Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Skid wrote: »
    It seems like it is open season on Tubridy now in the press.

He deserves to be criticised for his radio output, but this article is lazy and built on lazy prejudices.
    The writer accuses him of being 'A Toff'. That is an English expression referring to the Estate owning Upper Classes there, It has no meaning here other being a nasty slur on Tubridy's character.

Tubridy reads all the papers, as anyone in his position should - It is invert snobbery to accuse someone of being out of touch just because they read 'The Irish Times'.

Gerry Ryan also had an enormous salary and drove flashy cars, and was proud of it. He boasted about it in his sickening autobiography. None of the leading presenters struggle to pay bills - it is a job that requires empathy, not sympathy.
    Absolutely bang on. Not too long ago the same papers held Tubs in very high esteem, much to the dismay of people posting here. Not because he was good at his job, moreso because they thought it was the popular thing to do...now they smell blood, and that article is an example of how low standards can drop when this happens...now it's popular to bash DLB and the papers (indo) have taken to it with gusto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

Leslie91 wrote: »
    It would appear that's the real reason he is being attacked from all angles. He is vastly overpaid like most everyone in RTE. Until that place gets a Tsunami like shot of reality and the Union is stood up to this is going to continue.

WHile no on can disagree with your post, it's unlikely that that's going to happen. RTE has a deliberate policy of overpaying its talent, in the sure knowledge that no commercial broadcaster can hope to match their salaries and poach them.

While RTE is supported by the licence fee, there is no reason for them to change this policy, and the real root of the problem is that RTE get millions every year that commercial stations just don't get.

The real way to change this rotten policy is to take a case to the courts, and all the way to the EU courts, to challenge the fact that RTE gets these millions every year, which is uncompetitive, and which the EU competition comissioner ought to become involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

easychair wrote: »
    The real way to change this rotten policy is to take a case to the courts, and all the way to the EU courts, to challenge the fact that RTE gets these millions every year, which is uncompetitive, and which the EU competition comissioner ought to become involved in.

Don't think it has to go that far, Colm McCarthy suggested selling RTE, an option I'm sure the govt. are considering.

Poly wrote: »
    Don't think it has to go that far, Colm McCarthy suggested selling RTE, an option I'm sure the govt. are considering.

I didn't know the government is considering it. What evidence have you they are considering it?

If the governemt does put RTE up for sale, its hard to see who will want to by a business which is losing money now, when the majority of its income comes from an annual subvention. Take away the subvention and that means RTE is losing hundreds of millions per annum.

Add to that the culture of the organisation is so ingrained that it seems impossible to ever believe that RTE can ever become commercial.

I didn't know the government is considering it. What evidence have you they are considering it?

A national debt of €80billion would be evidence enough? If they are considering selling ESB, Aerlingus, Lotto, etc why not a TV station?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

the posters here who are obviously nasty and appear to enjoy making personal remarks about Turbidy and appear toenjoy his current uncomfortable position.

Uncomfortable position 57 : Face down on a bed of bank notes and jelly beans.

A national debt of €80billion would be evidence enough? If they are considering selling ESB, Aerlingus, Lotto, etc why not a TV station?

I had hoped I'd explaind above why not,as its far from clear who might be interested in buying a loss making organisation, potentially losing hundreds of millions per annum, with a culture endemic in RTE that would be almost impossible to change.

In the meantime, RTE will continue to pay its talent ludicrous amounts on money, which comes from the licence fee payer.

I'd love someone to take a case about the lack of competition vis a vis RTE and the commercial broadcasters, as I have no faith that this governemtn will ever put RTE up for sale, and even if it does it's unlikely to find a buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Skid wrote: »
    It seems like it is open season on Tubridy now in the press.

He deserves to be criticised for his radio output, but this article is lazy and built on lazy prejudices.
    The writer accuses him of being 'A Toff'. That is an English expression referring to the Estate owning Upper Classes there, It has no meaning here other being a nasty slur on Tubridy's character.

Tubridy reads all the papers, as anyone in his position should - It is invert snobbery to accuse someone of being out of touch just because they read 'The Irish Times'.

Gerry Ryan also had an enormous salary and drove flashy cars, and was proud of it. He boasted about it in his sickening autobiography. None of the leading presenters struggle to pay bills - it is a job that requires empathy, not sympathy.

Exactly, it's ad hominem, and what he should be getting criticised for (his talent in his two broadcasting roles) seems to be well down the list in the Herald article.
    No law against driving a flash car... he gets a large wage, what should he spend it on? Certainly no law against reading the IT.

That being said the "cut me some slack" stuff from Tubridy is a bit rich...he's not new to this role really; he's been wel practiced over the years to build up to these positions...just that he doesn't have the personality nor the likability to carry them off (IMO). 2hrs on the radio is a crappy excuse too...tbh if he was doing 3hrs it'd show him up for his one trick pony facade than the shorter show does.

Someone above said that the papers smell blood and are jumping ont he bandwagon of faltering public opinion...spot on really...they want to be the ones who "called it" when in reality the wrting's been on the wall for quite a while now.

Whilst it might seem otherwise I take no schadenfreude in these events ...I just think he's not cut out for it and never has been and that he gets far too much money for a mediocre retrun. What I do delight in is those who pushed and pushed him on the public being proved wrong in their certainty that he was some sort of iconic host...the out of touch element in RTÉ who also determine wage levels.

I purposely don't listen him on either radio or the LLS..the small snippets I catch continue to show that he hasn't chnaged and that this is probably as good as it gets...that however is my own dislike for his style and personality.

mikom wrote: »
    Uncomfortable position 57 : Face down on a bed of bank notes and jelly beans.

*goes off to clean coffee splutter mark from monitor*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I can't believe that over a year and 3 sets of JNLR figures later he is still trying to sell the "it's only a 2 hour show now" excuse. If you follow that line of logic then the solution is simple - go back to a 3 hour show and those 100,000 listeners will, somehow, miraculousy reappear. It's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

This "2 hour show" bunkum is wearing very thin at this stage. John Kelly manages to put out an excellent 2 hour show on Lyric FM, which is their top "listen back" show on a regular basis. Same with Liz Nolan.

I fear the Emperor and his new duds are heading towards that inevitable outcome.........

• Advertisement

Did our hero travel to the UK this morning for his BBC nixer or did he avail of the Montrose facilities ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Did our hero travel to the UK this morning for his BBC nixer or did he avail of the Montrose facilities ?

I got bored (and annoyed) listening to Marian talking about the solicitors/barristers, so I tuned in to BBC Radio 2 to catch the end of the show.... First word that was sent down the Tub-stream from the InterWeb to my computer ....

"Jeepers"... :mad: ..

followed up closely by "Tony Blackburn was acting the maggot"....

He's just had Graham Norton on.. This is Tubridy's last Saturday, Norton is back next week... Seems like he is in BBC Studios today..

I got bored (and annoyed) listening to Marian talking about the solicitors/barristers, so I tuned in to BBC Radio 2 to catch the end of the show.... First word that was sent down the Tub-stream from the InterWeb to my computer ....

"Jeepers"... :mad: ..

followed up closely by "Tony Blackburn was acting the maggot"....

He's just had Graham Norton on.. This is Tubridy's last Saturday, Norton is back next week... Seems like he is in BBC Studios today..

I didn't listen to either Marian Finucane or Tubridy because I don't like either broadcaster. Its a msytery to me why you shoud follow Tubridy around all the time complaining that you don't like his show.

Might I be right that you actually get pleasure out of listening to his show, looking to find fault, and then rushing here to itemise how dreadful it is. I can't see any other reason why you seem to follow him around the channels, and ironically you must count as one of his most loyal listeners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Its a msytery to me why you shoud follow Tubridy around all the time complaining that you don't like his show.

Yet you appear on almost every thread to balance out any negative comment on Tubridy, be it TV or radio.
    My spider senses are tingling.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I didn't listen to either Marian Finucane or Tubridy because I don't like either broadcaster. Its a msytery to me why you shoud follow Tubridy around all the time complaining that you don't like his show.

Might I be right that you actually get pleasure out of listening to his show, looking to find fault, and then rushing here to itemise how dreadful it is. I can't see any other reason why you seem to follow him around the channels, and ironically you must count as one of his most loyal listeners!

I don't think other poster's listening or watching habits are any concern of yours. I'd just let people express their views the way they want to on here. Freedom of speech and all that... If you want to defend Tubridy the man fine, I know you say you don't like his presenting style and all that, but thats what is being criticised by people here, people that agree with you.

But your constant attacks on the listening habits of a couple of posters is getting, well, a bit boring to be fair. Maybe you should add to the debate rather than diverting attention away from it...

Life is pretty dull these days with jobs being lost and what not...just let us have this one...please? I mean it's funny ...Some mornings i get in the car, turn on our national broadcaster and hey presto unintentional comedy gold!! I like Steve Coogan, Ricky Gervais the in betweeeners etc ...so why wouldn't I enjoy the mix of comedy and cringe that is Ryan Tubridy! Altogether now....."the wheels on the bus go wah wah wah....!"

Tubridy: 'My job is not under threat, cut me some slack'

A lot of things annoy me about this interview..
    "Cut me some slack, will you? I know the real story of what's going on," "We're fixing it and I'm happy with the way it's sounding."

Patronising much? Whether he is happy with the show or not is irrelevant, it's whether the listeners are happy or not is what's important.. And he is losing them in droves..
    I have not been told my job is under threat. There have been no panic meetings. I haven't been told anything by anyone in management in RTE, other than you are doing a great job. I have a positive wind in my sails.

The problem is he SHOULD be made aware that his job is under threat... Nobody in RTE has the balls to sit him down and critique him and his show.. As such, he will do nothing to improve... Every week he will continue to use the same formulaic interview questions..
    "I plan to get into everything with David (Norris). Everything which is relevant to the discussion will be up for grabs,"

I dont think anybody believes that Tubridy will be brave enough to ask the hard questions of David Norris.. His primary objective in any interview is to stay pals with the guest, not to ask the questions people want asked... though I live in hope..
    "Let Gay enjoy the moment. He is the grandaddy of everything and it would be a mistake to let a rookie like me in to do the job."

He tries to make out that he effectively turned it down and was throwing Gaybo a bone... I can see through his faux self-deprecation..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Tubridy: 'My job is not under threat, cut me some slack'

A lot of things annoy me about this interview..

Patronising much? Whether he is happy with the show or not is irrelevant, it's whether the listeners are happy or not is what's important.. And he is losing them in droves..

The problem is he SHOULD be made aware that his job is under threat... Nobody in RTE has the balls to sit him down and critique him and his show.. As such, he will do nothing to improve... Every week he will continue to use the same formulaic interview questions..

I dont think anybody believes that Tubridy will be brave enough to ask the hard questions of David Norris.. His primary objective in any interview is to stay pals with the guest, not to ask the questions people want asked... though I live in hope..

He tries to make out that he effectively turned it down and was throwing Gaybo a bone... I can see through his faux self-deprecation..

Wow.

Personally i felt this week Mr Tubs finally jumped the shark. During a light hearted interview with American childrens entertainer Elmo, Mr tubs informed the hand puppet that not only had he seen him in sesame street, but he also saw him
    "in one of my boxsets, the west wing, do you like the west wing elmo?"

So it seems the human population has now tired of his little ticks and he has resorted to boring the pants off tv characters!!

Tune next week when he discusses how JFK gave his wife a serious sexually transmitted disease and other hilarious corrupt antics of the kennedys with Mr Snuffaloficus...

Wow.

More in depth and well thought out than your usual responses to be fair..

• Advertisement

telekon wrote: »
    I don't think other poster's listening or watching habits are any concern of yours. I'd just let people express their views the way they want to on here. Freedom of speech and all that...

I assume you missed the irony of on the one hand calling for freedom of speech in here ( I never advocated censoring anyone!) and on the other calling for me to be silenced!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Ray D'arcy's just been on the radio saying POOR Ryan Tubridy.......why is the media all against him? Let him get on with his job......blah blah blah........they're all the same, a bunch of "in the clique" gimpoids....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gaybo on now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

I am one of the people who tune in for 3-5 minutes in the morning, just to hear a Partridge-ism. I was not let down this morning. He was asking PJ Gallagher how he proposed to his fiancee. 'Did you do it in a romantic way, or the Irish way - In the pub, locked?'

His view of Ireland seems two-sided.
    1) Ireland is populated with semi-literate, begrudging, beer-swilling, sport obsessed people..... see first few seconds here with Peter Kay for more evidence of his 'Irish people are booze-hounds' attitude:

2) Ireland is a mystical land of turf-fires, pipers and rolling hills. Essentially the idealised view of an Irish-American. As evidenced by his recent receipt of the Freedom of Conemara: 284545_10150264853271941_323864916940_7308836_2713978_n.jpg

My point is that the 'real Ireland' (if there is such a thing) is neither of these sterotypes. And the 'real Ireland' is somewhere that Ryan does not fit in, has never lived in and does not understand. Ultimately it is becoming apparent that the 'real Ireland' i.e. people who listen to the radio and watch TV on a Friday night do not get him and are beginning to reject him. I think that the only reason he was every popular was (apart from his RTE connections) that he spoke like someone from Friends which was incredibly popular at the time.... he was quirky, geeky, could he be any more funneh etc! However it has become clear that he is not appreciated as much anymore, particularly his inability to relate/appeal to a nation undergoing a deep recession. To quote is crush Obama 'The time has come to set aside childish things.'...and that what Tubs is. He was a good-time broadcaster like Ahern was a good-time Taoiseach......all blather, no substance and ultimately of no use when it comes down to it.

I think its telling that around the time he took over the current timeslot he announced his status as a Liverpool supporter I can on assume in an effort to be more like his target audience. He gave the impression that this was going to be a 'bit' that would be on the show, but it hat fell by the way-side very quickly.

Alan: “Alright guys did you see the match?”
    Builder: “Which one?”
    Alan: “Dont know.”

Didn't expect that post to be so long, but Tubs brings it out in me. Oh and if anyone in RTE or any of his producers are reading this, I would ask you: Do you truly believe that Tubs has what it takes to wins the hearts and minds of the listening/viewing public?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Comfort blankets

Biscuit Tins

Cakes

Hugs

The indo at him again this morning, I think some common sense is required there...They are watching his ratings like hawks every week. THe Late Late is still a big draw. TO be honest I think a better presenter might lose more ratings, such is the nature of RTE viewers. For example, if they replaced killinascully with something funny, it's rating would drop by 600,000 straight away.
    killinascully = 700,000 approx
    savage eye = 150,000 approx

Yeah it appears it's gonna be every week the Indo will get a new story out of the ratings alone..

RTE and Gaybo insist the Show will go on for Ryan
    Last night, former 'Late Late' host Gay Byrne defended Tubridy, who has also been under pressure because of a falloff in listeners to his 2fm radio show. Byrne said: "Ryan is doing a good job. He dropped some viewers but I'm sure he will pick them up in the weeks ahead. 'The Late Late Show' losing and gaining viewers is a pattern that has been going on for 50 years."

Surprised Gaybo stood up for Tubridy.. And I'm not sure if he's right.. If Tubs is up against X Factor USA on future Friday nights.. He's probably gonna lose a stack of viewers to it... Cannot stand X Factor myself, but if you take last Friday as an example, I could see a lot of people switching over during the Lybian guy's interview, or during the 9/11 stuff..

Yeah it appears it's gonna be every week the Indo will get a new story out of the ratings alone..

RTE and Gaybo insist the Show will go on for Ryan

Surprised Gaybo stood up for Tubridy.. And I'm not sure if he's right.. If Tubs is up against X Factor USA on future Friday nights.. He's probably gonna lose a stack of viewers to it... Cannot stand X Factor myself, but if you take last Friday as an example, I could see a lot of people switching over during the Lybian guy's interview, or during the 9/11 stuff..
    yeah but what else would gay do, he'd hardly take the medias side in this...poor oul gay, he's gonna get a phonecall from the indo everytime the ratings drop!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Aw come on. I didn't think last week's Late Late was great but it beats the socks off X Factor USA. How could anyone listen to those judges and not want to tear their hair out. Telling every contestant to "bring it" or talking about their "journey". It drives me crazy! I'll take the Late Late any day.

• Advertisement

tinyk68 wrote: »
    Aw come on. I didn't think last week's Late Late was great but it beats the socks off X Factor USA. How could anyone listen to those judges and not want to tear their hair out. Telling every contestant to "bring it" or talking about their "journey". It drives me crazy! I'll take the Late Late any day.
    each to their own, but those who watch and get some satisfaction from x factor are lacking something..

Advertisement