Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole claimants may have to work in community

Options
  • 29-08-2010 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0829/welfare.html

Personally, I think this not a bad idea. I am not on the dole myself (not eligable) but if I was, I wouldnt mind giving a hand in the community in exchange for dole... considering I am able bodied and healthy, I already do volunteer work whenever I can.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Yeah I'd agree that it's a good idea,if they're able to do it then why not?

I'd say a good few people on the dole wouldn't mind getting out and doing something anyway.
    What kind of work could they do though? The county councils do pretty much everything like fixing up the town and cleaning up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

This idea gets bandied about every once in a while. Ignoring the ethical question of whether or not it's a form of slave labour how does this affect the people that actually are employed doing this type of work? Will they be let go because employers know they can get someone from the dole queue to do the job for just above minimum wage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I think its a great idea. :D should of been in two years ago

thankfully i'm back on college

But its going to do things for them give thems omethign to keep them busy give them some much needed satisfaction... Can't say any less about it brillaint idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Good idea IMO. 19.5 hours for €210 as proposed is €10.76 an hour. A part time job with above minimum wages.

I wonder how many people will be unable to do the work because they're too "busy"

It's also a nice way to keep people occupied, they may even find a new interest (ie gardening) and may want to pursue a career in it or start a new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

It's great cos it'll catch all the many many welfare cheats, plus it'll get the genuine claimants out of the house and gain them some experience and skills for future fulltime employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Oh my favorite. community service. make them work for it. Everyone on the dole goes out 2 or 3 days a week sweeps their local streets or park at about 8 in the morn when the rest of us tax payers are going to work, paints the local businesses to remove graffiti or help out by portering in hospitals teaching people to read. if you don't show up for one of the days you only get half your dole. you miss both you don't get anything the next week. not like they have much else to do. and no more double weeks come Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I can't see any problem with it.

The willing to work won't either, but the won't work will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Good idea IMO. 19.5 hours for €210 as proposed is €10.76 an hour. A part time job with above minimum wages.

I wonder how many people will be unable to do the work because they're too "busy"

It's also a nice way to keep people occupied, they may even find a new interest (ie gardening) and may want to pursue a career in it or start a new business.

very good point.... it may show up people who may already be working, or who might be appearing once a month to claim.
    A local school needed a garden allotment built, and they got some guys who were given community service to put it together, they did a great job and they call back once in a while to maintain it etc

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

I know a man who has worked for 30 years, now he is on the dole.

You little bigots would now suggest that he should be degraded to picking up litter in town centers with a high vis vest on his back.

CLOWNS, the lot of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why are they saying only 10,000 will be in the scheme, why not everybody on the dole, tbh i think they should have to tidy tax payers houses, iron clothes, cut the lawn etc for anyone working, it's only fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Fantastic news. At last the government get the fibger out. This will slash the dole numbers drastically if carried out properly.
    Edit: Only 10,000. ffs typical

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

People will be able to get out of it very easily if they want, I can imagine now people showing up smelling like **** and doing the bear min and fighting with the other workers just so they will be left out of the scheme:D.

It's great cos it'll catch all the many many welfare cheats, plus it'll get the genuine claimants out of the house and gain them some experience and skills for future fulltime employment.

What experience would an out of work accountant or a recently graduated law student get from sweeping streets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

PAULWATSON wrote: »

You little bigots would now suggest that he should be degraded to picking up litter in town centers with a high vis vest on his back.

CLOWNS, the lot of you.
    Why not. It will be doing a service to the community as well as giving him some self worth. Win win

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

I wonder will every claimant be made work or will pavee points members be exempt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

CLOWNS, the lot of you.

degraded? What are you on about .. he should be proud to be doing something to help out his country in this time of need.

Are you implying that he feels that he is above working for a living? This attitude sickens me .... because you feel some types of work is beneath you it is a reason to take the money from everyone else instead.

Since the recession sponsorship for local sports clubs all over the country has dried up ... imagine the benefit of having a resource for 19 hours aweek to give a dig out with maintenance and the like .... rather than boosting the ratings of day time tv.

Collie D wrote: »
    What experience would an out of work accountant or a recently graduated law student get from sweeping streets?

They would earn their dole by doing the work, should some qualifications earn the right to get the dole free gratias while lesser mortals work for it?:rolleyes:

I wonder will every claimant be made work or will pavee points members be exempt

haha, difficult one to answer, in an ideal world, they would have to work as well. I won't hold my breath though..............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I actually wouldn't mind having to do this, but it would get on my t*ts after a while.

Thankfully I'm starting work in a few weeks :D

CLOWNS, the lot of you.

Nope... heres a couple of groups that i have done volunteer work with over the last 2 years.... Irish wheelchair associaton (computer classes), Care of the Elderly group (bus driver). The litter issue should be tackled at the source ie. kids should be taught not to throw litter... but thats a different argument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I guarantee theyll be targeting those on long term benefits first. The ones who've been queueing for benefits but not jobhunting. Not people whove just lost their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

galwayrush wrote: »
    They would earn their dole by doing the work, should some qualifications earn the right to get the dole free gratias while lesser mortals work for it?:rolleyes:

You didn't answer the question but went off on your own rant.

galwayrush wrote: »

And people who have been working for twenty years haven't earned their dole by paying taxes and social insurance contributions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What experience would a recently graduated law student get from sweeping streets?

Yeah, much better to let them sit at home watching Judge Judy.

“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.”

CLOWNS, the lot of you.

Have a smell of my squirty flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

This idea gets bandied about every once in a while. Ignoring the ethical question of whether or not it's a form of slave labour how does this affect the people that actually are employed doing this type of work? Will they be let go because employers know they can get someone from the dole queue to do the job for just above minimum wage?

this may be an issue in some towns where people are actually employed to clean towns and stuff - but you point out 1 town in the country that doesn't need any cleaning up at all - surely having all the people on the dole having to do something to get their money is a far better idea than just handing them money to sit at home all day watching day time tv...

and if they can clean up the towns for us to get their dole money it's going to help everyone by providing a service for their government payout

might also stop some of the giving out about the amount of dole money handed out to people for doing nothing... if their doing something then they deserve their allowance

if their scumbags who try to work the system and work second jobs they'll be exposed or will actually have to leave the house to do work.. poor scumbags :rolleyes:

if any politician suggests this for the next election I'll vote for them

carbsy wrote: »
    You didn't answer the question.They would get f**k all experience. ;)

All work is experience.:p
    Seriously,for eg... imagine how much an accountant could earn on the side advising his non qualified co workers on their entitlements.........

its funny how people assume that working for the dole = sweeping the streets... there are thousands of things that could be done other than sweep the streets... I think people should be allowed to create their own job description

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How nice of you to put down every single street sweep who keeps our cities/towns clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Does this mean they drop the means test.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

It won't go far enough.

If all unemployed did a few hours a week everyone in society would benefit.

The corpo's staff will be up in arms though!

For childcare and care for the elderly you require Fetac training, you can't throw unemployed in without the existing training requirements.

Anyone think it's just the government appeasing tax payers?

Advertisement