Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

GreeBo wrote: »
    I dont think a new caddy is going to help with missing putts and chipping poorly?

There arent too many caddys out there who are 3 time major winners either;
    you cant have it both ways. either Ronan was a passenger for the Majors or he was part of it. If he was a passenger then surely current problems can be caused by a passenger caddy...

Don't get me wrong, it might sound like I'm having a go at ronan but I'm not. When Harrington was at his best Ronan was exactly the kind of caddy he needed. I just think now it's time for something different. As mentioned above, Colin Byrne would be a great choice however I don't think Colin Byrne would even want the job!

His bad play is solely down to his own game, but in a fickle game like golf a change in personal to a change in swing thought, or even to a change in ball position can all of a sudden give you confidence and a new feel for the game. I'd say he's used up every swing thought so let's try a change of caddy! 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

The "blame the caddy" argument really bugs me. Same story with people saying Rory needs to get rid of JP ... lets just forget the majors and multiple wins when he was on the bag. At the end of the day... it's the player who hits the shots.

Paddy is in a slump right now and has been for some time. Ronan can't assist with preventing the yips. Hopefully sooner rather than later, Paddy will find form again but when/if he does, it won't be a new caddy's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Russman

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    The "blame the caddy" argument really bugs me. Same story with people saying Rory needs to get rid of JP ... lets just forget the majors and multiple wins when he was on the bag. At the end of the day... it's the player who hits the shots.

Paddy is in a slump right now and has been for some time. Ronan can't assist with preventing the yips. Hopefully sooner rather than later, Paddy will find form again but when/if he does, it won't be a new caddy's doing.

Stop speaking sense in a Padraig Harrington thread, there's straws to be grasped at :):)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

The "blame the caddy" argument really bugs me.
    The importance of a caddy is vastly overstated throughout golf. I remember Nick Faldo during the final round of a British open raving on about how Adam Scott's good form was down to have Steve "I've won 140 + tournaments" Williams* on the bag and that his experience would guide scott to victory. Scott proceeded to blow a massive lead and hand the title to Els.

*You've won nothing Steve, and you never will win anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Paddy is in a slump end of career decline right now and has been for some time.

A caddy cant do anything about that. He may as well hang on to Ronan at this stage until he hangs up the clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

The importance of a caddy is vastly overstated throughout golf. I remember Nick Faldo during the final round of a British open raving on about how Adam Scott's good form was down to have Steve "I've won 140 + tournaments" Williams* on the bag and that his experience would guide scott to victory. Scott proceeded to blow a massive lead and hand the title to Els.

*You've won nothing Steve, and you never will win anything.

I'd agree to a certain extent, but I would say that the importance of a caddy would vary hugely from player to player. I can't imagine someone like Nick Faldo needing soothing words of reassurance after putting 2 in the water, whereas some players need someone to calm them down, bring them back into the moment, etc. It's a personality thing to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Don't get me wrong about the caddy - it certainly is NOT Ronan's fault that Padraig is having a slump, and I am not blaming him. I just feel that Padraig has run out of ideas about how to turn things around, and it must be doing his head in. Having a different voice going around the course with him just MIGHT spark something. I think he should try ANYTHING at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Every player is different some players lean on caddies more than others

You can't really know if a particular caddy is of more help to a particular golfer or would be the same as the next caddy
    Id suggest only the golfers know

Seems like a re union of Westwood and billy foster may have helped him..... Who knows....

If you were on a slide to the bottom maybe someone like Colin Byrne or Fanny might be worth a try for the 2nd half of the season

On a side note I'd watch to see if Jordan Spieth has the same guy on the bag next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

Just on the caddy; What sort of arrangement is there paywise in general. He's obviously not getting any prizemoney to speak of. Is it retainer plus %winnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

peepee wrote: »
    Just on the caddy; What sort of arrangement is there paywise in general. He's obviously not getting any prizemoney to speak of. Is it retainer plus %winnings?

The standard is a 1-1.5k per week + about 5-10% of winnings I think. I'm sure it deviates from that with the top pros though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Completely agree with the new caddy thing. His decisions need to be challenged by a more experienced man on the bag.

I think that might be a misunderstanding of the caddy role. I don't think the caddy is there to challenge his player's decisions. Surely He's there to, relay factual information and agree with & reassure his player.

Perhaps very occasionally he would offer advice contrary to what the player might be thinking.

This would be particularly the case for more experienced tour players, whatever about a really experienced caddy coupled with a newcomer to the tour.

The general sense on this thread now seems to be that he should not change his caddy but there is a complete misunderstanding as to why people are saying he should. Quotes like "the caddy cant get rid of Padraig's putting yips" etc. My reasons are simple for trying a new caddy. If Harro sacked Ronan it would be a massive life changing decision for him as he spends most of his time with Ronan off the course too. A new man on the bag with new methods and a fresh mindset can instill a different approach to a players mind.

For the post about Adam Scott changing to Stevie Williams I find it laughable to think you dont believe Stevie had a difference in Scotts game. Scott did throw away the Open (after winning the Bridgestone) but previously he had never even been in contention in an Open and he won the Masters the following year. Last weekend he had a chance to become World No.1 and he repeatedly thanks Stevie for the change in Scott's confidence. In fact Scott is the perfect example against your point!

Ronan is absolutely 100% not at fault for Padraig's woe's (despite what people seem to be misunderstanding about the argument) but there are many examples of a change in a players mindset and confidence when changing caddies when they are in a decline, In 2011 Ernie Els split with his long time caddy and friend, Ricci Roberts because he needed something "fresh". He won the Open the following year. Luke Donald had his brother on the bag after a successful enough spell up until 2008. He sacked him and began his rise to world no 1. Stenson and Westwood both done the same. None of these caddies played any of the shots or took any of the putts but something worked. This is my argument for a new caddy. I'm not sure what the argument against it is apart from "he won 3 majors with Ronan years ago" and "the caddy cant get rid of the yips"

For the point about my apparent misunderstanding of a caddies role, here as a very interesting article about Dustin Johnson's interaction with his caddie which we often don't hear on camera. http://www.weiunderpar.com/post/an-interesting-interaction-between-dustin-johnson-and-caddie-joe-lacava

To be fair, Adam Scott's turnaround was largely (granted not 100%) down to the long putter. Plus he's far more naturally talented than most pros, even those with better records. If anything, Stevie gave him a bit of the killer instinct he might have lacked. PH never lacked (and still doesn't IMO) that ruthlessness, but his game just isn't there anymore and he's not the sort to rely on his native ability to get him through.

PH is way past a new caddie making a difference IMO. Perhaps a return to Bob Torrence might be more beneficial, if not technically, as he's hitting it well by his standards, than maybe rekindling some of the emotions from 6/7 years ago. Sacking his brother in law surely is a recipe for even more emotional upheaval ?

Russman wrote: »
    To be fair, Adam Scott's turnaround was largely (granted not 100%) down to the long putter. Plus he's far more naturally talented than most pros, even those with better records. If anything, Stevie gave him a bit of the killer instinct he might have lacked. PH never lacked (and still doesn't IMO) that ruthlessness, but his game just isn't there anymore and he's not the sort to rely on his native ability to get him through.

PH is way past a new caddie making a difference IMO. Perhaps a return to Bob Torrence might be more beneficial, if not technically, as he's hitting it well by his standards, than maybe rekindling some of the emotions from 6/7 years ago. Sacking his brother in law surely is a recipe for even more emotional upheaval ?

I'd love to see him back on the links in Largs in Scotland practicing with Bob Torrance so I'd agree with that point.

I'm sure his relationship with Ronan wouldn't disintegrate if they parted ways I mean he's his brother in law? His good friend. I doubt if it would lead to any turmoil mentally. Padraig will stop at nothing to rekindle his career at this stage so I'm sure it has crossed Ronans mind that this would/could eventually happen.

Padraig will stop at nothing to rekindle his career at this stage so I'm sure it has crossed Ronans mind that this would/could eventually happen.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ronan has already suggested it to PH. Even a conservative guess at Ronan's percentage for the last how many years would suggest he wouldn't be under pressure to get another bag immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Plentyofice

Ye always know you're in trouble when you "Start focusing on your focus" !!!!
    Nick Faldo suffered similar with paralysis by analysis. Why not just go back to Bob Torrance to help rekindle the old sparkle. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Russman wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if Ronan has already suggested it to PH. Even a conservative guess at Ronan's percentage for the last how many years would suggest he wouldn't be under pressure to get another bag immediately.

I think you're right....they probably have discussed it. Would love to have been a fly on the all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

n 2011 Ernie Els split with his long time caddy and friend, Ricci Roberts because he needed something "fresh". He won the Open the following year.

Roberts was on the bag when Els won in 2012.

http://m.zimbio.com/photos/Ernie+Els/141st+Open+Championship+Final+Round/NtTweOzVolQ
    Dont entirely disagree with what youre saying though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

n 2011 Ernie Els split with his long time caddy and friend, Ricci Roberts because he needed something "fresh". He won the Open the following year.

http://m.zimbio.com/photos/Ernie+Els/141st+Open+Championship+Final+Round/NtTweOzVolQ

Apologies. The source I read about this was wrong. It said Dan Quinn (whoever he is) was the caddy for Els at the end of 2011 and onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I was just reading that padraig is planning to run a series of charity golf clinics in the future. Something he did a number of years ago (before he'd won the 3 majors I think)

Could be very interesting, plus it's for a good cause

Apologies. The source I read about this was wrong. It said Dan Quinn (whoever he is) was the caddy for Els at the end of 2011 and onwards.

I think Ernie and Ricci have split up quite a few times over the years, so your point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

harri seems to e playing well, 2 under threw 5 holes.. 4 under leading at the moment. so lets hope..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

harri seems to e playing well, 2 under threw 5 holes.. 4 under leading at the moment. so lets hope..

Still -2 through 11 now. Currently inside the top ten...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

Good recovery by Padraig after dropping two shots at his 14th and 15th holes. Birdie-birdie finish for two under and currently in a tie for 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

not to bad, a couple of bogies but birdies on the last 2 rough him back to the 2 under, leaders only on 4 under..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

He's back !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Right can we stop this "He's back" nonsense. It's clearly just an exercise in "thanks" mongering for a few simpletons that frequent this thread/forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

not to bad, a couple of bogies but birdies on the last 2 rough him back to the 2 under, leaders only on 4 under..

I just want him to get to the weekend. No big blow up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Felexicon wrote: »
    I just want him to get to the weekend. No big blow up tomorrow.
    I wish I could thank this multiple times. I love PH, would love nothing more than him to come out tomorrow and shot a par round. That would leave him in the top 40. Then a good weekend into the top 20. That would be great!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement