Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BIG medicinal cannabis discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have read up a bit on this as I have MS and a good deal of pain. If I were allowed to use the medicinal cannabis, I could not drive, too much of a trade off for me at present.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭D.U.M.B

Here's an update on Gordon's meeting with Pat Carey, I got this from the Irish Cannabis News Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Cannabis-News/123599857690486

Gordon McArdle had his meeting with the minister for drugs Pat Carey today, here's the statement he has released

'The Minister and I have met and discussed my draft Bill. While the Minister for Health has power of a decision such as this, Minister Carey has offered further meetings with his staff to assist in the advancement of this proposal. The Health Minister has stated that while cannabis remains Schedule 1 here she is open to making changes to the Misuse of Drugs legislation to allow for the use of medical cannabis based drugs if expert advice indicates that a change is warranted. This is a positive step forward for the campaign and for patients across Ireland and the EU. We do not have a timeline in place yet to complete this process but are hopeful of positive progress being made shortly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Up until now I had not read this proposed "Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Act" and assumed it was part of a well intentioned campaign to allow cannabis-based medicines to be prescribed in this country. Having read through it, I can safely say that not only is it the act itself full of holes, it shows that the primary aim of the associated campaign is definitely not the welfare of patients.

If these campaigners really cared about patients, their proposal to the government would be a very simple one: reschedule THC/CBD to Schedule 2 of the Misuse of Drugs Act. Job done.

The cannabis and the chemical derived from it are not a special case, if they are to be used as medicines, they can fit into the existing medicines framework like any other drug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭D.U.M.B

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0910/1224278568389.html

MINISTER FOR Health Mary Harney has said she is open to making cannabis legal for medicinal purposes.

Ms Harney has sought legal advice on the effectiveness of the drug for the treatment of such conditions as multiple sclerosis and certain forms of cancer.

In a statement, the Department of Health and Children said it would make contact with relevant experts in the field with a view to making a recommendation to the Minister before the end of the year.

Ms Harney said in a parliamentary question last year that she did not propose a change in the law that would allow cannabis be used for medicinal purposes.

The department stressed there was “no question” of the Minister legalising cannabis itself.

Medicinal cannabis campaigner Gordon McArdle met with Minister for Community Affairs Pat Carey yesterday evening to discuss the issue.

Mr Carey has overall responsibility for the Government’s drugs strategy, but a spokeswoman for the Minister said he was meeting Mr McArdle because he was a constituent. Mr McArdle said he was “pleasantly surprised” at how open Ministers were to the idea of changing the law.

Mr McArdle maintains that the legalisation of medicinal cannabis would bring Ireland into line with the UK, Canada, Italy, Spain, Israel and 14 US states.

He said there ought to be a EU-wide approach to the problem, and a common strategy, and said he was not advocating the legalisation of cannabis in general, as that was a separate issue.

A Facebook page to have cannabis legalised as a medicinal drug has more than 4,000 supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

It'll lead to cocaine and others...

But seriously though, I don't see a problem. Personally, I'd avoid using it. I can see it's uses though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Maybe she thinks cannabis will help her lose weight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That's only because someone showed her a 9 bar & she thought it was chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Has she also said she is open to not eating for five fvcking minutes?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Buffalo soliderrrrrrrrr, in the heart of Americaaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

It'll lead to cocaine and others...

But seriously though, I don't see a problem. Personally, I'd avoid using it. I can see it's uses though.

They have made it clear that Cannabis is not going to be made legal for the general public....it's being proposed solely for genuine medicinal purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

She probably read 'Can o' Bisto' and thought it sounded nice.

Goodnight folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

she heard it gives you the munchies, the poor **** thought it was the sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

lol win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Nice to know she has SOME credible ideas then. Full legalisation (á la Netherlands) is probably a long way off, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be legalised for medicinal purposes.

Funny to think though that the same Government that went ridiculously over the top in slapping a blanket ban on headshop products is now considering legalising medicinal cannabis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

D.U.M.B wrote: »

MINISTER FOR Health Mary Harney has said she is open to making cannabis legal for medicinal purposes.

Ms Harney has sought legal advice on the effectiveness of the drug for the treatment of such conditions as multiple sclerosis and certain forms of cancer.

In a statement, the Department of Health and Children said it would make contact with relevant experts in the field with a view to making a recommendation to the Minister before the end of the year.

Ms Harney said in a parliamentary question last year that she did not propose a change in the law that would allow cannabis be used for medicinal purposes.

The department stressed there was “no question” of the Minister legalising cannabis itself.

Medicinal cannabis campaigner Gordon McArdle met with Minister for Community Affairs Pat Carey yesterday evening to discuss the issue.

Mr Carey has overall responsibility for the Government’s drugs strategy, but a spokeswoman for the Minister said he was meeting Mr McArdle because he was a constituent. Mr McArdle said he was “pleasantly surprised” at how open Ministers were to the idea of changing the law.

Mr McArdle maintains that the legalisation of medicinal cannabis would bring Ireland into line with the UK, Canada, Italy, Spain, Israel and 14 US states.

He said there ought to be a EU-wide approach to the problem, and a common strategy, and said he was not advocating the legalisation of cannabis in general, as that was a separate issue.

A Facebook page to have cannabis legalised as a medicinal drug has more than 4,000 supporters.

:eek::eek:

Is she sick or what?

barrackali wrote: »
    They have made it clear that Cannabis is not going to be made legal for the general public....it's being proposed solely for genuine medicinal purposes.

I wish. It's easy to get a dodgy doctor to get out of work/on the dole. I assume (I hope not though) that it's easy to get the same for legal cannabis. But for once the government might do something good. :rolleyes:

Nice to know she has SOME credible ideas then. Full legalisation (á la Netherlands) is probably a long way off, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be legalised for medicinal purposes.

Funny to think though that the same Government that went ridiculously over the top in slapping a blanket ban on headshop products is now considering legalising medicinal cannabis.

But wasn't the point of headshops (I haven't done drugs so my opinion isn't 100% correct) based on "legal highs"? So it was moreso that the government was annoyed instead of worried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

i never expected to hear it from her, im shocked .. hope it goes ahead at some stage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

penguin88 wrote: »
    Up until now I had not read this proposed "Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Act" and assumed it was part of a well intentioned campaign to allow cannabis-based medicines to be prescribed in this country. Having read through it, I can safely say that not only is it the act itself full of holes, it shows that the primary aim of the associated campaign is definitely not the welfare of patients.

If these campaigners really cared about patients, their proposal to the government would be a very simple one: reschedule THC/CBD to Schedule 2 of the Misuse of Drugs Act. Job done.

The cannabis and the chemical derived from it are not a special case, if they are to be used as medicines, they can fit into the existing medicines framework like any other drug.

You may wish to indicate the holes (amendable) but clearly the act goes beyond the patient as it includes care giver and physician protections and responsibilities.

Placing cannabis into schedule 2 category is unrealistic as it would be be in the same classification as opiates and cocaine. In fact it's hard to say where cannabis would fit into on the Schedules..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misuse_of_Drugs_Act_1984

schedule 3 is about stimulants, schedule 4 is about sedatives.
    Medicinal cannabis certainly does not belong in schedules 1-4, it requires it's own schedule. So what.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mizhell

I don't know about anyone else but I have suffered from a number of issues that cannabis has helped me combat, I have used a vaporiser as I don't like to smoke.
    I would like this to be made legal as it means that if I need help I can get it without having to suffer stress and paranoia from feeling like I'm doing something wrong.... you may laugh, jeer and poke holes in this act but I applaud this man he has brought attention to a very important subject for many.
    You may not suffer, but people who do have been medicating themselves for years on cannabis I would like to have medication that I know has not been sprayed or tampered with and is grow or taken from a medically balanced crop.
    That's my experience and my opinion so please respect it I am not looking for an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭30H!3

If Mary Harney has anything to do with cannabis being legalized, I will retract any bad statement I've ever made about her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tryin to win the young vote in the next election? Nice wan

Your move, Enda...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

pacifying the electorate eh Mary?

taking our minds off the recess - oooh Spongebob is on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Mary Harney is a dope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

barrackali wrote: »

And when people who begin to use it for genuine medicinal purposes fail to grow two heads like the scaremongerers would have you believe......... then you will see changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

GW Pharmaceuticals has a product to sell... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sativex

Cannabis based medicine is respectable big business, How could mary harney refuse :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

D.U.M.B wrote: »

If I were the Minister for Health, I would seek medical advice on that question instead. Just saying.

Right, what do i need to be diagnosed with?..

Randy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

fergalr wrote: »
    If I were the Minister for Health, I would seek medical advice on that question instead. Just saying.

It's already been clinically proven to be effective in treating loads of conditions. Researchers have actually been testing for the past 20-30 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

How about making it legal for purposes?

Advertisement