Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

'He doesn't connect with the 2FM audience.Never will'
    Poly wrote: »

I tweeted Mr. Tubs to helpfully remind people to keep paying their TV licenses before making mortgage repayments as you could easily end up in jail for this serious offence against RTE
    He blocked me for some reason.

And the truth will out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

miketv wrote: »
    Much imprved opening show this morning. The last time I heard similar was that week before xmas, lets hope it continues.

yeah how long did that last though ? not very long slipped back into the old ways
    maybe he or rte have been reading this thread hmmmmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Noticeable change today..

- No allusions/metaphors/analogies relating to his own favourite topics..
    - Four songs in the first hour, that much more music than usual (isnt it?)

Better, a lot more bearable.. review of the papers needs more colour though..

Noticeable change today..

- No allusions/metaphors/analogies relating to his own favourite topics..
    - Four songs in the first hour, that much more music than usual (isnt it?)

Better, a lot more bearable.. review of the papers needs more colour though..

how long will it last though?

jimmynokia wrote: »
    how long will it last though?

Hard to tell.. you would wonder why he changed that week before Christmas, only to revert to the same style a couple of days later?.. I'm still confused as to whether this was an organised, conscious change in style and if so, why did he change back ? :confused::confused:

However regarding today's show... I'd say he's had a serious meeting with somebody in RTE management, given the figures were so bad, and he's been ordered/told/asked to make himself more appealing to the listener.. I get the impression he's been instructed to "talk about JFK, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire (etc) in your own time"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

However regarding today's show... I'd say he's had a serious meeting with somebody in RTE management, given the figures were so bad, and he's been ordered/told/asked to make himself more appealing to the listener.. I get the impression he's been instructed to "talk about JFK, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire (etc) in your own time"

But that’s the problem with RTE lifers, they see it as their god given right to talk about whatever interests them.
    Look at PK, he’s usually talking sh1te by 10.40am, I’m dreading when Mlyes Dungan is back on the air, now with added arts degree, he’s qualified to flip burgers and bore the pants off us.

George Lee took over a reasonably good business show ( under Murray in fairness) and turned it into a boring political/economics forum for the usual academic windbags and out of work comedians.

I think Tubs is incapable of steering this show out of the mire, he doesn’t have the life experience or tact to be able to really listen to what people are saying and respond in any meaningful way on the spur of the moment, as this show requires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Listened in to first five minutes this morning - marked difference since the JNLR figures came out. He bade Emma a business-like good day. Spoke about meeting Miriam O'Callaghan in the corridor, the white power on his shoes (it was flour not coke) leading to a promise to share a backing recipe with her (He was baking this morning before work apparently - Sorry, but what a weirdo) . Then it was straight to business with Sean O'Rourke! to discuss the election!! It actually sounded more like his old Radio One programme than a 2FM programme and certainly marked a major move away from what Gerry Ryan would have done.

He had been using the programme as a vechicle for his own narrow interests and was driving that vechicle off a cliff. Without the promise of a car wreck I just dont think is worth tuning in. I will continue to check this thread to see if there is a return to the cringy old days.

Seems like RTE are doing everything to help Tubridy out.. They gave him newsroom heavyweight Sean O'Rourke today for the first hour..

The intro (about "shooting the breeze" :mad::mad::mad: with Miriam in the hallway) was his usual inane, unfunny waffle... And he still managed to get in a few American references .. "hanging chads", "Democrat sweet of the south".. Tubridy's "I'm so clever cos I know words stuff ye dont even if you're not interested anyway"..

O'Rourke was very good though.. story about Knock was good.. Interesting to see his personality, which he normally doesnt get to show on the News At One.. Still dont know what this is doing on Radio Two though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I'll give him til the end of the week before its back to normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

I listened to a few minutes this morning just to see if he was making any more of an effort after last week's ratings fiasco and was pleasantly surprised to find he had Harry Shearer on as a guest. Now I love Spinal Tap and The Simpsons but even with that I switched off after 5 minutes. Tubridy just destroys every conversation he participates in, he's just so...bleugh! He makes the mistake of thinking that he is on the same level as guys like Shearer and keeps interrupting and talking in a 'yeah, yeah, i've seen it all, know exactly what you are talking about' manner. He is a idiot. How can you screw up an interview with someone like Harry Shearer...just prompt him and let him talk. Tubs is like King Midas except everything he touches turns to awful.

• Advertisement

the minor changes wont last he cant help himself and it will take RTE a month to cop it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

I have been following this thread with interest because I was always a big fan of Tubridy when he did ' The full Irish ' on 2fm. I never heard him when he moved from that slot but I always thought he wasn't suited to Gerry's slot.

Anyway, this morning I switched over from Ray and within 20 seconds he had mentioned the Democrats and the American elections.......I smiled to myself as I thought of you all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Did anyone listen in this morning?

Girl in work tells me that he had Micheal Martin was on and himself and Ryan had a great laugh altogether. People were also texting in saying enda was a coward for not coming on the radio like Micheal Martin...while at that exact moment Enda was on Radio 1 with Pat Kenny. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I didn't hear it, but isn't RTE supposed to give each party equal access to the airwaves? If Tubridy had just Martin on, doesn't this contravene some rule or other. Unless he invited others and they declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

jimmynokia wrote: »
    the minor changes wont last he cant help himself and it will take RTE a month to cop it again

Just as Gerry found himself at the wheel of a storm-flung ship, Ryan is now the captain of the goodship "Tubridy Show". Gerry struggled for a number of years but one big interview helped turn the tide, his piece with lavinia kerwick was THE turning point of his show as he admitted in his book. He also said that he used her in order to boost his own profile and that of the show.

Ryan can do the same now, he has been contacted the parents of a boy who is dying. They gave him up for adoption as an infant and now twenty years later have heard from him for the first time only to be told that he has cancer. It's a great story and one that could help Ryan. He needs to draw both sides out and get them on air, what have they got to lose? If Ryan played his cards right it could be a great boon for the show. I know it might sound cynical but they contacted Ryan for advice so there is nothing really wrong with it.

He needs to realise that he has to fit in to his surroundings. Being preceded by hector and followed by colm hayes means there is no point in being high brow and sophisticated. He needs to use the tools that have been suppiled to him. Competing with ray darcy who has ten years experience on the same show allied to an hour cut from Gerrys show meant it was always going to be tough, so he probably at the audience level you would expect from that time slot on 2fm.

He has tried to be innovative bringing in new items such as talking to the newsreader,reviewing movies,cheeseboard selections,talking about his life, making interviewees play buckaroo,setting up charity foundations etc. but none of these seemed to work.

ghiertal wrote: »
    Just as Gerry found himself at the wheel of a storm-flung ship, Ryan is now the captain of the goodship "Tubridy Show". Gerry struggled for a number of years but one big interview helped turn the tide, his piece with lavinia kerwick was THE turning point of his show as he admitted in his book. He also said that he used her in order to boost his own profile and that of the show.

Ryan can do the same now, he has been contacted the parents of a boy who is dying. They gave him up for adoption as an infant and now twenty years later have heard from him for the first time only to be told that he has cancer. It's a great story and one that could help Ryan. He needs to draw both sides out and get them on air, what have they got to lose? If Ryan played his cards right it could be a great boon for the show. I know it might sound cynical but they contacted Ryan for advice so there is nothing really wrong with it.

Please tell me you're not serious?!? :confused:

Using someone's illness to boost the ratings of his flagging radio show?? Thats about the most cynical thing I've ever heard.

In fairness to him, I don't think Ryan would stoop THAT low!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

telekon wrote: »
    Please tell me you're not serious?!? :confused:

Using someone's illness to boost the ratings of his flagging radio show?? Thats about the most cynical thing I've ever heard.

In fairness to him, I don't think Ryan would stoop THAT low!

Why? We live in a cynical world that isn't always fair. They contacted him , anyway Gerry said in his book that he used lavinia kerwick(who was raped and suffered from anorexia) and that he didn't really give a damn about her but that it helped turn save his show from being axed.He also said that he thought that the interviews were causing her more harm than good.Nobody condemns Gerry over saying that, they know that intrinsically he was a decent man.If this can help Ryan it would be good.

Why? We live in a cynical world that isn't always fair. They contacted him , anyway Gerry said in his book that he used lavinia kerwick(who was raped and suffered from anorexia) and that he didn't really give a damn about her but that it helped turn save his show from being axed.He also said that he thought that the interviews were causing her more harm than good.Nobody condemns Gerry over saying that, they know that intrinsically he was a decent man.If this can help Ryan it would be good.

Jesus, did Gerry really say that? :eek:

Now thats cynical, in fact more than that, its downright sick and twisted!! :mad:

I heard that interview, he sounded genuinely empathetic. I can't believe you're getting the correct version of the story here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

J..... he has been contacted the parents of a boy who is dying. They gave him up for adoption as an infant and now twenty years later have heard from him for the first time only to be told that he has cancer. It's a great story and one that could help Ryan.

****ers gave boy up for adoption - now want to make some money from sob story and Ryan wants to profit by gaining listeners long term. Apologist for said Ryan in the know (G1 or G2 maybe) seeks Internet board approval.

Can anyone see anything , anything at all wrong with this little vignette.

He needs to realise that he has to fit in to his surroundings. Being preceded by hector and followed by colm hayes means there is no point in being high brow and sophisticated. He needs to use the tools that have been suppiled to him. Competing with ray darcy who has ten years experience on the same show allied to an hour cut from Gerrys show meant it was always going to be tough, so he probably at the audience level you would expect from that time slot on 2fm.

He has tried to be innovative bringing in new items such as talking to the newsreader,reviewing movies,cheeseboard selections,talking about his life, making interviewees play buckaroo,setting up charity foundations etc. but none of these seemed to work.

whatever all thats about i did not hear it in any case ryan will still twist the story and change the topic into his likings he just cant help himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Yes, but if the story is about personal tragedy and dying children, it might be impossible for him to mention American politics. I know it's a long shot but we have to give it a try. God damn it, it's the only chance we've got.

marty1985 wrote: »
    Yes, but if the story is about personal tragedy and dying children, it might be impossible for him to mention American politics. I know it's a long shot but we have to give it a try. God damn it, it's the only chance we've got.

But the JFK assasination was a personal tragedy for Jackie O....

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit smoking.

Well I would be surprised if Tubridy mentioned this.. I've heard him saying that "This is a part of JFK's life that just doesnt interest him". I guess it's like the same way that none of the real Metallica fans liked "Enter Sandman"..

Ryan this morning, talking about his excitement at the election count tomorrow:

"oooooh tomorrow Emma, it's like the GAA final and the Olympics meets the final espisode of West Wing"...

I see we are back to normal operating procedure..

straight in with the mention that its the last episode of west wing tonight he will never change

I thought him reading those anti FF headlines would have contravened the moratorium ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

I thought him reading those anti FF headlines would have contravened the moratorium ?

Unfortunately, I have not heard his comments as I had arrived at my workplace earlier than usual, but Chris O'Donoghue on Newstalk, when doing their usual review of the papers skipped any reference to the election in that tabloids....

I see a big complaint being lodged against Tubbers as this could be seen as trying to aid some members of his extended family.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I thought so too, it seemed very odd.

He also casually mentioned bumping into Eamon Gilmore and Ivana Bacik in Dun Laoghaire yesterday.

Tubridy seems to be ignoring the moratorium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Jesus, did Gerry really say that? :eek:

Now thats cynical, in fact more than that, its downright sick and twisted!! :mad:

I heard that interview, he sounded genuinely empathetic. I can't believe you're getting the correct version of the story here...
    He was probably whacked off his gourd on Colombian marching powder at the time, to be fair.

Advertisement