Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession, Me Arse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

The thanks you just removed from the OP.;)

Haha :D I thanked your post but I was with only you until the "removed" part :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Fault on both sides IMO.

I suspect the OP's approach got the delivery guys back up straight away.

Personally, in the OPs position, I would have started helping him bring the paper from the van and asked him nicely if he wouldn't mind helping me by dropping it in the office. More than likely he would have been amenable to it. If he was, I probably would have offered him something by way of a tip after the job was done.

On the other hand, it doesnt sound like the delivery guy reacted very professionally, and not very forward thinking either. In these recessionary times, he should be thinking about going the extra mile to keep customers happy, if for no other reason than to make his own job a little more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Duckjob wrote: »
    Fault on both sides IMO.

Personally, in the OPs position, I would have started helping him bring the paper from the van and asked him nicely if he wouldn't mind helping me by dropping it in the office. More than likely he would have been amenable to it. If he was, I probably would have offered him something by way of a tip after the job was done.

On the other hand, it doesnt sound like the delivery guy reacted very professionally, and not very forward thinking either. In these recessionary times, he should be thinking about going the extra mile to keep customers happy, if for no other reason than to make his own job a little more secure.

A lot of posters are making assumptions about the OP here, especially that he was obnoxious and demanded that he do it. OP has also stated that he was meeting a client at the time, so going to help was out of the question. At the end of the day, it's the paper supplier who loses out here because of the attitude of the delivery guy. They could learn a lot from Lidl's customer Service department!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Trekker09 wrote: »
    A lot of posters are making assumptions about the OP here, especially that he was obnoxious and demanded that he do it. OP has also stated that he was meeting a client at the time, so going to help was out of the question. At the end of the day, it's the paper supplier who loses out here because of the attitude of the delivery guy. They could learn a lot from Lidl's customer Service department!!!

the company that has the guy who would not acommodate the customer are going to suffer, due to their employee, the customer can go elsewhere and get the better service that they are entitled to. this person was put front line, and was representing the business, it is not right of him or her to represent it badly,also there are plenty people out there who would be glad to have that job, and treat the customer as they should have been treated, in jobs on the past i worked front line, and all i can say is that i worked with some awful, ignorant, unhelpful people who were not nice to customers, i always asked them why they did not change jobs, as they were either unfit or did not like where they were, i was not the boss in these cases, but i felt we were going to lose customers, and these same customers were my bread and butter,it costs nothing to smile, be nice and say thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

There are always people (customers and others) that I would always go the extra mile for, partly because of my outlook but also because of their attitude and behaviour towards me, there are others that you learn to say no to because they take the p!ss and don't deserve the extra effort

• Advertisement

as a person who worked front line in businesses, i can only say that those who were not so nice when i first encountered them, i did go the extra mile, and always they broke down their barrier and i found them to be brilliant, would it ever occur to you, that these same people had been treated badly in the past, and you have to earn their trust,

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Duckjob wrote: »
    Fault on both sides IMO.

a bit of sense at last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

rossie1977 wrote: »
    customer service has dropped big time since the recession, you still can't get anyone to do a job (tiling, plumbing etc) these days and when you do get someone they f**k you over and its not just confined to ireland, i was over in las vegas in march and that city has been one of the worst affected in the states, yet customer service in many establishments is terrible compared to even 3 years ago when business was booming there

Sure.

EDIT: I'm an idiot I quoted the wrong post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He put the goods inside the gate. How is that a security risk?? The OP who worked there saw that the goods were being delivered, so could have moved them where he wanted. What was the risk??

If he'd left them inside an open gate and hadn't told anyone that the delivery was there, then fair enough. But i'm sure he needed a signature, and as the OP stated, he came out. Jobs a good un.

Secondly, if i remember correctly the OP stated that he did not know if the courier would be insured on the property, yet demanded that he take the risk and move the paper around the property.

Look, I have worked as a storeman, I have done deliveries. Have you? You never unload unless you know where to unload. You never unload where you like

You think that putting boxes of paper just inside a gate is safe? How naive are you. Secondly, they were put out in the rain. What sort of a courier puts paper out in the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The recession ended 6 months ago people!

Only on paper......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Only on paper......
    ...just don't ask to have it delivered.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Look, I have worked as a storeman, I have done deliveries. Have you? You never unload unless you know where to unload. You never unload where you like

You think that putting boxes of paper just inside a gate is safe? How naive are you. Secondly, they were put out in the rain. What sort of a courier puts paper out in the rain.

i have had a currier now and then dropping things off for my brother,he knows i will take them, and he always asks where he would put them, has never said that he was leaving them outside my door, while i have a long driveway leading to my home, and we are in the country, this man will always bring them indoor for me and drop them where i ask, he is always very helpful and look after the customerand ,
    in my local shop, there is one cashier i will not deal with, due to being ignorant and unhelpful, she has noticed this, as one day i was in shop and she had no customer, while the cashier on till next to her had another customer, i waited for her to be finished with the customer, and did my shopping, we do not have to deal with people who are like that, i would have let the shopping trolly full and walked out of the shop if i had to deal with the unhelpful cashier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

mikom wrote: »
    He should not have used that toner voice.

Fe*k sake he was bleedin' right. What else did he/she expect. I would have done exactly the same thing if I was the delivery woman. Out of principle. delivery to the door. Takin' the piss there. Poor fella was prob on s**t pay and is not obliged to go out of his way. Never mind the security/insurance implications, the delivery personnel are usually not allowed enter premises.

Looks like the general consensus here is with the delivery man.

In times of recession you should have been more considerate for the company and cut the s**t about not delivering it to your store room. You should be ashamed of posting such a thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Truff Puff wrote: »
    Fe*k sake he was bleedin' right. What else did he/she expect. I would have done exactly the same thing if I was the delivery woman. Out of principle. delivery to the door. Takin' the piss there. Poor fella was prob on s**t pay and is not obliged to go out of his way. Never mind the security/insurance implications, the delivery personnel are usually not allowed enter premises.

In times of recession you should have been more considerate for the company and cut the s**t about not delivering it to your store room. You should be ashamed of posting such a tread

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Recession?
    That's the first i've heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I always give the delivery guys a hand to unload the truck/van. They seem happy enough to bring the stuff indoors when they see me mucking in.

One time the boss was late coming in and there was a guy there with a truck waiting to get in, he got quite thick and said he'd drive off if someone didn't open up quick. He had a big pallet on so I couldn't lift it off. I know time is money in the delivery game, but attitudes like that stink. He's been back a few times since and he's still a grumpy sod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Truff Puff wrote: »

In times of recession you should have been more considerate for the company and cut the s**t about not delivering it to your store room. You should be ashamed of posting such a thread

When you order oil, it's put in your oil tank. The delivery person doesn't empty it onto your driveway & consider it a job well done.

The same applies when you get furniture delivered. They always bring it into your house. Some places I got wardrobes from even assembled tham for me, even though they didn't have to. That's what I mean by going the extra mile.

This guy didn't even do that - he left boxes of paper on a soaking wet driveway & thought that it was acceptable. I need paper for printing on, not for making paper f*cking mache, which is all wet paper would be good for.

Now, on a normal day, if the ground was dry & I wasn't in the middle of a meeting, it really wouldn't have bothered me... I would've just moved the paper myself, but when you pay good money for something, the least you expect is that it's delivered in an acceptable condition & not left out where it can be damaged by water.

That's the same as a postman leaving your letters in the front garden instead of putting them through the letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Did you not have the manners to ask politely?

Amazing the results a bit of common decency commands as opposed to some prick making demands.
    Sometimes it's hard to believe there's a recession happening when so many places still give really bad customer service. I've had a few occurances over the last while, but today's took the biscuit...

I ordered some paper last week from a company in Dublin - 50 rolls of A1 size sheets for a printer. The delivery guy arrived today & started to unload the boxes, leaving them propped up against the wall just inside the gates leading to my office / studio.

After a few minutes, I went out to him and told him that they needed to be brought into the storeroom at the back of the office. He said that he only delivered to the "point of entry" & I would have to bring them there myself.

The storeroom is about 20 foot away from the gate.

I told him again that I wanted them put in the storeroom, that I didn't have time for this malarky & that I'd paid his company to deliver the paper to my office & not drop them against a wall beside the gate.

He looked at me with a big, thick head on him & said, "well, de ye bleedin' want 'em or naat - coz I can leave 'em here or take 'em back?"

I told him to take them back.

So he did. And drove all the way back to Dublin with them. A 400km round trip drive for nothing.

You would expect people to try & go the extra mile these days, but this prick wouldn't even go the extra 20 foot.

Recession, me arse.

Jay D wrote: »
    Did you not have the manners to ask politely?

Amazing the results a bit of common decency commands as opposed to some prick making demands.

I did actually ask him nicely. I am polite to everyone (unless they have been rude to me) - and I certainly wouldn't infer that you are a prick, because that wouldn't be polite at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

you should get a donkey to take the paper over from the gate to the office.
    there are loads abandoned now, and they don't give back cheek.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

I did actually ask him nicely. I am polite to everyone (unless they have been rude to me) - and I certainly wouldn't infer that you are a prick, because that wouldn't be polite at all.

Really? Because you've gone on like a fucking arsehole for the last 16 pages.

Really? Because you've gone on like a fucking arsehole for the last 16 pages.

Your username contravenes the Trade Description's Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

Your username contravenes the Trade Description's Act.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/388349

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I suppose OP the driver picked up a "I pay your wages!" attitude and took offense.

Sure look at the title of this thread and other posters are picking up on your attitude

I suppose OP the driver picked up a "I pay your wages!" attitude and took offense.

Sure look at the title of this thread and other posters are picking up on your attitude

I can see why I'm getting some stick - my first post was written somewhat hastily, while I was still slightly fuming & didn't tell the full story properly.

But I really didn't treat the guy badly... he seemed, for whatever reason, to have his back up before I even spoke to him. Maybe it was the long drive, or maybe he was having a "man period", I dunno.

But I don't treat people differently because of their jobs - every job is necessary & anyone who does their job well deserves respect for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

thats like askin the post man to come in sit down and read out your mail.its also hardly a waste of his time at the end of the day he get's paid for the trip but your stuck without paper :rolleyes:

epic fail :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

maybe he was having a "man period", I dunno.

Jesus the period stuff is really todays theme isn't it?!

:pac:

spider_pig wrote: »
    thats like askin the post man to come in sit down and read out your mail.its also hardly a waste of his time at the end of the day he get's paid for the trip but your stuck without paper :rolleyes:

Hardly a fail on my behalf. I ordered paper from someone else that afternoon & it was delivered to the storeroom the next morning.

The only loser in the scenario was the first paper company who had to pay their driver to do a round trip for nothing. Between his wages & diesel, they were most certainly out of pocket & as he returned with 50 boxes of paper that had been damaged from the rain, I seriously doubt that he'll be in his boss' good books for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Christ if i hear that annoying internerd buzzword one more time.....

So fcuking overused.

ohh like omg what an epic fail lol omg....
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

But I don't treat people differently because of their jobs - every job is necessary & anyone who does their job well deserves respect for doing so.

Cool, you're right.
    No matter if you have the lowliest job in Ireland, once you do it well and with pride you get respect in my book

Thanked you for the explanation

I hate that buzz word.
    And in a years time like all fads it'll be forgotten and replaced by something else

Advertisement