Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole claimants may have to work in community

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Why do people automatically think this means sweeping the roads. There are many ways this could be of benefit to the community including home care etc. Some people need to grow up. If this means we can give people new skills etc I am all for it.

Home care requires qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Do you not think someone who works long hours and pays a lot of tax deserves some free help at home seen as there out there trying to keep the country on it's feet.
    I see nothing wrong with people on the dole having to help out the employed. Some people might say it's a form of slavery but when your getting paid it's not.

Are you trolling or do you really believe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

PAULWATSON banned

Please heed my warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    I know a man who has worked for 30 years, now he is on the dole.

You little bigots would now suggest that he should be degraded to picking up litter in town centers with a high vis vest on his back.

CLOWNS, the lot of you.

point well made. I for one am not gona sweep the streets or paint the walls of some **** hole..because the government are a bunch of fools. I didn't cause this mess the country is in. Im a victim of poor leadership. tax the rich. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Collie D wrote: »
    Are you trolling or do you really believe that?

I kind of do, The last few people I got for odd jobs were all on the dole. I'm paying the government to pay them, the government then pays them and i'm too busy working to do some things so then I pay them again. There getting paid twice.
    I'm not talking about people who have lost their jobs in the last year or 2, i'm talking about the lifers. The career unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Home care requires qualifications.

Well I am sure there are plenty of jobs which are not demeaning to people. People don't want charity if they feel they are useful its of benefit to them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Why are they saying only 10,000 will be in the scheme, why not everybody on the dole, tbh i think they should have to tidy tax payers houses, iron clothes, cut the lawn etc for anyone working, it's only fair.

I agree, but it should be people who have criminal convictions on the dole, that have to do these chores first.

Like, Larry murphy for example... He could dress your mothers bed(after the session),iron her face,and put her in a binbag and put out the wheelie bin for collection.
    How does that sound to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Im on the dole and would support this.

Why do people automatically think this means sweeping the roads. There are many ways this could be of benefit to the community including home care etc. Some people need to grow up. If this means we can give people new skills etc I am all for it.

Home care is a job that other people are already doing. People that have more than likely had some kind of training or qualifications. Why should they be replaced with a cheaper option? The issue is not with whether people should be made to do the communtity service but rather in what effect this has on people already in this type of employment.

It's a similar idea to putting hoodies into national service. I'm sure the regular professional soldiers don't want some joyrider tagging along on exercises with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Are you some kind of idiot...I clearly stated in my post that one I look for work everyday and two would gladly volunateer to get up and do something for the money I get from the dole,,Hardly lazy now am I? Oh and we're in the middle of a fooking recession in case you hadn't noticed. It's hardly my fault that the company I worked for went bust. now climb down off your high horse and close the door on your way out...

i dont understand why you have to wait for the government to force you to volunteer? you could be doing it now by choice and still claiming dole but you arent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Like, Larry murphy for example... He could dress your mothers bed(after the session),iron her face,and put her in a binbag and put out the wheelie bin for collection.
    How does that sound to you?

Nah, I'd give Larry the job of sweeping the streets at pub kicking out time.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    point well made. I for one am not gona sweep the streets or paint the walls of some **** hole..because the government are a bunch of fools. I didn't cause this mess the country is in. Im a victim of poor leadership. tax the rich. :)

The rich already pay most of the countries tax and also provide the jobs. There is simply no more tax to be had.

What we need is efficencies in public spending. Someone posted that we should abolish motor tax and simply put 2 cents on every litre. Seems like a good idea to me....no need of those stupid road check points that the Gardai conduct so that they can do more useful work.

Well I am sure there are plenty of jobs which are not demeaning to people. People don't want charity if they feel they are useful its of benefit to them too.

As I have said in the politics and Irish economy forum, let people choose where they work, if I was on the dole I would not mind working in an animal sanctuary, those places need help, I would not however go around picking up litter or beer cans and bottles after some kids the night before.

I kind of do, The last few people I got for odd jobs were all on the dole. I'm paying the government to pay them, the government then pays them and i'm too busy working to do some things so then I pay them again. There getting paid twice.
    I'm not talking about people who have lost their jobs in the last year or 2, i'm talking about the lifers. The career unemployed.

So you just want to save yourself a few euro? Are there no professional cleaning services, tradesmen or gardeners where you live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Nozebleed wrote: »

the you will be cut off the dole if you are claiming, unfortunately... Its going to be a case of finding an area that you would like to do voluntary work in, or create a position somewhere soon, before you are made work in a position that you dont like, or not suited to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Have to LOL at the childcare thing, suddenly the government's subsidising of ridiculous numbers of people getting certificates in childcare having failed at school makes a whole lot of sense. :pac:

The rich already pay most of the countries tax and also provide the jobs. There is simply no more tax to be had.

Short answer. No, they don't.

Home care is a job that other people are already doing. People that have more than likely had some kind of training or qualifications. Why should they be replaced with a cheaper option? The issue is not with whether people should be made to do the communtity service but rather in what effect this has on people already in this type of employment.

It's a similar idea to putting hoodies into national service. I'm sure the regular professional soldiers don't want some joyrider tagging along on exercises with them.

It was just an example. As I have said I am sure there are other activities which would benefit the community as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Miss Ogyne

I don't think it's because of an assumption as such, someone earlier mentioned picking up litter/ cleaning grafitti off walls as possible jobs so thats what everyone jumped on and with good cause in my opinion. As I already stated I don't think people will be inclind to spend 4 years in college if that's the only type of job they have to look forward to after graduation. At graduation they may as well be handed a street brush instead of their degree if thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

If I was on the dole, I wouldn't mind if they threw me into a computer job or the like but picking up rubbish off the road would make me want to off myself...picking up rubbish in front of my community/neighbours who would only get great pleasure of seeing who they know is on the dole.

• Advertisement

Short answer. No, they don't.

In your opinion. We need more people prepared to employ people not less. If you tax them even further you won't encourage the private industry. Its the private industry which will get us out of this mess not the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

i think theres 1000,s of people working in england, or poland etcthey claim the dole here,come here once a month to sign on ,so maybe it,ll stop the false claims .its a good idea.
    no more tax?? theres bankers getting bonus,s or 1million euro pensions, semi state managers are still getting large bonus,s.

by the way,you are allowed to work 2 days while on the dole.

Dean820 wrote: »
    If I was on the dole, I wouldn't mind if they threw me into a computer job or the like but picking up rubbish off the road would make me want to off myself...picking up rubbish in front of my community/neighbours who would only get great pleasure of seeing who they know is on the dole.

I have just finished a FETAC computer course in networks and systems, I am going to be starting computer science course in September, when I finished I wouldn't mind teaching computer skills to people while I try and find a real job, but as you said I wouldn't be picking up litter off the street

Miss Ogyne wrote: »
    I don't think it's because of an assumption as such, someone earlier mentioned picking up litter/ cleaning grafitti off walls as possible jobs so thats what everyone jumped on and with good cause in my opinion. As I already stated I don't think people will be inclind to spend 4 years in college if that's the only type of job they have to look forward to after graduation. At graduation they may as well be handed a street brush instead of their degree if thats the case

Absolutely. No one on their right mind wants to be on the dole at home doing nothing.

If you knew that for sure then why did you not report them? you can't complain about them if you are the person paying them and enabling that behaviour. I mean IMO the people who pay these people with the full knowledge that they are signing on too are no better than the dole cheats themselves and both should get into trouble if caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dean820 wrote: »
    picking up rubbish in front of my community/neighbours who would only get great pleasure of seeing who they know is on the dole.

Try living in a rural village.
    Your local postmisstress will already have informed all the local gossips who is on the dole :mad:

Goes on in all rural areas, different in towns where the staff don't know you

In your opinion.

4,000 people earning over 100k paid zero tax last year. Only heard it on the radio this morning but I'll find a link somewhere if you want.
    We need more people prepared to employ people not less.

Yes, but the reverse will happen if this scheme comes through and suddenly there are 10,000 people available to do work that 10,000 are already being paid for.
    Its the private industry which will get us out of this mess not the government.

I couldn't agree with you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So you just want to save yourself a few euro? Are there no professional cleaning services, tradesmen or gardeners where you live?

There all nearly unemployed that's the big problem. You can pay through the nose or you can get an equally qualified individual on the dole for a 3rd of the price.
    How many unemployed tradesmen are out there who haven't lifted a tool since signing on?

I don't get the people who say they can't find a Job, I walked through dublin today and say at least 3 places with signs looking for bar staff and waiting staff. Yet there's people saying they can't find anything. I really don't think there looking hard enough, a job is a job. Get one and it's a lot easier to find another one.

If your on the dole you should have to earn it or get very little. What difference does it make what they do or who they do it for as long as there not talking someones job.

Personally I think the cost of employment to employers is one of the biggest problems we have.

ricman wrote: »
    i think theres 1000,s of people working in england, or poland etcthey claim the dole here,come here once a month to sign on ,so maybe it,ll stop the false claims .its a good idea.

I thought they'd changed the rule regarding this. Don't new claimants have to physically collect their payments every week rather than signing on once a month and having money paid into accounts? And claimants who are suspected of doing this would have to sign on regularly. So while I'm not saying it doesn't happen I don't think the figures would be massive. Would it really be worth somebody's while flying in from Poland once a week to collect?

• Advertisement

TBH if this goes through even becoming a chugger will seem like a better prospect.

Advertisement