Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some welcomed additions to wexford shops!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

well "Haven" has closed its doors on the quay ... i thought that was a nice enough little place for the odd few pints on saturday before moving off somewhere else... just didnt do the trade during the week .....

springsteens has closed its doors and will be reopening next week into a nightclub venue mainly promoting live bands so ive heard ! so one door shuts another opens....

and looking forward to the thomas moore tavern reopening again ! loch garman abu !

When did Haven close Warrior? I was only saying last night we should go down for a few this weekend! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

hi zane, closed last thursday ... but i think mooneys may be taking springsteens and that part of the place over and doing a nightclub type thingin there and getting live bands in n stuff again.. tryin to do what it was like years ago so ive heard... went by there last night and there was people workingin therelate into the night... bouncer on the new mooneys told me itd be open for this friday but not sure on that... will have a gander when i pass by this evening and let you know tomorrow !

any other interesting info on places opening or new business coming to wexford from anybody ?

(Kinda) Bad News.

Byrnes Clonard is closing down in 6 weeks. Feel bad for the staff. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

Zhane wrote: »
    (Kinda) Bad News.

Not the best location where they are - they might have done better around near Woodies/Hickeys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

hi zane, closed last thursday ... but i think mooneys may be taking springsteens and that part of the place over and doing a nightclub type thingin there and getting live bands in n stuff again.. tryin to do what it was like years ago so ive heard... went by there last night and there was people workingin therelate into the night... bouncer on the new mooneys told me itd be open for this friday but not sure on that... will have a gander when i pass by this evening and let you know tomorrow !

any other interesting info on places opening or new business coming to wexford from anybody ?

New Mooneys night club is open now, havent been in it yet so dont know what is like...
    Springsteens has re-opened where Haven was...
    Was reading in the papers that work is to re-start on the Library..

• Advertisement

Big Vern wrote: »
    New Mooneys night club is open now, havent been in it yet so dont know what is like...
    Springsteens has re-opened where Haven was...
    Was reading in the papers that work is to re-start on the Library..

Any idea who is taking on the library job?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Bazbu wrote: »
    Any idea who is taking on the library job?

Just seen the headline, but will find out for you..think i still have the paper at home...

i was in the new mooneys nightclub and to be hoenst its springsteens with a few disco lights.... very disappointing...it still has the feel of an american roadhouse and the opening night was just full of farmers basically... people in baseball caps and the sort.... we had a look in the new mooneys bar area just before and nobody in there.... band playing to themselves.

shocking. this was onthe friday night though... dont think they dont much advertising about it....

ive been aorund town a good bit the last few months and the pubs are dying a death.... friday nghts have gone completely i think except for the few usual strongholds.... maggie mays, sky and the ground, mackens and an ok crowd in T Morris..and stores of course... but pubs whwre there usually was a bit of a crowd seem to be empty.... only night now really is saturday night but i dont go out saturday nights much these days but know peoplre who do and they say its always packed....

i guess people are just saving money now...drinking at home... going out late, and doing it once a week now instead of 3 or 4 times like it was ....

recession has hit wexford hard alright... shops closing down... blue mountain gone etc.... needs investment badly now.....

wonder how that court proceedings is going regarding right of way in the old tesco site and when that will finally come to a head !!

dunnes are mad to move out of redmond square but is there any builder willing to even do a small scale shopping centre in this town.... the only town in Ireland without one id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Disagree re Mooneys, its very similar to the way it used to be and the new upstairs bar part is cool.

i like the upstairs bar part in mooneys and the place has potential definately but they havnt done anything with it since it was springsteens... its the very same with some lights down the back.... zero vision !

place could be a great little small club if done right.... and in my humbled opinion...it isnt done at all ! what was it like when you were in there??? friday or saturday night ??? and was there a crowd???

also why doesnt someone open late in wexford on Tuesday night... chocolate have monday and wednesday ... stoes the other nights... but tuesday is just a no goer... if you had free entrance into the club and late opening i think there is potential to draw a crowd....

the emergence of CARLOW i.t in the town means there students waiting to get drunk .... someone should exploit that and also give us regular punters somewhere to go on tuesday as well or at least have the option ! :)

• Advertisement

i was in the new mooneys nightclub and to be hoenst its springsteens with a few disco lights.... very disappointing...it still has the feel of an american roadhouse and the opening night was just full of farmers basically... people in baseball caps and the sort.... we had a look in the new mooneys bar area just before and nobody in there.... band playing to themselves.

shocking. this was onthe friday night though... dont think they dont much advertising about it....

ive been aorund town a good bit the last few months and the pubs are dying a death.... friday nghts have gone completely i think except for the few usual strongholds.... maggie mays, sky and the ground, mackens and an ok crowd in T Morris..and stores of course... but pubs whwre there usually was a bit of a crowd seem to be empty.... only night now really is saturday night but i dont go out saturday nights much these days but know peoplre who do and they say its always packed....

i guess people are just saving money now...drinking at home... going out late, and doing it once a week now instead of 3 or 4 times like it was ....

recession has hit wexford hard alright... shops closing down... blue mountain gone etc.... needs investment badly now.....

wonder how that court proceedings is going regarding right of way in the old tesco site and when that will finally come to a head !!

dunnes are mad to move out of redmond square but is there any builder willing to even do a small scale shopping centre in this town.... the only town in Ireland without one id say.

Dunnes is moving out of there?

Hmmm the shopping centre idea is a tough one, its been branded around for a while eg. Trinity Wharf. But we have a really unique Main street I think a shopping centre would absolutely kill it. There are three problems for shop owners on the main street. 1. Rents. (they have not fallen). 2. Rates. (the CC do nothing to help people with high rate bills). 3. Parking. too expensive and the best carpark is at the most southern south of the town, meaning Selskar/north main street suffers. Both Dunnes carparks are always nearly over crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Hmmm the shopping centre idea is a tough one, its been branded around for a while eg. Trinity Wharf. But we have a really unique Main street I think a shopping centre would absolutely kill it. There are three problems for shop owners on the main street. 1. Rents. (they have not fallen). 2. Rates. (the CC do nothing to help people with high rate bills). 3. Parking. too expensive and the best carpark is at the most southern south of the town, meaning Selskar/north main street suffers. Both Dunnes carparks are always nearly over crowded.

I agree a shopping centre would kill the main street. Just because everywhere else in the world has shopping centres doesnt mean Wexford has to. Every town in Ireland is already starting to look like every town in the UK.

I would like to see someone building some sort of roof on the main st :pac:

ok well the shopping centre thing is a "whatever" for me at this stage but the rates and rents thing especially being "only upward" is ridiculous... half the reason so many places have closed down... its a different climate now and whoever came up with this idea of "upwards only rent" ... absolute scandal!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eliza1

I think upward only rents are now illegal for new leases? Although I guess there are many locked into long term leases still with this clause. I didn't realise Dunnes were moving out of Redmond Sq - where are they going to??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The Main Street is better than any shopping centre as for Trinity Warf it was never going to happen there was too many problems with it to build it, Rents won't fall to many differant owners, People do park in Tesco and shop on the town which is something Tesco don't like and will probably do something about that soon and there is ony one Dunnes carpark in Redmond Sq the Keyser Lane's carpark has nothing to do with Dunnes Stores.

Parking has become a large problem for people the feel that they have a human right to a parking space

The Pub trade has been declining since the 80's through various changes so its nothing to do with the recession a ban on cheap alcohol prices in supermarkets would help this area. Shops allways close up in the new year window between feb and april its the worst time for most retail, easter going into summer begins to pick up with christmas been the peak time thats why so many places open between september and december.

Dunnes are not moving so I don't know why you make this remark if it wasn't for those B'N'B's Dunnes would have built a massive retail store with more parking spaces and all that jazz.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    The Main Street is better than any shopping centre as for Trinity Warf it was never going to happen there was too many problems with it to build it, Rents won't fall to many differant owners, People do park in Tesco and shop on the town which is something Tesco don't like and will probably do something about that soon and there is ony one Dunnes carpark in Redmond Sq the Keyser Lane's carpark has nothing to do with Dunnes Stores.

Parking has become a large problem for people the feel that they have a human right to a parking space

It doesnt matter who owns it at the end of the day. Its still expensive, and over crammed.

Is Byrnes in Clonard closing down? Anyone know exactly when?

Thanks

Bazbu wrote: »
    Is Byrnes in Clonard closing down? Anyone know exactly when?

Thanks

Yes no exact date was given though a couple of weeks ago they said 6 weeks so a month perhaps. The reason they gave for the closure was a poor trade in december due to the snow but realistically I would put the closure down to poor location outside the town centre and the decline in the toy trade over the past few years children tend to want the newest phone, ipod, and laptop etc etc around Christmas not toys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

(Kinda) Bad News.

That's been on the cards for a long time as they are exiting the main toy trade and putting more work into their books, stationery & newsagent business.

I don't think it was any surprise to the staff.

• Advertisement

BPM is closing leaving Wexford with the dreadful Whites as the only place to buy CDs and lets face it Ticketmaster is really whats keeping Whites in business as the CD selection is plain dreadful, Its a sign of the times I suppose I used to be a regular customer between 02 and 08 but with Cd's cheaper to buy on the Internet and you didn't have to wait weeks to get a hard to find album I stopped shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

BPM is closing leaving Wexford with the dreadful Whites as the only place to buy CDs and lets face it Ticketmaster is really whats keeping Whites in business as the CD selection is plain dreadful, Its a sign of the times I suppose I used to be a regular customer between 02 and 08 but with Cd's cheaper to buy on the Internet and you didn't have to wait weeks to get a hard to find album I stopped shopping there.

And most people just use cd shops to find out what they want to download later anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Any idea what's happening in the site where Blue Mountain was?,saw it being gutted yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

All the BPM shops are closing. The Waterford one has been going for 23 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Its always sad to see shops closing down but I could never understand how Blue Mountain stayed open. The prices they charged were ridiculous, I once bought a jumper in there for €50 - which is bad enough - marked down from €90! It was a hoodie, nothing special about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Deegan's Discount Stores closed but it's becoming a card shop (Card King i think).

(same owner)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Ledger wrote: »
    Deegan's Discount Stores closed but it's becoming a card shop (Card King i think).

(same owner)

Where abouts is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Where abouts is this?

Beside Sheridan Insurances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

David900 wrote: »
    Where abouts is this?

about 100 yards down from whites on the main street, just up from the side of the stores.

• Advertisement

shocker! used to shop in BPM all the time in waterford and wexford.terrible news but the way of the world at the moment.... the internet is killing music big time!

Advertisement