Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

ghiertal wrote: »
    Ryan has almost 40,000 followers on twitter who hang on his every word...

Todays show was amazing. He gave two hours of his time to help us get to know the new TDs...

There was one extraordinary moment when Ryan instantly recognised a newly elected female TD for Mayo...

He nicknamed FG TD Mary Mitchell "Schumacher" O'Connor after her escapades last week. It was a joy to sit back and listen for two hours this morning.

LOL! :D

Oh Ghiertal, I do look forward to your posts...keep it up fella!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

He nicknamed FG TD Mary Mitchell "Schumacher" O'Connor after her escapades last week.

How can long can we hold on to this comedy genius?

With sharp writing like that, Hollywood must be beating down his door.

No offence ghiertal, but even my least funniest friends would come out with better lines than that every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

As a critic of Tubs on this thread I will reply on my own behalf.
    If an alien came from outer space and read this thread he would think that Ryan was a deeply unpopular and evil person. Do all the haters on here love everyone else on 2fm? Do you love hector? larry gogan? will leahy? cormac battle? Do you enjoy it when gogan plays karma chameleon? Or do you just want to hate on someone who is younger than you and more successful?
    • I dont think he is evil.
    • I dont see the relevance of my opinion of other 2FM presenters.
    • As for hating Tubs for being younger and more successful? I dont hate him. We are the same age. His success does not influence my opinion of him - I try to be objective. Do you like him because he is younger than you or more successful than you?
    Ryan has almost 40,000 followers on twitter who hang on his every word,a radio show, a book deal and a million plus fans of the LLS so did ye ever consider that maybe YOU ARE WRONG?
    • Charlie Sheen has over 2 million followers, I don't this this is a reliable measure of success. Tubs relentlessly promotes his Twitter account on his show (which he uses also to promote his book and the LLS) so its hardly surprising. As for them 'hanging on his every word'? Come on!
    • He has a radio show - true.
    • He has a book deal - true.
    • A million people watch the LLS, I would suggest that they are not necessarily all fans, but watch for a variety of reasons (including admiration of Tubridy himself) such as tradition/habit, too broke to go out on a Friday night, the guests/performers themselves and so they can follow/participant in the weekly LLS thread here on boards.
    • Did I even consider that I am wrong? I have never heard Tubs do anything to make me doubt my opinion of him, so no.
    Todays show was amazing. He gave two hours of his time to help us get to know the new TDs. As Ryan said it was like a first day at school for many of them. They had their luchboxes packed, new shirt and you could almost smell those new shoes. It was an extraordinary political day for all political nerds and geeks but would have been of huge interest to the public. I suppose if he had broadcast on a day when Fianna Fail took control of the Dail ge would be slated.
    • He was paid handsomely to give two hours of his time as you put it.
    • Tubs can hardly claim credit for it being an extraordinary political day. In fact it was extraordinary day due to the sea change in Dáil personnel due to the economic collapse overseen by FF.
    • He would probably have been slated here if the broadcast has been on a day that FF took control, as he has clearly let his political persuasion has in the past clearly influenced his broadcasts. If is was open about this like George Hook is about being a Blueshirt I would find it less offensive.
    There was one extraordinary moment when Ryan instantly recognised a newly elected female TD for Mayo. Incredibly he knew her name and all about the political environment in the constituency. He spoke with Barry Cowen about political dynasties and their heritage. He also mentioned how political dynasties can put huge pressure on the upcoming generation. I thought Barry might be upset at Ryan after Ryan was so critical of Brain Cowen for not making a state of the union address but he said nothing.
    • Instantly recognised? Recognised will do! Knowing her name is called research again he is handsomely paid for this. Did you hear Ivan Yates daily constituency predictions? If not have a listen, Ryan will seem like less of a political Rainman when you are done. Ryan was never overly critical of Brian Cowen.
    He nicknamed FG TD Mary Mitchell "Schumacher" O'Connor after her escapades last week. It was a joy to sit back and listen for two hours this morning.
    • If Tubs calling Mary Mitchell O'Connor 'Schumacher' contributed to your two hours of joy in any way, then we should just agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

tubs was live from outside the dail today
    http://2fm.rte.ie/blogs/tubridy/2011/03/tubridy-wednesday-27.html
    he was like a child in a sweet shop
    apart from been intrusive with some questions he constantly repeated the same lines all throughout the show

First day at school
    Its an important day for all the families
    How did you feel when you got elected

it was like a broken record for the whole show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

lempsipmax wrote: »
    If Tubs calling Mary Mitchell O'Connor 'Schumacher' contributed to your two hours of joy in any way, then we should just agree to disagree.

I thought my Mary Knievel O'Connor was funnier.. But on that issue I'm as biased as a Tubridy reviewing an Andrews comedy show..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Did you hear Ivan Yates daily constituency predictions? If not have a listen, Ryan will seem like less of a political Rainman when you are done.

I LOL'd so hard on reading this a little bit of wee came out!!!!!:D:D

gherital wrote

Ryan has almost 40,000 followers on twitter

@TubridyTweets view full profile →
    Dublin, Ireland
    Presiding over events every morning, 9-11am on RTE 2FM and The Late Late Show, Friday nights on RTE television. What I Tweet is me, not the office. Welcome.
    3,807Tweets
    44Following
    36,897Followers
    416Listed

a few thousand short there bud:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Todays show was amazing. He gave two hours of his time to help us get to know the new TDs.

Two hours of *his* time? He's well-paid to keep his finger on the pulse and entertain us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

If an alien came from outer space and read this thread he would think that Ryan was a deeply unpopular and evil person. Do all the haters on here love everyone else on 2fm? Do you love hector? larry gogan? will leahy? cormac battle? Do you enjoy it when gogan plays karma chameleon? Or do you just want to hate on someone who is younger than you and more successful?

Ghiertal,
    I personally think that 2FM is a waste of time. I don't dislike Ryan Tubridy. In fact I think he's doing a great job on The Late Late Show, much better than Pat Kenny. It's just that on his 2FM show he's given too much rope to indulge his personal tastes which can grate a bit at times. I agree that this morning's show was very good. He didn't mention JFK, Mad Men, The West Wing or Jimmy Stewart once. If he keeps this up, I might grow to like his radio show.

As for the rest of the 2FM DJs, I couldn't give a toss about them. The last time I listened to 2FM outside of the Tubridy Show, it was when Larry Gogan used to do the Irish Top 30 on Sunday afternoons and I'd have my radio stuck up to my tape recorder trying to tape the songs but his voice would always come in before the end of it. I'm not really impressed by second rate DJs with fake American accents a la Rick O' Shea, Tony Fenton et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The main themes of this thread have are now being echoed by the mainstream media. From yesterday's Mail...

"The plummy voiced presenter(Tubridy) needs to give it a rest about his obsessions - specifically, John F Kennedy, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Paul McCartney and Jimmy Stewart in Its A Wonderful Life. Most of his audience don't care and, for those who do, his incessant wittering is turning them off at a rapid pace."

• Advertisement

Rubik. wrote: »
    The main themes of this thread have are now being echoed by the mainstream media. From yesterday's Mail...

"The plummy voiced presenter(Tubridy) needs to give it a rest about his obsessions - specifically, John F Kennedy, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Paul McCartney and Jimmy Stewart in Its A Wonderful Life. Most of his audience don't care and, for those who do, his incessant wittering is turning them off at a rapid pace."

Was he like this on Radio 1 too? I never listened to him on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Karsini wrote: »
    Was he like this on Radio 1 too? I never listened to him on there.

I wouldn't be the best person to answer that question, I can't bear to listen to him for more 5 minutes and I had the same aversion to his Radio 1 show.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I heard a some of the show this morning, he was sucking up to FG big time. A political turn coat if ever I heard one.

I bet golden boy is regretting giving Kenny a hard time on the LLS now.

Poly wrote: »
    I heard a some of the show this morning, he was sucking up to FG big time. A political turn coat if ever I heard one.I bet golden boy is regretting giving Kenny a hard time on the LLS now.

Yeah I got that as well... No of his usual ridiculing on Enda Kenny this week.. Reminds me of that clip that was used on the Liveline thread in regard to the FG love in that Joe Duffy was attempting to lead, post election results..

He really annoyed me yesterday.. "the sun is shining".. "it's like the first day of school"... "everybody has new shiny shoes".. "there's a feeling of change in the air"... repeat these phrases 1000 times.. Then today - Kennedy voices, reference to Don Draper, reference to Bartlett... And if he says that Boardwalk Empire is a "slow burner" one more time, I'm gonna burn down the studio....

RTE, please extend Morning Ireland til ten o'clock, cos I cant listen to either of those fupwits on 9am-10am slot any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

RTE, please extend Morning Ireland til ten o'clock, cos I cant listen to either of those fupwits on 9am-10am slot any more.
    So long as they re-read the paper headlines at 9 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

book titles.

Turbidy tweets "hah"hah" a living history,

jfk.Tap,taptap"hah",ask not waht you can do impressions of,

You dirty rat,"hah"hah""emma"emma"

:D:D

Yeah I got that as well... No of his usual ridiculing on Enda Kenny this week.. Reminds me of that clip that was used on the Liveline thread in regard to the FG love in that Joe Duffy was attempting to lead, post election results..

He really annoyed me yesterday.. "the sun is shining".. "it's like the first day of school"... "everybody has new shiny shoes".. "there's a feeling of change in the air"... repeat these phrases 1000 times.. Then today - Kennedy voices, reference to Don Draper, reference to Bartlett... And if he says that Boardwalk Empire is a "slow burner" one more time, I'm gonna burn down the studio....

i mentioned that in a post yesterday he was like a broken record
    new shoes/first day at school/important day for the family/how did you feel when you got elected.

For once I found myself agreeing with Tubridy.. about that AWFUL "Twinkle, twinkle" advert... but it struck me as a bit odd that he should take it upon himself to criticise one of RTE's advertisers. Surely this is biting the hand that feeds him?

The only time you usually hear mention of particular adverts on RTE shows is if a) they have won an award or b) they are controversial and get discussed on Liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Surely this is biting the hand that feeds him?

I wouldn’t think Tubs has the business acumen to know that revenue is derived from advertising.
    As long as he is handed his oversized cheque every month for his services poorly renedered, he cares not for the finances of the station

• Advertisement

Poly wrote: »
    I wouldn’t think Tubs has the business acumen to know that revenue is derived from advertising.

I dont know poly, if I was the advertiser I would be giving about him to RTE... but I guess that's no change, as I'm always giving out about him.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Did Tubridy happen to mention why there was no acknowledgement of the late Gary Moore during the Thin Lizzy/Phil Lynott tribute on the LLS on Friday, or did it even come up at all?

I'm still baffled by it.

thats tubridy all over yet again only cares for what he cares about

2days on the trot now speaking about other peoples misfortunes with illness
    where have we seen this before the LLS? hmmm
    is it his new trend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

Cole wrote: »
    Did Tubridy happen to mention why there was no acknowledgement of the late Gary Moore during the Thin Lizzy/Phil Lynott tribute on the LLS on Friday, or did it even come up at all?

I'm still baffled by it.

I couldn't understand this at all. Didn't make sense given how recently he had died.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

He was/currently is still foaming at the mouth with the announcement of Obama in May. No suprise there. Also it is likely Obama will visit on the day of his birthday, he must feel like Charlie Bucket when he found the golden ticket :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I suppose it hasn't occurred to anyone that the death of Gary Moore may have been glossed over because the surviving members of the band may have requested that they not be asked to talk about it? Can't imagine why, but it's a possibility...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Bard wrote: »
    I suppose it hasn't occurred to anyone that the death of Gary Moore may have been glossed over because the surviving members of the band may have requested that they not be asked to talk about it? Can't imagine why, but it's a possibility...
    Woah, relax there man with the logical posting. This is the thread for blind & misinformed hatred of Mr Tubridy, remember? ;)

Bard wrote: »

Well somebody on the LLS thread said that Philomena didnt get on with Gary Moore.. But even still I thought he would have given a token mention of him at the end of segment just to say "Gary Moore was also a member of the band, and died earlier this year, RIP"..

• Advertisement

Tubs was on a stalker this morning regarding obamas visit
    hence the chit chat with reporter whoever the girl was thats another book for you ryan.
    the title
    OBAMA VISITS IRELAND
    4hours later he left...

Advertisement