Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No point in trying to be a hero in the off season :)

Off season? :confused: What is this concept you speak of? :confused:

Feeling that tiredness myself. Time of year maybe, dark mornings and evenings dragging it out of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Jingle Bells 5k, Garmin time 21.09..

Just missing out of my goal of sub-21, but really happy regardless, as its a 36 or 37 second PB. [While leaving a great target for next time, when ever that may be!]

Im making dinner later, so have to change and rush out shopping now, so report tomorrow or something :)

Jingle Bells 5k

Not raced a 5k in 2012, and indeed I only did one in 2011, so I have no idea how to run 5k's - what I did in Dunore 5k 2011 was go off hard and hang on. This time I was going to try and go steady and even though out.

This race was always just something in the calendar to keep me honest and have a target for this part of the year, not life or death or anything. But I did fancy my chances of a PB, on the basis of not doing this distance very often!

My plan was to run for a few miles before and after the race. On way up to the park I was running 10 min miles, just slow and steady. I got chatting with another runner around the courts of justice and we chatted all way to the start line [and it turns out we were not going too far off 8 min miles for that mile or what ever!]. So had done just short on 4 miles before starting race.

Met a couple of lads from the club, and saw a few boards folks at the start, everyone with their game face on, looking all serious.

We went off, and my legs were heavy as lead, really had nothing in them at all. First mile was on target, 6.45 min/mile odd. Around chesterfield avenue I started to wonder about if I was bothered to kill myself for 21 minutes odd, and if I would drop out or turn it into a LSR. But I kept going. But the next mile slowed a bit, and was a 7 min/mile [bonkers to think I was going flat out, for me, and that is sub-3 hour marathon pace!].

Anyway, as what always happens in these things, before you know it, your into mile 3 and you know the end is around the corner, and it turns out its a bit of a downhill section anyway, so I sped up again, doing a 6.36 min/mile or so.

Crossing the line in 21.12 chip time. Just outside target, due to the slowing down a bit in the middle section. But very happy with it overall, and a good blow out.

Ran home straight afterwards, missing RQ's cake in the Dunore club house, as I was cooking dinner Sat night and had to get ready.

Overall just short of 10 miles covered at a large range of paces :)

As an aside, I notice from my calendar, yesterday was 11 weeks to Donadee and 18 to the Conn Ultra :eek:

Oh, I dont think Im arsed about the 10k next week I think - I need to start upping my milage a bit more and there will be loads of other 10k's to target a PB next summer [or just after Conn].

a very chilly 10k in 55 mins odd..

Away in London for work tomorrow, so broke my "dont run on Mondays rule!" - was supposed to be a recovery run but got carried away and just ran free and easy and thought about some real life stuff, running really is great to get your head clear :)

• Advertisement

A freezing cold run home from work, love the looks from strangers like Im insane for running in what must be sub-zero temps in shorts and a tee-shirt [and also the guilty looks from other runners in their hats, gloves, tights, jumpers etc etc]

or am I thinking too much about this :pac:

Just over 9k in just over 50 mins

6 mile run into work, in 51 mins odd

Listening to morning ireland on the radio while running, and politicians make fools of themselves,
    • FG'er trying to stand behind taking 20% of carers while not taking high earners anymore really
    • FF trying to act like this was not all their fault at heart anyway, and trying to break the record for the most times someone can say "tax on family home" in a 5 min conversation
    • Labour trying to work out what all the unemployed PD's are doing now, knowing that is them come the next election.
    As a result, the pace of this run was much faster than planned, as I got carried away with listening to radio :)

On the bright side, the new tax on wine is only on bottles, so we are all going to be back to wine out of those box things :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A freezing cold run home from work, love the looks from strangers like Im insane for running in what must be sub-zero temps in shorts and a tee-shirt [and also the guilty looks from other runners in their hats, gloves, tights, jumpers etc etc]

or am I thinking too much about this :pac:

Just over 9k in just over 50 mins

I wear a windbreaker in this weather while warming up. The looks I got yesterday when I was taking off the jacket or when you're at the lights in a t-shirt and shorts.

Never get why runners feel the need to mill clothes on them in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

it's great weather for the shorts over tights brigade. Whatever else people wear to keep warm, shorts over tights is always wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'll be honest, I wear track pants when out in really cold weather. But then I'm paranoid about keeping my knees covered in freezing temps. I tell myself that the extra wind resistance is good for training. I also wear a full-sleeve baselayer under a summer top and roll up the sleeves on longer runs.

I feel no particular need to prove my hardiness by getting frozen nipples :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Never get why runners feel the need to mill clothes on them in this weather.

Feeling the cold a lot, and due to injury never really moving fast enough to get properly warm?

Feeling the cold a lot, and due to injury never really moving fast enough to get properly warm?
    I would have thought your better half would have gotten you into hot whiskeys and short sprints to the bar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

it's great weather for the shorts over tights brigade. Whatever else people wear to keep warm, shorts over tights is always wrong.

Less wrong than just tights tough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

hardCopy wrote: »
    Less wrong than just tights tough

No, no it's not. I am absolutely confident in that. It's not a matter of opinion, just a simple black and white situation.

vAGGABOND, apologies for the off topic...

3/4 length tights on men is more wrong than shorts over tights, that is just embarrassing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No, no it's not. I am absolutely confident in that. It's not a matter of opinion, just a simple black and white situation.

vAGGABOND, apologies for the off topic...

Any man wearing tights with no shorts must have nothing worth hiding :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Are they tights, leggings or skins??
    Either way - they need to be tight and full length & no shorts.

I went out today in 'skins' with a windbreaker over a long sleeve top (& a hat).
    After 2 miles I was far too warm, but couldn't be bothered to delayer.

Going to man up tomorrow.............

Some real life stuff meant I have to change my plans for this mornings run [which was going to be a 15 miler, featuring the aware 10k during some part of it!]. So in the end I ran at 7.30am or something and I had a hard time limit so had to get somewhat creative in what I did in that time, crossing distance with a jaunt in the park...

In the end just over 14k in 1 Hour 10 Mins

May or may not run tomorrow, depending on how many pints a cat forces me to drink later ;)

Busy for next few weekends, with weddings, family thing and then christmas so a couple of light weeks running ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Tuesday night:
    4.5k in around 25 minutes.

A horrible wet night, and I really did not want to go out. But I forced myself, glad I did.

I also ran without music for the first time, which was interesting. Maybe on the dark winters nights you really have to have your wits about you.
    A friend of mine has a great attitude to exercise, and life in general, she reckons that you might regret drinking,or eating too much, which we all do sometimes, but you never regret taking exercise, even though you might hate wanting to get off the couch but once you make the effort you feel better for it when you have finished.

Stolen from a post I did on this thread

My Goals for 2013 - In Order:

1) Sub-3.30 Marathon in second half of year, somewhere [Amsterdam maybe, Dublin Maybe....]
    2) Sub 6 Hours for Conn Ultra
    3) Sub 1.37 Half

Decided I have next to zero interest in shorter distances, unless Im running for fun or training - I just don't have time to train for 4 or 5 types of events in 2013, I have to target my scarce time on what I really want. So if I happen upon a 5k or 10k PB, happy days, but wont be planning or training for one.

Training:
    a) Enjoyed my Berlin plan as there were many different types of sessions in there and I really thought it worked, and that would have sorted me for sub 3.30 had I not gotten injured late in the day I'm sure. So I'm sticking with the theory/spirit of that for Conn, and just chaining some of the tempo sessions for hills and running longer, earlier in the plan [clearly, since its an ultra Im training for].
    b) Plan to try and keep one speed session a week, for diversity of training and also with an eye on the marathon and half goals, just running 9 min miles all winter wont do that much good.
    c) Get more involved in club sessions, as I only dipped in and out this year. Yes, its somewhat hard with busy work and personal life, but have to make it work if Im to get better.

I have been sorta injury prone over last couple of years, so I need to keep an eye on that with core and strength work and also diet and getting rid of a kilo or two :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I would suggest sharpening up the half time, sub 3:30 fitness should see you comfortably sub 1:35 ;)

13 hour day at work, head wrecked, so stole out for a few miles to clear head and relax a bit when I got home...

5 and a bit miles in 45 mins

Really nice out there actually, and not many about it being Monday and on the cold side. So had the canal almost to myself and my thoughts :)
    I would suggest sharpening up the half time, sub 3:30 fitness should see you comfortably sub 1:35
    I wish! No harm in aiming high tho and I guess your right, if I really am to be in 3.30 shape, I should be shooting for that kind of half time.

13.5k in 1.17

Midweek long run from work, out to phoenix park, using my new head torch for the first time. My plan was to do a couple of hill repeats. But running up Kyber, in pitch dark, only for torch [for first of 2 or 3 planned rep's] I very nearly **** myself, when a deer ran out in-front of me and then a number of sets of deer eyes came near me - clearly the park is the deers home, but their sudden appearance just surprised the hell out of me.

So I just did a half lap of the park and looped around home.

Wide awake before 6am this morning, so I did what any "sane" runner does, I went out and did an unplanned 10k :)

Usual morning route around town here and there, and eventually home via the canal - and not a sinner was seen running at all. It was indeed chilly, but I think some man suits need zipping up :) - that said, I really enjoy running around Stephens green and what not, and no feckers shopping to get in my way.

Work Christmas party tonight and away at a wedding at the weekend, so this is my running done for the week. My target for this week [and next] is to get 20 miles done, as there are only a few days I can run, so happy enough with that.

10.5k in just over 56 mins

4 miles in 36 mins odd...

A run home from work, after a weekend away at a wedding. I was wheezing from my chest, and had breathing issues, so should not have bothered here to be honest. Going to take a few days off running and get well, it being Christmas week Im sure I will find something to occupy my time!

6 miles this morning - first run in a week, had a cold I could not shift, not helped with being out eating or drinking in one form or another basically every night due to it being my mum's 70's and us making a big deal around that and also the fact I got engaged :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Congrats on the life sentence Vagga ;)

This is why one joins a club, sessions with a group often make you work much harder than you do on your own.

I went out on a club LSR, and ran with the Crusaders cross country super stars ladies and a few others - and therefore when we were on road bits we were doing around 8 min miles, which after a couple of weeks sick and also a week of christmas food and drink was a serious hard effort. It was all I was able to do, to keep up at times [pace slowed a tad when we went off road, onto the trails around the park, thank god!].

But a really good and hard session and just what I needed after Christmas excesses...

Overall 13 and a bit miles in around 1.55..

New Years Day: 8.5 miles in 1.16

Huge hungover breakfast, a short walk, and then a huge still a fraction hungover lunch. I shudder to think of the calories consumed between New Years Eve and those meals alone. So I got out in the only short window I had yesterday and did a few hard "belly full" miles.

Its been the best Christmas period in my entire life for everything bar running, and that is just fine! But I had planned to do far more than I have actually done, between getting sick and social engagements many runs got knocked on the head. With Donade less than 7 weeks away [and the Conn Ultra less than 13] I need to ramp up milage big time this week. Also back on the horse diet wise, as I am not going near a scales for a while, but have no doubt Im 2 or 3 KG's bigger than I was a couple of weeks ago [but MAAAAN were they worth it!]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Congrats on getting engaged.

Advertisement