Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Anyone hear his little chicken ball analogy!!

No what was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

He seemed like he was on something this morning.. Have RTE told him to become "whackier" or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

JNLR ratings out tomorrow. :)

Just say for arguments sake, Tubridy lost 90% of Gerry's audience. What would happen next? Would RTE admit defeat and give their golden boy the old heave ho?? Probably, but I wouldnt bet my house on it.

In any case, it'll be interesting how they spin it...

He seemed like he was on something this morning.. Have RTE told him to become "whackier" or something?

I would say all he was on was nervous energy, he must have some inkling that his JNLR figures are not going to be great.

You would have to feel sorry for listeners who tune in to get a summary of the papers in the morning. Having to sit through his 'banter' with Emma.

This mornings banter was especially cringeworthy. Showcasing his 'annoying 13 year old younger brother' boyishness by playing the annoying songs for no apparent reason other than it occurred to him.

The really amazing thing is that he must have planned this segment in adavnce, as he had all the songs queued up. So at some point he may have thought to himself:

'To start the show today I will play a range of annoying songs that stick in your head, people will think its a blast. They will tweet other suggestions to me, they will groan as they recognise the annoying-ness of the songs. I will seem quirky, random, knowing and geeky, qualities which are sure to endear me even further to the Twiteratti. I will ask Emma which she wants to hear and then I will ignore her request because I am an annoying child. Are you sure Ryan is this a good idea? Yeah it will be grand, I am paid a kings ransom cos I am great, so if it occurred to me it must be radio gold'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

telekon wrote: »
    JNLR ratings out tomorrow. :)

Just say for arguments sake, Tubridy lost 90% of Gerry's audience. What would happen next? Would RTE admit defeat and give their golden boy the old heave ho?? Probably, but I wouldnt bet my house on it.

In any case, it'll be interesting how they spin it...

I'm prepared for a disappointment from the JNLR's

The main reason being that there aren't many alternatives for Gerry Ryan Show refugees. You have John Murray with his cringeworthy attempts at comedy, Ray Darcy who has long lost whatever entertainment value he had and Tom Dunne, with the most boring show on radio.

Then you will have the Tub devotees who followed him from Radio 1, so I would be surprised if he had a significant fall (if any).

• Advertisement

lempsipmax wrote: »
    I would say all he was on was nervous energy, he must have some inkling that his JNLR figures are not going to be great.

You would have to feel sorry for listeners who tune in to get a summary of the papers in the morning. Having to sit through his 'banter' with Emma.

I will never feel sorry for people who willingly listen to Tubridy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting at those who regularly contribute to this thread. Not at all. You all perform a necessary public function, someone has to question how this man can earn so much for contributing so little and pull him up on his daily acting the bollox. I personally can't listen to his show at all myself.

It reminds me of the great work put in by Boards.ie posters on making 'journalist' Alison O'Riordan accountable for some of the absolute plagiaristic tripe she has written.

Keep up the good work lads. :)

SkidMark wrote: »
    I'm prepared for a disappointment from the JNLR's

The main reason being that there aren't many alternatives for Gerry Ryan Show refugees. You have John Murray with his cringeworthy attempts at comedy, Ray Darcy who has long lost whatever entertainment value he had and Tom Dunne, with the most boring show on radio.

Then you will have the Tub devotees who followed him from Radio 1, so I would be surprised if he had a significant fall (if any).

All very valid. If Newstalk Breakfast didnt do the extra hour I'd have the radio off. The choice is brutal. But at the end of the day Tubridy, well according to this thread anyway, sets his own boring JFK/Willy Wonka agenda. It sounds absolutely sh*t. Will Gerry's listeners put up with this?? :confused:

I would like to think they wouldnt....

SkidMark wrote: »

yeah I would agree.. if Murray was any good, I would stay with him.. but his constant attempts at trying to be funny are cringeworthy.. as cringeworthy as his ads for the show..

9-10am is a really weak hour for radio.. Tubridy reviews the papers, and annoying as he is, it's worth listening to the show for that.. But as I've said many times, the "banter" with Emma needs to be shelved and devote that time to the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No what was it?

you'll have to check it out yourself!! It's right after he plays Hotstepper at point 104:1 ish...on my player....i cannot even get my head around it to repeat....

ps
    i had to go an listen again to believe it

Tubs and the Chinese Chicken Balls - Sounds even more like Alan Partridge when slowed down:

http://myspacefilehosting.com/lmvrn/Ryan_Tubridy_Chinese_Chicken_Balls.mp3.html
    alan+partridge1.jpg

• Advertisement

Tubs and the Chinese Chicken Balls - Sounds even more like Alan Partridge when slowed down:

Dear God. :eek:

Youre right, how inappropriate, how...Alan Partridge!

Seriously, he is doing this on purpose or what?

Is it just me or is the slowed down version of his voice is far less annoying than his normal tones...:confused:

alan+partridge1.jpg

unbelievable!!! not only did i spend the last half hour teaching myself how to make a video, but i also chose that pic, then decided a pic with partridge in his y-fronts would be more apt!!!!

unbelievable!!! not only did i spend the last half hour teaching myself how to make a video, but i also chose that pic, then decided a pic with partridge in his y-fronts would be more apt!!!!

I am laughing here knowing that there are people out there who are as 'fascinated' by Tubridy as I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Just heard it:D, that is 100% pure Partridge.

funny though, if you remove all the things we laugh at here every day, the partridgisms, the banter with the news reader, the rushed mumbling paper review, the willy wonkaisms, the insights into his life, his antiquated views on modern life etc......there's nothing left!

edit:
    jfk
    and
    twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

funny though, if you remove all the things we laugh at here every day, the partridgisms, the banter with the news reader, the rushed mumbling paper review, the willy wonkaisms, the insights into his life, his antiquated views on modern life etc......there's nothing left!

edit:
    jfk
    and
    twitter

YOU FORGOT BOOKS
    madmen
    boxsets
    clinton
    west wing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

This thread appears to be kept going by 3 or 4 select posters who seem compelled to post almost the same negative comments practically every day. I'm really not sure why they do this to be honest... we get it... you don't like the show. Not sure we need the running commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Bard wrote: »
    This thread appears to be kept going by 3 or 4 select posters who seem compelled to post almost the same negative comments practically every day. I'm really not sure why they do this to be honest... we get it... you don't like the show. Not sure we need the running commentary.

bard said (negative comments practically every day)
    eh its about the show its the same every day so us people update the thread thats what this thread is about is it not?
    or is there a new rule now that you cant update a thread if thats the case why have it?
    its not off topic its stating the quality of the show its content and tubridy hence the ryan tubridy on 2fm thread so whats the problem here?

feel free to comment with an answer that says different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yet if it was 3 or 4 shills brown nosing Tubridy with a running commentary it should be kept open......

@jimmynokia and mikom - please realise that I'm not always posting as the moderator, - usually when I do I'll post in bold type like this,... sometimes (like now), I'm just posting as a user, and am just expressing an opinion. Nothing was said about anyone being off topic and the suggestion wasn't made about closing the thread and no, mikom, "shills" wouldn't be welcome either.

I just don't see the point on posting on the same thread on an almost daily basis to say more-or-less the same thing (unless it's just to up your post count).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm glad the lads keep this thread updated. I can't bear to listen to Tubridy myself but quite enjoy hearing about his ridiculous carry on in this thread.

I just don't see the point on posting on the same thread on an almost daily basis to say more-or-less the same thing (unless it's just to up your post count).

Say you enjoyed watching football, but everytime you saw this one highly played and highly rated footballer his shorts fell down, or he handled the ball, or got caught off-side or fell over the ball. Yet he still swanned around the pitch like he was Pele, you may feel compelled to bring it to others attention for a few reasons.

To share you incredulity ask was I the only one who saw what I considered to be shocking ineptitude.
    To share a laugh.
    Cos you pay some of his wages.
    Cos you feel the emperor has no clothes.
    Because of a desire to see the beautiful game played well.

...you may feel compelled to bring it to others attention for a few reasons.

Sure I would... but I wouldn't feel compelled to do it every day (or every time this imaginary footballer played a game for that matter... not the best analogy, as footballers don't play every day).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Posting more or less the same thing on a daily basis implies posters keep referring to a single incident from last week or last month or last year. Regular posters in this thread arent doing that.

The reality is that each day Tubridy plumbs new postworthy depths

Re the post court whoring insinuation - you dont actualy believe that do you? If people want to up their post counts they can go onto AH and post LOL or yore ma style replies. Instead they put a bit of thought into compiling a post in this thread.

Fair enough guys... it just seems a little obsessive to me, that's all :) - do carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Instead they put a bit of thought into compiling a post in this thread.
    Ya, except they don't really and that was Bard's point. It's the same few people posting the same things day in day out. They can't conceal their disdain for the man yet feel compelled to listen and post. I've come to the conclusion that it makes them feel better about themselves.

I can't wait for the healthy jnlr figures and the predictable outcry.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

I listened to Tubridy for 4 minutes on Monday and 2 minutes yesterday as that was all I could take.

I just want RTE to have ONE of the two stations that has a proper show between 9 and 10am, with a review of the papers.. a straight delivery without the presenter trying to be funny or pretentious or self indulgent. Is that too much too ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

They're out Thursday of next week (Feb 17th).

It's like waiting for your leaving cert results:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Aidric wrote: »
    Ya, except they don't really and that was Bard's point. It's the same few people posting the same things day in day out. They can't conceal their disdain for the man yet feel compelled to listen and post. I've come to the conclusion that it makes them feel better about themselves.
    I can't wait for the healthy jnlr figures and the predictable outcry.

Bard's theory was that posters were just trying to up their post counts. Thats an alternative theory you've come up with there.

Advertisement