Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shay09

scoopmine wrote: »
    Anyone have their religion interview with trinity. How did it go any tough questions.

Have my interview tomorrow. Anybody have any advice? Cant find an example of the subject based question anywhere. Hope they dont ask me something to obscure about the religious ed syllabus:/:D

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Have my interview tomorrow. Anybody have any advice? Cant find an example of the subject based question anywhere. Hope they dont ask me something to obscure about the religious ed syllabus:/

Mine too best of luck! I'm abit nervous!

Had mine yday thought it went well they were really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jmatthews12

Has anyone done the PGDE interview for history? Any idea when they will tell us if we get in? I had it yesterday...some tricky questions, apparently the main interviewer said there was a serious amount of applicants this year...here is hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 barrattd

Hi everyone,

I had my interview for the PDE in Music on the 14th Feb, when are we going to find out the results?? I have no clue how many people they interviewed. It's driving me crazy not knowing! I'm English and am currently in my last year doing the BMus at Cardiff University, so if I somehow managed to get in and am moving to Dublin I need to start sorting stuff out, like where I'm going to live and who with! Does anyone know if they take many UK applicants? My interview seemed to go well, but I thought I might be at a disadvantage because I didn't go through in the Irish education system. They spent a lot of time asking what I had to do for GCSE and A level Music, and asking me to compare them to the Junior Cert and Leaving Cert curriculum. Hmmmmmm, I'm so nervous waiting to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 e_murf

Hi,

I was just wondering does anyone know which university is recognised as being the best for the PDE? I applied to all the national universities through the PAC system and to UL and Trinity also. I just received an offer from Trinity but I can't decided whether to take it or not. My subjects are Irish and history so i'd be able to take Irish as a major and history as a minor in Trinity but this would mean that i'm not technically qualified to teach history. I'd like to go to NUIG but I feel like the points are likely to go up this year so not sure if i'll be offered a place. UL is also an option but i'm not sure if it's established enough with regards the PDE?

Any info/advice would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

e_murf wrote: »
    Hi,

I was just wondering does anyone know which university is recognised as being the best for the PDE? I applied to all the national universities through the PAC system and to UL and Trinity also. I just received an offer from Trinity but I can't decided whether to take it or not. My subjects are Irish and history so i'd be able to take Irish as a major and history as a minor in Trinity but this would mean that i'm not technically qualified to teach history. I'd like to go to NUIG but I feel like the points are likely to go up this year so not sure if i'll be offered a place. UL is also an option but i'm not sure if it's established enough with regards the PDE?

The general consensus on here seems to be that Maynooth is the best college for the PDE. I don't know about the others. I'd be interested myself in how the rest stack up, particularly UCC.

As far as I know, you would still be qualified to teach History. UL seems to have a very different system in place regarding the PDE so I'm not sure about that.

Hi,

Did you receive an offer by a letter through the post or on the online portal? Congratulations by the way!

Ya I heard Maynooth are the best but I had already filled out the PAC by that stage. You're not examined on you're minor subject in Trinity though so I kind of assume you're not qualified to teach it. There's no regulations against that at the moment but they could be brought in at some stage I think.

Through the online portal, thanks!

• Advertisement

Through the online portal, thanks!

Aah ok, thats better than waiting for the postman! The lady in my interview said 'letters' would be sent out with the results, but perhaps thats just for Music. Although I would have thought all subject results would be released at the same time via the same method.....ah well, the waiting continues!

barrattd wrote: »
    Aah ok, thats better than waiting for the postman! The lady in my interview said 'letters' would be sent out with the results, but perhaps thats just for Music. Although I would have thought all subject results would be released at the same time via the same method.....ah well, the waiting continues!

I know the waiting is the worst part! I was't expecting to hear so soon, in the interview they told me that it wouldn't be until late March-April. My subject is Irish though and they only interviewed 30 people for it so i'd say offers for subjects like Music with more people applying will take a bit longer to come out!

I know the waiting is the worst part! I was't expecting to hear so soon, in the interview they told me that it wouldn't be until late March-April. My subject is Irish though and they only interviewed 30 people for it so i'd say offers for subjects like Music with more people applying will take a bit longer to come out!

Yes good point. I've no idea how many people were interviewed for Music, I had my interview over 2 weeks ago now. I should have asked these things in the interview like when we would hear back from them, but I didnt. I'm from the UK and have an offer for Cardiff where I am now, so I'd like to know about Trinity soon so I know which country I'm going to be in! Fingers crossed I'll be told soon. Well done again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Anyone else get an email from TCD to say that they've been put on a 'wait list'...? Not sure if it's good news or bad :/

Siuin wrote: »
    Anyone else get an email from TCD to say that they've been put on a 'wait list'...? Not sure if it's good news or bad :/

What subject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

What subject?

English
    I'm hoping I've some chance since I've a 1.1 and some teaching experience, but I didn't feel that the interview went that well at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tolkien21

Hey Siuin, I'm in the same boat. I wonder if anyone's got an offer yet in English?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kikibo531

I got an email telling me to check my.tcd account (I am waiting to have my password reset and prob won't access it until Monday) - but I think that sounds like bad news. What do you think???

kikibo531 wrote: »
    I got an email telling me to check my.tcd account (I am waiting to have my password reset and prob won't access it until Monday) - but I think that sounds like bad news. What do you think???

That's the same e-mail I got and when I logged on it said I had been offered a place so you could be lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Hi,

NUIM is probably the most respected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sarahb82

Hi,
    My subjects are Irish and history so i'd be able to take Irish as a major and history as a minor in Trinity but this would mean that i'm not technically qualified to teach history.

If you take History as a minor in TCD you will still be qualified to teach it as long as you have studied it to the required level in your degree. The teaching council require a you to have a certain number of credits in order to be eligible to teach a subject. When I studied in TCD last year my subjects were Science (Major) and maths. I am currently not qualified to teach maths becuase I only studied it for 2 years in college and have not completed the required number of credits in my degree. It has nothing to do with it being my minor subject.

On another note, I have heard from various people that Maynooth seems to be the "best" course for the PDE.

I got offered a place in both TCD and UCD and at the end of the day it's entirely up to you. I decided to go with TCD as I preferred the set up there, In school 2.5 days and college 2.5 days whereas UCD you are in school and college everyday. Go with what suits you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

It has to take up 54 credits of your degree I think to qualify you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 miims

Hi,

Hi e,

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I got an offer from TCD but I'm not sure if I'll accept it. The deadline for acceptance is 22 March! Does anyone know when the PAC offers are out?

I got told I would hear back in mid march is it by post or on my tcd?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 miims

I got an e-mail saying that the status of my application had changed and to log on to mytcd - check your junk mail as that's where mine was since yesterday! I wasn't expecting a reply so early either, my interview was just 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure if it depends on subject?

Has anyone heard anything from Music interviews? They were 2 weeks ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Ya I heard Maynooth are the best but I had already filled out the PAC by that stage. You're not examined on you're minor subject in Trinity though so I kind of assume you're not qualified to teach it. There's no regulations against that at the moment but they could be brought in at some stage I think.

No, you will still be qualified to teach your minor subject. The PDE qualifies you to teach but the subjects you can teach are dependent on your primary degree only. Currently you need 54 credits in a subject taken over three years but that is being changed to 60 in the next few years. The Teaching Council assured me it would take a few years for this new requirement to be in effect so I imagine even if legislation were changed regarding the subjects undertaken in the PDE it wouldn't apply to you anyway.

kikibo531 wrote: »
    I got an email telling me to check my.tcd account (I am waiting to have my password reset and prob won't access it until
    Monday) - but I think that sounds like bad news. What do you think???

That just means a decision has been made as to whether you have a place on the course or not. Best of luck!

Does anyone know how good the course is in UCC and NUIG?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Annamie

Has anyone heard anything from Music interviews? They were 2 weeks ago too.

I got an e-mail to check my TCD portal on Friday and was offered a place in music.

miims wrote: »
    Hi e,

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I got an offer from TCD but I'm not sure if I'll accept it. The deadline for acceptance is 22 March! Does anyone know when the PAC offers are out?

Where did you hear that we have to accept by the 22nd of March? That's way too soon! The offers for PAC aren't usually out until the last week of March or the first week in April I don't think

• Advertisement

Got an offer this morning from Trinity in Religion. Made up. Over in liverpool next week for my interview in edge hill.

Advertisement