Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some welcomed additions to wexford shops!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Corvo

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Updates;

Noticed that bin bags are being used to screen the window and work is going on within Allure, the former lingerie shop in Henrietta Street, so looks like a new business on the way.

Also shelving was being moved this morning into the long-time empty retail unit between the shoe shop and hairdresser's in South Main Street opposite Doyle's Bookmakers, and work was going on inside kitting it out.

And the Fun Palace opened on the Quay in the former Joyce's store last Monday (13th).

Oh great...Allure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Moved yesterday, kmurph, and the new shop in SMS IS O'Neill's, the replacement to the one at the corner of King Street which has closed. Both shops moved on the one day? Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

Home Stores and More - just opened opposite Joyces. Great addition to Wexford....badly needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Nice shop alright. It has a lot of useful stuff. Not the cheapest though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Go nuts for donuts in Courtown does the most gorgeous donuts and crepes I have ever had. Yum yum. Its only open a few weeks beside flanagans warf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

Scup ice cream parlour opened in the old cornmarket entrance on the main street, dreams - tea and spice shop opened where the O.C. used to be and just up from there a new shop selling coffee's/tea's/ shakes and pastrys for take away, europrice on the main street where adams kids used to be has opened, south 51 renamed to the Tavern, coleman doyles petshop has moved a few doors up and work going on in his old pet shop premises i think for the chinese restaurant beside, permanent tsb have moved to where wrights insurance was and voila has opened on the main street where robe used to be AND Corrys is finally up for sale !

it will be interesting to see if there is any takers.... lets hope someone does and somthing good goes in there... we need someone like H&M or a River Island type of thing going on in there.

I was in clonmel recently...shocked to find an M&S up there and all sorts... Clonmel has a smaller population than wexford going so lets see what happens. it'll be interesting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Scup ice cream parlour opened in the old cornmarket entrance on the main street, dreams - tea and spice shop opened where the O.C. used to be and just up from there a new shop selling coffee's/tea's/ shakes and pastrys for take away, europrice on the main street where adams kids used to be has opened, south 51 renamed to the Tavern, coleman doyles petshop has moved a few doors up and work going on in his old pet shop premises i think for the chinese restaurant beside, permanent tsb have moved to where wrights insurance was and voila has opened on the main street where robe used to be AND Corrys is finally up for sale !

it will be interesting to see if there is any takers.... lets hope someone does and somthing good goes in there... we need someone like H&M or a River Island type of thing going on in there.

I was in clonmel recently...shocked to find an M&S up there and all sorts... Clonmel has a smaller population than wexford going so lets see what happens. it'll be interesting anyway.

I agree, something like a H&M or Next would be great for Wexford!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

Corries is a massive store as well... i remember being inside years ago and it has 3 floors of space and like it says in the ad... double frontage on to the main street as well as an alternative entrance/exit onto mallon street at the back where the brand spanking new library will be unvieled and en-route to the opera house as well... that is some crazy footfall oppertunity and also it will always be in peoples faces no matter what direction you take...

hopefully a big store takes it on!

The work beside the Lotus House is for an off-licence.

Permanent TSB have taken up the ground and first floors of the old Arachas/Wrights building, while Wrights Insurance Brokers occupy the 2nd floor.

Where is the tea and spice shop?

I also notice a new cafe - Cream on Henrietta street

Agree with the thoughts on M&S. Would be a fantastic addition and would rival Tesco for choice of goods

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Forgot to update but ex-Allure on Henrietta Street is a new hairdresser's, work has been going on in fits and starts on the former FAS office opposite, the graphic designer place is empty and undergoing renovations.

There's a recently opened tattoo parlour opposite Buggy's Sports on Cinema Lane.

Re. the former pet shop next to the Lotus House, Griffin1988, are you sure it's for another offie? LH previously had planning permission application in their window stating they intended to expand into that unit.

• Advertisement

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Forgot to update but ex-Allure on Henrietta Street is a new hairdresser's, work has been going on in fits and starts on the former FAS office opposite, the graphic designer place is empty and undergoing renovations.

There's a recently opened tattoo parlour opposite Buggy's Sports on Cinema Lane.

Re. the former pet shop next to the Lotus House, Griffin1988, are you sure it's for another offie? LH previously had planning permission application in their window stating they intended to expand into that unit.

It will be their expansion. They will own the offie. Strange, with the Carryout across the way and the supermarket (mainly Tesco) cleaning up.

I hear there has been some heat from the authorities regarding it being built, due to the already many youngsters who hang around that area looking for drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

Lotus House is interested in the delivery of alcohol to people's homes along with their takeaway. Lotus needed their own off licence in order to provide this service to customers.

The issue brought up in court today was only on this.

Does anyone have any views on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

00011000 wrote: »
    Lotus House is interested in the delivery of alcohol to people's homes along with their takeaway. Lotus needed their own off licence in order to provide this service to customers.

The issue brought up in court today was only on this.

Does anyone have any views on this?

Yeh, will they sell it as cheap as Tesco ?:rolleyes: Hardly

vicwatson wrote: »

Exactly. Would rather walk up and grab a crate and walk home with it!

Plus, you can guarantee that the whole point of them selling drink with it would be the nice mark-up on it. For instance, if you are sitting at home and feel too lazy to cook something and want a few beers, you might take the extra hit on the price simply because it would be delivered right to you.

Also, would this not cause huge problems regarding under-age drinking? Will the delivery man be arsed asking for ID?

Exactly. Would rather walk up and grab a crate and walk home with it!

Plus, you can guarantee that the whole point of them selling drink with it would be the nice mark-up on it. For instance, if you are sitting at home and feel too lazy to cook something and want a few beers, you might take the extra hit on the price simply because it would be delivered right to you.

Also, would this not cause huge problems regarding under-age drinking? Will the delivery man be arsed asking for ID?

Hi, I'm actually the owner of this business and the whole point of alcohol deliveries is to drive food sales. Our customers always ask for us to deliver drink with their takeaways. We're just trying to legitimise it. We will be price matching all the competitors and probably even undercut them because the drink will be subsidised by the food.

There are no margins in offies really. Could be cheaper than Tesco if bought with food.

We outlined in court how we're going to equip every delivery driver with an iPhone with 3G connection so they can take pictures of people's IDs if suspected of being fake or underage. We're being 100% compliant with the guards.

That's our solution. And it could work.

Wish you the best with your venture.

If the point is to have added value to the food you sell then it's a good plan but charge more as it's a convenience to get alcohol with your food delivered - then I imagine it will have a limited lifespan.

If the alcohol is competitively priced then I see a market for it, I'd order a 6 pack with my dinner no problem, if the price was right.

How do the likes of Tesco work on the ID thing on delivery for alcohol at the door, and Supervalu and anyone else that offers delivery service, worth sussing out how they do it?

Also, Can you 100% ensure your drivers won't be doing favours for their neighbours etc on the age issue?

We outlined in court how we're going to equip every delivery driver with an iPhone with 3G connection so they can take pictures of people's IDs if suspected of being fake or underage. We're being 100% compliant with the guards.

That's our solution. And it could work.

Also, how was the courts reaction to your proposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

How do the likes of Tesco work on the ID thing on delivery for alcohol at the door, and Supervalu and anyone else that offers delivery service, worth sussing out how they do it?

Also, Can you 100% ensure your drivers won't be doing favours for their neighbours etc on the age issue?

I got a crate delivered from tesco's before & driver asked for ID, said they have to ask regardless

If the point is to have added value to the food you sell then it's a good plan but charge more as it's a convenience to get alcohol with your food delivered - then I imagine it will have a limited lifespan.

If the alcohol is competitively priced then I see a market for it, I'd order a 6 pack with my dinner no problem, if the price was right.

Thanks. :)

The point of this venture is most certainly to add value to our food, we have been and will always remain true to the core of food. But me, as a consumer thinks alcohol is too expensive. I'm only 28 and there's so many times I wish I could get alcohol delivered to me or would prefer not to walk, or drive!

I obviously need to make a little bit to run the service, so I'm adding 9% to the price of alcohol that's to be delivered.

€10 - bottle of wine
    €.90c - 9% handling charge
    €2 - local delivery
    ___
    €12.90 to have your alcohol delivered.

We'll even waive the 9% if you order €20 or more in food. Essentially delivering your alcohol for free if you buy food.

(I'd be interested in hearing anybody else's pricing strategies to make this work and be fair to everyone - mine is still a work in progress)

I have lots of ideas to keep the prices low. My ambition is to create a service any adult can use.

• Advertisement

Also, how was the courts reaction to your proposal?

The court reacted badly to my idea. I got all objectors out of the way, fire officer, guards... but the judge has "serious concerns" about delivering alcohol to people's homes. (onlookers told me he didn't understand my ID check idea)

They want to grant me the licence with the condition that I can't deliver it.
    (according to the barrister)

My barrister advised me I will have to tell the judge I won't do deliveries and I'll get the licence. (but signing away my right to do so as well)

My licence broker says get the licence first, say you won't deliver, and deliver anyway 6 months down the line.

I can't really agree to not doing it if everybody else can. There's no law against it.

The court reacted badly to my idea. I got all objectors out of the way, fire officer, guards... but the judge has "serious concerns" about delivering alcohol to people's homes. (onlookers told me he didn't understand my ID check idea)

They want to grant me the licence with the condition that I can't deliver it.
    (according to the barrister)

My barrister advised me I will have to tell the judge I won't do deliveries and I'll get the licence. (but signing away my right to do so as well)

My licence broker says get the licence first, say you won't deliver, and deliver anyway 6 months down the line.

I can't really agree to not doing it if everybody else can.

Quick reply to the the idea of saying you wont deliver and then go ahead and do it - I think the Gardai would take a very dim view if they find out you are delivering alcohol after undertaking not to. Licence renewal will be next to impossible. A problem could easily arise if there was a dispute over age or something on delivery so the Gardai will find out - especially when you deliver their dinners with wine to them ;):)

Personally I would want everyone happy or it's not a runner. Though if others can do it then I can't see why you shouldn't be allowed.

Quick reply to the the idea of saying you wont deliver and then go ahead and do it - I think the Gardai would take a very dim view if they find out you are delivering alcohol after undertaking not to. Licence renewal will be next to impossible. A problem could easily arise if there was a dispute over age or something on delivery so the Gardai will find out - especially when you deliver their dinners with wine to them

Personally I would want everyone happy or it's not a runner. Though if others can do it then I can't see why you shouldn't be allowed.

Me too. I tried making everyone happy and sticking to the legislation by even getting a whole new building for it. And I'm not breaking any laws. It shouldn't be like this, so I think I'll have to fight it.

Me too. I tried making everyone happy and sticking to the legislation by even getting a whole new building for it. And I'm not breaking any laws. It shouldn't be like this, so I think I'll have to fight it.

Hi, I edited my message above, they crossed.

Yes I think you should fight it - it's always tough for the little guy to stay in business in the country !

I don't see why if Tesco et al can deliver on their off licence licence(!) that you can't. Let us all know how you get on. Good luck.

I don't see why if Tesco et al can deliver on their off licence licence(!) that you can't. Let us all know how you get on. Good luck.

I will let you know how I got on. I'm feeling positive enough about it after giving a few people a call earlier.

They are blowing this whole thing out of proportion because they are bombarded with it in the news. They shouldn't treat me any differently.

I appreciate all the support. :o

I will let you know how I got on. I'm feeling positive enough about it after giving a few people a call earlier.

They are blowing this whole thing out of proportion because they are bombarded with it in the news. They shouldn't treat me any differently.

Yes I agree that the bad news in the media at the moment is not going to help your case, but as I say, if Tesco et al can do it I don't see why you can't.

PS - You have the best Chicken Fried Rice in town, but I note it decreased in size the last couple times I was down and I bought it ;) Ahem !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

have literally just ordered from you, would have loved a bottle of wine to go with it, cos iv nothing in!

Fight for it!

Say if they ordered booze with food, you only accept card payments, and to have Photo ID ready with the same name as card used.

It really bugs me how this town is so backward thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Howdy! I am a new blowin from Dublin.
    Anyhoo we used to get wine delivered with our takeaway from Mirchi in Malahide and we also used to do Dial-a-can from Graingers in Baldoyle, as well as getting alcohol from Superquinn and Tesco delivered. The Marble Arch in Drimnagh used to deliver too so I don't see why it should be a big deal.

The ID situation really shouldnt be any different than buying it in an offy, the person who takes the delivery needs to show a valid ID. If theres one person who's 18 and the rest of the house is full of kids how is it any different than the same 18 year old going to the off licence/supermarket and buying it for their mates?

Anyway good luck with your venture :)

oh just thought , you could have a limit on how much can be delivered ie someone can't order a bag of prawn crackers and a slab of beer. It might keep the hand wringers happy !

• Advertisement

Howdy! I am a new blowin from Dublin.
    Anyhoo we used to get wine delivered with our takeaway from Mirchi in Malahide and we also used to do Dial-a-can from Graingers in Baldoyle, as well as getting alcohol from Superquinn and Tesco delivered. The Marble Arch in Drimnagh used to deliver too so I don't see why it should be a big deal.

The ID situation really shouldnt be any different than buying it in an offy, the person who takes the delivery needs to show a valid ID. If theres one person who's 18 and the rest of the house is full of kids how is it any different than the same 18 year old going to the off licence/supermarket and buying it for their mates?

Anyway good luck with your venture :)

Welcome to boards.

Advertisement