Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ronnoc

Hi all.

Similar to previous posters, I got a letter from TCD confirming interview time. Again, could anyone give an idea of whether the interview questions are weighted more on the curriculum/subject matter side of things or general pedagogy questions. Also, my main subject is a foreign language. Does anyone know if the entire interview will be through that language or will parts be in English?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DayTripper

I have my DCU PGDE interview next week and like the others above, I was hoping someone might be able to fill me in on what will be asked.
    Should I be prepared to talk about my subjects in detail and my knowledge of them or the general curriculum?

I'm kind of expecting a bit of everything but will I be asked to talk about my experiences in a leadership/teaching role and how I think it can be applied to the classroom?
    Also, someone mentioned that discipline policies are a popular thing to be asked about and I just wanted to see if I should be familiarising myself with them!

As you might be able to tell, I'm beginning to stress :p any help would be much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

DayTripper wrote: »
    I have my DCU PGDE interview next week and like the others above, I was hoping someone might be able to fill me in on what will be asked.
    Should I be prepared to talk about my subjects in detail and my knowledge of them or the general curriculum?

I'm kind of expecting a bit of everything but will I be asked to talk about my experiences in a leadership/teaching role and how I think it can be applied to the classroom?
    Also, someone mentioned that discipline policies are a popular thing to be asked about and I just wanted to see if I should be familiarising myself with them!

As you might be able to tell, I'm beginning to stress :p any help would be much appreciated! :)

I did the DCU interview a few years ago. I was asked what I would do in a certain scenario something to do with classroom management , and then a few other general questions if I remember correctly.

Classroom management/ discipline seem to be important issues. Thanks. I (naively) wouldn't have been prepared to talk extensively about discipline - must get my thinking cap on. I expected it to be more along the lines of methodology and practice, and approaches to teaching your subject but I guess discipline is a core part of that in the secondary school context.

Does anyone have any more tips on possible questions? Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

Maybe the overlooked question of why you actually want to do the course? Why you want to be a teacher? What role do you think a teacher plays? Just suggestions :) Good luck everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

Hi everyone,
    I hope someone here can help me with a question i have.
    sorry if its off topic or already answered but i do need some help:
    i've applied on the pac.ie website to do the secondary school teaching higher diploma at UCC, UCG, Maynooth and UCD.
    Do you have to do an interview to get accepted onto one of these courses?

Hi everyone,
    I hope someone here can help me with a question i have.
    sorry if its off topic or already answered but i do need some help:
    i've applied on the pac.ie website to do the secondary school teaching higher diploma at UCC, UCG, Maynooth and UCD.
    Do you have to do an interview to get accepted onto one of these courses?

No. Its like the CAO. And wheres UCG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vermafogli

:)Not as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

No. Its like the CAO. And wheres UCG?

It's NUIG.

Thanks for your quick replies.
    I thought there was no interviews alright but then I got a bit unsure about it.
    UCG - I meant University College Galway, sorry :D

Next question:
    I have an MA with a 2:1 and an honours BA but that was only a 2:2.
    What are my chances, I wonder?

• Advertisement

:(You will have more points due to your masters, you can calculate your points, have a look at the points calculation section on pac. You will have more of a chance than most I'd say. Very competitive this year I'd imagine. I'm not holding my breath... I have a 2:1 and a professional diploma. Based on last years points I wouldn't have had enough

vermafogli wrote: »
    :(You will have more points due to your masters, you can calculate your points, have a look at the points calculation section on pac. You will have more of a chance than most I'd say. Very competitive this year I'd imagine. I'm not holding my breath... I have a 2:1 and a professional diploma. Based on last years points I wouldn't have had enough

Is a diploma not worth the same as a masters? I thought i read that somewhere on the pac site.

Thanks for that vermafogli.
    I was always disappointed by my 2:2 in my BA, it's such a mediocre result.
    I'm counting on my MA to bring me up, to be honest.
    If I can't get into the Dip this year, I think I'll be gone a bit long in the tooth to try again for it.

Also need advice on this one:
    I'm a good bit older than most other students.
    I have done a number of different jobs but I would love to teach.
    I have some teaching experience already.

i'm nervous of the discipline at secondary schools.
    i hear a lot of nightmare stories about out of control classes and students but i still really want to teach.
    Would teacher training equip a new teacher with the skills to deal with violence and threats in the classroom?

Is a diploma not worth the same as a masters? I thought i read that somewhere on the pac site.

6 points for masters, 2 for diploma :(

:o I did my degree in 2005, am also in a similar position so really hoping my 7 years in finance position might help get me in

:o I did my degree in 2005, am also in a similar position so really hoping my 7 years in finance position might help get me in

Yeah, I know the feeling.
    Which colleges have you applied for?

All of them on PAC, trinity and UL. Trinity interview letters were sent out last week, still waiting on mine hahaha........!:)

All of them on PAC, trinity and UL. Trinity interview letters were sent out last week, still waiting on mine hahaha........!:)

Best of luck. Fingers crossed for you. :)
    Any idea what day in April we might hear from PAC?
    Do they notify all applicants, or just the successful ones?

:)Thanks a mil, 1st April is the date they have given that we'll get notification. They also have second round offers.... So hopefully fingers crossed:D......

Does anyone know how soon Trinity let you know - yay or nay - after the interview?

PAC will notify everyone at the start of April, JFitzgerald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 miims

Just got letter from Trinners - interview on Tuesday! only the weekend to prepare! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pmoore2007

does anyone know why queens university belfast is not on "list A" of the approved list of degrees accepted by the research council for post primary education. it does contain university of ulster though

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kikibo531

Mine's this week too. Any ideas what they ask at interview?? I don't know what to prepare for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

I didn't do an interview but I'd say be prepared for:

- "Why do you want to be a teacher?" type qs
    - Classroom scenarios "what would you do if...?" (Never put them outside!)
    - Qs on your knowledge of the subject - exam paper layout, topics, curriculum
    - Maybe the changes to the JC? What will happen to your subject?
    - General stuff about your application - extra curricular stuff (they'll want to see that you'd want to be involved in that kind of thing, during and after the PDE)

Good luck to you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kikibo531

parthjjj wrote: »
    Hi there,

Congrats. Did you get into Trinity for the Sept 2013 entry or was this in a previous year? Do you know when people find out if they have an interview for Trinity? Thanks.
    Trinity are interviewing at the moment.
    Does anyone know when Trinity tells you if you got in? They are saying late March...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

kikibo531 wrote: »
    Trinity are interviewing at the moment.
    Does anyone know when Trinity tells you if you got in? They are saying late March...

For me it was the day before NUI PAC offers, but that was before Trinity went online for applications too.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Balmom

Just wondering if anyone has heard back from TCD re PDE Interviews for 2013-2014? I haven't yet and was expecting to by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Balmom wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has heard back from TCD re PDE Interviews for 2013-2014? I haven't yet and was expecting to by now

If you were going to be called for an interview, they would have probably contacted you by now. I had my interview for English last week (all English was interviewed on the 14th/15th) - first half went alright, but second half was a disaster :S Going to UCD, I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Balmom

Thanks for that, yeah that was what I was thinking. They are unreal. They seem to only want people with no experience or a few weeks. They could have at least let people know they weren't getting an interview though. Good Luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Anyone have their religion interview with trinity. How did it go any tough questions.

Advertisement