Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole claimants may have to work in community

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I guarantee theyll be targeting those on long term benefits first. The ones who've been queueing for benefits but not jobhunting. Not people whove just lost their jobs.

It doesn't actually mention that in the article though. Fair enough if they're targetting scroungers but it just smells like some half-thought out idea by somebody who's following Tory policies too closely.
    mikom wrote: »
    Yeah, much better to let them sit at home watching Judge Judy.

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned the graduates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

I guarantee theyll be targeting those on long term benefits first. The ones who've been queueing for benefits but not jobhunting. Not people whove just lost their jobs.

I really hope they do! 100% support this

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Think it's a great idea..I'm on the dole at the moment and would love to do something like this during the day, when I'm not looking for work.Most days i'm bored to tears and would be happy to help out in my local community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I always get them the wrong way round, but you are entitled to a year of payments based on what you have paid in PRSI in the preceding year, right? I cant remember whether that is jobseekers allowance or jobseekers benefit. People shouldnt be made to work during this time - they are entitled to their money and should spend the time trying to find a job.

Anyway, when you are past a year you switch to the other one, right? I have never understood why at this stage people are not made to do something for their dole money. Voluntary work seems like a great idea.

So the recently laid off worker gets a year to find a job, which is plenty. Then after that people should be forced to get off their ass and do something productive, surely??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Collie D wrote: »

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned the graduates

That's the late night movie....... Judge Judy is on earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Collie D wrote: »
    What experience would an out of work accountant or a recently graduated law student get from sweeping streets?

A shi!te experience!! but for the people that are on the dole and doing nothing except drinking and being bums in general ,it might make them think of a new career path;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I have no idea how it has not been mentioned yet but here is the problem with it:
    It is envisaged that the new participants will be involved in areas like after school services, childcare, services for older people and environmental projects, as well as in the improvement of sports and tourist facilities.

After school service, childcare, services for old people - these are jobs that should catered to by fully qualified and fully vetted personal only.

Children and old people - two of the most vulnerable groups in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Miss Ogyne

Personally I think the question should be asked that if these 10,000 jobs exist to place people on the dole into for minimum wage then why aren't they being advertised so that said people on the dole can apply for them and maybe get paid a fair wage? I mean I'm pretty sure that if these "jobs" exist and were advertised in the normal manner they'd be snapped up straight away which would take 10,000 people off the live register anyway. This will go in the same was as Fas's WPP fiasco, employers get free employees, everyone works for nothing and people coming new into the jobs markert will end up on the dole (because no one will hire for a wage when they can get employees for free) and will then be forced to go out and be that free employee. It kinda makes an education pointless if all you have to look forward to at the end is sweeping the streets/ cleaning grafitti.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Thank it's a great idea..I'm on the dole at the moment and would love to do something like this during the day, when I'm not looking for work.Most days i'm bored to tears and would be happy to help out in my local community.

You are on the dole and bored, oh a heart breaking story, how about you get off your lazy ass and act off your own bat.

Or are you one of these people who wants to drag the rest with you?

The-Rigger wrote: »

Children and old people - two of the most vulnerable groups in society.

Oh yeah.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

After the first year the dole should start being cut down to where it is no more than 100 euro a week after 3 years. The dole is a career in this country and disability is as good as a degree, it's all wrong.

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    You are on the dole and bored, oh a heart breaking story, how about you get off your lazy ass and act off your own bat.

Rovert currently banned........... I smell an alt account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

Good idea. As long as businesses are not allowed to have these people. They must only do community work or work that wont take an otherwise paying job out of the economy.
    It better not be like the WPP scheme, which employers are now taking people on at the tax payers expense where they would normally have had to pay their staff themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Why are they saying only 10,000 will be in the scheme, why not everybody on the dole, tbh i think they should have to tidy tax payers houses, iron clothes, cut the lawn etc for anyone working, it's only fair.

your post reflects your user name :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I know a man who has worked for 30 years, now he is on the dole.

You little bigots would now suggest that he should be degraded to picking up litter in town centers with a high vis vest on his back.

CLOWNS, the lot of you.

Sorry for the late response I was looking for my really small violin to play a really sad song.

Yeah so what. clean the streets. If Council workers can do it and collect bins I don't see why people on the dole are too good to do it. If anything it'll make the younger dole hounds too embarrassed to not look for a job. The whole stigma of being a scrubber to their mates will force them to look for a job. I was on the dole before and I managed to do charity work and look for a job. I now have a job and still whenever possible donate time to doing charity work. So why can't someone who does pretty much nothing all day not do anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

This is after hours! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Miss Ogyne

In his defence
    when I'm not looking for work

sounds to me like he is getting off his lazy ass and acting off his own bat. I fail to see the reason for your attack of what he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Childcare is already known for being a poor paying job.
    Work in a creche and you'll be doing well to get over minimum wage.

And now childcare is going to included in this scheme.
    This is going to end up like the WPP, new vacancies go to staff on welfare instead of hiring somebody on a proper wage.

And most county councils are laying off temporary staff.
    If there are temporary council staff still working they better be concerned for their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

People will be able to get out of it very easily if they want, I can imagine now people showing up smelling like **** and doing the bear min and fighting with the other workers just so they will be left out of the scheme:D.

If you start any of that you lose your dole. there has to be stringent rules to stop it being a total p!ss take

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Slavery ended in America after the Civil war, it looks as if it is about to be introduced to Ireland. Either every single person on the dole is put out to work or no-one is simple as that. This cannot and will not work and should be on a voluntary basis only. Wage subvention is a far better idea than this crock of sh1te at least this way the economy would benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

carbsy wrote: »
    This is after hours! :rolleyes:

so thats a get out clause for nonsensical posting:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Childcare is already known for being a poor paying job.
    Work in a creche and you'll be doing well to get over minimum wage.

And now childcare is going to included in this scheme.
    This is going to end up like the WPP, new vacancies go to staff on welfare instead of hiring somebody on a proper wage.

And most county councils are laying off temporary staff.
    If there are temporary council staff still working they better be concerned for their jobs

Exactly. It's an absolutely piss-poor idea. Instead of getting people on the dole queue out and about and working it will just end up costing more jobs. Another cheap/free labour scheme from the guys who brought you the WPP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

so thats a get out clause for nonsensical posting:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It is, actually. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

In theory i think its a good idea. Work = Money. Some people who are currently claiming social welfare would appreciate the chance to get back into work. Work is good for routine and for the mind. Many....and im sure we can all think of a few, both highly qualified and unqualified people who would be unwilling to participate in this. Its a tricky one.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do you not think someone who works long hours and pays a lot of tax deserves some free help at home seen as there out there trying to keep the country on it's feet.
    I see nothing wrong with people on the dole having to help out the employed. Some people might say it's a form of slavery but when your getting paid it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Are you some kind of idiot...I clearly stated in my post that one I look for work everyday and two would gladly volunateer to get up and do something for the money I get from the dole,,Hardly lazy now am I? Oh and we're in the middle of a fooking recession in case you hadn't noticed. It's hardly my fault that the company I worked for went bust. now climb down off your high horse and close the door on your way out...

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Why are they saying only 10,000 will be in the scheme, why not everybody on the dole, tbh i think they should have to tidy tax payers houses, iron clothes, cut the lawn etc for anyone working, it's only fair.

I would salt your lawn, burn your clothes and throw bags of **** all over your living room. You seem to think you are better than those on the dole, many are recently out of work due to the recession and you think they should be your ****ing servants, go **** yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

there is a great volunteer program in Canada for 17 - 21 year olds... would a similar thing here not be a good idea? Retain your dole, and get to travel the country as part of a volunteer program in exchange...
    http://www.katimavik.org/subsection-85/What-is-Katimavik

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Please keep it civil or bans will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Why do people automatically think this means sweeping the roads. There are many ways this could be of benefit to the community including home care etc. Some people need to grow up. If this means we can give people new skills etc I am all for it.

Advertisement