Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LauraF89

Hi all, this is a bit off topic but i have an interview next week with a university in liverpool, egde hill. i have to have a discussion on the challenges facing the business education teacher in the 14-19 curriculum.
    does anyone have an idea of the national curriculum in the uk?? or has anyone been through this interview process??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vermafogli

:)Hi all, have interview for UL just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what may be asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 barrattd

LauraF89 wrote: »
    Hi all, this is a bit off topic but i have an interview next week with a university in liverpool, egde hill. i have to have a discussion on the challenges facing the business education teacher in the 14-19 curriculum.
    does anyone have an idea of the national curriculum in the uk?? or has anyone been through this interview process??

I'm english and have been through the UK education system, not business though. The UK national curriculum for all KS4 subjects (GCSE) is online, however as far as I am aware Business Studies is not on the national curriculum, but is an optional subject schools can choose to offer if they wish. Mine didnt. Schools then choose which exam boards they want to use for their students to gain a GCSE qualification in Business Studies. The main exam boards are AQA ( this is the Business link http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/business/new/business_overview2.php), Edexcel (just google it) and OCR (google too!). They will outline the aims and course overviews etc, they are all similar so I'd just get to know one if I were you.

In my opinion one of the main issues with the 14-19 age group is motivation. In the UK, school finishes at 16 when GCSE's are over. It is then up to each student to decide if they want to enrol in college/sixth form for 16-18 year olds where they then do A levels. In Ireland its assumed that 'school' finishes at 18, whereas in England there is more of divide between finishing school at 16 and enrolling at college to do A levels as a choice. Therefore motivation is key to get students to continue to choose to stay in education! Business has become a really popular and useful subject for people to take as a way to incorporate academic work with practical and real life situations. Its a really popular degree for people who arent exactly sure what they want to do in terms of a job, but want a degree that will help them get employment in lots of areas.

Thats my take on general UK education, not really business specific but hope it helps a bit! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 barrattd

Annamie wrote: »
    I got an e-mail to check my TCD portal on Friday and was offered a place in music.

Got an offer this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jmatthews12

Unsuccessful ..and I thought my interview for history went reasonably well! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 LauraF89

barrattd wrote: »
    I'm english and have been through the UK education system, not business though. The UK national curriculum for all KS4 subjects (GCSE) is online, however as far as I am aware Business Studies is not on the national curriculum, but is an optional subject schools can choose to offer if they wish. Mine didnt. Schools then choose which exam boards they want to use for their students to gain a GCSE qualification in Business Studies. The main exam boards are AQA ( this is the Business link http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/business/new/business_overview2.php), Edexcel (just google it) and OCR (google too!). They will outline the aims and course overviews etc, they are all similar so I'd just get to know one if I were you.

In my opinion one of the main issues with the 14-19 age group is motivation. In the UK, school finishes at 16 when GCSE's are over. It is then up to each student to decide if they want to enrol in college/sixth form for 16-18 year olds where they then do A levels. In Ireland its assumed that 'school' finishes at 18, whereas in England there is more of divide between finishing school at 16 and enrolling at college to do A levels as a choice. Therefore motivation is key to get students to continue to choose to stay in education! Business has become a really popular and useful subject for people to take as a way to incorporate academic work with practical and real life situations. Its a really popular degree for people who arent exactly sure what they want to do in terms of a job, but want a degree that will help them get employment in lots of areas.

Thats my take on general UK education, not really business specific but hope it helps a bit! Good luck!

Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 e_murf

vermafogli wrote: »
    :)Hi all, have interview for UL just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what may be asked?

Whats you're subject?

e_murf wrote: »
    Whats you're subject?

Business what's your subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Knowsitall22

Has anyone heard anything from the DCU dip? The deadline was extended!! Is that because of too few people applying?

Would anyone have a great end of interview closing question? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Trebleclef1990

Does anyone know how long the waiting list would be for the pde course??? Ive no ideas of my odds for an actual offer!! Thanks!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Anyone have getting experience of getting a school with Trinity been turned down by two already saying they don't take Trinity students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

scoopmine wrote: »
    Anyone have getting experience of getting a school with Trinity been turned down by two already saying they don't take Trinity students.

I don't 100% understand what you mean, but a PDE in Trinity is probably the most competitive course out of all the ones available. I have a 1.1 and prior teaching experience and was put on the waiting list.

I lucky enough to get offered my PDE last Monday and I am looking for my school for placement.

I lucky enough to get offered my PDE last Monday and I am looking for my school for placement.

Just wondering- what are your subjects?

Religion and English!

Siuin wrote: »
    Just wondering- what are your subjects?
    Religion and English!

:confused:

Apologies I was very unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Hi all,

Iv read thru the thread and just wondering if people have had an interview in UL for the PDE Business. I have mine Friday and was just wondering what kind of questions they would be asking.

I have been in practice for 6 years so can only assume the interview will be quiet different.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kikibo531

Scoopmine -- how are you going about applying to schools? I am just starting this week... Are you sending CVs or just letters at first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

kikibo531 wrote: »
    Scoopmine -- how are you going about applying to schools? I am just starting this week... Are you sending CVs or just letters at first?

Send a cover letter and CV to as many schools as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 12 e_murf

vermafogli wrote: »
    Business what's your subject?

Irish, but I know a couple of people that are doing the Business course at the moment. Apparently last year they wanted to know what you're hobbies were and if you played any sport so that you could contribute to the school outside of the classroom also. So maybe try and talk about that a bit if you can and demonstrate that your'e a team player etc. Other than that I think they ask a lot about relevant experience and why you want to teach. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 creamdog88

For anyone looking to complete this course, think deeply about whether you really want to pursue it as it is an absolute mind **** of a year and in retrospect you could nearly do with a year to prepare for it, i began the course without really thinking deeply about whether I was suited to teaching, I am not trying to dissuade anybody from doing it but I found it ridiculous enough as a course, for such a demanding profession you are given 7 to 8 months of a course and bombarded with work that you will most likely never put into use, I would think I have covered at least as much material in the course that I did in my degree course, lesson plans and such on top of that, it is seen as something to be endured, but I ask myself why so, I accept that to use an analogy you are thrown in at the deep end and left to your own devices, you are expected to have an intimate knowledge of the curriculum and effectively are given no help to this end, your methodology doesn't really u help you, also ask yourself also are you a creative person in terms of composing class plans and technology orientated stuff (alas I was not and found myself thinking to myself what in God's name am I doing here, also you will need a high tolerance level of pure and utter bull****, in one of my subjects I had an hour and a half a week and was expected to use assessment for learning and other fancy things, it is seen as anathema for a teacher to be using a didactic style and yet time constrictions as a result of a need to cover the curriculum make it nigh on impossible and lack of knowledge on the students part make it necessary for the teacher to impart such an approach for any dividend, come to think of it I also feel there are too many subjects in the junior cert course, when I think of the trouble I had as an adult trying to make sense of one, .......it seems that the attitude of "just get through it" pervades the education system in Ireland at all levels (junior cert, leaving cert, degree, hdip etc.) whilst as we all know this is not the purpose of education at all, why is it that all we hear when students finish exams is, "thank god thats over I never want to see any of that again" particularly in regard to our native language, think of the quotes of some of our most famous patriots, Thomas Davis, "Educate that you may be free", and Pearse's disdain for formal examinations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

I just missed the deadline for applying to DCU this year due to economic factors and I am gutted I was hoping to attend this year.

Is DCU the only college doing the PGDE/ HDIP on a part time basis?

I work and would have to arrange time to attend classes etc and am looking at all my options in regards to proximity of colleges

thanks for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    I just missed the deadline for applying to DCU this year due to economic factors and I am gutted I was hoping to attend this year.

Is DCU the only college doing the PGDE/ HDIP on a part time basis?

I work and would have to arrange time to attend classes etc and am looking at all my options in regards to proximity of colleges

thanks for any advice

Hibernia do an online version of it.

I saw that but from memory it is expensive compared to the other colleges

I saw that but from memory it is expensive compared to the other colleges

DCU is very expensive too. Around €9,000.

TheBody wrote: »

DCU is very expensive too. Around €9,000.

Are you sure about that or have a link to show that cost?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Musicluver

Does anyone know how long the waiting list would be for the pde course??? Ive no ideas of my odds for an actual offer!! Thanks!!! :)

Hi Trebleclef1990, I have also been put on the waiting list for Trinity Music, I've no idea of our chances but hopefully it won't be too long before we know.

Also, Has anyone heard anything from UL Music, my interview was back in January and I heard the decision would be made and sent out in two weeks after the interview, but the website says something about late applications, anyone know what the situation is

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that or have a link to show that cost?
    Thanks

Believe me, I'm sure!! I had to pay it!! I'm in a bit of a rush so I don't have the time to look for a link. I'm sure if you have a look at the DCU fees office webpage you will find it.

EDIT: Found it here: http://www.dcu.ie/finance/fees/programme_costs_humanities_2012-2013.shtml

Comes in at €8,950.

Advertisement