well in time for Saturday...

Physio said yesterday I could go back running, but was at pains to stress that I should keep the first two runs way down in terms of speed and they should be of a really short duration [but that I should be fine by the weekend].

Just been for a run and only did 10 minutes, legs are perfect, but one muscle in my back is sore, and basically the only thing which agrivating it is the jerk from running, so it was agony at first and I dont know how much further I could have gone anyway..

So to be fair on everyone I have pulled out of pacing the half at the weekend, easy come - easy go :mad:

With Regard to Berlin, but Im starting to think if Im loosing these two crucial weeks so close to the race, do I turn Berlin it into a fun LSR, and find another marathon a few weeks later to go for 3.30 :(

• Advertisement

Over dosing on bath's and tiger balm - and Im much better. Im maybe not 100% but loads and loads better than earlier in the week.

Physio said I am good to try a 10-15 minute run today [goal simply is clearly that it should not be total agony like Tuesday!], Im at work for an early start now and have something on at lunch, so will do it when I get home. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed.

Im starting to even dream about doing a LSR on Sunday maybe, 15-18 miler to remind my body its a running machine, not a tester in some kind of poo pourri factory :)

Advertisement