Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

First he wins 3 Majors, and now just when we thought it was all over, here he is, tied 64th! We're in dreamland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He's still Ireland's richest sports person. Fair play Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Joe Durant was good enough to bogey the last 8 holes :eek:. The last one on 18 lifted Paddy from T68 to T67 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Joe Durant was good enough to bogey the last 8 holes :eek:. The last one on 18 lifted Paddy from T68 to T67 :)

Boom get In paddy.
    Super stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

Wow, the last 10 events have been a nightmare!

T67
    MC
    MC
    T67
    T65
    MC
    MC
    T27
    MC
    MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

T67
    MC
    MC
    T67
    T65
    MC
    MC
    T27
    MC
    MC

I wonder does he have a limit in mind where he would concede that it is just gone and his competitiveness and career at that level is over ?
    Or does he have to keep grinding it out even if he is a permanent also-ran to fulfill sponsorship commitments from his major wins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I wonder does he have a limit in mind where he would concede that it is just gone and his competitiveness and career at that level is over ?
    Or does he have to keep grinding it out even if he is a permanent also-ran to fulfill sponsorship commitments from his major wins ?

I dont know why he doesnt concentrate on the European tour at the moment to try find his mojo back. The us tour, whilst more lucrative, is more difficult and the scoring is that bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Definitely should devote more time to "off course" activities.

He would be great as an ambassador for the game, with the R&A, the Special Olympics, lobbying for the Ryder Cup captaincy etc etc.

He's know as a student of golf's mental game. Perhaps the most important and strongest decision for him now looking at this seasons results is deciding to call it a day.

T67
    MC
    MC
    T67
    T65
    MC
    MC
    T27
    MC
    MC

In the words of D:REAM things can only get better. He has a big one coming. I can sense it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I know there comes an end point - But a couple of arm chair punters are not really in a great position to say when that is for a top sports person.
    He is built is a way that most on here can't comprehend. That is how , he grinded out 3 majors. When he was surrounded by pros with way more talent.
    I've been at golf outings and lads have headed in because of a bit of wind - or rain.
    Then these are the same lads who go on about Paddy and how he changed after 3 majors. But the sort of resolve these people have are the 1 or 2 %.
    I was listening to Derval O'Rourke (Hurdler) at weekend - the resolve they have is not natural - the amount of inspiration she got from people saying she was finished , amazing.

I see Padraig being a bit like that. He said a few worry things last year. He will have another low - but he will be back.

Same with Langer - He ended up 25th and 8th in last 2 masters.
    Padraig has more majors than Langer.

Padraig - is not going away.

Yes, maybe he needs a break
    A change

But he is not going anywhere - so if that is in your head, lads.

You will be watching that crazy walk and eyes for years to come. And into a senior career.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I dont know why he doesnt concentrate on the European tour at the moment to try find his mojo back. The us tour, whilst more lucrative, is more difficult and the scoring is that bit better.

Three of the majors are in the US, I'd say that has a lot to do with it...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

T67
    MC
    MC
    T67
    T65
    MC
    MC
    T27
    MC
    MC

True and the most depressing part of it is that he hasn't played completely terribly through most of the above!

Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a long way off the standards he set for himself over his career. But it's not as if he's been struggling to break 80 every round as players like David Duval & Michael Campbell were when they lost their games. It might be easier to accept if that were the case. Instead, in almost all of the above events he's been right on the cut mark all the way through Friday afternoon. More often than not he's fallen 1 or 2 shots the wrong side of the mark.

I can only imagine his constant battles against the cut are very mentally tiring. His stroke average on the PGA Tour this season is 71.9 per round. This is more or less Level Par on long championship courses but is still only good enough to be ranked 158 on the list. At present he might as well have a stroke average of 80 for all the good it's doing him.

I'd really love to see him turn things around but it's hard to be positive at the moment. It's depressing looking at leaderboards on Friday when you can almost guarantee that Padraig will be battling the cut. The standard is so high that there is very often only about 2-3 shots between 20th position and the cut line.

To be honest, if you exclude the Iskandor Johor Open in 2010 (which I dont) Padraig's last win outside the majors was at the 2007 Irish Open. That's SEVEN years ago. Yes hes not accustomed to these recent results on tour but in the last seven years, in fact you have to go back 9 years, the Barclays Classic to the last time Padraig won a regular PGA Tour event. Back when Padraig was a top tour player and was primarily a "regular tour event winner" obviously after his battle with the 2nd place finishes, winning many tournaments with 18+ under par totals.

At that stage in his career he admitted he was out of his depth (despite being arguably the best player in Europe) at the majors, especially in America. He stripped his game down completely then and transformed himself into a major winning machine perhaps deteriorating his "regular event" game winning 3 majors in two years and only the Irish Open since.

My point? Padraig's game, even now, is primarily suited to the majors and the major-like golf courses on the two tours. A lot of people on here are saying he should play more in Europe but 9 out of 10 events in Europe have a winning total of 18+ under par. Can you really see him competing in these events now? OK he will make the cuts easier due to the weaker fields but I dont believe he has a better chance of winning.

Missing this years Masters and the US Open is a disaster for him because I honestly believe he had a better chance of winning either of them, than ANY of the PGA tour events this season. Am I crazy?

In 2009 he couldve won the PGA championship if he parred that infamous 8 on the par 3. In 2012 if he converted his exceptional play tee to green he wouldve most definitely won the Masters and then again at that years US Open he was one shot away from winning the US Open by going for the birdie on the last! He's always going to be a force in the Open aswel. His game has been in the doldrums for the past 6 years yet he couldve grinded out another 3 majors through this period. The big problem now is he needs something big to happen to stay competing in them!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In all honesty there's not much difference between Clarke when he won The Open and Paddy nowadays, he can still do it if he clicks and gets a few friendly bounces here and there, I believe so anyhow...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

To be honest, if you exclude the Iskandor Johor Open in 2010 (which I dont) Padraig's last win outside the majors was at the 2007 Irish Open. That's SEVEN years ago. Yes hes not accustomed to these recent results on tour but in the last seven years, in fact you have to go back 9 years, the Barclays Classic to the last time Padraig won a regular PGA Tour event. Back when Padraig was a top tour player and was primarily a "regular tour event winner" obviously after his battle with the 2nd place finishes, winning many tournaments with 18+ under par totals.

At that stage in his career he admitted he was out of his depth (despite being arguably the best player in Europe) at the majors, especially in America. He stripped his game down completely then and transformed himself into a major winning machine perhaps deteriorating his "regular event" game winning 3 majors in two years and only the Irish Open since.

My point? Padraig's game, even now, is primarily suited to the majors and the major-like golf courses on the two tours. A lot of people on here are saying he should play more in Europe but 9 out of 10 events in Europe have a winning total of 18+ under par. Can you really see him competing in these events now? OK he will make the cuts easier due to the weaker fields but I dont believe he has a better chance of winning.

Missing this years Masters and the US Open is a disaster for him because I honestly believe he had a better chance of winning either of them, than ANY of the PGA tour events this season. Am I crazy?

In 2009 he couldve won the PGA championship if he parred that infamous 8 on the par 3. In 2012 if he converted his exceptional play tee to green he wouldve most definitely won the Masters and then again at that years US Open he was one shot away from winning the US Open by going for the birdie on the last! He's always going to be a force in the Open aswel. His game has been in the doldrums for the past 6 years yet he couldve grinded out another 3 majors through this period. The big problem now is he needs something big to happen to stay competing in them!

I wouldn't disagree that he has always been better suited to tougher courses as opposed to birdie fests, he was never that sort of player. IMO he stripped his game down a lot earlier though, it was around the time of the US Open that Furyk won I think that he started the process. I think too much is made of the differentiation between major winning game and regular tour game, its still golf, its still about hitting it from A to B and getting it in the hole in as few shots as possible. All he did really was learn how to hit the ball a bit straighter and a bit better to be honest - a massive undertaking all the same.

He was regularly a contender in the big events, anytime you see PGA Tour Classics on TV from 8/10 years ago, his name is invariably on the first page or two of leaderboards. He might not have won as many as he might but he still has an awful lot of wins and was a serious contender in every event he entered.

I do think though that there's a bit of rose tinted glasses going on to think he has a chance of winning a major anytime soon or has a better chance in the majors. In theory the tougher courses might suit him, but on the flip side, ALL the best players turn up at a major and, at the moment, he simply doesn't have the game to compete with them, no matter what the course. The margins are tiny and it could be argued that he played reasonably well in missing all those cuts this season, but he still missed them, that's how small the margins are at the top level and right now, he's not there. He could of course have a Stenson like comeback and I suppose he might sneak an Open if the weather is bad and the breaks go his way, a la Clarke a few years ago, but I doubt it.

Its funny (in a strange way) that once upon a time we hoped he'd win, then we hoped he'd contend, more recently we hoped he'd make a cut and now we're hoping he simply gets into an event.

I don't know what the best course for him is, Europe or PGA Tour, I can't believe he's in the States because of the majors, sure he's not in 2 of the 3 US ones. Maybe a stint back in Europe might do him good, playing different conditions, rediscovering himself, who knows. He has nothing to prove to anyone and if he never hit another golf shot he's still our most successful golfer (at least til Rory surpasses him :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Did he not say recently that he has the yips??

Not going to win anything if that's true - would be lucky to recover now that the option of the broom handle is gone in 2016 :(

Russman wrote: »
    I wouldn't disagree that he has always been better suited to tougher courses as opposed to birdie fests, he was never that sort of player. IMO he stripped his game down a lot earlier though, it was around the time of the US Open that Furyk won I think that he started the process. I think too much is made of the differentiation between major winning game and regular tour game, its still golf, its still about hitting it from A to B and getting it in the hole in as few shots as possible. All he did really was learn how to hit the ball a bit straighter and a bit better to be honest - a massive undertaking all the same.

He was regularly a contender in the big events, anytime you see PGA Tour Classics on TV from 8/10 years ago, his name is invariably on the first page or two of leaderboards. He might not have won as many as he might but he still has an awful lot of wins and was a serious contender in every event he entered.

I do think though that there's a bit of rose tinted glasses going on to think he has a chance of winning a major anytime soon or has a better chance in the majors. In theory the tougher courses might suit him, but on the flip side, ALL the best players turn up at a major and, at the moment, he simply doesn't have the game to compete with them, no matter what the course. The margins are tiny and it could be argued that he played reasonably well in missing all those cuts this season, but he still missed them, that's how small the margins are at the top level and right now, he's not there. He could of course have a Stenson like comeback and I suppose he might sneak an Open if the weather is bad and the breaks go his way, a la Clarke a few years ago, but I doubt it.

Its funny (in a strange way) that once upon a time we hoped he'd win, then we hoped he'd contend, more recently we hoped he'd make a cut and now we're hoping he simply gets into an event.

I don't know what the best course for him is, Europe or PGA Tour, I can't believe he's in the States because of the majors, sure he's not in 2 of the 3 US ones. Maybe a stint back in Europe might do him good, playing different conditions, rediscovering himself, who knows. He has nothing to prove to anyone and if he never hit another golf shot he's still our most successful golfer (at least til Rory surpasses him :)).

I'm not saying I think he will win one of the majors I just believe we are more likely to see him in contention in a major over a 20 under par event.

I also believe there is a big difference between regular events and majors in terms of a players game. Just look at the likes of Cabrera for example. It's not just having to hit it straighter. IMO it's all about the mentality of a player in a major. 90% of the players in a regular PGA Tour/European Tour event can win, 25% of the field in a major event can win.

Lee Westwood proves it every year! In fact he proved it two weeks ago. He won a regular event the following week!

In the majors, everything is asked of you, driving, iron play, pitching, putting, but most importantly, focus and character. Granted, there can be a few exceptions to the case, when a player wins one in a once off.

Your right about Harrington stripping his game down earlier, my point was just that he knew he needed change to adapt to the major tournaments.

His game is very poor at the moment and your right, there's no indication he can compete in a major with the strongest fields in golf. However his game was in similar shape coming into the 2012 us open and he could've won. I think his confidence is completely gone at the minute and that's what's reflecting his awful results.

My argument towards this is simple. He's missed a truck load of cuts. But by how many shots? 1 or 2 almost every time. I'll agree he's "past it" or he should "take a massive break from golf" if he was missing the cuts by 10 shots! Confidence in your game turns you into a player scraping for cuts into a player competing again. How he finds that confidence I don't know.

Lets move on now anyway to this week. Quail Hollow. Typically a major-type course with no more than 10 under par as a winning total. I'm going to try a different tactic this week by saying Padraig has absolutely no chance of competing this week. In fact he's destined to finish last in this top class field.

Reverse psychology works sometimes for Jose Mourinho.............?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Lets move on now anyway to this week. Quail Hollow. Typically a major-type course with no more than 10 under par as a winning total. I'm going to try a different tactic this week by saying Padraig has absolutely no chance of competing this week. In fact he's destined to finish last in this top class field.

Reverse psychology works sometimes for Jose Mourinho.............?

Siege mentality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

snaphook wrote: »
    Definitely should devote more time to "off course" activities.

He would be great as an ambassador for the game, with the R&A, the Special Olympics, lobbying for the Ryder Cup captaincy etc etc.

He's know as a student of golf's mental game. Perhaps the most important and strongest decision for him now looking at this seasons results is deciding to call it a day.

Call it a day. What? Seriously? He's 42. Why would he call it a day? I believe maybe it is time he returned to the European Tour. But I am sure he can turn things around for himself and win a couple more times on tour before heading onto the champions tour maybe. People saying he should call it a day obviously know very little about Harrington.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

call it a day at 42? might as well give up altogether :( no i believe there still is some good tournaments out there waiting for Harrington to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Call it a day. What? Seriously? He's 42. Why would he call it a day? I believe maybe it is time he returned to the European Tour. But I am sure he can turn things around for himself and win a couple more times on tour before heading onto the champions tour maybe. People saying he should call it a day obviously know very little about Harrington.
    I'd love to see more of him on the European Tour, and maybe it would get his confidence up. Bigger money on the PGA tour is the attraction for him, I suppose, but he is also facing stiffer competition there and probably more missed cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭deko43

Els and Clarke both came from nowwhere to win recent opens. Mind you they dissapeared back to nowhere pretty soon after.
    Mabey that's Paddys fate...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

You will be watching that crazy walk and eyes for years to come.

I hope so Fix, that look (esp when he's just hit a shot and has his tongue between his teeth) is the best in the game!

Really hope he hits a purple patch and wins another Open.

"Beware of the injured golfer"

Harro jarred his neck in early practice this week, kept the practice to a minimum and spent basically all of his time chipping and putting. Personally I think this is great news. Might help him focus more on scoring now.

Good luck Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

remember he injured his wrist a week before he won the british open in 2008. my god i thought that was it, proved me wrong and what i loved more is that i won a decent amount of money on him winning as well :o

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭webels

2 under after 14. Good start

3 under now. Chipping and putting well

• Advertisement

He is BACK!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement