Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

10.6 miles in 1.40

After work, midweek long run in the pitch black around the phoenix park, always interesting! My very light weight head torch is very handy [for scaring the crap out of me when deer eyes look at you] but part of it being light weight means its not all that powerful :)

Always hard to do a run like this after a day in work, which makes it a really good workout.

Also booked a nice B&B in central Galway for the weekend of Conn :)

15 and a bit miles in 2 Hours and 15 mins odd...

Was planning to go semi early, but got delayed this morning, so it was after 1 before I got to leave home. Not feeling it today at all, knackered all morning and was really sluggish right from the start, and really needed to zip up the man suit to get it done and not to stop and just get a bus home. Good to get it done, but that is the only bright point.

Not going to make any snap judgments when in this kinda mood. But I hate days like this. On the bright side, I get to go shopping now, so that will sort my day out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Same route myself today and same feeling. Started out fine, but was sure glad to get home. The wind really picked up coming back down Dollymount strand and stayed that way the whole way home.

Right knee sore last night at cinema and again this morning if I turn sharply - doh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Belated congratulations on your engagement. Wishing you all the best.:D

• Advertisement

Totally forgot I had registered to do a Chi Running course with Catherina McKiernan this Saturday. That should be interesting. Have registered to do that course a couple of times, but always had to pull out of it for one reason or another, so good to get it done.

Taking a couple of days off, as my knees were a bit rough Sat/Sun, which Im self diagnosing as runners knee, as I have done zero stretching or strength work since Berlin, which is bold and lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Let us know how you get on Vagga at the Chirunning as Santa brought me a present of a voucher for this as well. Plan to do it in April/May at this stage.

Any voodoo magic to stop getting injured so much, I will take it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I'll see what I can do.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Any voodoo magic to stop getting injured so much, I will take it :)

And I'll take any that's left over :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

chinguetti wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on Vagga at the Chirunning as Santa brought me a present of a voucher for this as well. Plan to do it in April/May at this stage.

He won't turn... I don't think he's turned up for anything since he met his mot ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »

He won't turn... I don't think he's turned up for anything since he met his mot ;)
    Great to see you at matt's party before Christmas btw :)

Great to see you at matt's party before Christmas btw :)

I was there, it's just that I was hanging out with Matt's real friends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I don't think he's turned up for anything since he met his mot ;)

Ah young Digs, i was at the 5k in the Park on New Years Day where i said hello to you and you turned your arse to me. I was talking to your mot on that day by the way. She's more sociable than you btw:p

chinguetti wrote: »
    where i said hello to you and you turned your arse to me. :p

And there was me thinking I was being extra sociable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

And there was me thinking I was being extra sociable ;)

Didn't think that race went through The Furry Glen. :)

Gym during lunch, doing core work and work on glutes to build strength and support etc

Jesus gyms are deathly boring - but I need to do that work regularly if Im to keep strong around there and get better and faster, but Christ its a sacrifice :) ....

Saw this from someone Im linked to on Twitter, must be a couple of folks around here who could do this : http://runwithtina.com/about-run-with-tina/jobs/

Chi Running course out in Castleknock yesterday. Really enjoyable, and well worth a visit from anyone who posts or reads around here :)

14 in the class, from a wide background, from folks only running a few months, to folks who were serious but stopped for some reason and now get injured having gotten back into it, to myself and another lad who did "several" marathons last year. II had booked it in early October, so you will have to book on one in a couple of months time and wait...

Proud to say I had the second worst heel strike of everyone there [she video's you right at the start, and plays them all back later, when you know better!] and a terrible posture, which I always kinda knew was a root cause to my many injury woes. Very strange when you see it on video, and she explains why this is bad and what it could be doing to you. I learned a huge amount from the day, and got a lot of tips and advice I can carry over to every day posture, let alone the running. Brilliant use of a day, for the cost of a couple trips to the physio :)

Maybe an hour of running over the day, easy pace, split over 2 and a bit sessions. Just around car park of hotel, but getting constant feedback and advice.

On another note - Rested knee all week, and ran home from the course [easily, just down chesterfield avenue], and near the end it was pretty sore again. So I need to suck it up and visit physio next week. Must put Donade at huge risk, as I have not gone past 16 miles, and where I should be out doing 22 odd miles right now, Im home resting, with only 5 weeks until the race :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

was this a one day course or are there follow ups?

• Advertisement

@RK - One day

Finally went to physio today about knee, good news, should be back on the road soon. Bloody typical, if I had been into him last week I would be back running already! Damn armchair physios [myself in this case!]

Been doing a fair bit of gym stuff and swimming, so not a bad use of time, a whole crap load of cross training!

First, this is not a "Im too cool for skool and will only update a log every few days" change, just busy :)

Been in the gym or swimming every day, all week. I can actually sorta backstroke now, which is a huge step in terms of water confidence - go me!

Thursday :
    Last night, ran 6 or 7 k odd I would think, and did a BoxFit class with the other half, but a good work out to be honest, despite my reservations :)

Fri Morning:
    A wonderful, fantastic cold, wet and windy run into work, did about 10k or so - focus is 100% on what I learned last weekend, and my posture and running form and trying to change from hell *cough* heel striking to midfoot and all that good stuff. [Clearly wont change over night as I find myself lapsing into old ways now and again, but rome was not built in a day]. Good to see, that while I felt I was going really slowly, it turns out I was doing pretty consistent 5.30 KM's [er..8.45 min/miles?] - so thats not too bad!

Almost got murdered by idiots with unbreallas, give me 5 aul wans with iPOD's, arm in arm, blocking the entire road at a race, ahead of these clowns who clealry have never used an umbrella in the wind :D

And final piece of news, entered the Race Series and DCM this morning - all of the race series bar the 10 miler, as chances are I will be on honeymoon somewhere exotic while that is going on. Loving the comments on DCM facebook, comparing the modest price rise to apartheid! Good to see some people have not lost their sense of perspective!

And final piece of news, entered the Race Series and DCM this morning - all of the race series bar the 10 miler, as chances are I will be on honeymoon somewhere exotic while that is going on. Loving the comments on DCM facebook, comparing the modest price rise to apartheid! Good to see some people have not lost their sense of perspective!

Agree with the DCM facebook "Down with this sort of thing"!

23.25km in 2 Hours and change [14.5 miles or so]

Saturday LSR, a test of the Chi Running stuff on a long distance and it went really well, had to hold back if anything. Did not want to push distance too far, and get injured again :)

My legs tired now, but after 2 weeks out and using a pretty new way of running, therefore using some parts of body differently, sorta expect that. Damn its very cold out there, but I dont care, really do live for this stuff :)

Knee a fraction sore on Sunday, so knocked a planned 15 mile run on the head, as I dont want to mess it up again and have to spend 2 more weeks on sidelines! its not a serious injury anyway, but now Im making progress again, doing something stupid 11 weeks out from Connemara would be....stupid :)

Not too bad today, but will go for a swim at lunch and see if its ok or a bit sore. Also have follow up physio appointment tomorrow anyway, so will get a once over then.

12.15k in 1.05

Woke up early so went out for a very chilly morning run. I love running early morning, and have gotten out of the habit, which is bold! Love seeing the Swans asleep on the canal, the looks from sleepy people going to work like Im insane, let alone getting to see the world wake up, the sun rise and all that kind of stuff :)

New loop, down to the boardwalk along the liffey, over to Samuel Beckett Bridge, and from there up the Canal and all the way over to James Hospital, and from there home, which was just over an hour here, and will be a good and interesting loop for the months ahead.

A lot to take in on the Chi Running stuff, so concentrating on small bits at a time, but again, find myself at 5 min/km's [8 min miles] when still feeling pretty easy, which is a great sign :)

My informal "not really a plan" plan says I should be doing hill sesisons and I have not been doing many, so I was going to do one today. But it was a case of do it in the dark later or find somewhere near work. But alas I work in middle of IFSC, so its flat as a pancake.

So as a brainwave and experiment, I did the hill session over lunch in the gym, on a *cough* treadmill. I use the McMillian site a lot and got a training plan from there before, so they have some treadmill workouts and I wanted to try one of them out for ages.

So..

10 mins warm up at treadmill pace 6.5 [circa 9 miles an hour]

Then 5 sets of this
    • 2 mins at 6 percent grade at 7.5 [circa 8 miles an hour]
    • 1-minute at 0 percent grade at 6.5 [circa 8.30 miles an hour]
    • 2 minute at 7 percent grade at 7.5 [circa 8 miles an hour]
    • 90 seconds 0 percent grade at 6.5 [circa 8.30 miles an hour]
    Then 10 mins to warm down.

On reps 4 and 5 I raised the hill to 8, and pace to 8

Going for just over 55 mins all in all...

It was too easy at the start, I should have raised effort earlier. My legs know they were in a fight now, but Im far from "wrecked" - which I would be after a "proper" hill session.

Is it as good as the hill in Killiney or Howth, or even the Kyber in the park, no, of course not - but its a damn sight better than sitting on my arse at lunch at work, or even doing "junk miles" outside or in gym. I will be doing it again [or something similar!]

great to see that - I'm away with work in a couple of weeks and was thinking of how best to utilise the Gym time - hill reps like this are a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

My informal "not really a plan" plan says I should be doing hill sesisons and I have not been doing many, so I was going to do one today. But it was a case of do it in the dark later or find somewhere near work. But alas I work in middle of IFSC, so its flat as a pancake.

So as a brainwave and experiment, I did the hill session over lunch in the gym, on a *cough* treadmill. I use the McMillian site a lot and got a training plan from there before, so they have some treadmill workouts and I wanted to try one of them out for ages.

So..

10 mins warm up at treadmill pace 6.5 [circa 9 miles an hour]

Then 5 sets of this
    • 2 mins at 6 percent grade at 7.5 [circa 8 miles an hour]
    • 1-minute at 0 percent grade at 6.5 [circa 8.30 miles an hour]
    • 2 minute at 7 percent grade at 7.5 [circa 8 miles an hour]
    • 90 seconds 0 percent grade at 6.5 [circa 8.30 miles an hour]
    Then 10 mins to warm down.

On reps 4 and 5 I raised the hill to 8, and pace to 8

Going for just over 55 mins all in all...

It was too easy at the start, I should have raised effort earlier. My legs know they were in a fight now, but Im far from "wrecked" - which I would be after a "proper" hill session.

Is it as good as the hill in Killiney or Howth, or even the Kyber in the park, no, of course not - but its a damn sight better than sitting on my arse at lunch at work, or even doing "junk miles" outside or in gym. I will be doing it again [or something similar!]

You have one nice hill down the road from you near the ifsc.

Go down by connolly, under the train bridge and turn left. There is a hill there. Not the best part of Dublin though.

Understand the pancake flat though, i have that here in eastpoint!

• Advertisement

Easy run, no garmin or timing device of any kind...

Went to a boxercise class with other half again, but ran there from work [circa 2k] and ran home afterwards via canal [circa 8k]- took the running easy.

I reckon 10k running and I dont care how long it took :)

Advertisement