Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Jimmy should stick to the singing , RTE radio 1 is sounding like Mental Hospital FM

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

One of my all-time favourite JMcC songs is The Contender.

I think (hope!) he's unlikely to play that today though......

• Registered Users Posts: 19 asterix

I just googled a picture of Jimmy McCarthy. He looks like John Murray with hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/presenter-john-murray-leaves-morning-show-on-rte-radio-1-31332778.html

John Murray to leave the morning show.

While I wish the man no ill, and indeed would wish him every good in his future, and hope he finds a show more suited to his talents (I loved him when he presented The Business), all I can say is thank goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/presenter-john-murray-leaves-morning-show-on-rte-radio-1-31332778.html

John Murray to leave the morning show.

While I wish the man no ill, and indeed would wish him every good in his future, and hope he finds a show more suited to his talents (I loved him when he presented The Business), all I can say is thank goodness.

Yes, I would second that, but it was obvious, from almost day one , he wasn't suited to the format presented between 9 and 10.

Complete disaster of casting, production, which started from the pedantic introduction to the painfully unfunny lead in ' merriment' to start the programme .
    PersonLly I don't think John is a 'front line presenter' by a long long chalk, he seemed to waver between serious and. Light and fails badly at both.

No gravitas, no personality, but perhaps it's behind the scenes he might be more useful.

Richard Curran is streets ahead as a presenter of The Business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Brendan O'Connor is the temporary replacement, he has filled in for John Murray before. I think he could be a good choice, if he gets an extended run Brendan might do something good with the slot.
    It’s been announced this afternoon that Brendan O’Connor will be on air at 9am next month and will present that hour-long slot for the month of July.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/john-murray-brendan-oconnor-2184357-Jun2015/

As pretty much everyone else said, John Murray never seemed at home in that slot. His 'comedy' was rotten and he never really seemed like a good fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Skid X wrote: »
    Brendan O'Connor is the temporary replacement, he has filled in for John Murray before. I think he could be a good choice, if he gets an extended run Brendan might do something good with the slot.

Hopefully Brendan is better on radio than TV - I've seen bits of his Saturday Show here and there and always found the style forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Yes, I would second that, but it was obvious, from almost day one , he wasn't suited to the format presented between 9 and 10.

Complete disaster of casting, production, which started from the pedantic introduction to the painfully unfunny lead in ' merriment' to start the programme .
    PersonLly I don't think John is a 'front line presenter' by a long long chalk, he seemed to waver between serious and. Light and fails badly at both.

No gravitas, no personality, but perhaps it's behind the scenes he might be more useful.

Richard Curran is streets ahead as a presenter of The Business

I think a major weakness was that much of the show was given over to music, a subject which he seemed to have had had little knowledge or appreciation of. In interviews it was mainly a case of reading out a list of questions and not listening to the answers. Cringeworthy stuff all of it. Like you say, perhaps it's behind the scenes he will find his niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Didn't Brendan fill in for Marion one weekend? I dont remember him doing it for John. I think they should totally revamp the show, not just the presenter.

But this is RTE, and they generally don't change things much.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bandit14

IMO the John Murray show be banned !!! Scraped I tell you !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

If nothing else, at least the opening 'jokes' will be better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

well not before time, this thing was rotting away slowly like roadkill on a hot summer day. was very unpleasant to listen to. john murray was anice man and im sure talented in some niche weekend programme. this show was terrible. what about starting sean orourke at 9am until 11 then lighting the thing up. at least you move from news to currrent affairs smoothly

Dickie10 wrote: »
    well not before time, this thing was rotting away slowly like roadkill on a hot summer day. was very unpleasant to listen to. john murray was anice man and im sure talented in some niche weekend programme. this show was terrible. what about starting sean orourke at 9am until 11 then lighting the thing up. at least you move from news to currrent affairs smoothly

I believe the 'heads' out there believe that starting the Current Affairs show at 0900 would be an overload of ' hard news' for the listener, that he/ she needs a break after MI before launching in to SOR and to an extent I agree.

I think BOC could be a good choice, only time will tell.

Get rid of the stupid competitions, the 'reality ' aspect, keep pace and tempo nice and brisk, the content light, but not too light and you might get at least one listener back;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭vertmann

So has JM been pushed or did he fall on his own sword I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I have to sa I found jm to be really poor in this slot, and like others, im not sure he is cut out for Fri ntline broadcasting. I used to listen to Newstalk breakfast,, but it has fallen back terribly in the last few months. The morning slot is wide open for someone who can come at it with a new cocept with some original,ideas, or even perhaps, the old ideas, done well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

jimmyw wrote: »
    Didn't Brendan fill in for Marion one weekend? I dont remember him doing it for John. I think they should totally revamp the show, not just the presenter.

But this is RTE, and they generally don't change things much.

He's filling in for her as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

jimmyw wrote: »
    Didn't Brendan fill in for Marion one weekend? I dont remember him doing it for John.

He did the John Murray show for a week in March

http://radiotoday.ie/2015/03/oconnor-to-deputise-for-murray-on-rte-radio-1-show/

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

amazing how long it takes rte to get rid of poor presenters, ie jm, derek mooney etc. Ah well JM can have a slot after DM on sunday night.

So, they're going to make it Rays show?? They soon realised how bad he is in the evenings! "Broadcaster Brendan O'Connor will take over the slot for the month of July. It is believed either O'Connor or recent recruit Ray D'Arcy will replace Murray as host in the autumn." http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/rt-axes-john-murrays-show-from-morning-radio-slot-31333842.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

How would they approach moving D'Arcy so soon after starting the 3pm show? Will they spin it as "going back to his natural home" or something? I guess they think putting him in that slot will pull listeners from Today FM. I could well see it happening tbh.

If the above happens, I can see Tubridy moving to the 3-4:30 slot for Monday-Thursday and Mooney Goes Wild back to its Friday slot.

• Advertisement

How would they approach moving D'Arcy so soon after starting the 3pm show? Will they spin it as "going back to his natural home" or something? I guess they think putting him in that slot will pull listeners from Today FM. I could well see it happening tbh.

If the above happens, I can see Tubridy moving to the 3-4:30 slot for Monday-Thursday and Mooney Goes Wild back to its Friday slot.

Putting Ray up against Anton would show up Rays failings. Anton sounds just like Ray, but is a nice man, who listens to his interviewees and offers impartial input. Ray is opinionated and lets everyone know that it's his way only and as far as he's concerned, other opinions don't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Jaysus, spare us Tubridy please. It hardly seems five years (is it?) since he moved on from the 9am slot!

My own opinion is that RTE should rethink this space - if the rationale is to provide some 'relief' from two news type programmes, then they should bit the bullet and put on something completely different - the sort of halfway house between light entertainment and news stories is hard to balance and sustain over any period of time.

Why don't they just embrace the news/ current affairs agenda but looking to regional news? A sort of Nationwide for the radio. Something like World Report, except based on stories from around the country. There's loads of options in that and real public service broadcasting. Might cost more to produce though I guess.

Or an Arts programme?

Radio1 is basically talk radio so they should play to that and keep people tuned in rather than hitting the off switch at 9am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Ray has failed, it's hilarious listening to him scan the papers @ 15:00

Every story he picks has already been beaten to death by 12:00

He knows nothing else, there's not a creative thought or conversation in him and this was clearly exposed in the afternoon slot.

Now watch failure being rewarded. Well done Ray!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So RTE are going to pay Ray Darcy half a million Euros a year to broadcast for one hour, five days of the week?

2 grand an hour!

FFS.

Joe Duffy would be proud.

So RTE are going to pay Ray Darcy half a million Euros a year to broadcast for one hour, five days of the week?

2 grand an hour!

FFS.

Joe Duffy would be proud.

Even more bad news Michael, you are contributing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

RTE need to rethink this slot. At the moment, it's a comedy-magazine-music mishmash. I actually don't care for some hungover muso reminiscing about the rare owl times before croaking out a few desiccated hits before 10am. The fresh-faced young bands who've been dropped off at Montrose by their mums on the school run are just heartbreaking. As if the core RTE Radio 1 audience is gonna be rushing out to buy a 45 any time soon.

RTE need to rethink this slot. At the moment, it's a comedy-magazine-music mishmash. I actually don't care for some hungover muso reminiscing about the rare owl times before croaking out a few desiccated hits before 10am. The fresh-faced young bands who've been dropped off at Montrose by their mums on the school run are just heartbreaking. As if the core RTE Radio 1 audience is gonna be rushing out to buy a 45 any time soon.

Indeed Mrs. I concur with that view, in fact if you go back to the start of the thread a FlutterinBantam poster got this right( along with numerous others) and right from the get-go predicted that this debacle would not 'fly'.

In my opinion anyway R1 should be a hard news station.

In my opinion there is no place for Ronan Collins on R1 in the core hours,if the listeners want that there are plenty of other stTions where it might be appropriate.
    Nothing against Ronan, but not on R 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Deliberately caught a few minutes of this show today in advance of the plug being pulled, for all I knew it could have been a recording of a show from 2 years ago... Same old, same old.

Nothing personal against JM, he's an honest guy trying his best, but unfortunately coming up short, that's the harsh reality of the situation right there.

What puzzles me is this...

Why has the format of the show remained virtually unchanged since day 1??
    We are a nation of eccentrics and characters, hire some freelance hungry researchers to find them and bring them to the airwaves!!

I don't want this slot to be used to promote other RTE shows or some poor unfortunate with terminal illness.

I want to know about the chancer who has spent the last 20 years trying to build an airplane in his garden shed or a local boxing club trying to raise money with a 24 hour sausage frying competition.

I really can't see this show being remembered for anything really, which is a pretty sad indictment for all concerned.

I never felt an air of control from JM, it was as if everyone around the show knew it wasn't going to be a permanent fixture which translated into some pretty mind-numbing and lazily researched items.

Not good enough for such an important time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

So ends the greatest waste of airtime in recent years. Good things come to those who wait, ie in this case, the sound of silence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ann Gildea is insufferable.

I find it very undignified how she has used her serious illness as a cash cow.

Advertisement