Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting College 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I'm finding it a bit gay, everyone does seem to be in a group of friends from outside college. Just have to wait for socs I'm interested in to start doing events I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Even tough it will take time, its still kinda crappy joining societies and not having anyone to go to an event with.

The only thing I can tell you to do is bite the bullet. I was in your position last year and wanted to get involved in so many societies but for a number of reasons I chickened out and never got involved in anything. That's something I regret a huge amount, I may have made many friends and settled into a new city and way of life quicker. Anybody I know heavily involved in a society loves it, all the members seem so be great friends. So just go, there'll surely be more people in your position there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Purple_Haze

Mabye everybody on Boards should band together and then maybe it'll be easier :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Mabye everybody on Boards should band together and then maybe it'll be easier :rolleyes:

I actually think it'd be pretty cool if people doing similar courses would meet up some time in the next few days.
    Then again it might not be a good idea at all, considering that you'd probably meet people at the society events anyway and there's a TCD beers coming up. Also it'd be mad hard to organise at such short notice.

I normally just find someone who seems to be by themselves rather than in a group, and try to talk to them. :) It nearly always works, unless it's one of those people who don't want to be approached by anyone..

I actually think it'd be pretty cool if people doing similar courses would meet up some time in the next few days.
    Then again it might not be a good idea at all, considering that you'd probably meet people at the society events anyway and there's a TCD beers coming up. Also it'd be mad hard to organise at such short notice.

I normally just find someone who seems to be by themselves rather than in a group, and try to talk to them. :) It nearly always works, unless it's one of those people who don't want to be approached by anyone..

Yeah I agree :D
    I'm just saying that I don't know anybody in my course and its pretty scary so if there was anybody else in the same position I would happily meet up for a pint or something. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Those orientation lectures are a load of balls...

Med pub crawl tomorrow, yeow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

theowen wrote: »
    There's orientation lectures are a load of balls...

Med pub crawl tomorrow, yeow!

What was the orientation meeting about?

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    What was the orientation meeting about?
    How to use the library. Hardly rocket science:rolleyes:

Yeah I agree :D
    I'm just saying that I don't know anybody in my course and its pretty scary so if there was anybody else in the same position I would happily meet up for a pint or something. :)

I'm probably going to the Phil's pub crawl with a friend tomorrow, but if you (or anyone here) want to meet up before it, that'd be quite nice :)

I don't really know anyone in my course either! I've talked to a few but that's it really. =/
    Sure, we'll all make friends eventually :)

I'm probably going to the Phil's pub crawl with a friend tomorrow, but if you (or anyone here) want to meet up before it, that'd be quite nice :)

I don't really know anyone in my course either! I've talked to a few but that's it really. =/
    Sure, we'll all make friends eventually :)

I'm sure we all will :)
    I'd be more than happy to meet up with anybody who fancies it.
    What's the craic with the pub crawl tomorrow night?

This might sound really thick but I have no idea what a 'pub crawl' even is, haha.
    *Edit, I was right, that did sound really thick :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Similar enough story here, everyone in my course seems very cliquey already. :( Half of 'em are friendly, but only to an extent, and they all met last weekend because 99% of them are in Trinity Hall. There are a few who I was talking to after we had a talk from our lecturers and they invited me to join them at the headphone disco but I had nowhere to stay because I commute so had to say no. And even in the talk, everyone sat in little groups beforehand and even when I tried to talk to them there was a definite "you're interrupting our conversation but we'll be polite and say our names/where we're from before resuming" vibe. It's a bit disheartening...
    Just do what I did and don't bother making friends or talking to anyone. :pac:

I'm sure we all will :)
    I'd be more than happy to meet up with anybody who fancies it.
    What's the craic with the pub crawl tomorrow night?

This might sound really thick but I have no idea what a 'pub crawl' even is, haha.
    *Edit, I was right, that did sound really thick :)

Well the Phil's leaflet says they're doing a pub crawl tomorrow at 4 (a bit early I think!) but it has no other details on it so I was thinking of just asking them or something. I'd say they start at the Pav anyway.
    Feel free to PM me if anyone wants to meet up beforehand =]

A pub crawl is basically where you start in one pub and then go to a series of other pubs.

4? I'm driving to Belfast tomorrow at 12 and getting the 16:10 train back to Dublin so wont be around til after 6, was looking forward to my first pub crawl :/

Tragedy wrote: »
    4? I'm driving to Belfast tomorrow at 12 and getting the 16:10 train back to Dublin so wont be around til after 6, was looking forward to my first pub crawl :/

A few other societies also organise pub crawls. The other one I was planning on going to with a friend is the DUMSS pub crawl on thursday 30th of September. I'm quite sure there's more.

I missed the Cancer one today as well!

I know the feeling, theres so much to do but not nearly enough time to do it, haha.

Well the Phil's leaflet says they're doing a pub crawl tomorrow at 4 (a bit early I think!) but it has no other details on it so I was thinking of just asking them or something. I'd say they start at the Pav anyway.
    Feel free to PM me if anyone wants to meet up beforehand =]

A pub crawl is basically where you start in one pub and then go to a series of other pubs.
    I'm pretty sure it starts at the GMB actually;)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Kind of weird with the whole meeting people thing, I know a lot of people in Trinity so have kept with them the entire time just because it's in my comfort zone. But it is hard to meet people. I suppose it is only day 2. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hoping the weather doesnt kill the vibe today/tonight.

Checklist:
    Bank
    ST Card
    Tux(fúcking debs)
    SF Soc
    General Orientation
    Work
    Foam Party!

Whats everyone else doing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Even tough it will take time, its still kinda crappy joining societies and not having anyone to go to an event with.
    Freshers' Week is actually much better for 2nd years tbh, cause you actually know people then. I wasn't bowled over with my Freshers' Week in first year, but it was grand getting to know people once lectures actually began.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Anyone else finding it really hard to make friends? :o

Don't worry,honestly the first 2 weeks can be awkward and the small chat(Name,where your from etc) can be tiring but after that you'll have plenty of friends. I found the best way of making friends is through tutorials because they were small so you get to know the class well.The first couple of class nights out are also great for getting to know people early!

I see your from Dundalk,I got plenty of slagging last yr because of my culchie louth accent,college banter for ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Thought today was brillant, really enjoyed it even though I had six and a half hours to kill! Got talking to more people today than I did all last week, my peer mentors are great and i'm looking forward to this foam party tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ahh ****. Nobody bought bands bar me and two others(a couple) and now I'm thirdwheeling it tonight. Dont feel like wasting the band and splashing a tenner for Kobra instead but tonight is looking like a **** one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Was a good idea to spend half the day in the Pav before the orientation meeting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 neraverine

It was a great pub crawl!

Anyone know whats on tomorrow? I don't have anything to do in college but might head in for the day and feck about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Anyone know whats on tomorrow? I don't have anything to do in college but might head in for the day and feck about.

I know you're just talking about during the day, but just to let you know if you're thinking about going to the 'club philth' thing tomorrow night... the location has been moved to the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Anyone auditioned for the Freshers' Festival yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

What did I miss at the orientation today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Havn't got my ticket yet to Club Philth , I know they are/were for sale from Phil stand but any ideas if its sold out?

Also what are people gonna wear for it -Not gonna wear nice jeans and a shirt if im gonna get paint all over them :D Board shorts n a white tshirt?

Whats the story with the thing the Phil are having before it? - Doors dont open til 12 read?

Advertisement