Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout: New Vegas

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

omerin wrote: »
    Usually get my games through Stream, what are the pros and cons of buying it in a shop. Is this game out in some countries already, i know its on the Stream servers Friday.

It cheaper and it is steamworks compatible so a retail version will be fully integrated to your steam account (You could throw away the box after install if you want).

Not sure if preload is available, so it might also be as quick to buy it in a shop if preload is not an option and the steam servers are getting hammered on Friday. :) (Actually it may not be as bad as usual as it is not a simultaneous worldwide release)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Through some sort of miracle cock-up, by copy arrived yesterday. Didn't get to play much (only about an hour or so), but I'm enjoying it. It's got a great Western feel to it. I only got to play the xbox version before, which was awkward enough for me (too used to PC games), so I found the PC version a lot easier to use.

Graphically, it's still the same, with all the same character models from the last one (it almost plays out like some bizarre Fallout 3 dream where the people you meet seem to take on new roles). But gameplay wise, it's fairly different at times. There's now a whole load of junk you can make, from weapons to ammo to medicines.

Can't really comment on anything else really, as I've pretty much only done the tutorial and walked about a bit. But I'm loving even just doing that. I'm playing on the hardcore level, but since I've not gone too long, it hasn't really affected me.

And make sure you watch the whole intro video and don't skip it. It's nothing really important, but it's f*cking cool. Got a chill down my spine when Ron Pearlman starts narrating.

Oh, and this isn't a spoiler, but you erally should search and take everything from the start location. There's some good stuff there. and it doesn't count as theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

I cant wait till friday. Fallout 3 was the first game where i managed to get all the trophies. Hopefully this one will as good as F3. I dont really cara abouth the graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Mine got posted the other day. Should arrive today :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

humanji wrote: »
    Through some sort of miracle cock-up, by copy arrived yesterday. Didn't get to play much (only about an hour or so), but I'm enjoying it. It's got a great Western feel to it. I only got to play the xbox version before, which was awkward enough for me (too used to PC games), so I found the PC version a lot easier to use.

Graphically, it's still the same, with all the same character models from the last one (it almost plays out like some bizarre Fallout 3 dream where the people you meet seem to take on new roles). But gameplay wise, it's fairly different at times. There's now a whole load of junk you can make, from weapons to ammo to medicines.

Can't really comment on anything else really, as I've pretty much only done the tutorial and walked about a bit. But I'm loving even just doing that. I'm playing on the hardcore level, but since I've not gone too long, it hasn't really affected me.

And make sure you watch the whole intro video and don't skip it. It's nothing really important, but it's f*cking cool. Got a chill down my spine when Ron Pearlman starts narrating.

Oh, and this isn't a spoiler, but you erally should search and take everything from the start location. There's some good stuff there. and it doesn't count as theft.

Have you had any issues with your graphics card or run into any bugs?

• Advertisement

Have pre-ordered my copy and shall be picking it up on Friday. Cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I hope the reported list of annoying bug issues don't ruin a good game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My copy arrived today as well. Installed it and went to work, so I should be playing by 5.30pm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Have you had any issues with your graphics card or run into any bugs?
    Actually no. I've heard bad things from a lot of people, but luckily I've had no problems so far. I've heard Steam f*cks up the saved games, so we'll see if they still work later.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think I'm running an AMD 5870 GFX card and have 8 gig of ram. I've heard NVidia have a lot of problems.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

humanji wrote: »
    A
    I've heard NVidia have a lot of problems.

Thats what I've hearing as well,I have gtx260,maybe I should have ordered the ps3 version instead :/.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

marco_polo wrote: »

Not sure if preload is available, so it might also be as quick to buy it in a shop if preload is not an option and the steam servers are getting hammered on Friday.

It is available, I've had it preloaded since Monday. Roll on Thursday midnight, hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I heard the PC version is more stable than the console and i know hardware specific and hardware/software combinations problems will show up but the version that has the most polish was meant to be the PC, still getting it on PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i wonder would i be able to fit in my freezer so i freeze myself till friday comes ..

i wonder would i be able to fit in my freezer so i freeze myself till friday comes ..

That didn't work so well for cartman and won't help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Feck sake, once again if you finish the game you cant go on and complete side missions. So bloody stupid!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Played it for about 3 hours last night on the pc with no issues (i5 with GTX460). The console crash/hang is going to be fixed by a day one patch so they have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hogzy wrote: »
    Feck sake, once again if you finish the game you cant go on and complete side missions. So bloody stupid!!!!

We just have to wait 6 months for DLC to bring us back to life :D

CombatCow wrote: »
    Played it for about 3 hours last night on the pc with no issues (i5 with GTX460). The console crash/hang is going to be fixed by a day one patch so they have said.

What about the fact that once you finish the main storyline you cant play on. IGN video said they patched it with Fallout3 but i cant play on after i finished on the PS3 version. Its probably designed to force you to buy the DLC so you can play on :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Unsurprisingly Fallout Vegas will only feature DLCs for XBox and PC initially. This has me wondering, will anyone not buy the game new and simply wait for the inevitable GOTY edition?

For Fallout 3 I bought the game new, loved it, then a year on I bought the GOTY edition. Looking back it was a needless double investment that I'm not sure I want to repeat. That said I loved the game and I do want to play it asap.

Also, there's no hype for this game. Which is a bit wierd. Are people just not bothered because it's the Fallout equivalent of Bioshock 2 i.e. Minor tweaks but essentially feels like the same game with new levels?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Varik wrote: »
    I heard the PC version is more stable than the console and i know hardware specific and hardware/software combinations problems will show up but the version that has the most polish was meant to be the PC, still getting it on PS3.

Oh how the tables have turned :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

why not leave the main missions last so ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

What about the fact that once you finish the main storyline you cant play on. IGN video said they patched it with Fallout3 but i cant play on after i finished on the PS3 version. Its probably designed to force you to buy the DLC so you can play on :mad:

You could be right about the DLC, but I restarted Fallout3 about 4-5 times to try different paths and skills so I'm sure I did most/all of the side missions at one time or another, so it doesn't really bother me at the moment. :pac:

Scráib wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly Fallout Vegas will only feature DLCs for XBox and PC initially. This has me wondering, will anyone not buy the game new and simply wait for the inevitable GOTY edition?

For Fallout 3 I bought the game new, loved it, then a year on I bought the GOTY edition. Looking back it was a needless double investment that I'm not sure I want to repeat. That said I loved the game and I do want to play it asap.

Also, there's no hype for this game. Which is a bit wierd. Are people just not bothered because it's the Fallout equivalent of Bioshock 2 i.e. Minor tweaks but essentially feels like the same game with new levels?

I got 3 new and have the DLC from Plus now but i'll wait for the new vagas when it's comes with the DLC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

That's only going to be a worry if you plan on rushing through the main quest. Not to mention the game will actually warn you before you start the last one, in which case it would be your own fault if you ignore it. Most people will probably sink 50+ hours in before going near the final missions. I know I will.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

DarkJager wrote: »
    That's only going to be a worry if you plan on rushing through the main quest. Not to mention the game will actually warn you before you start the last one, in which case it would be your own fault if you ignore it. Most people will probably sink 50+ hours in before going near the final missions. I know I will.

Fair enough i suppose. I think im going to wait till christmas to get this game. I bought Fallout 3 GOTY on ebay for €15 the other day. Might start that again and play the DLC and then get fallout NV.
    Maximise my enjoyment of the games :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

€50. That's a bit steep isn't it?
    Got mine off of amazon for £23.99. That's about €28. Christ, I could almost buy two copies of the game for the price you paid. And it uses Steamworks so it really doesn't matter where you buy it. Either way, it's gonna in your Steam games list.

Yes, I know that now but after the rectal violation that was Games For Windows Live!!!1 from my retail Fallout3 (not GOTY), I went with shtaem.
    Retail would've been fine too, but I have enough dvd cases as it is.
    And Gabe Newell needs more Cheetos money.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭DufferO8

i might wait for GOTY edition but that could take a while

Why do people find this an issue? :confused:

When i played F3 i wasn't even aware this was going to happen but you get an auto save every time you go through a door, so you have one just after you enter the chamber.....it doesn't even require a player save.

You simply turn around and walk back out. The only difference is that you don't go straight from the games end to roaming, you just reload and forget about the main quest indicator

Complete non-issue IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i actually want to get the game, as i so bored untill black ops and cata comes out...

i wasnt mad about 3 one ( yeah yeah f2 fanboy), but it was playable. new one looks really similar.

the one thing that buggs me, is an engine, characters in it looks so dead...

i might wait for the sales and bargain bin to be honest.

Advertisement