Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

It would seem Ian Dempsey was spot on when he assessed Tub’s new show, he was being propped up by morning Ireland and PK when he was on radio1

How the hell can RTE justify his salary now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

3 day ban for telekon for abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Well what are rte doing putting Hector out on display as if he's done a great job. I'd say rick and Ruth had more listeners in their short spell at breakfast. If memory serves me right. At least when John Clarke ran the show he knew when to pull the plug.
    The public have already bailed out the banks they most certainly will not bail out a national radio station god forbid it goes to the wall and the way the figures look it looks pretty bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

HE SAID HIMSELF THIS MORNING WE ARE DOWN 80,00:eek:
    and said give us a chance, all he has to do is come here look at the problems or the repetitiveness of book,twitter,jfk madmen,westwing,box sets and stop talking about what his interests are and he might pull back some listeners

your thoughts on this please

• Registered Users Posts: 13 excellence

I haven't been a big listener to Tubs as I normally listen to Pat Kenny at this time. However during the times I do tune in I felt he was covering a lot of the same topics that Pat Kenny was covering; e.g. politics and wasn't really offering people a choice at this time of the morning. Gerry Ryan's show could never be compared with Pat Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Lookin forward to see what the Sunday world has to say tomor

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

If people on here are actual real "fans" of Ryan now is the time to get behind him. He has been here before. If you look at when he started on the Full Irish, his figures were very poor.He said thet he "was almost ashamed to make eye contact with people in the hall of RTE." He turned it around, HE CAN do it again.

Don't forget how he wants to protect Gerry's legacy. He won't let him down, that ol' political fighter will out yet. He has transformed the Late Late, garnering audiences not seen since Gay's heyday. One thing that keeps coming back to me is the consideration of Ryan's intellectual capacity in relation to Gay and Gerry. Ryan doesn't seem as capable of hiding it, it's in his constant referring to politics,literature and high art(eg. talking to Fintan O'Toole and Ardal in relation to a play and the darfur genocide) and it might distance him from the general public. Everone is a vote and a potential listener. He needs to dumb down the product, make it more accessible.

In relation to his loss of audience numbers, a certain person on this forum was advocating participants to lie to the survey collaters in order to lower Ryan's figures and inflict damage on his reputation. Well, i hope you're happy with yourself because it worked ,but in future we will see a truer reflection of his broadcating capacity.

Taking on the role of film reviewer is something that has left him spread too thinly. Tom Dunne has George Byrne every Thursday. It is unfair the Ryan be asked to take on this position.It is all becoming a bit much for him. After reviwing True Grit he was angry and tweeted "My tip in general. Where possible, avoid reading or listening to any reviews of any film prior to viewing. It's POISONOUS". Only gave True grit 5/10.

To Jimmynokia you probably didnt know the amount of trouble he had reading the book Never Let Me Go, if not you are forgiven for not knowing how angry he must have felt when it happened again at the cinema.
    jimmynokia wrote: »
    DONT GO TO THE CINEMA IF YOU CANT STAND KIDS
    YOU WER A KID ONCE
    AND IN FACT YOU STILL ARE TUBRIDY
    do you want the whole cinema to yourself?

Tubridy Tweets:I was once so stuck for a quiet place to read, I queued at a busy car wash with Never Let Me Go just to be alone. Desperate measures. 5:22 PM Jun 26th, 2010 via Twitter for iPhone

He needs to have more items on boybands,soap operas, magazines,anorexia,womens problems,teenagers,unemployment,etc. His hardline stance on the booing of Jedward may have won him new fans. The interview with Bryan McFadden was a coup, a subject matter alot of people(esp. housewives) are interested in, scandal surrounding boybands. Ryan needs to hide his intellectualism, get out of his Joycean bed and inhabit the world of common folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ghiertal wrote: »
    If people on here are actual real "fans" of Ryan now is the time to get behind him. He has been here before. If you look at when he started on the Full Irish, his figures were very poor.He said thet he "was almost ashamed to make eye contact with people in the hall of RTE." He turned it around, HE CAN do it again.

Don't forget how he wants to protect Gerry's legacy. He won't let him down, that ol' political fighter will out yet. He has transformed the Late Late, garnering audiences not seen since Gay's heyday. One thing that keeps coming back to me is the consideration of Ryan's intellectual capacity in relation to Gay and Gerry. Ryan doesn't seem as capable of hiding it, it's in his constant referring to politics,literature and high art(eg. talking to Fintan O'Toole and Ardal in relation to a play and the darfur genocide) and it might distance him from the general public. Everone is a vote and a potential listener. He needs to dumb down the product, make it more accessible.

In relation to his loss of audience numbers, a certain person on this forum was advocating participants to lie to the survey collaters in order to lower Ryan's figures and inflict damage on his reputation. Well, i hope you're happy with yourself because it worked ,but in future we will see a truer reflection of his broadcating capacity.

Taking on the role of film reviewer is something that has left him spread too thinly. Tom Dunne has George Byrne every Thursday. It is unfair the Ryan be asked to take on this position.It is all becoming a bit much for him. After reviwing True Grit he was angry and tweeted "My tip in general. Where possible, avoid reading or listening to any reviews of any film prior to viewing. It's POISONOUS". Only gave True grit 5/10.

To Jimmynokia you probably didnt know the amount of trouble he had reading the book Never Let Me Go, if not you are forgiven for not knowing how angry he must have felt when it happened again at the cinema.

Tubridy Tweets:I was once so stuck for a quiet place to read, I queued at a busy car wash with Never Let Me Go just to be alone. Desperate measures. 5:22 PM Jun 26th, 2010 via Twitter for iPhone

He needs to have more items on boybands,soap operas, magazines,anorexia,womens problems,teenagers,unemployment,etc. His hardline stance on the booing of Jedward may have won him new fans. The interview with Bryan McFadden was a coup, a subject matter alot of people(esp. housewives) are interested in, scandal surrounding boybands. Ryan needs to hide his intellectualism, get out of his Joycean bed and inhabit the world of common folk.

This post should be grounds for sectioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

He turned it around, HE CAN do it again.

He can do it.. but it's a choice. Does he want to continue being self-indulgent or does he want to retain/improve the listenership. If you read back through this thread, there was ONE week where it seemed there was a distinct change in his approach... No funny voices, no JFK/west wing/Mad Men BULLSH1T, no twitter, no books .... he was almost like a normal person. And the show was bearable. He needs to realise the show is not about him, it's about giving the listeners what they want.. the question is, is he prepared to change?
    One thing that keeps coming back to me is the consideration of Ryan's intellectual capacity in relation to Gay and Gerry. Ryan doesn't seem as capable of hiding it, it's in his constant referring to politics,literature and high art

Just because he rattles on about subjects that are of NO importance/interest to anybody bar himself, does not make him intelligent. He's presenting what's meant to be a light entertainment radio show ffs, not running a library in a history museum.
    The interview with Bryan McFadden was a coup.

Interviewing this self publicist is not a coup.. Shooting him would be a coup.

For god's sake radio stations... can we have ONE show from 9-10am that is good pleeeeezee..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

He needs to dumb down the product, make it more accessible.

This, right here is what's wrong with the media in Ireland. I most certainly do not want to be talked down to anymore, nor do I want a media which dumbs down, chríst sake, I want a smarter media, without brain fodder on boybands, celebrities and the like. Pointless dribble for moronic sheeple.
    Interviewing this self publicist is not a coup.. Shooting him would be a coup.
    Damn straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

mikom wrote: »
    This post should be grounds for sectioning.

It could only be a wind up written by jimjim nugent or somebody.

Because if it is real, I HAVE TO WARN ALL PEOPLE OF IRELAND>>>>

THERE IS A MADMAN AMONGST YOU,AND NO ONE IS SAFE!!!!.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

ghiertal wrote

His hardline stance on the booing of Jedward may have won him new fans.

and you think he actually meant that deep down I DONT THINK SO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just because he rattles on about subjects that are of NO importance/interest to anybody bar himself, does not make him intelligent.
    You know this how exactly? No interest to you might have made your sentence logical.

Judging by the text and email responses I would venture that the topics are of interest to quite a number of people.

Aidric wrote: »
    You know this how exactly? No interest to you might have made your sentence logical.

Judging by the text and email responses I would venture that the topics are of interest to quite a number of people.

yeah book lovers and twitter heads an americanise fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

But not of interest to enough people in that time slot to put 2fm back in profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Rubik. wrote: »
    But not of interest to enough people in that time slot to put 2fm back in profit.

Don't worry, they have the crutch of cheap facilities crossing over from the fleet of licence funded TV and radio stations.

Ah come on, let me introduce exhibit A: And answer me this.. Is Ryan saying these things to a) make himself look clever and bring the topic back to his own favourite subject or b) because he thinks it is what his audience wants to hear?

He takes a discussion from the X Factor, and creates the most ridiculous and inaccurate analogy ... and one most listeners will not understand..... I can only imagine the confused faces on G3, R2D2 and the other children who run the show when he came out with this rubbish....

He could be a good presenter, but he needs a kick up the h0le and not be allowed make such a self indulgent pig's breakfast of the show..

a ffs he manages to get al gore and bush into that ffs where does he stop this crap

tubridy read this thread save your job and RTE for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

That is hilarious - thank you!!! This is why this thread is so useful. Kind peeps post the best bits and I'm spared actually having to listen in on weekday mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

His hardline stance on the booing of Jedward may have won him new fans.

1. Jedward thrive on controversy: it's their oxygen.
    2. Why can't he take a hardline stance on anything else? Like FF? Like bookers who suggest inviting clearly mentally ill women onto his Friday-night TV show for the world to laugh at? Like the way cocaine has infiltrated the media?
    3. I'd have a lot more time for him if he chose his battles more wisely.

You're right about him spreading himself too thinly. He mightn't like the comparison but look at Myles Dungan. Intelligent guy who manned current affairs show for a few years, then moved into arts, then followed his interests and left Montrose to do a PhD,... now he's back again presenting a history programme he seems to love and is good at. I know Tubridy likes to cast himself as a young fogey (at 37; ahem) but really he reminds me of a lot of men his age: he doesn't want to settle down and focus on one area of interest. He wants to carry on doing a little bit of current affairs, a little bit of history, a little bit of books but it's time he looked at what he's good at, and what he wants to do, and knuckled down and did it.

Finally got the new version of Windows Movie Maker working... here is Tubridy's brief response to the JNLR figures from last Friday...

i had the pleasure of listening to that just happened to tune in
    all i can say is ha ha TIME UP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I'll give Tubridy credit for not ignoring the JNLR figures in the paper review on Friday, most presenters would ignored the elephant in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

1. Jedward thrive on controversy: it's their oxygen.
    2. Why can't he take a hardline stance on anything else? Like FF? Like bookers who suggest inviting clearly mentally ill women onto his Friday-night TV show for the world to laugh at? Like the way cocaine has infiltrated the media?
    3. I'd have a lot more time for him if he chose his battles more wisely.

You're right about him spreading himself too thinly. He mightn't like the comparison but look at Myles Dungan. Intelligent guy who manned current affairs show for a few years, then moved into arts, then followed his interests and left Montrose to do a PhD,... now he's back again presenting a history programme he seems to love and is good at. I know Tubridy likes to cast himself as a young fogey (at 37; ahem) but really he reminds me of a lot of men his age: he doesn't want to settle down and focus on one area of interest. He wants to carry on doing a little bit of current affairs, a little bit of history, a little bit of books but it's time he looked at what he's good at, and what he wants to do, and knuckled down and did it.

I'll put it in one sentence Mrs.

'He doesn't connect with the 2FM audience.Never will'

Didn't know Dungan did a Ph.d by the way....never referred to it or any of his guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Much improved opening show this morning. The last time I heard similar was that week before xmas, lets hope it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

:o Fock me, that's a broadside hit.

mayday mayday...badly holed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I'll put it in one sentence Mrs.

'He doesn't connect with the 2FM audience.Never will'
    Didn't know Dungan did a Ph.d by the way....never referred to it or any of his guests.

I didnt listen to it at all myself but there have been some complimentary posts on here in relation to his old Full Irish 2FM breakfast show so maybe he had the connection but has lost it?

Personally I dont think he could connect with anyone except lifers in Montrose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

miketv wrote: »
    Much imprved opening show this morning. The last time I heard similar was that week before xmas, lets hope it continues.

He was dealing with mortgage arrears and repossessions, many of the queries were poor people really down to the wire trying to save their homes.

I tweeted Mr. Tubs to helpfully remind people to keep paying their TV licenses before making mortgage repayments as you could easily end up in jail for this serious offence against RTE

He blocked me for some reason.

Advertisement