Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

telekon wrote: »
    You don't really believe that Poly, do you??:eek:

The host of the Late Late remains RTE's golden child... and as long as this massive, loss-making enterprise is propped up by the taxpayer, thus leaving RTE accountable to NOONE, Tubridy will continue to spew forth his particular brand of verbal diarrhea to his hearts content.

Wishful thinking and I pray you are right...however the massive ratings of the LLS are the be-all and end-all in this matter. (Although I have stopped watching it because its plain awful, maybe others will start doing the same leaving his position untenable...)
    yeah tubs is one of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Meant to upload this yesterday... Had to get rid of Windows Movie Maker.. (it installs Windows Life Sign-In Assistant automatically, which turns off your windows shares.. well done Microsoft).... Anyway, using Pinnacle Video Spin, I got it together...

Here is the complaint from yesterday's show..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Poly wrote: »
    I tuned in this morning for a bit of Partridge, sure enough he didn’t fail to deliver, he’s back trying to engage an obviously disinterested Emma.

Then a selective review of the papers avoiding the tabloid featuring himself.

I tuned out just after someone requested a song by “Keane”, Tubs refused to play it because he doesn’t like Keane.
    Really dreadful, self indulgent, directionless, poorly researched crap. I reckon they’ll drop him during the summer break

what was in the paper i was off today did not move or do anything actually till now LOL

Poly wrote: »
    I tuned out just after someone requested a song by “Keane”, Tubs refused to play it because he doesn’t like Keane.
    Really dreadful, self indulgent, directionless, poorly researched crap. I reckon they’ll drop him during the summer break
    He was like this on The Full Irish too, refusing to play stuff he didn't like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

RTE's Ryan Tubridy has claimed he sees his late pal and colleague Gerry Ryan in his dreams.
    The Late Late Show host (37), who was friendly with the late broadcaster for several years, said that Gerry has comforted him that he is doing "grand".
    Tubridy was speaking to Gay Byrne on his Meaning Of Life series -- which documents celebrities' personal experiences with religion -- and he said it was unusual for him to remember his dreams so clearly.
    "I have had two very vivid dreams and I'm not one of those dream interpreters but they've been very vivid and lucid moments," he explained.
    "One was him sitting in this chair and me saying to him, 'are you all right?', and he said, 'I'm grand, don't be worrying'.
    "And the other was two nights ago and he was getting on a train and the door was closing and I said, 'you know I'm missing you an awful lot'', and he said, 'I understand, but you are making a fuck of my show'.
    "It's the strangest thing and it's had more of an effect on me than I realise," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Back to his normal cringy self, I did enjoy Emma refering to him as a "knob" :pac:

Getting really sick of his "we have to make do" pontificating to the people talking about not being able to go on holiday any more... I guess part of his stock "empathetic" recession clichés, like his weekly Late Late Show declaration that "we all really need a laugh right now"...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I'm really tired now of Tubridy constantly referring to the recession on the LLS and his radio show, saying things like "we could really do with a lift now" or "especially given the the times we find ourselves in" etc etc ad nauseum.

If you're looking for entertainment don't look to Tubridy, because like Joe Duffy he'll only depress you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Getting really sick of his "we have to make do" pontificating to the people talking about not being able to go on holiday any more... I guess part of his stock "empathetic" recession clichés, like his weekly Late Late Show declaration that "we all really need a laugh right now"...

Yeah, usually sandwiched between the lady with the life threatning illness and some z-lister being pushed on how they are coping with the recent loss of a family member. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I noticed in one of the tabloids today about Ryan seeing Gerry in his dreams, the writer claimed he should have asked Gerry for advice on how to deal with the general public rather than just "the Kindle clique."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

jimmynokia wrote: »

So that's why he was so vague about the papers yesterday morning. I only listened for about 40 minutes, and I thought he was okay - apart from the fact that I couldn't figure out which headlines belonged to which newspaper.
    Oh, and Ryan, if you're reading: I agree with your stance on Keane. Dreary, dreary, dreary... you did us a favour by not playing the song.

So he's starting work on a second book and his cousin was "brilliant" at stand up over the weekend... I think he sees RTE as just a promotional tool at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

So he's starting work on a second book and his cousin was "brilliant" at stand up over the weekend... I think he sees RTE as just a promotional tool at this stage..

Whereas we just see HIM as a tool !!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

Ah yes ,and his quote i believe was
    "and i have to do a second book now,ah well we will give it a go,back to the library and all that"

as if he was begged to doit,the man is a baffoon

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Whereas we just see HIM as a tool !!:D

a big tool at that
    so any suggestions as to his title for his new book??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Does anybody else get annoyed when Tubridy doesn't play Nob Nation immediately after the 10 o'clock news? I wasn't much of a G.Ryan fan but at least he always played it at the same time every morning. Sometimes Tubbers will start an inane chat with the newsreader (I could swear he's trying to flirt with the latest one) or he'll continue the conversation topic from before the news or he'll go to an ad break. It's as if he sees Nob Nation as something that gets in the way of his ramblings. And somebody should tell him that we're not all obsessed with Jimmy Stewart, JFK and The West Wing. What planet is this guy living on???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

jimmynokia wrote: »
    a big tool at that
    so any suggestions as to his title for his new book??

Comealot - how an Irishman showed his love for JFK?

Something like that would be a good title

Tubridy's new book... "The History Of Nepotism In Irish Broadcasting"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Tubridy's new book... "The History Of Nepotism In Irish Broadcasting"
    with the accompanying RTE mini series with Dave Mac savage, Chris Andrews, and Lotti Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Sometimes Tubbers will start an inane chat with the newsreader (I could swear he's trying to flirt with the latest one)

The question is would Tubridy talk the newscaster if they not female?

I can imagine the chat a la Alan Partridge.
    Tubs: Did you see the match?
    Male news reader: Which one?
    Tubs: ......?!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

lempsipmax wrote: »
    The question is would Tubridy talk the newscaster if they not female?

What really aggravates me about his show is that he makes no effort at covering scientific, religious, political or historical (other than his own boring limited interests) subjects.

For example Moncrieff and PK often cover astronomy, enginnering and biological subjects with ease, golden boy dismisses any scientific/technical topic as nerdy.

So we have a presenter who can’t talk to women, won’t cover subjects that would be of general interest to men.
    Makes for a tedious 2 hours, he then reverts back to his hamster wheel JFK-Books-TV-JFK-Madmen……

Comealot - how an Irishman showed his love for JFK?

Something like that would be a good title

the history of boxsets :D
    the history of twitter :mad:
    my story of westwing :eek:
    inside bill clintons limo :cool:
    how FF ruined the county(NOT) ;)
    what will i do when i reach 37 ooooops i am 37 going on 60. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭prunudo

Does anybody else get annoyed when Tubridy doesn't play Nob Nation immediately after the 10 o'clock news? I wasn't much of a G.Ryan fan but at least he always played it at the same time every morning.

100% agree with you here, it was one of the things that annoyed me first about the show, and thus set the wheels in motion for my hatred of the show.

Question: How the hell did Tubridy get such a massive audience when he did "the full irish"?!?

Seriously, was he the new hip, fresh, young thing at the time? Did he turn into an old man overnight when he jumped over to Radio 1? :confused:

Obviously he had some sort of a connection with his 'Full Irish' audience at the time and the 2fm breakfast show has not recovered since it seems...

I am proud to say I never listened to even one minute of it. Even back then as a youngfella, I was a 'Morning Ireland' geek...:o

Anyone fill me in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Certainly. 'twas from a time when over half the electorate voted FF and lived on the never never. Equally true and deffo as puzzling ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

telekon wrote: »
    Question: How the hell did Tubridy get such a massive audience when he did "the full irish"?!?

Seriously, was he the new hip, fresh, young thing at the time? Did he turn into an old man overnight when he jumped over to Radio 1? :confused:

Obviously he had some sort of a connection with his 'Full Irish' audience at the time and the 2fm breakfast show has not recovered since it seems...

I am proud to say I never listened to even one minute of it. Even back then as a youngfella, I was a 'Morning Ireland' geek...:o

Anyone fill me in?

From the vague memory I have of the little snippets of it I heard, Tubs delivered zany, zingers like a male character from the sitcom Friends. At the time that kind of tripe sounded fresh and appealing to a lot of people.

lempsipmax wrote: »
    From the vague memory I have of the little snippets of it I heard, Tubs delivered zany, zingers like a male character from the sitcom Friends. At the time that kind of tripe sounded fresh and appealing to a lot of people.

But wasn't 'Friends' 8 years old by the time Tubridy got his mits on the morning job?? :confused:

But you're right, it sounds like it was awful dirge altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

If an alien came from outer space and read this thread he would think that Ryan was a deeply unpopular and evil person. Do all the haters on here love everyone else on 2fm? Do you love hector? larry gogan? will leahy? cormac battle? Do you enjoy it when gogan plays karma chameleon? Or do you just want to hate on someone who is younger than you and more successful?

Ryan has almost 40,000 followers on twitter who hang on his every word,a radio show, a book deal and a million plus fans of the LLS so did ye ever consider that maybe YOU ARE WRONG?

Todays show was amazing. He gave two hours of his time to help us get to know the new TDs. As Ryan said it was like a first day at school for many of them. They had their luchboxes packed, new shirt and you could almost smell those new shoes. It was an extraordinary political day for all political nerds and geeks but would have been of huge interest to the public. I suppose if he had broadcast on a day when Fianna Fail took control of the Dail ge would be slated.

There was one extraordinary moment when Ryan instantly recognised a newly elected female TD for Mayo. Incredibly he knew her name and all about the political environment in the constituency. He spoke with Barry Cowen about political dynasties and their heritage. He also mentioned how political dynasties can put huge pressure on the upcoming generation. I thought Barry might be upset at Ryan after Ryan was so critical of Brain Cowen for not making a state of the union address but he said nothing.

He nicknamed FG TD Mary Mitchell "Schumacher" O'Connor after her escapades last week. It was a joy to sit back and listen for two hours this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ghiertal wrote: »
    If an alien came from outer space and read this thread he would think that Ryan was a deeply unpopular and evil person. Do all the haters on here love everyone else on 2fm? Do you love hector? larry gogan? will leahy? cormac battle? Do you enjoy it when gogan plays karma chameleon? Or do you just want to hate on someone who is younger than you and more successful?

Ryan has almost 40,000 followers on twitter who hang on his every word,a radio show, a book deal and a million plus fans of the LLS so did ye ever consider that maybe YOU ARE WRONG?

Todays show was amazing. He gave two hours of his time to help us get to know the new TDs. As Ryan said it was like a first day at school for many of them. They had their luchboxes packed, new shirt and you could almost smell those new shoes. It was an extraordinary political day for all political nerds and geeks but would have been of huge interest to the public. I suppose if he had broadcast on a day when Fianna Fail took control of the Dail ge would be slated.

There was one extraordinary moment when Ryan instantly recognised a newly elected female TD for Mayo. Incredibly he knew her name and all about the political environment in the constituency. He spoke with Barry Cowen about political dynasties and their heritage. He also mentioned how political dynasties can put huge pressure on the upcoming generation. I thought Barry might be upset at Ryan after Ryan was so critical of Brain Cowen for not making a state of the union address but he said nothing.

He nicknamed FG TD Mary Mitchell "Schumacher" O'Connor after her escapades last week. It was a joy to sit back and listen for two hours this morning.
    i'm not a fan of hector...
    I'm sure tubs would do very well hosting his own political show...

in fairness though he's not for 2fm at that hour.

Advertisement