Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anglo Staff Member Commits Suicide - Sean Fitzpatrick still laughing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Fitzpatrick is down to €188 a month. . . and the c*nt still has more cash than I do. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Wagon wrote: »
    You sir, are an idiot of the highest order.

Again, you aren't the sharpest knife in the box are you? It's about a man who was destroyed by the public.

Well, if you are getting abused every day to the point that you feel the world is better off without you, it can skew someones view on what is selfish and what is not.

People still can't get their head around that the man obviously thought he was doing something beneficial for people by taking his own life (again, getting abused frequently every day of your working week for something that is far from your would be enough to bring anyone down). The fact that people are still inclined to blame things entirely on him and not on the people who dragged him there, is fairly disturbing.

The people who dragged him there probably didn't think as a group that that would be the end result. They'd been dragged to the state of hurling abuse at employees by the company that employed him.

I've tremendous sympathy for the man, suicide is a terrible thing and it's sad he thought that was his best option, but I'm not sure I'd blame the people who were driven to insult someone else because Anglo Irish helped make them paupers. Well, maybe a tiny bit each.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Condolances to the family

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Folks lets not resort to any further personal abuse. If you disagree with the poster argue with the points they make.
    Personal abuse will earn you a ban as has already happened with a number of posts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Folks lets not resort to any further personal abuse. If you disagree with the poster argue with the points they make.
    Personal abuse will earn you a ban as has already happened with a number of posts here.

I never said anything about the poster in question but ony made reference to the statementes they had made and yet the post was still deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Morlar wrote: »
    RIP to the family. Fitzpatrick on the other hand should be in prison.

Can anyone explain what this is about ?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/wife-worth-euro3m-as-seanie-laughs-all-the-way-to-court-2349465.html
    That my friend is about cute hoorism, sure how did you do it Seanie and isn't terrible that they are coming after you after all the good work that you've done. It's about a sickness that has festered in this country since its foundation, we got rid of the British but we have kept the school tie system and the old boys club that they have managed to shrug off.

It is what is truly wrong with this country, from these ranks will come our future judges and law makers and they are having tea with a man who has heralded the ruination of this state. This country needs to wake up, we are acting like 19th century serfs tugging our forelocks to these bottom feeders and confidence tricksters. They have presided over what may very well be the economic destruction of our nation and they have the gall to celebrate (or commiserate) with one of its principle architects.

The Greeks said that they are not like the Irish but its the absolute contempt shown to the people of this nation by these parasites that makes me wish that we had a bit more Greek in us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Snakeblood wrote: »
    ...but I'm not sure I'd blame the people who were driven to insult someone else because Anglo Irish helped make them paupers. Well, maybe a tiny bit each.

There are people going in shouting abuse at staff in all the banks. And knowing people in my family who work in banks, the people who give the worst abuse are NOT the people who are now broke. They are people who have money but no manners and are using the recession to hurl abuse and get out of paying. Genuinely hard up people are not usually as bad, aparently.

Also people who work as cashiers are not paid huge salaries, and they have no say in company policy so they don't deserve to be abuse and spat upon (yes, that has happened) doing their jobs while the people who actually caused the problem never meet the public and get chauffeur driven to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Shows you how much the Irish public doesn't know how to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

kylith wrote: »
    It's not selfish to have no consideration for the people who found his body? or for his wife and how she's going to cope without her husband? or for his children who will grow up fatherless? or for his family and friends who will forever blame themselves for 'not seeing it' and wondering why he didn't talk to them about his problems?

I have nothing but sympathy for this poor man, but suicide is never a selfless act, no matter what the person may think at the time. His family will never get over this, and that is selfishness on his part; ending his own problems, but heaping 10 times the amount on his family.

This tbh.
    If his job was the reason his mental health degraded then he should have just quit. Of course I'm sure it wasn't as simple as that, but you can't really blame Sean Fitzpatrick nor the angry customers.

There are people going in shouting abuse at staff in all the banks. And knowing people in my family who work in banks, the people who give the worst abuse are NOT the people who are now broke. They are people who have money but no manners and are using the recession to hurl abuse and get out of paying. Genuinely hard up people are not usually as bad, aparently.

Also people who work as cashiers are not paid huge salaries, and they have no say in company policy so they don't deserve to be abuse and spat upon (yes, that has happened) doing their jobs while the people who actually caused the problem never meet the public and get chauffeur driven to work.

No, they don't deserve it, but I understand why people are doing it. Anglo Irish **** the bed, and everyone else is being asked to clean it up.

If I was rich (I'm not) and I was being asked to give a huge amount of money to fix a mistake I didn't make, I'd be pissed off too. I'm poor and I'm also pissed off at being asked to give a huge amount of money. I don't think receiving abuse is part of Anglo Irish customer service job description but I have a certain amount of understanding for why it is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Shows you how much the Irish public doesn't know how to complain.

..all they have to do now is aim it all at the right people...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There never is and never was any point venting anger on the minions, because any shady deals done by the hierarchy would have been buried away from prying eyes.

People are better off getting organised, and trying to find a legal method of nailing the shady bastards involved in bringing Ireland to its knees.

I get the impression that bankruptcy proceedings against the perpetrators, are being delayed, so that they can shift their assets around, and avoid getting financially wiped out. I think that anything that got "transferred" more than two years prior to bankruptcy gets ignored, and that most of the wheeler-dealing took place more than two years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

latenia wrote: »
    I'm not going to comment further because I'm only getting people's hackles up and the aftermath of this incident is the wrong time to make this point. At this stage every single staff member at Anglo is fully aware that they're in receipt of stolen money-the honourable thing to do would be to resign enmasse.

I know somebody that works in Anglo: just a lad with a family doing a normal job in tough times.

Your post(s) utterly beggar belief and surely must be taking the piss.

Grow up.

Anybody heckling normal front-line staff a-la Anglo want their heads kicked in. Imbeciles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. There is always a better option.

No there is not always a better option.
    Some people do not want to on this earth and while this sucks, it is the individuals choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Funnily enough, I do. There was a time in the past that I contemplated it myself. I have friends who were preparing to do it. I know people who have found the bodies. I lived for a while in fear that I would come home and find my manic depressive housemate hanging from the bannister.

Luckily, when I was thinking about it I realised what it would do to my parents to find me, and my siblings to live with the guilt that they should somehow have known and done something, and the fact that the people I would be killing myself to escape from wouldn't actually give a **** that I was dead.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. There is always a better option.

I'll thank you not to assume what I have a clue about.
    +1, you hit the nail on the head with this post. As a country we have a problem with suicide, especially young people taking their lives. While I personally understand how people can feel that it is the only way out this post shows that suicide is not a solution in these circumstances. It is nothing more than the creator of problems and pain for your loved ones. I fear we are going to see the suicide rates in this country shoot up in the coming years.

Remember that while it may not seem like it all your problems are small beans, you are going to be dead forever, don't try to cash in early no matter how bad the cards are falling because once your out you can't buy back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Insurgent wrote: »
    You obviously don't know "full well" about suicide.

I do actually. See i'm not just someone who hasn't expierenced this type of stuff in my life. My grandma's next door neightbour(who I knew very well, as he used to mind me) committed suicide 10 years ago. my cousin tried to do it last week, so I'm well aware of it, and the impact it has on peoples lives, As well a reading up on it. Committing suicide isn't something that should be accepted as simply as you people make it out to be. The fact that the guy did it and the reasons he did, is sad, but the impact it would have on his family, are a far bigger then you can imagine. He has a wife with two nine month old daughters. I would never ever want to abandon my family by doing such a thing and having them fend for themselves. I just don't see this particular suicide as an excuse to feel sorry for the guy like you do.
    Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Stop kidding yourself.

How about you add something to the argument instead of criticising posters who have a different view to you
    deisedevil wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with being selfish. Probably the most ignorant post I have read in some time. Even for after hours!

Nothing to do? Now who's being ignorant. You do realise that there are people who have died at young ages, who didn't want/need to die don't you. People who are fathers, husbands, brothers, sisters, sons, daugthers etc who for no reason other then beause it's nature have died due to things such as cancer, aids, heartattacks or any other sickness that can kill. People who have died in their sleep, people who have drop dead for no reason. Sh!t like that. Then you have this guy who voluntarilly ends his life. Those people that I mentioned who die through unexpected things, they didn't ask to die. They didn't want their lives to end, yet they had no choice. They couldn't decided whether to live or die. In the process some of them may have left their families in a very bad way. But this guy, he did have a choice and he chose the selfish way. So excuse me if I don't feel sympathetic to his cause but there is a bigger picture here. Something you and the other posters who I have quoted in my post, don't seem to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't see why the article needed to suggest that the reason he killed himself was because of the abuse he sometimes got. Many bankers receive abuse and don't commit suicide. It's a tragic story, as all suicides are.. but there's no need to put the blame on to people who have criticised the banking sector over the last few years, that's no way to deal with suicide.. by shifting the responsibility on to the wider public. Of course having said that, abusing individuals who were only doing their job is retarded.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There never is and never was any point venting anger on the minions, because any shady deals done by the hierarchy would have been buried away from prying eyes.

People are better off getting organised, and trying to find a legal method of nailing the shady bastards involved in bringing Ireland to its knees.

I get the impression that bankruptcy proceedings against the perpetrators, are being delayed, so that they can shift their assets around, and avoid getting financially wiped out. I think that anything that got "transferred" more than two years prior to bankruptcy gets ignored, and that most of the wheeler-dealing took place more than two years ago.

Who said there was a point to it?

Whoever is responsible for it should be shot with balls of their own sh!te, I'm just saying I find it somewhat understandable that people are venting at a representative of the company that helped pauperise a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Two thumbs up to the Tribune for including the number for the Samaritans at the end of the article. Very useful number, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I don't see why the article needed to suggest that the reason he killed himself was because of the abuse he sometimes got. Many bankers receive abuse and don't commit suicide. It's a tragic story, as all suicides are.. but there's no need to put the blame on to people who have criticised the banking sector over the last few years, that's no way to deal with suicide.. by shifting the responsibility on to the wider public. Of course having said that, abusing individuals who were only doing their job is retarded.
    The article didn't really need to suggest it, the chain of events makes it quite clear what led to the change in his emotional state.

As for the issue in general, one hopes that the "**** the bankers" attitude of some people may change to reflect who was actually responsible for the situation rather than the current stupidly generalised term which is constantly thrown around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Whoever is responsible for it should be shot with balls of their own sh!te, I'm just saying I find it somewhat understandable that people are venting at a representative of the company that helped pauperise a nation.

The "mob" thinks there's a point to it.

I'd understand it if they went after the right people, but they're not going to find any of them in their local branch, or any other branch for that matter. Until someone decides to go after the big knobs, people like Fitzpatrick will continue laughing their heads off, because they've still got lots of arse-licking friends in high places, who are going to help them to get away with what they've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Riddle101 wrote: »
    But this guy, he did have a choice and he chose the selfish way. So excuse me if I don't feel sympathetic to his cause but there is a bigger picture here. Something you and the other posters who I have quoted in my post, don't seem to understand

Your opinion is ludacris, t's actually sickening to think that that's your attitude. It's not selfish, it's a tragedy. You should count yourself lucky that you have never gotten so low in your life that you yourself have contemplated it, I couldn't even imagine how empty he must have felt. Imagine the pain in ending your life, it must have been going through his head for years.

I can see your point on the family issue, of course it's horrible for them but my God if they were able to put themselves in his head for one day to see what exactly he was enduring then by golly I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted to see him get worse and worse and worse. Some people get to a stage where they've gone too far imo, and obviously he was one of these people. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

It is understandable, insofar as it is understandable that some people are incredibly stupid and don't give a sh*t about anyone except themselves. Did this customer rep cause the banking crisis? Did he squander billions of taxpayers' money? Of course not. But the mob decided he did, and now he's dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

Venting is one thing which in fairness is all a lot of people are doing and when savings etc are at stake it's understandable that people will get very irate & frustrated. What's not cool is the type of people who expect a CS agent to move the earth for them and satisfy ridiculous demands. Some of them will even create a personal vendetta and post all sorts of crap on the internet about you.

People need to understand that CS agents are restricted by the rules set out by the company that they work for and sometimes have no great grá for that particular company themselves. While I don't like being described as a representative of the company I work for , to the customer I am. Just remember that I'm the guy with a phone and a PC ( that is slow and needs updates ) who can't give you what you want\need if the company says it's not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Sean Fitzpatrick should be tried for economic treason.

The people who bailed Anglo should be tried for economic treason. Remember Anglo was a private little bank. Now Anglo is a stone around our neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

gizmo wrote: »
    The article didn't really need to suggest it, the chain of events makes it quite clear what led to the change in his emotional state.

As for the issue in general, one hopes that the "**** the bankers" attitude of some people may change to reflect who was actually responsible for the situation rather than the current stupidly generalised term which is constantly thrown around.

It's one chain of events.. nobody knows what else was happening in the guys life that may have lent itself to his decision to end it. I just think it's a bit rich for the media to be playing it up as an act of escape from the public when they've been the ones stoking the fire for the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's one chain of events.. nobody knows what else was happening in the guys life that may have lent itself to his decision to end it. I just think it's a bit rich for the media to be playing it up as an act of escape from the public when they've been the ones stoking the fire for the last 2 years.
    +1

Another article could have just as easily slanted it to point out that the changes in his behaviour came about after his children were born. Male Post-Partum Depression is hardly unheard of. Not to mention that his wife left work at the same time, leaving him as the sole bread-winner, which is a very high-pressure situation to be in.

Does that mean his wife and kids are to blame for his suicide? Of course not, but neither is it the fault of Anglo-Irish, the members of the public who shouted towards him, Dail Eireann, the recession, Liverpool losing against Man Utd or any of the other 3000 factors which may have caused him to decide suicide was the answer.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Your opinion is ludacris, t's actually sickening to think that that's your attitude. It's not selfish, it's a tragedy. You should count yourself lucky that you have never gotten so low in your life that you yourself have contemplated it, I couldn't even imagine how empty he must have felt. Imagine the pain in ending your life, it must have been going through his head for years.

I can see your point on the family issue, of course it's horrible for them but myGod if they were able to put themselves in his head for one day to see what exactly he was enduring then by golly I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted to see him get worse and worse and worse. Some people get to a stage where they've gone too far imo, and obviously he was one of these people. RIP

In other words try walking a mile in the mans feet before judging him right. Like I said before, i'm not so distanced to suicide that i haven't expierenced it first hand. My cousin like I said before tried it last week. But unlike this guy, I could understand why my cousin might have. He was burned as a child and was horribly scarred in the face when he was 8. His father was an alcholic who used to beat his mother, and eventually walked out on his family. His mother died 4 years ago, leaving his eldest sister of 18 to take care of him and his younger sister of 13, he was 15 at the time. Despite all that, the family have had to deal with his mothers alcholism problem as well before she died, so they had a pretty rough life and the only one who was close enough to a parent was their grandmother who is now in a retirement home unable to take care of herself now. Now my family, and our relatives have all tried to help out and support them as best we could, but in the end they had a lot to deal with. A lot of traumatic stuff happen. Now ask yourself this, compare my cousin's story to this man's and tell me which is the better grounds to commit suicide. Now luckily we managed to stop my cousin before anything bad really happened almost bearly, but i'm not so blind that I don't understand it. BTW I know it's wrong to be comparing those type of stories, it a terrible thing really but in the interest of whether people think the guy committing suicide is reasonable enough, I just want people to know that there are a lot worse off people. Maybe the guy was far to gone to understand it, but my heart goes out to the family.

Like I said before, it's tragic and I guess in some ways feel sorry for him, I really do. But the idea of how his family will cope is what i'm thinking about

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

+1, you hit the nail on the head with this post. As a country we have a problem with suicide, especially young people taking their lives. While I personally understand how people can feel that it is the only way out this post shows that suicide is not a solution in these circumstances. It is nothing more than the creator of problems and pain for your loved ones. I fear we are going to see the suicide rates in this country shoot up in the coming years.

Remember that while it may not seem like it all your problems are small beans, you are going to be dead forever, don't try to cash in early no matter how bad the cards are falling because once your out you can't buy back in.

You might want to reconsider your sig. if this is your opinion... pretty bad taste in the light of this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Fraught mental states are just that - it isn't a pissing contest of which had the better 'grounds', the worse childhood trauma, for killing themselves. Really, Riddle101, for someone who claims to have experience of the phenomenon of suicide you're being remarkably insensitive. Suicide has major consequences and repercussions for family members, this is not being denied, but the people who do it are ill, not selfish. It's just needlessly judgmental language you're using.

Advertisement