Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BIG medicinal cannabis discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

bronte wrote: »
    How about making it legal for purposes?

There hasn't been much call for it among the cetacean community.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Dave! wrote: »
    Tryin to win the young vote in the next election? Nice wan

Your move, Enda...

Seems like it. In all fairness, I cant see it happening. But if it does, before any voting, I wouldnt mind :p. Otherwise they mite aswell be saying we're gonna send a rocket to mars. highly unlikely.

Weed first, vote later.
    fergalr wrote: »
    If I were the Minister for Health, I would seek medical advice on that question instead. Just saying.

plenty of it around. Go search google and you'll see how much research is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Mary Harney with the munchies = Godzilla :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

aurelius79 wrote: »
    It's already been clinically proven to be effective in treating loads of conditions. Researchers have actually been testing for the past 20-30 years or so.

It's great for treating sober-itis, and i'm just guessing here, but possibly anorexia too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

If this government offered world peace, I wouldn't want any part of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

so she should she's been smoking it for long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Doubt its much to do with looking for votes.
    She's without a party and therefore without any reasonable expectation of becoming a minister again (unless she joins up with one of the big boys).

She's minister for health - its her job to investigate these scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

enda1 wrote: »
    Doubt its much to do with looking for votes.
    She's without a party and therefore without any reasonable expectation of becoming a minister again (unless she joins up with one of the big boys).

She's minister for health - its her job to investigate these scenarios.

Fitting username :pac:

Fantastic news. Told you all it'd happen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Surely the idea of smoking anything is counter productive to the well being of someones health no matter what the substance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Stev_o wrote: »
    Surely the idea of smoking anything is counter productive to the well being of someones health no matter what the substance?

Tell that to someone suffering from chronic pain.

• Advertisement

There are more ways to consume cannabis than just smoking :)

Smoking ANYTHING isn't great for you but with cannabis, the chance getting cancer is greatly diminished due to the apoptosis (cell death) of cancerous cells before they can actually form and create tumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wonder can I get it prescribed as a cure for my alcoholism:o

Is Medicinal Cannabis the same as Cannabis??

karma_ wrote: »
    Tell that to someone suffering from chronic pain.

So we want to compound chronic pain by saying well if you do manage to get over this there's a chance that we may have done a good bit of damage to your lungs aswell?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

So we want to compound chronic pain by saying well if you do manage to get over this there's a chance that we may have done a good bit of damage to your lungs aswell?

Generally, and I am open to correction on this, that this is one treatment for suffers of chronic pain in patients with terminal illnesses. At the stage they are talking about using it, potential lung damage would be the least of their worries.

There are more ways to consume cannabis than just smoking :)

Smoking ANYTHING isn't great for you but with cannabis, the chance getting cancer is greatly diminished due to the apoptosis (cell death) of cancerous cells before they can actually form and create tumours.

Actually you raise a great point here.

When someone mentions this topic the first thing that pops into everyone's head is that the drug is to be smoked. Maybe there would been a far better alternative by being able to consume it without having to go to the trouble of having to cook it fro yourself. Again i have no idea how it works bar the fact i know it's a consumable drug but to me at least it sounds like a more healthier option if the user is given it in a edible form of some sorts rather compounding the situation by damaging your lungs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

At fvcking LAST!

My mum pops between 6 and 9 pills a day to do with her ilness's and she does smoke weed but fears getting caught and worse still getting in trouble.

It would be a move that would help so many people :)

If she does this I will offer my self to her mary that is and after words il wash my self in bleach and scrub my self with a wire brush :eek:...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

seensensee wrote: »
    You may wish to indicate the holes (amendable) but clearly the act goes beyond the patient as it includes care giver and physician protections and responsibilities.

It clearly does, but why? All of these factors are already legislated in our current system, don't see what the point of making up a new system is.
    Placing cannabis into schedule 2 category is unrealistic as it would be be in the same classification as opiates and cocaine. In fact it's hard to say where cannabis would fit into on the Schedules..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misuse_of_Drugs_Act_1984

schedule 3 is about stimulants, schedule 4 is about sedatives.
    Medicinal cannabis certainly does not belong in schedules 1-4, it requires it's own schedule. So what.

Cannabis is currently in schedule 1 (considered to have no medical benefit and high abuse potential). By moving perhaps some of the chemicals it contains to Schedule 2, it would allow medical use with comparable controls to a doctor prescribing morphine for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Simple just use a Vaporizer virtually no carcinogen

Actually you raise a great point here.

When someone mentions this topic the first thing that pops into everyone's head is that the drug is to be smoked. Maybe there would been a far better alternative by being able to consume it without having to go to the trouble of having to cook it fro yourself. Again i have no idea how it works bar the fact i know it's a consumable drug but to me at least it sounds like a more healthier option if the user is given it in a edible form of some sorts rather compounding the situation by damaging your lungs.

Exactly :)

Cannabis oil is by far the safest way to consume it. Concentrated THC and/or CBD (the two main cannabinoids) have been proven to kill cancer cells. Many groups worldwide have cured even terminal cancer patients by using hemp oil. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

mizhell wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but I have suffered from a number of issues that cannabis has helped me combat, I have used a vaporiser as I don't like to smoke.
    I would like this to be made legal as it means that if I need help I can get it without having to suffer stress and paranoia from feeling like I'm doing something wrong.... you may laugh, jeer and poke holes in this act but I applaud this man he has brought attention to a very important subject for many.
    You may not suffer, but people who do have been medicating themselves for years on cannabis I would like to have medication that I know has not been sprayed or tampered with and is grow or taken from a medically balanced crop.
    That's my experience and my opinion so please respect it I am not looking for an argument.

That is very true, he has done good work by bringing attention to this topic. Bringing an effective treatment to people that need it is a very serious issue. However I still question his true motives because he decided to ignore the legitimate medicines system we already have and instead propose the convoluted framework of his act.

• Advertisement

Exactly :)

Cannabis oil is by far the safest way to consume it. Concentrated THC and/or CBD (the two main cannabinoids) have been proven to kill cancer cells. Many groups worldwide have cured even terminal cancer patients by using hemp oil. :)

Then do that to lessen the image that the Joooooooe Duffy crowd will paint.

I have no problem it being a prescription drug like any other pill available to relive high levels of pain. Just wouldn't like the idea of a drug being consumed in a harmful way to patient who is already in a great deal of pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Nice to know she has SOME credible ideas then. Full legalisation (á la Netherlands) is probably a long way off, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be legalised for medicinal purposes.

Funny to think though that the same Government that went ridiculously over the top in slapping a blanket ban on headshop products is now considering legalising medicinal cannabis.
    Maybe because cannabis is better for you than some processed chewing gum arse hair that they proclaim to be weed?

Then do that to lessen the image that the Joooooooe Duffy crowd will paint.

I have no problem it being a prescription drug like any other pill available to relive high levels of pain. Just wouldn't like the idea of a drug being consumed in a harmful way to patient who is already in a great deal of pain.

The Duffy crowd will always be up in a heap about this stuff, it's their nature :)

Don't diss smoking it either, btw. Doctor Lester Grinspoon (a now activist for legalisation) gave it to his son when he was dying of leukemia. The difference? Night and day :)

Lester and Betsy Grinspoon first witnessed medical marijuana use in their own home. In 1971, doctors diagnosed their oldest son Danny with leukemia.

"Danny was torn apart by pain for hours," says Keith Stroup. The vomiting was awful. "Danny got to the point where he was not willing to go through chemotherapy."

Having no way to score weed, Lester asked one of Danny's high school friends to buy, Stroup relates.

"Danny smoked a couple hits of marijuana before chemo," Stroup says. "Instead of vomiting out the window on the way home, he stopped for a submarine sandwich. That's when Lester and his wife became sensitized to its importance as medicine."

penguin88 wrote: »
    That is very true, he has done good work by bringing attention to this topic. Bringing an effective treatment to people that need it is a very serious issue. However I still question his true motives because he decided to ignore the legitimate medicines system we already have and instead propose the convoluted framework of his act.

Trust me, he means well. He's one of the nicest guys you'd speak to and has a genuine passion for this cause. No wool over anyone's eyes!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Funny to think though that the same Government that went ridiculously over the top in slapping a blanket ban on headshop products is now considering legalising medicinal cannabis.
    I dont think they went over the top anymore. (I did, when I first heard about it tho) but really, the makers/suppliers of those legal drugs barely knew what the side effects were. Just made them and sold them.
    Atleast the government would have control of cannibis and know its contents/side effects/benefits. No one benefited from the headshops but the owners.

Fcuk the headshops, medicinal cannibis anyday. Even if I can get it.

Trust me, he means well. He's one of the nicest guys you'd speak to and has a genuine passion for this cause. No wool over anyone's eyes!

That's fair enough and I fully accept that! Still does not answer the question of why he feels cannabis is a special case and requires a different set of regulations than other medicines.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nice to know she has SOME credible ideas then. Full legalisation (á la Netherlands) is probably a long way off, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be legalised for medicinal purposes.

Cannabis is not fully legal in the Netherlands. It's still a controlled substance and coffeeshops are technically illegal, but the policy is not to apply the laws in place - something that the Irish justice system is often slated for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Ahh ffs I just moved to The Netherlands two weeks ago, great timing there lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

robby^5 wrote: »
    Ahh ffs I just moved to The Netherlands two weeks ago, great timing there lads.

Lol, did you move just for cannabis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭AKA pat sheen

Cannabis is not fully legal in the Netherlands.

Cannabis is fully legal in the Netherlands if it has been prescribed by a doctor.

Advertisement